Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 13:03   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
He he.

I am game for a meet this weekend, but I don't think it makes sense to drive for a minimum of 8 hours* just to spend 2 hours at Horsely hills.

* : Assuming a realistic average speed of 60kmph for 500kms up-down trip. Maybe headers might pare this down to 4 hours (both ways), but then not everyone is superhuman.

P.S.: Wondering why our nitrouuuuuuus is absent on the thread. Hmm.
The average speeds would come down the moment we get off the GQ at Ranipet. Also note that the roads beyond Chittoor are not in great shape so we might find it difficult to do the distance in 4 hours as well, not to forget the breaks which we might have to take, (we took 2 breaks from Tidel Park to Mudaliarkuppam the other time around) add to it the breaks for grub
Old 18th December 2008, 13:34   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nevermind the distance Venkat aka vsg12777. We've got the Suzuki experts who'll drive us there in no time!

So lets do the Horse Hills guys? We can leave by 8 in the morning after breakfast?

If we maintain an average of 100 kph, then we'll be there in 2 hours, spend 2 hours at the horse hills and we get back to reach Chennai by 6ish??
Vikram

The venue is nice, but not the assumption of an AVERAGE speed of 100 kmph !!

Doing 100 kmph on the highway (GQ) is very different from maintaining an average speed of 100 kmph. It's not possible. To maintain an average speed of 100 kmph, we'd have to forget breaks and do more than 110-120 kmph in spurts, to make up for the places where we may have to slow down due to whatever reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
What exactly are we going to do in Horsely Hills for 2 hours ?
Ha ha. Good question John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
He he.

I am game for a meet this weekend, but I don't think it makes sense to drive for a minimum of 8 hours* just to spend 2 hours at Horsely hills.

* : Assuming a realistic average speed of 60kmph for 500kms up-down trip. Maybe headers might pare this down to 4 hours (both ways), but then not everyone is superhuman.

P.S.: Wondering why our nitrouuuuuuus is absent on the thread. Hmm.
SB, you're right and I agree 100% on this. Seriously doesn't make sense driving for so long and getting so little time to spend in our interaction. Yeah 60 kmph is a far more realistic average speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The average speeds would come down the moment we get off the GQ at Ranipet. Also note that the roads beyond Chittoor are not in great shape so we might find it difficult to do the distance in 4 hours as well, not to forget the breaks which we might have to take, (we took 2 breaks from Tidel Park to Mudaliarkuppam the other time around) add to it the breaks for grub
Srikanth, you're absolutely right. We'll need more breaks on a trip of this distance. We're bound to stop for nature's call, drinks, tea/coffee, lunch, breakfast etc. And we'll lose quite a bit of time if you add up all this.

Horseley Hills doesn't seem worth it for a one-day trip folks. Sorry to repeat it, but it'd be tiring, we'd have very little time for interaction too, which is an important point of a "meet", so to say. No point in organising a meet and then spending 80-90% of the time driving our own cars/bikes.

A change in venue would be better. 100-150 kms from Chennai would be possible for a one-day trip comfortably.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 18th December 2008, 16:53   #708
BHPian

May be Horsley hills would be good for a overnighter. How about staying overnight ? But then we would have this ' day-trip-only ' curfew by some grown up kids.

So, how about the lake near Chengalpet ? I know there are boating options there.

Last edited by neoranjit : 18th December 2008 at 16:55.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:52   #709
Senior - BHPian

Guys, 100 kph average is easy, trust me!

Ok, how about Besant Nagar Beach or maybe Tirusulum hills opp the Airport?

EDIT: Even Marina Beach is OK!

Last edited by headers : 18th December 2008 at 17:53.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:57   #710
BHPian

@headers: OTR at marina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what say ?? we'll ask the cops to do a bit of chasing to make it all exciting!!
Old 18th December 2008, 18:12   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guys, 100 kph average is easy, trust me!

Ok, how about Besant Nagar Beach or maybe Tirusulum hills opp the Airport?

