Old 2nd May 2011, 15:48   #496
BHPian

Re: Edmund : My car's Rebuild Maruti 800

Ed ant updates
beetle_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:27   #497
BHPian

No updates man, the car is moving to my brother in Bangalore as im in germany now, interning at MercedesBenz Design.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:30   #498
BHPian

hey edmund,
could you tell me where you got your seat work done in pune? my palio's seats are in need of some TLC.
Old 5th February 2012, 17:50   #499
BHPian

The Big Question!

ENGINE SWAP

YES or NO

PS: If yes, then where do i get an engine and which one?
Old 5th February 2012, 22:57   #500
Senior - BHPian

^^

engine Swap. ? which one are you thinking.

I am also considering the same for very long. Lack of time is what deferring me. As I like to do my work myself.
Old 6th February 2012, 01:21   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^

engine Swap. ? which one are you thinking.

I am also considering the same for very long. Lack of time is what deferring me. As I like to do my work myself.
The options i am considering are:

K10B: 998 cc (60.9 cu in) DOHC 12-valve VVT from the Wagon R

K10A: 996 cc (60.8 cu in) (68.0 x 68.6 mm) DOHC 16-valve, later with VVT and available with turbocharging. - The K10A has variable inlet cam timing and an 8.4:1 static compression ratio. Maximum output of the turbo version is 74 kW at 6,500 rpm and 122 Nm at 3,000 rpm. In naturally aspirated form it produces (70 PS). From the New Alto.

F10A: 1.0 L (970 cc/59 cu in, 65.5 x 72.0 mm) from the Maruti 1000.

F10D: 1.1 L (1,061 cc, 68.5 x 72.0 mm). This is a four-cylinder version of the 796 cc F8D.

G10B: was an all aluminium engine debuted in Maruti Zen in India in 1993. It was a 4 cylinder 993cc (72mm X 61mm) SOHC 16-valve engine and is the first all-aluminum engine Suzuki made for the Indian market. It was sold in both carburetted and MPFI form. It was widely used in motorsport in India due to its light weight and tunability. The mounting points of the engine block were similar to that of the G13 and so an engine swap was a relatively easy task. It was phased out when production of Zen ceased in 2006. It was made only in India but was sold in all countries the Zen was sold.

Source: List of Suzuki engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any know-how from guys who have already done successful swaps will be appreciated!

Initial questions are:

Where to buy the engine from?
Which one would work best?
How much to pay for one?
Who can do a real good swap in Bangalore or Chennai?
Old 6th February 2012, 20:34   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Any know-how from guys who have already done successful swaps will be appreciated!

Initial questions are:

Where to buy the engine from?
Which one would work best?
How much to pay for one?
Who can do a real good swap in Bangalore or Chennai?
I was planing for an alto engine. But new A-star engine is also in the option list.

Engine! you can buy from Kabadi who buys total loss cars from Insurance company. We have a good place in Ahmedabad.

Cost depends, For Eg: i missed a toppled Alto k10 for 85k. The whole car, the owner was not interested in repairing it. I gave a quote for 60k and someone took it for 85k.

Ofcourse those are Motor City of India. Its in places like us we have to do ourself.

PS: A member from Delhi (i think Noidaboy) had installed an Esteem engine in Type I. You can ask him for more details
Old 6th February 2012, 21:06   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The options i am considering are:

K10B: 998 cc (60.9 cu in) DOHC 12-valve VVT from the Wagon R

K10A: 996 cc (60.8 cu in) (68.0 x 68.6 mm) DOHC 16-valve, later with VVT and available with turbocharging. - The K10A has variable inlet cam timing and an 8.4:1 static compression ratio. Maximum output of the turbo version is 74 kW at 6,500 rpm and 122 Nm at 3,000 rpm. In naturally aspirated form it produces (70 PS). From the New Alto.

F10A: 1.0 L (970 cc/59 cu in, 65.5 x 72.0 mm) from the Maruti 1000.

F10D: 1.1 L (1,061 cc, 68.5 x 72.0 mm). This is a four-cylinder version of the 796 cc F8D.

G10B: was an all aluminium engine debuted in Maruti Zen in India in 1993. It was a 4 cylinder 993cc (72mm X 61mm) SOHC 16-valve engine and is the first all-aluminum engine Suzuki made for the Indian market. It was sold in both carburetted and MPFI form. It was widely used in motorsport in India due to its light weight and tunability. The mounting points of the engine block were similar to that of the G13 and so an engine swap was a relatively easy task. It was phased out when production of Zen ceased in 2006. It was made only in India but was sold in all countries the Zen was sold.
K10A if you can source it then nothing like it (Not sure of the physical size or if it would fit under the hood without extending).

From local market:
K10B (not sure if it would fit under the hood, Alto's engine bay had to be extended to make K10)
F10D (might fit with minimal mods)
G10 (not sure if it would fit under the hood without cutting into the bodywork).

F10A is anaemic... better to turbocharge the F8D
Old 6th February 2012, 21:26   #504
BHPian

Currently am glued to nodiaboy's engine swap thread!

either way, im absolutely open for suggestions!
Old 1st March 2013, 11:31   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Boy, do I envy you! The joy of restoring an automobile that is no longer in production, and has nostalgic value, is unparalleled by any other.

All the best with this. And make it a point to get every stage on camera. I have about 4 albums of my Jeep rebuild.

GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yippy, I can never express the kind of pleasure i get out of restoring vehicles.
If anyone in Chennai needs to restore any car , let me know FIRST!! I'd be more than glad to do it.
Bhpians coming to the track day can see my very first restoration of almost a decade old Sumo.
Quote:
I know, its crazily emotional..... many people can't comprehend the feeling......... I will take a pic even if the mechanic sneezes!!! Like a motion sensitive camera!!!

Restoration plus performance mods..... this baby is gonna be a sleeper!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Edmund, all the best with resto dude! Make it a looker! Get her ready by March. If you have any difficulty procuring any thing required for the job let me know, i'll try to get it from here. Here are some of my suggestions.

While applying primer go for a zinc primer, would give better rust prevention.

Get those seats padded real nice, otherwise on long drives it could be bad for your back. Wrap the seats with good quality material. Should look as if it came from the factory like that. Get seat belts fitted.

Don't leave the rear seats, do it up good. I had a plan for my car that was to fit two independent seats like in the front. Will look into it when i'm geting it done. Anyways i don't want to carry more than four people in my car. Rear seatbelts, can it be done?

Try to get dynamat or similar material and install it. It should give good sound absorption of suspension and road noise. Ill be doing it for my car. Don't like rattling noises.

New model's front windscreen wiper assembly can be fitted with lil modification, ask your mechanic if he can do it. Stock windscreen wipers are not upto the mark.

While at it, get your whole wiring checked. If any splicing& insulation tape job has been done anywhere this is the chance to get it done correctly using connectors. I hate splicing and tapes - my car has it :(

Does it have central locking/security? If you need get it done now, i have a autocop basic setup. It's convenient.

Steering wheel & gear knob. Match it with seats & interiors.

Make provision for left side door mirrors. If you need em.

I'll put down more ideas & suggestions as i get em. Happy rebuilding!! Keep us posted!!
First of all congrats to Edmund on the fabulous restoration of your steed. I'm planning a complete, inside- out restoration of our 28 year old 800. Planning on installing light weight seats, new interior panels, a more comfortable suspension setup, alloy rims, new paint job and new engine if possible, just like how Edmund did. However the problem is that the car is in Trivandrum, Kerala and I don't know anyone who undertakes such jobs there! Was thinking of taking her to Kochi but I doubt she'll last the distance. Should I take her to a Maruti service center for the job? She has been worked upon by some local mechanics and that has left her in a sorry state for years now. It would be a huge help if anyone could point out to me a good workshop for the job in Kerala, preferably in Trivandrum. Any advice on where to start? The car is of great sentimental value to us. Want her looking and running like brand new. Please send in your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 16th January 2014, 13:18   #506

Where is the new car ? we have been waiting to see it for years !! hope you are dping good in life ?
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:18   #507
BHPian

MEGA BUMP

I can't contain my excitement fellow Teambhpians!!!

You were by my side post-by-post for the initial journey and now, after almost 14 long years since the day zeropointeight fell silent, and life went on, took me on an intense journey into the Automotive Design world around the globe, I am back and have found myself my very own Barnfind!!! It is time, again, for the car that made me fall in love with Automotive Design to grace the roads again, and you will have front-row seats to this second coming!

Edmund : My car's Rebuild Maruti 800-pxl_20221211_175547843.jpg
How she lay mostly neglected for more than a decade, the Dupont Paint has really held up well, but will be taken back to bare metal for a fresh non-metallic but non-OEM shade!!

Edmund : My car's Rebuild Maruti 800-20230531_200253.jpg
As she stands today, mechanicals getting sorted first, no engine swap for now!

STAY TUNED!
Edmund is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:44   #508
Team-BHP Support

My god Edmund, woken up after such a long hibernation?
I'm not going to ask you what all are you planning to do this time but follow your thread.

All the best for your baby!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd June 2023 at 19:25.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:56   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
My god Edmund, woken up after such a long hibernation?
I'm not going to ask you what all are you planning to do this time but follow your thread.

All the best for your baby!

Mr. Sen!! Hibernation is putting it mildly!

I do have to admit, that the SS80 obsession has grown a bit, but this first one will always have a special place!

I am also now based in Bangalore and zeropointeight will be joining these 2 1985 DX's that are part of my garage now!

Edmund : My car's Rebuild Maruti 800-pxl_20230524_140648395.jpg
The
Edmund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 17:09   #510
BHPian

After a grueling and frustrating 8 months of garage time it's more or less done and legal to be back on the roads, which I am happy about, but there's a ton of finessing and detailing to be done by me over the weekends!!

The next thing is to drive her down to Bangalore!

This is zeropointeight, in a fresh coat of flat blue paint and running after 13 years!!!

Edmund : My car's Rebuild Maruti 800-20240109_172817.jpg
Edmund is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks