Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 09:42   #91
BANNED

@Max. That is for the driver to align it for the passenger so that he doesn't have to worry about adjusting it.

And these electrically controlled mirrors only come in high end vehicles. That means the Chauffer should keep on checking whether his master is able to see the rear properly. He should lean and check this once in a while. So easy to understand!
Old 24th July 2007, 10:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
@Max. That is for the driver to align it for the passenger so that he doesn't have to worry about adjusting it.

And these electrically controlled mirrors only come in high end vehicles. That means the Chauffer should keep on checking whether his master is able to see the rear properly. He should lean and check this once in a while. So easy to understand!
Now stop wasting your time with these illy billy jokes and start typing in the test report fast !.

and I dont mind being a Chauffer in a low end car with Laetitia Casta in the passenger seat. Phew !!! thats going to me one awesome lean !
Old 9th October 2007, 14:59   #93
Senior - BHPian

My Alto doesn't have ORVM on left side, so i purchased internally adjustable ORVM's on both side...

The money I spent on ORVM are being saved without my car getting dents or scratches and finally saving my BABE…

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2009 at 13:40. Reason: Font tags removed.
Old 9th October 2007, 15:50   #94
k36
BHPian

I find the left ORVM most useful while parking parallel to the footpath. Angling it downward gives a very good view of the left side of the car, footpath and the precise gap in between.
Old 9th October 2007, 22:36   #95
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post
I find the left ORVM most useful while parking parallel to the footpath. Angling it downward gives a very good view of the left side of the car, footpath and the precise gap in between.
And the Laura angles it down automatically when you put it in R. Great feature.
Old 10th October 2007, 14:00   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post
That's EXACTLY how i use it...apart from spotting the two wheelers who sneak up, keeping arrogant/stupid call centre cabs behind for a frustratingly looong time and to move back into left lane after overtaking.

-- Torqy
Old 10th October 2007, 14:26   #97
Senior - BHPian

Apart from their intended purpose, rear view mirrors serve another important purpose. They increase your car width and increase the chances that people would either keep adequate space, or crash the mirror instead of the body!. Hope you get what I'm saying.
Old 10th October 2007, 15:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

I use the LHS Rear View mirror mostly while parking.
Its really helpful in taking the car out when parked in a very tight parking slot.
Old 10th October 2007, 16:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

The LHS RVM is a great tool while parking, reversing & at times taking a left turn. Some morons only overtake from the left..!

In big vehicles, the kind I drive it is a boon. While the Safari & most others of its ilk have electrically adjustable units, my pet peeve being why is this not provided for in the Scorpio?
Old 17th October 2007, 12:05   #100
BHPian

LHS ORVM on my car I use it to the best as I have a good view and control when i chahge lanes , One should use it atleast to aviod daily city tarffic scracthes etc...
Old 17th October 2007, 13:57   #101

Completely agreed with VC12

.. the LHS ORVM is extremely useful not only in city conditions to avoid scratches but also on single laned highways on which I have been lucky to spot maniacs who try to overtake from the left side in the "bat-pad" gap that is available

No wonder, my WagonR which is 11 months old - driven around 14K Kms in cities of Mumbai and Pune is still scratchless.
I find it annoying people having those on their cars but keeping it folded. As a matter of fact, I had been Europe (Romania to be specific) and I found that the EU mandates the manufacturers to have the mirrors on both the sides of the car - and believe me, not a single car I saw on the road had either of its mirror folded - All this considering that Romania is one of the under-developed nations in the EU. It's just about being more sensible on the road.
Old 18th October 2007, 09:44   #102
BHPian

apart from helping in parking into tight spaces, helps me to get the perfect angle and proximity to scare that silly 2-wheeler nut trying a snaking overtake from my left.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:24   #103
BHPian

How does that Anti glare RVM work?

While on the topic of rare view mirrors,

Can some one explain how that Antiglare feature in RVM works? When I pull the lever to the front, the angle of mirror changes so that lightbeam gets directed away from the eye. But the mirror also appears to attain a distinct hue . Does it happen just because of change in light direction or is there some technology (like polarisation of light)at work?
Old 18th October 2007, 14:53   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
While on the topic of rare view mirrors,

Can some one explain how that Antiglare feature in RVM works? When I pull the lever to the front, the angle of mirror changes so that lightbeam gets directed away from the eye. But the mirror also appears to attain a distinct hue . Does it happen just because of change in light direction or is there some technology (like polarisation of light)at work?
that is a "rear-view mirror" and not a "rare view mirror". i assume it is a typo.

normal rear-view mirrors are mounted on their base using a ball and pivot joint, that enables us to move it into whichever position we need.

then the small flick lever, or the day-night position lever, tilts the mirror slightly without tilting the housing itself. this bounces off quite a lot of light from the bright headlamp of the car behind you away from your eyes.

polarisation in a normal RVM can be ruled out. but polarised RVM are available. some have light effected auto-polarisation like the ones on the Laura. lucky chaps.
Old 18th October 2007, 21:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

Blind Spots in ORVM

Another little thing that I have implemented in my car is that you get those little round mirrors that you can fix on the ORVM's. They really help can you can see the blind spots in both the LHS & RHS ORVM. The plus point is that they don't cost the earth. I paid 70 for a pair about a year ago and they really help.
Once you are used to it cant drive without it

Most Viewed