EDIT: Even Marina Beach is OK!
You cant be serious Vikram can you, we are diverse group with Cielo's, Wagon R's etc. I hope you understand that am not game for a drag with the Hyundais even though I drive a Suzuki
Old 18th December 2008, 18:14   #712
BHPian

Quote:
You cant be serious Vikram can you, we are diverse group with Cielo's, Wagon R's etc. I hope you understand that am not game for a drag with the Hyundais even though I drive a Suzuki
I doubt if Venkat will bring his ceilo the next time , i guess it will be his Hyundai Santro XO Limited Edition 2007. What say Venkat?
Old 18th December 2008, 18:43   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you understand that am not game for a drag with the Hyundais even though I drive a Suzuki
Nevermind friend. I got your message!

Generally speaking, we drive out somewhere for a Tbhp meet. Infact, my first Tbhp meet was the Besant Nagar Beach.

@Ram.west: If you guys are keen on a 4x4 OTR, we could organise one, one of these days. But we need to know the number of people positively interested and coming. The dates can be mutually decided once the numbers come up.

Arka and I just had a chat this morning on organising a 4x4 OTR for TBHP.

What say guys?

Sorry, dont want to steer this to OFF TOPIC
Old 18th December 2008, 20:02   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I doubt if Venkat will bring his ceilo the next time , i guess it will be his Hyundai Santro XO Limited Edition 2007. What say Venkat?
MS dude, guess what. The Cielo is now fully done up and ready to go on a nice long drive. Drives almost like a new car, except for the few rattling sounds. New tyres too, anyway (195/60/13). Total bill was 25k. Will list out the things that were done after I get home. The car got back only 2 days ago, after being at the My TVS workshop in Saidapet for almost a week. But they've done a nice job to be honest. Once I do up the interiors nicely, it would be almost as good as a new car. Ride is superb now and very quiet. Did a test drive last night around 10.30pm on the Tidel Park road to check it out. Touched 100kmph coolly.

So I am ready to take the car out on a long drive, but it shouldn't be too far away guys. Otherwise it would be a waste. We can't make it a one day trip.

Vikram: Besant Nagar / Marina beaches are useless. Come up with better ideas man !!

I am personally not too keen on a 4x4 OTR or whatever you guys call it. Those with Safaris and Jeeps may enjoy it. But not those with cars. Unless we're gonna sit inside those 4x4s and feel the jumps, bumps and jerks !!
Old 18th December 2008, 22:29   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
I am personally not too keen on a 4x4 OTR or whatever you guys call it. Those with Safaris and Jeeps may enjoy it. But not those with cars. Unless we're gonna sit inside those 4x4s and feel the jumps, bumps and jerks !!
Your thoughts will change after your first OTR.
Old 18th December 2008, 23:50   #716
BHPian

Ranjit: What would exactly change after my 1st OTR ?? Please enlighten me

By the way, for those who're interested, the list of stuff done for the Cielo has been updated in the other thread which I created some time back. Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...re-change.html

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 19th December 2008, 00:40   #717
BANNED

Quote:
Ranjit: What would exactly change after my 1st OTR ?? Please enlighten me
Venkat sir, some things cannot be expressed in ordinary words. Please go for your first OTR - you have some legends there (Arka, Vikram & Vinod, amongst others). I guarantee you will have a blast - you will soon be thinking "MM nn0 or MG 41n?"

Last edited by hrag : 19th December 2008 at 00:46.
Old 19th December 2008, 07:42   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Venkat sir, some things cannot be expressed in ordinary words. Please go for your first OTR -
Well, you stole the words out of me! Thank you http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Old 19th December 2008, 08:03   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beleive me. The fun is not in sitting and jumping inside but standing outside and seeing those jumping

Also, some of the precious moments are -
* when you wait for a jeep to get stuck
* when you push the jeep to show your MP [man power!!]
* when guys run here & there in search of a tow tope,
* using bare hands to clear those mud & slush for the so called vehicle to move
* not to miss those exhibition of the mechanics under the hood & the vehicle.
* and so on...

Purely from an non-jeepers view!!!

Eventhough this is my personal opinion, I am sure 99% of the jeepers would agree.

Yes. There is no fun if the vehicle just do the trail in ease. It should get stuck, struggle and comeout. Thats fun.
Old 19th December 2008, 09:45   #720
BHPian

@mjothi : you just spoke out what was in my mind man!!!!!!!! BTW your report on the Bangalore OTR rocked!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks