Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2014, 17:43   #3721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

The compressor pulley bearing will have to be replaced. And associated parts in the compressor only, it wil be certain only once they open and inspect the compressor.
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:32   #3722
BHPian

Last week got my Scorpio serviced.It was the 70000kms service. There was one major issue with the Scorpio.There was a leak in the cooling coil and therefore drop in cooling. Had to replace the cooling coil, that came up to 16000 bucks .They filled the gas for the air con as well.Two TPMS sensors were faulty and i didn't replace them(ASC quoted 4000 for a pair).The bridgestone tyres were replaced by the same make as I was more than satisfied with them.They were 7750 a piece.I bought 3 tyres and used my Stepney as the fourth. I change the oil every 10000kms therefore I had that done along with oil filter. I could have saved that 16000 bucks for the cooling coil stuff had I opted for extended warranty.
Old 13th May 2014, 12:29   #3723
BHPian

Dear All,

This year I plan to drive Spiti / Lahaul - Round Trip from Kinnaur to Kullu Valley. Or if we are brave enough we might go from Lahaul to Chamba through Sach Pass. It's a difficult drive so I am planning to do all the preventive maintenance before I go.
My 2003 Non-Crde Scorpio has done 1,10,000 kms and is running just fine.
I just got it serviced at MASS, and got a complete check up done.
Some minor things were done
Tappet Cover Packing had leaked and was replaced.
Some link rods in the front suspension were changed.
Basic Service - Oil / OilFilter / Fuel Filter were changed.
Gear and Differential oil Changed.
Belts and Bearings checked. Brakes checked.
The Scorpio is running fine, except that the idling rpm is a little high around 950 and the noise and vibration levels are more than what they used to be. It does give out black smoke sometimes, but the pickup and average are fine.

The service adviser told me that I could get the Injectors and Fuel Pump Serviced and this would get the rpm, noise vibration levels back to normal. He told me that there are some shops in Zamrudpur, GKI market who service Diesel Fuel Pumps and Injectors. Has anybody got Injectors & Fuel Pumps Serviced ?

Also I am planning to get the Alternator Serviced at a Bosch Authorized Auto-Eletctrical workshop. Is that a good idea ?

These will be preventive maintenance things.

GD Sir, HVK Sir your advise would be very helpful. HVK Sir have you ever got your Alternator / Fuel Pump / Injectors serviced ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 13th May 2014 at 12:49.
Old 13th May 2014, 13:02   #3724
BHPian

Last fortnight got my scorp serviced at 65K, couple of queries.

a) whats is the expected kms for clutch overhauling, mine seems to be fine however i feel minor jerk while changing gears and also some loss of power while in half clutch.

b) want to crosscheck if the alternator is working fine ,have experienced flicker couple of times while in idle ,

c) Also my extended warranty expires at the end of current year and is there any part which needs to be thoroughly checked for preventive maintenance and possibly covered by warranty incase of replacement .
Old 13th May 2014, 19:47   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
The Scorpio is running fine, except that the idling rpm is a little high around 950 and the noise and vibration levels are more than what they used to be. It does give out black smoke sometimes, but the pickup and average are fine.

The service adviser told me that I could get the Injectors and Fuel Pump Serviced and this would get the rpm, noise vibration levels back to normal. He told me that there are some shops in Zamrudpur, GKI market who service Diesel Fuel Pumps and Injectors. Has anybody got Injectors & Fuel Pumps Serviced ?

Also I am planning to get the Alternator Serviced at a Bosch Authorized Auto-Eletctrical workshop. Is that a good idea ?

These will be preventive maintenance things.

GD Sir, HVK Sir your advise would be very helpful. HVK Sir have you ever got your Alternator / Fuel Pump / Injectors serviced ?

Styler
My Scorpio engine has now done 3,80,000 kms

1. I have changed rectifiers, bearings in Alternator 4 times. They were diagnosed thanks to the bearing noise/ vibration (on 2 occasions) and due to erratic charging (on other 2).These were done only in the Bosch service centre. Do not have it done at M&M ASC because the best technicians are in the Bosch service centres (and most ASCs send it to them anyway, adding their fat margins)

2. In initial years, I have been conned into doing the engine "flushing" which was apparently to "clean" injectors. Last 3 years I have not touched the injectors. I use System D occasionally. I have no reason to suspect that injectors are not in good condition. No black smoke, FE remains good, accelerator superb.

3. Fuel Pump - never touched it but.... in Apr 2009, it developed leaks which was diagnosed to a worn-out O-Ring. Bosch service centre said not to worry, unless performance is affected, no need to open up the pump since that would mean replacing shafts, etc and spoiling the existing calibration. Subsequently, I discovered that the leakage came and went occasionally - and this I attributed to choking up of injectors (and resultant back-pressure causing fuel to recoil and force its way out of the worn-out O-ring) - and on changing quality of fuel and use of System D I managed to solve the problem. Performance remained unaffected, and I have fuel leakages sometimes. I have shown it to Bosch at least 3-4 times since & they said that it is better to leave it untouched unless performance is seen to be visibly affected

I would recommend going ONLY to Bosch or Lucas service centres (depending on make of your alternator, starter motor and fuel pump). Do NOT go elsewhere, the former is well-equipped, has skilled mechanics and has all the necessary parts. The work is done in 2-3 hours and delivery is same day if you give it in the morning.

I have heard horror stories from those who opened their fuel pumps.
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 08:01   #3726
Team-BHP Support

There is some squeak/rattle noise from driver side window glass. What could be it?

And are the service intervals at every 5,000 kms? If yes, its pretty short then. We got this car for our company on 4th February & 16,000 kms have been done. Means, a service every month.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:54   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
There is some squeak/rattle noise from driver side window glass. What could be it?
Window glass squeak is new,must be a new trait of the infamous self healing patent the Scorpio holds. Does this happen with the glass fully rolled down or when the window is closed ? The odo plastic usually has this irritating squeak though.

Quote:
And are the service intervals at every 5,000 kms? If yes, its pretty short then. We got this car for our company on 4th February & 16,000 kms have been done. Means, a service every month.
It's every 10k after the 15k service schedule.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:58   #3728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Window glass squeak is new,must be a new trait of the infamous self healing patent the Scorpio holds. Does this happen with the glass fully rolled down or when the window is closed ? The odo plastic usually has this irritating squeak though.
The window is rolled up, always. And from what I can make out, sound is there in the driver side door/window. But it sure is a glass noise.

I can't drive properly with an open window :(
Old 14th May 2014, 12:06   #3729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When is the sound coming...while rolling or opening closing the door when the window is rolled down ?
Old 14th May 2014, 12:18   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
are your sure ! since i have been servicing mine every 5k and the service manual also states 5k interval , if it is 10k i would have saved 15-20k .Either ways just waiting for my extended warranty to expire at end of this year will get my scorpio serviced outside for routine maintenance.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:29   #3731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
When is the sound coming...while rolling or opening closing the door when the window is rolled down ?
While driving with window in up position and not particular to bad roads.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:39   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nope, the Interval is every 5K kms.
Thankfully our running is less,so they dont seem to pinch much.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 14th May 2014 at 12:45.
Old 14th May 2014, 17:43   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My Scorpio engine has now done 3,80,000 kms

1. I have changed rectifiers, bearings in Alternator 4 times. They were diagnosed thanks to the bearing noise/ vibration (on 2 occasions) and due to erratic charging (on other 2).These were done only in the Bosch service centre. Do not have it done at M&M ASC because the best technicians are in the Bosch service centres (and most ASCs send it to them anyway, adding their fat margins)

2. In initial years, I have been conned into doing the engine "flushing" which was apparently to "clean" injectors. Last 3 years I have not touched the injectors. I use System D occasionally. I have no reason to suspect that injectors are not in good condition. No black smoke, FE remains good, accelerator superb.

3. Fuel Pump - never touched it but.... in Apr 2009, it developed leaks which was diagnosed to a worn-out O-Ring. Bosch service centre said not to worry, unless performance is affected, no need to open up the pump since that would mean replacing shafts, etc and spoiling the existing calibration. Subsequently, I discovered that the leakage came and went occasionally - and this I attributed to choking up of injectors (and resultant back-pressure causing fuel to recoil and force its way out of the worn-out O-ring) - and on changing quality of fuel and use of System D I managed to solve the problem. Performance remained unaffected, and I have fuel leakages sometimes. I have shown it to Bosch at least 3-4 times since & they said that it is better to leave it untouched unless performance is seen to be visibly affected

I would recommend going ONLY to Bosch or Lucas service centres (depending on make of your alternator, starter motor and fuel pump). Do NOT go elsewhere, the former is well-equipped, has skilled mechanics and has all the necessary parts. The work is done in 2-3 hours and delivery is same day if you give it in the morning.

I have heard horror stories from those who opened their fuel pumps.

HVK Sir

Thanks a lot for a detailed history of maintenance of Injectors, Fuel Pump and Alternator.

Truly amazing that you have done 3.8 lac kms without ever removing / servicing the Injectors or the Fuel Pump.

I think I will also leave the injectors, and Fuel Pump alone. I have done just 1.1 lac kms. The thought of getting the injectors cleaned came because somebody had mentioned that he had no problems starting the Scorpio in High Altitudes of Leh as he had just got the injectors cleaned before the trip.

I also did get the bearing of alternator changed once. I will just get it serviced at the bosch service center.

Your Service Record is our blue-book to follow.

Thanks once again.

Styler
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 09:47   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
are your sure ! since i have been servicing mine every 5k and the service manual also states 5k interval , if it is 10k i would have saved 15-20k .Either ways just waiting for my extended warranty to expire at end of this year will get my scorpio serviced outside for routine maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nope, the Interval is every 5K kms.
Thankfully our running is less,so they dont seem to pinch much.
I stand corrected folks, the service interval is 5k kms. Damn it was on my own ownership thread and I overlooked that .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 10:30   #3735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The window is rolled up, always. And from what I can make out, sound is there in the driver side door/window. But it sure is a glass noise. I can't drive properly with an open window :(
Do this:

Roll down the driver side window completely and drive over a rough / cobble-stoned road. While you are driving, lightly touch the RHS ORVM glass. If that's not vibrating, then touch the ORVM casing. My guess is it's one of these 2 that is vibrating, and not the window. I used to get this sound in my SLE only when the ORVM glass was at a particular angle, not otherwise. Changed the angle a little bit, and the noise stopped If this doesn't work, then you might have to consult the ASC or a FNG.

If it's indeed the window and not the ORVM glass/casing, then maybe tightening/refitting the rubber beading would help.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks