Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 12:40   #2971
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
With respect to Apollo's, I will have to check the local tyre dealers to see the exchange rate for the older ones with new BS Duelers or Yoko Geo's AT's. Any idea on this? Mine has just run 450 kms....

Is it possible for me to upsize the tyres and does it void any warranty? what is the next upzise possible for the stock tyres?
I would not suggest and upsize as it would void the warranty. As of now live with the current tyres since the resale will not get you a good value. BS Duelers are good and have been serving me well (at the time of booking I mentioned in the booking form that I wanted BS Duelers and non jutting center caps)
Old 21st July 2012, 16:15   #2972
BHPian

I own a 2003 Non CRDE Scorpio which has done about 93000 kms.
I have recently observed that it is giving out more black smoke than normal.

The Power, pick-up, fuel Consumption is all fine. I recently had a 3500 km trip to Kashmir & Leh without any problems with the engine. I got the Clutch Plate, Preassure Plate, and Clutch release bearing replaced for the first time.

What could be causing the excessive black smoke and does anybody have any idea what can be done to resolve it ?

Styler
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:15   #2973
BHPian

Folks,

Has anyone fitted K&N air filters in their Scorpio. I had done in my old scorpio but i sold in a span of 1 month and bought other one. I have visited these guys during auto exhibition at Bandra Mumbai and they said they do not have a specific one for MHawk models but can easily fit one of their filters. They say its not a big thing and they can manage it and i neeed to go to one of their dealers who will get it done.

I have no great knowledge on air filters and with demo and my basic kanowledge i know its good to have K&N air filter. It costs about 4-5K.

Can anyone help..

Dear Moderators,

Tried finding answers but couldnt find any relevant posts. Incase it exists for scoprio,please redirect me to the post.
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:50   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
I have recently observed that it is giving out more black smoke than normal.
The Power, pick-up, fuel Consumption is all fine.
What could be causing the excessive black smoke and does anybody have any idea what can be done to resolve it ?
Sounds like a sticky EGR valve issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Has anyone fitted K&N air filters in their Scorpio.
Yes, K&N filters are available for the mHawk too, but my take on this is to stick to the stock filter, changing at roughly 15-20k km intervals (M&M recommends 40k km IIRC).

The pros and cons of such performance filters (to my mind, the cons outweigh the pros) have been extensively discussed on T-BHP and elsewhere, and you might want to read up on this before doing the conversion. Also, an aftermarket filter voids warranty.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd July 2012 at 00:53.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:03   #2975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kARTIK IYER View Post
Folks,

Has anyone fitted K&N air filters in their Scorpio. I had done in my old scorpio but i sold in a span of 1 month and bought other one. I have visited these guys during auto exhibition at Bandra Mumbai and they said they do not have a specific one for MHawk models but can easily fit one of their filters. They say its not a big thing and they can manage it and i neeed to go to one of their dealers who will get it done.

I have no great knowledge on air filters and with demo and my basic kanowledge i know its good to have K&N air filter. It costs about 4-5K.

Can anyone help..

Dear Moderators,

Tried finding answers but couldnt find any relevant posts. Incase it exists for scoprio,please redirect me to the post.
Please do not try retrofitting aftermarket filters if they are not specifically made for your vehicle. Also, avoid K&N as its overpriced. Here in a nutshell is why I dont use K&N in my car:

a) Voids warranty

b) At a price of nearly Rs 6000 for the filter, I can afford to change my OEM air filter 8 times every 10,000 kms (yes that's right every 10K kms) instead of the mfr specified 40K kms and the money saved will afford air filter changes till 80,000 kms

c)Oil used in k&N is known to coat the MAF sensor especially if used in excess after a cleaning. With an OEM paper filter there's no risk. Also wanted to mention that paper filters filter dust better than other materials. That's why nearly all car mfrs have shifted to paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The pros and cons of such performance filters (to my mind, the cons outweigh the pros) have been extensively discussed on T-BHP and elsewhere, and you might want to read up on this before doing the conversion. Also, an aftermarket filter voids warranty.
+1

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd July 2012 at 22:05.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:36   #2976
BHPian

Just a clarification, my Feb 2011 M-hawk does not have a paper filter.
It's the same old oil soaked foam filter that was on my crde.
Manually cleaning your filters every 5000 kms is good enough to keep your engine breathing nice and easy. I wouldn't recommend performance filters for reasons already mentioned in the posts above.
All you have to do is remove the filter and dust it. I keep doing it regularly for my swift Vdi and M-hawk.
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:25   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

kARTIK IYER please read this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-filters.html
Old 24th July 2012, 03:52   #2978
BHPian

I have come across two issues lately in my Mhawk SLE (2011)
1. My water spray for front windshield is not fucntioning (rear is working though) and my auto siren went mute. Curious if the wiring for both is same?
2. I can hear noise from both rear view mirrors in rough patches. I hope this can be dissambled and tigthened from inside to kill the vibration noise. A wiseman in ASC Global Galleria Thane advise me to replace it with new ones.. lol.. what a solution.

Will look forward for the feedback if anyone experienced the above issues.

Last edited by Real_man : 24th July 2012 at 03:53.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:33   #2979
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post
1. My water spray for front windshield is not fucntioning (rear is working though) and my auto siren went mute. Curious if the wiring for both is same?
2. I can hear noise from both rear view mirrors in rough patches. I hope this can be dissambled and tigthened from inside to kill the vibration noise. A wiseman in ASC Global Galleria Thane advise me to replace it with new ones.. lol.. what a solution.

1. The motors are different for the front and rear washers. Check the motor, the nozzle and finally the pipe from the motor to the nozzle.
2. The mirrors cannot be disassembled by the ASC which is why the suggestion from GG. Go to a local mirror repair shop and it should get resolved there, however, if something is broken, you might need to replace them.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 16:39   #2980
BHPian

Usually the first step taken by the ASC in case of a mirror issue is to dismantle them and add padding between the mirror and it's holder. Ask them to do the same in a firm tone and they should oblige.
Mirror's are also dismantled when one fits the chrome cover with the turn indicator lights, to pass the wire through the assembly. If the ASC is acting up go to any good accessory guy, he should do it for you.
Old 25th July 2012, 09:40   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_man View Post

1. Water Spray - The motor might have conked off, you would be able to have it replaced under warranty, if it is wiring then they would probably charge for replacement.
2. Siren - The siren tends to die with water ingress, again it can be replaced under warranty (mine went off after 4 years and cost me 800 bucks).
3. OVRM's - Can be opened and refitted and padded from inside.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 22:33   #2982

Hi Scorpio Riders !,

I have posted this request in a thread earlier but it has not worked out. I would like help in identifying the correct 100% synthetic engine oil for my Scorpio M Hawk 2011 model done over 28K. I tried the Mobile delvac MX but it is not super synthetic. Looking for the desired 15w40 API CHIV for the euro IV MHawk engine. If anyone has been able to identify and use this, pl do respond with the details of Brand, and the results. Thank You.
Old 27th July 2012, 17:07   #2983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_sukhu View Post
Hi Scorpio Riders !,

I have posted this request in a thread earlier but it has not worked out. I would like help in identifying the correct 100% synthetic engine oil for my Scorpio M Hawk 2011 model done over 28K. I tried the Mobile delvac MX but it is not super synthetic. Looking for the desired 15w40 API CHIV for the euro IV MHawk engine. If anyone has been able to identify and use this, pl do respond with the details of Brand, and the results. Thank You.
Sometime back I too was keen to use synthetic oil, one of the team-bhp friend asked me why I needed it. I didn't have a good answer. I still think 'Synthetic oil' is a fancy think, like Fuel addictive for normal drive on roads.
Old 27th July 2012, 17:12   #2984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep_sukhu View Post
Looking for the desired 15w40 API CHIV for the euro IV MHawk engine. If anyone has been able to identify and use this, pl do respond with the details of Brand, and the results. Thank You.
I might be wrong, but I don't think there's any fully synthetic diesel oil in the market with 15W40 CH4 specs. Check these 2 threads for more info:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-oils-69.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...l-oil-236.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 31st July 2012, 12:47   #2985

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I might be wrong, but I don't think there's any fully synthetic diesel oil in the market with 15W40 CH4 specs. Check these 2 threads for more info:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-oils-69.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...l-oil-236.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Yes Vikram, That is the main concern. Cant find a 100% synthetic for the M hawk ! I switched to Synthetic on my esteem when it did 50K kms ! today at 105000 is it smooth as silk & silent as compared to the state of the engine at 50K. Any way the hunt is on !!! Thanks again....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks