Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2006, 11:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
And then what is the real use of inside mirror in cars since we've mirrors on both the sides ? I assume that it's only use it is to show what's on the middle of the road.

adjust the mirrors such that the RHS SVM will show the traffic on the rhs and some portion of tha car ...so the RHS mirrir takes care of vehicles on teh right side...
so we ar eleft with the vehicles coming from behind and the elft ...so adjust the centre RVM such that it shows all those vehicles in teh back and also align it more to the LHS so that you can see vehicles coming from behind from the LHS ....

then the LHS SVM....adjust it the way u want u ..i.e u might hav eto change it when reversing ,when parking ....
Old 13th March 2006, 15:45   #32
BHPian

slight off topic -
Nowadays many cars started placing indicators in side mirrors. So, if your side mirror is broken, your side indicator is gone too.... obviously a replacement mirror with indicator costs much more than normal mirror....

Nowadays most printer manufacturers get their revenue by selling inks rather than the printer itself. Time is coming when car manufacturers will get their profit by selling accessories rather than cars
Old 13th March 2006, 18:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
slight off topic -
Nowadays many cars started placing indicators in side mirrors. So, if your side mirror is broken, your side indicator is gone too.... obviously a replacement mirror with indicator costs much more than normal mirror....

Nowadays most printer manufacturers get their revenue by selling inks rather than the printer itself. Time is coming when car manufacturers will get their profit by selling accessories rather than cars
haa haa haaa... good one. i liked that

However the cars which sport a side indicator in the ORVM do not have only those as the sole side indicators. Generally they also have one somewhere close to the front wheel arch. So just the indicator should not be the forcing reason for you to acquire a new mirror if and when broken.

Having said that I agree that such mirrors will cost a bomb. IMO, While for a very high end car such novelties may be welcome for others it unnecessarily complicates matters. If a regular mirror costs you some 1500-2500 depending on the car I strongly suspect that such complicated ones will set you back by at least 5k if not more. This is simply wastage! :o
Old 14th March 2006, 05:08   #34
BANNED

I've seen mirror which are fitted at the rear end facing the rear windscreen especially in bigger vehicles like Scorpio, Innova, Endeavour which is facing towards the front in contrast to the RVM's which will be positioned towards backwards of the vehicle.

What is the use of this mirror ? Is it to see any obstacles which are of lower heights at the blind spots ?
Old 14th March 2006, 08:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What is the use of this mirror ? Is it to see any obstacles which are of lower heights at the blind spots ?

I guess they are used for reverse parking, so that you can see how far the rear of your car is from the object.
please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 14th March 2006, 09:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

I know a lot of people who ONLY use the inside rear view mirror and drive well!! In traffic too!!
Old 14th March 2006, 13:44   #37
BHPian

It is to create difference between low end models and high end models. So that one can be black and another can be body colored. This way the manufacturer can charge 80 k more for these changes.
Old 14th March 2006, 15:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I've seen mirror which are fitted at the rear end facing the rear windscreen especially in bigger vehicles like Scorpio, Innova, Endeavour which is facing towards the front in contrast to the RVM's which will be positioned towards backwards of the vehicle.

yes it is used to assist driver while reversing.
also some SUVs has a similar mirror mounted on far-left-end of bonnet, in which the front-left-end of car and front-left-tyre's contact patch with ground is visible.
all these are used to assist driver see all the "ends" of his car.
but these are of not of much use in smaller cars.
Old 14th March 2006, 15:28   #39
BHPian

In all European trucks (cabforward design - where engine is under seats), on kerbside, there are 3 side mirrors. One large rectangular, for seeing distant rear traffic, one square, immediately below it, to see very near to truck's side, the third perpendicular to other two, for seeing bottom of road - how far the truck is from the kerb. Driver's side has similar two mirrors (only the third one missing).
These trucks are usually driven by only driver alone! No helper to see kerbside view as in Indian trucks. The driver even reverses such huge trucks (even articulated ones with trailers) just with the help of these mirrors!
These trucks have no use of inside cabin mirrors - as the rear is blocked.
Old 19th March 2006, 14:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

I read this somewhere , cant seem to remember now .

the Best way to use all 3 RVM's to avoid blindspots
-------------------------------------------------

Adjust the RRVM and the LRVM in such a way that - it just shows the C pillar in a hatch back and a part of the Boot in a Sedan in the inside most part of the mirror.

Adjust the Interior RVM such that you can see whats coming up behind your left C pillar . All the blind spots on the right and left will be eliminated
Old 19th March 2006, 15:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Never used mirrorson my old zen. When I got my santro it had RHS/LHS mirrors and now with the ****ty traffic in bangalore I dont think I can manage without them !!
Old 19th March 2006, 17:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
I read this somewhere , cant seem to remember now .

the Best way to use all 3 RVM's to avoid blindspots
You're right... See http://wiki.ehow.com/Set-Rearview-Mi...te-Blind-Spots

Most people in India keep the wing mirrors closed to 'avoid' getting them damaged in 'tight' traffic situations. This is a big misconception- if another car can come so close enough to touch your wing mirror, it's almost certain you're going to end up with a dent on your side...
Old 19th March 2006, 21:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I know a lot of people who ONLY use the inside rear view mirror and drive well!! In traffic too!!
im sure they could do alot better if they open up their side mirrors (if any that is)

no matter how good or careful one might be .. there is alot you cant see without side mirrors ... unless you are gifted with an extra pair of eyes at the back
Old 22nd March 2006, 18:38   #44
BHPian

I find it is a great first line of defence against careless motorists overtaking me from the left.
Old 23rd March 2006, 10:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
... Time is coming when car manufacturers will get their profit by selling accessories rather than cars
The time is here. My Octy mirrors cost rs. 15K per pair and you cant buy just one. my octy headlight cost 40K (dont know if this is per pair or each). I suspect most car manufacturers make more profit on the accerories than on the car. Gilette gives the razor handles for free in the US and makes money on the blades.

My SysAdmin told me that my HP printer came with Rs. 15,000 worth of cartridges and a free small printer (for which I have to pay rs. 1000 more). So the printer actually came for 5,000. this is less than the cost of a full set of cartridges.

You want to know how much a Rolex strap costs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks