Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 13:06   #2296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler
Speed Gladiator, the first thing I would still try is a new battery

Styler
100% agree, it's the battery. When it gets enough charge it works fine, otherwise it fails to start. The cells are damaged due to low acid level.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 08:17   #2297
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Speed Gladiator, the first thing I would still try is a new battery

Styler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
100% agree, it's the battery. When it gets enough charge it works fine, otherwise it fails to start. The cells are damaged due to low acid level.
I have to claim for the warranty now. I will let you know the results one I change the battery.

, What is the procedure to claim the warranty of a battery. Since i will be driving the car to the shop. Even if they try to start the engine, it will start with the first crank itself. Then how can I prove that that the battery is faulty to them.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:00   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I have to claim for the warranty now. I will let you know the results one I change the battery.

, What is the procedure to claim the warranty of a battery. Since i will be driving the car to the shop. Even if they try to start the engine, it will start with the first crank itself. Then how can I prove that that the battery is faulty to them.
They will check the health of the each Cell with a Acid Density meter.

I have a 8 yr old Scorpio. My first OEM Amaron battery was running good for 5 yrs. It just changed it as a preventive measure when it completed 5 yrs. My 2nd battery was running good and completed 3 yrs recently. I just got it changed as a preventive measure before a long trip to the Hills where temperatures are low and altitude is high.

Styler
Old 8th July 2011, 09:45   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post

There are two methods used

1. Check the acid density. This is not fool proof as water filled after the acid spills will reduce the density.
2. Use a high discharge cell meter. This has a strip between the two prongs of the meter which acts as a load. The resistance of the strip is tailored to the cell capacity. The drop in voltage indicates the cell health under high discharge. If the cell is weak it will show immediately.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 14:13   #2300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
...My first OEM Amaron battery was running good for 5 yrs. ...
What was the capacity rating of this battery? 65AH or larger?
I do feel that the rather low capacity batteries that M&M is fitting on Scorpios is the main reason why the batteries don't last beyond 3 years or so!
With all systems being fine, I'd expect five years of life from any lead acid battery.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:19   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
What was the capacity rating of this battery? 65AH or larger?
I do feel that the rather low capacity batteries that M&M is fitting on Scorpios is the main reason why the batteries don't last beyond 3 years or so!
With all systems being fine, I'd expect five years of life from any lead acid battery.
Hi Anup,

The OEM battery was an Amaron (White Colored) 65AH Battery Model 65D26R which lasted more than 5 yrs. Because of the excellent service of the OEM Amaron, I have become a loyal Amaron Customer.

I tried to find the same battery for my first replacement, but I was told by Amaron Office that this battery comes only as an OEM. They recommended the Amaron 90D26R (Green Colored Case) 65 AH Battery for replacement. So this was my first replacement, and was going strong on completing 3 yrs.

A month back, I had asked for recommendations for my second change, as a preventive replacement for my good 3 yr old battery, and I was thinking of going in for an 80 AH battery. I spoke to Amaron to ask them for a 80 AH Battery for the Scorpio. They said there is no 80AH Battery for the Scorpio and they strongly recommended the 95D26R 65AH Battery. They told me this model has replaced my previous 90D26R now. I just went with this. It costed me 5,000 in exchange of my good 3 yr old battery.

To summarize I would be happy if a battery gives me good trouble free service for 3 years. Amaron has been doing this for me.

Styler
Old 11th July 2011, 13:06   #2302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
2. Use a high discharge cell meter. This has a strip between the two prongs of the meter which acts as a load. The resistance of the strip is tailored to the cell capacity. The drop in voltage indicates the cell health under high discharge. If the cell is weak it will show immediately.
Can't apply to new generation batteries because the individual terminals of the cells are sealed.
Old 11th July 2011, 18:50   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Can't apply to new generation batteries because the individual terminals of the cells are sealed.
There used to be a 12/24V version also. Do not know if it is still available.

Else calculate the resistance required to simulate the load from literature, and use it to measure the terminal voltage. If any cell is failed or on the brink, the voltage drop will reveal it.

Some literature
Battery-Web.com - EZ Red B1100 Battery Load Tester
Battery-Web.com - BVA-300 Auto Meter Load Tester

Battery Tutorial
Testing Lead Acid Batteries – Battery University
How to Use a Lead Acid Battery Tester | eHow.com
Old 13th July 2011, 12:01   #2304
BHPian

My scorpio had a puncture y'day and after fixing the same, I went
in for a wheel alignment check. The alignment report says that "Front Axle
Camber left is 1 degree and 4 minutes (1.04) and Camber cross is 0.39.
The person that did the alignment claims that this is not normal. Does this warrant a suspension check ? Any inputs welcome

I called my SA at Sireeh Auto and they are yet to revert back :(
Old 13th July 2011, 23:00   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

@chandras:

Scorpio looses it's alignment pretty easily. I found out the hard way after a tire was chewed up. Now, I religiously check it every 2500 kms.
Old 13th July 2011, 23:04   #2306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@chandras:

Scorpio looses it's alignment pretty easily. I found out the hard way after a tire was chewed up. Now, I religiously check it every 2500 kms.
Front or Rear?? Maybe only common to 4X4(Since it has different front setup). Our VLX did 55k on stock tires with a lot of abuse, rarely ever we took it for alignment.
Old 18th July 2011, 16:26   #2307
BHPian

Front left. Took the vehicle to Sireesh and their alignment machine was broken that day However, SA drove the vehicle and claimed everything is in order. His argument was that the settings for the new refresh models differ from the old scorpio's and hence the alignment baseline data that the shop (where the alignment was checked) used could be different. Anyways have saved the report. Will have to get the alignment checked during my next service
Old 18th July 2011, 20:26   #2308
Senior - BHPian

The SA is correct, readings are different for old Scorpios and newer model Scorpios, so be careful while going for WA. I think I have shared the comparison elsewhere on the forum.

Spike
Old 18th July 2011, 21:33   #2309
BHPian

Spike, thanks, now my worry is, the WA adjusted toe settings, then that shouldn't be valid ? :-) Should that be reverted back?
Old 18th July 2011, 22:11   #2310
Senior - BHPian

^^Depends on what your initial readings were. Toe value specifications has not changed AFAIK but Toe is set at the last (once Caster and Camber) has been set. Post the readings (your Scorpio make also) and I will tell you what is correct and what is not.

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks