Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

ha ha.. everything is getting to be like that ... reminds me of the old saying that goes.... "Chavanne ki Bandar... " ha ha...

But yes... I'm told that the dealer actually has a TARGET for replacements! which is why they first try to give you grief when you try to claim warranty on anything...
Old 23rd March 2006, 12:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
The time is here. My Octy mirrors cost rs. 15K per pair and you cant buy just one. my octy headlight cost 40K (dont know if this is per pair or each).

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
My SysAdmin told me that my HP printer came with Rs. 15,000 worth of cartridges and a free small printer (for which I have to pay rs. 1000 more). So the printer actually came for 5,000. this is less than the cost of a full set of cartridges.
A set of cartridges for my Brother Multi-function printer (all in one - print, scan, copy, fax) costs about 80% of what the damn unit itself cost me! Might as well buy a new unit everytime, strip the cartridges and sell it to some sucker at a reduced price.

Coming back to the topic, the left mirror (in India) usually saves my car from scratches by taking the hit every other time. ORVMs cost Rs.300 with my Accent (Rs.900 for the whole unit) while the ones on the Safari have taken quite a few hits from buses and trucks that try to block you while you're overtaking them (some pretty bad, too) and stayed undamaged save the scratches on the paint. Touch wood!

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd March 2006 at 12:48.
Old 25th March 2006, 19:32   #48
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

A set of cartridges for my Brother Multi-function printer (all in one - print, scan, copy, fax) costs about 80% of what the damn unit itself cost me! Might as well buy a new unit everytime, strip the cartridges and sell it to some sucker at a reduced price.
I have been told that the cartridges that come with the printer are about 75% full unlike the new ones.

Whats the world coming to.
Old 25th March 2006, 19:36   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I know a lot of people who ONLY use the inside rear view mirror and drive well!! In traffic too!!
I know a lot more people who dont have mirror on their vehicles. One look at them and you will wonder if they have one at home.

So long....
Old 15th May 2006, 13:51   #50
Bob
BHPian

side & rear view mirror experience

hi ALL

i am wondering do you always use rear view mirror every time you drive !

in my case i can't drive a mile with side mirror close.before giving a starter i always open side mirror.

one of my friend in mumbai is driving since almost 10 years,he never use side mirror even at the time of reverse.luckily he hasn't face any accident till today.

in my point when you drive,(even with open side view mirror & rear view mirror)there's always blind spot you create behind.how you people deal with it !
share your experience friends.

here is link for using side & rear view mirrors

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/p-drv.html

thanx . . .BOB
Old 28th June 2006, 17:43   #51
rks
BANNED

My car did not come with the left RVM and I never used it till now. But I am toying with the idea of fitting one as it can be very useful for reversing and parking, and maybe for rapid lane changes. The only problem is that it can easily get damaged, as noted -- also my car cleaning guy manhandles the rigtht RVM everyday and I am wondering when it is going to come off into my hands while adjusting it.

I think we can also manage with only the right and centre RVM's, and a quick glance to the left when we need to change lanes. If you *frequently* keep looking into your centre RVM, you will have a good idea of the vehicles coming behind you most of the time and so may not need the left RVM. I generally drive fairly fast, so most of the time there is no one close behind me looking for an overtake. This also helps when you have to brake suddenly -- the possibility of your getting rear-ended when you drive slowly is much higher.

Regarding overtaking on the left -- some of you guys cannot be serious about objecting to this. I do it all the time in my Santro, whether in the city or the highway; I don't enjoy getting bogged down behind slow-moving vehicles on the right/middle lanes that won't give way. The only point to note is that the onus is on the overtaking vehicle to do it safely, and in the case of an accident, the left-overtaking vehicle will have to take responsibility.
Old 6th July 2006, 17:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

well .. i second zenx and dhirajs absolutely ..

it's such a pain to drive without the mirrors .. esp. if you cut lanes like i do .. infact every 3 months some junkie rips off the mirrors from my OHC and i can barely drive till i get them replaced.

aha .. and like mentioned by karthik427 .. to check out the women
Old 7th July 2006, 01:13   #53
BHPian

Driving by Night

I use all the three during the day. At night I am forced to close the side mirrors. Thanx to drivers of chennai who drive with there high beams always. When vechicle is behind me on high beams they just refelect back in your eyes and is difficult to drive. Luckily my car comes with a day&night rearview mirror in the in the centre inside which I could use @ night. Its just the question of getting used to driving without the side mirrors. I have got used to it now.
Old 7th July 2006, 02:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

I second majority of opinions here...
I believe left RVM has same functions as the right one, to improve rear visibility on respective side by minimizing blind spots. I use them while- changing lanes, reversing, parking, opening doors on busy roads, keeping an eye on people trying to overtake me and so on. Electrically adjustable mirrors are extremely handy since you can adjust them very easily, accurately and quickly... moreover, it enables you to point left RVM to see the curb/rear wheels! unfolded mirrors also actually help keeping other vehicles from coming too close.

Main drawback of RVMs is that they are pretty costly (more so for electrical ones). Also sometimes in real tight situations you may wish they were folded. the mirror casing and its mounting/hinge in my car seems to be quite stronger and robust than what I had thought. I have had quite a few incidents when left RVM got brushed against walls/pillars, while moving both in forward and reverse directions. It never got damaged, it always folds itself leaving behind only minor scratches which are barely visible. Things would have been different if it was body colored...I had thought of getting them painted initially but later had dropped the idea thinking it was probably the portion most prone to getting scratched...thanks God. I was little surprised to see that casings actually fold towards front as well, though to some extent only.

Once I had even an accident involving left RVM... I could not judge a biker on my left lane who was slowly drifting towards right. His mirror got hit by mine while I was overtaking him. That was enough for him to loose balance and collapse at good 40-50kmph speed. He was very lucky (and me too!) because he was wearing helmet and was without any pillion rider, no serious injuries at all. The accident had caused a small portion of the mirror casing getting chipped off...which I could notice only a week later. The mirror has been functioning absolutely fine. Once one of my friend did not know that it is electrical and when he couldn't find any knob to adjust it, he just presumed that it is to be adjusted by moving the glass itself by hand... and he actually did that I thought it might have spoiled the delicate mechanism and it would take a few grands to replace it...but to my pleasant surprise, what I found was that it can bear such abuse and still remain intact!
Old 14th July 2006, 01:03   #55
BHPian

Why the LHS RVM?

How else will that villager in the Sumo that's stopped behind you at the traffic light blind you with his high beam?
Old 5th September 2006, 17:50   #56
BHPian

Real use of Left Side Rear View Mirror !!

My personal experience with ORVM is that it is imperative that one use the driver side mirror always. I disagree with the fact that people can drive with the right ORVM closed, as I have experienced with many Maruti 800 owners. They are not able to see the vehicle overtaking from the right and are a constant inconvenience to motorist like myself. Only if the person is constantly using the inside RVM can than person be aware of traffic behind him and about to overtake. But in any case this is not correct or safe and no one can drive with 100% concentration for 100% of the time.

As far as passenger-side ORVM is concerned, it is mainly beneficial while parking in tight situations and on highways. In normal day to day traffic, use of the inside RVM and the right ORVM are sufficient. Incase one needs to asses the traffic on the left, a quick glance to the left will suffice and in case of lane changing or turning, use of indicators well in advance will serve the purpose. The idea is to keep your eyes on the road in the front.

As far as traveling on highways is concerned, it is doubly important to keep ones eyes on the road straight ahead and with full concentration, as one is driving at relatively higher speeds as compared to city driving – and one doesn’t know when a tractor-trolley or a cow with emerge from. But since one is driving at high speeds, one cannot take eyes off the road to look on the left, so one requires use of a ORVM on the passenger side as well. A quick glance on the passenger-side ORVM serves the purpose while lane-changing or monitoring traffic and one can quickly go back to concentrating on the road in the front. If you are a good driver and constantly glance at the driver-side ORVM and the inside RVM, you’ll generally know about the traffic situation behind you.

Another issue is the cost of these mirrors. Most people avoid use of the ORVM in order to prevent them from getting broken while driving in traffic. But they don’t understand, that it is better to drive with the mirrors open and risk them getting broken than to dent your car and inconvenience other motorist. As far as the passenger-side ORVM is concerned, I do not use in city driving as it becomes difficult to close it in tight situations and it often gets folded by two-wheelers and pedestrians anyways. An electrically retractable and adjustable mirror as in higher-end vehicles is of great use in these situations and while reversing and parking, but then again they cost a bomb to replace and so most people don’t open it in first-place, even if they can afford to replace it if it gets broken.
Another case in point is the cost of replacing these mirrors, which is relatively less in case of TATA and Maruti vehicles even if they are originals and not duplicate. One should always go for genuine ORVM as they cover all the angles very well, have a clear mirror image, have good anti-glare capabilities and are made of sturdier plastic. