Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 16:22   #2221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Any idea why this happened and how could it be fixed?

Cheers
Saar, your handbrake setting is not proper / the shoes are not extending according to the specification.

Quote:
Anything else?
First check if your handbrake has a 7 notch setting or not. By 7 notch I mean, when you apply handbrake from '0' position, it should be Click - Click - Click - Click - Click - Click - Click (gradual increase in effort with effort becoming maximum at the 7th click). Hope it is clear.

Spike
Old 16th May 2011, 16:25   #2222
BHPian

Quote:
I always keep the handbrake engaged. Yesterday I intentionally left it to check something else when I noticed this happening. But the vehicle weighs only 2.1 Tons. Bolero used to weigh about 1700 Kgs, not much difference.

Anything else?
Its not only about the weight (which is more) but also the engine characteristics and gear ratios.
Old 16th May 2011, 16:29   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Saar, your handbrake setting is not proper / the shoes are not extending according to the specification.
Saar, my handbrakes are fine!

They problem is with the GB I presume!
Old 16th May 2011, 16:37   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher
Saar, my handbrakes are fine!

They problem is with the GB I presume!
The clutch will give in way before the gearbox does. I am sure you heard no metal sound but just the vehicle rolling back in steps, just as the engine will if you try to hand crank it, or the way it behaves when u push start a vehicle. It's just the gravity overcoming the cylinder pressure.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:56   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Are you sure the steering lock mechanism is not interfering?
Insert the key and gently turn the steering wheel a little to each side with one hand while trying to turn the key with the other. At one particular point it should turn smoothly without any obstruction.
In the Scorpio the steering lock interference is there in the locked position where you need to move the steering left and right while turning the key. But I have faced this issue in all positions so the key setup was replaced under warranty.
Old 17th May 2011, 17:36   #2226
Senior - BHPian

I have a problem with the torsion bar setup in the front suspension of my Scorpio listed here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2355135

Please help.

Cheers
Old 19th May 2011, 13:03   #2227
BHPian

My 2005 Non Crde Scorpio is due for its 120000kms service. Right now it is at Trivandrum, Kerala. I have never serviced it in Trivadrum before. Which MASS should I give it for service.? and can I get any reference there ?

What all things I should get it checked at this service.

Please note that I have done the full suspension work and changed the engine mounts at 105000. In between I had to replace the crank pulley and pulley bolt around 105000. The mechanic who replaced it, told me to check the crack pulley during the service interval because there is a slight wobble in the pulley bolt.

The FE also came down now a days.

Please help me with the above queries. Spike, are you from Trivandrum? and will you able to help me.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:05   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
My 2005 Non Crde Scorpio is due for its 120000kms service. Right now it is at Trivandrum, Kerala. I have never serviced it in Trivadrum before. Which MASS should I give it for service.? and can I get any reference there ?

What all things I should get it checked at this service.

Please note that I have done the full suspension work and changed the engine mounts at 105000. In between I had to replace the crank pulley and pulley bolt around 105000. The mechanic who replaced it, told me to check the crack pulley during the service interval because there is a slight wobble in the pulley bolt.

The FE also came down now a days.

Please help me with the above queries. Spike, are you from Trivandrum? and will you able to help me.
TVS in Trivandrum is good, I have visited them 4 times before, last being in April.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 13:48   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Speed gladiator I'm not from Trivandrum, I'm from Alleppey (Kayamkulam to be precise). HVK has answered your query, if there is anything else, just let me know. I am not positioned in Kerala right now.

Spike
Old 19th May 2011, 18:51   #2230
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

any chance of some inputs guys? gharika thanks for your input but could you plug in some pics as well so I can judge whether your method suits me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
a query here:

the luggage bay in the scorpio is wide open and its contents are exposed to anyone who cares to simply peer inside through the window.
To avoid such things many imported and higher end SUV's offer the luggage bay curtain/ cover which is usually made of PVC or some other synthetic material.
This can typically be pulled into place and hooked on to the rear door or the sides of the luggage bay. When not in use it can be unhooked and simply released, whereupon it just retracts and rolls itself up seamlessly - rather similar in nature to the seat belt roller mechanism.
Is there any way that one can get this luggage bay curtain/ cover facility retrofitted into a Scorpio?
I am thinking this would be a very welcome addition to my Scorp especially since I ve recently removed the last 2 jump seats, thereby increasing my load bay area by a significant degree. However, now, the downside is that whenever I look at it, I feel very insecure about even the humble contents - i.e; the silly old tool bag and cleaning cloth etc which lie there and might at some time offer some kind of temptation to wanton evildoers - I would like to avoid this by trying to get the luggage bay curtain retro fitted.
Any ideas on whether this is possible at all and whether anyone on the forum has actually done it. A rough idea of the likely costs too, would be greatly appreciated.
Awaiting responses please.
Thanks in advance.
Old 20th May 2011, 04:59   #2231

Battery Kaput!
A week or so ago while driving to work, my car stereo (hooked to an ipod) started giving me trouble... basically it went dead & came back after a few seconds. This repeated a few times. I did not pay attention to the same. A couple of days later the scorp just stopped dead on the road... and would not start. Had to call in the Mahindra Service Center & paid INR600 to have the car jump started after waiting for an hour or so... The guy told me "saab battery dead ho gaya hai.. original battery hai kya?" My scorp had done approx. 58,000 kms then. The next day i got a brand new Exide battery.
Now, after a week while on my way back from office, the same thing happened again. I switched off the stereo.. in a few minutes the headlights started dimming. I managed to get the scorp back to the apartment (with headlight switched off). After parking it, tried to start it however just heard a clicking sound - the engine did not come to life.
Any clues on what may have gone wrong?
I am planning to take the Scorpio to Bhasin Motors tomorrow to get it checked...
Old 20th May 2011, 12:54   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydindian View Post
Battery Kaput!
A week or so ago while driving to work, my car stereo (hooked to an ipod) started giving me trouble... basically it went dead & came back after a few seconds. This repeated a few times. I did not pay attention to the same. A couple of days later the scorp just stopped dead on the road... and would not start. Had to call in the Mahindra Service Center & paid INR600 to have the car jump started after waiting for an hour or so... The guy told me "saab battery dead ho gaya hai.. original battery hai kya?" My scorp had done approx. 58,000 kms then. The next day i got a brand new Exide battery.
Now, after a week while on my way back from office, the same thing happened again. I switched off the stereo.. in a few minutes the headlights started dimming. I managed to get the scorp back to the apartment (with headlight switched off). After parking it, tried to start it however just heard a clicking sound - the engine did not come to life.
Any clues on what may have gone wrong?
I am planning to take the Scorpio to Bhasin Motors tomorrow to get it checked...
Your charging circuit is Kaput! Check the alternator. Also check the rectifier diodes, mostly they short, so your battery drains, but at times they just blow like fuses and be open. If you can, get an ammeter, and hook it up to the wire connected to battery (not the starter cable which is thick) in series.

That is why I always liked the Ammeter in my Ambassador, you get instant feedback on the charging/discharging.

Last edited by Aroy : 20th May 2011 at 13:06.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 00:42   #2233
BHPian

Scorpio's cross failure

Hi guys, my dad owns a scorpio which is 3 year old. Most of the time it sits in the garage and has done 20K kms only. Few days ago, I took it out and was surprised to find a knocking sound (like "tann") every time I released the clutch and the vehicle got into motion. It is very prominent in the first and second gear. I thought something might be loose and told the guys about it when giving it for the 20K servicing. In the afternoon, I got a call from them saying the problem is in "cross" and they will have to replace it. I just told them to leave it and keep it to general servicing along with the engine, gear and differential oil changes. Could someone enlighten me on what exactly is a "cross" in a scorpio. How can it get damage on its own? Are the service center guys taking me for a ride?
Old 24th May 2011, 07:18   #2234
BANNED

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUNKWN View Post
Could someone enlighten me on what exactly is a "cross" in a scorpio. How can it get damage on its own? Are the service center guys taking me for a ride?
What they meant is the Universal Joint cross on the prop shaft. The clanging noise is a result of the cross/cross bearings being worn out. 20k kms seems too little for it though unless the vehicle has seen some hard driving. Get it opened and checked. Re greasing could at times resolve the issue as well.

Here is a pic of the famous 'Cross'.

OT: This thread can be merged to the Scorpio issues thread.
Attached Images

n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 07:53   #2235
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Cross is what allows the propeller shaft to bend to align with differential. It is important part of transmission train and so needs to be in good working condition. I'd say get it replaced. As the wear increases the clanging that you hear will increase.

Why the clanging? There is a free play in the joint and whenever there is change in direction of power transfer (accelerate-de-accelerate) the shaft rotates freely and then hits the other side of retaining cup (holder). This send a shock in both directions and further causes wear in the gear meshing of gear box and differential. As this gets repeated the gear box and differential (one or other or both) start giving a humming sound. And before you think not much acceleration de-acceleration occurs - think again. Every time you move, change gear or adjust speed this change in power transfer direction occurs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks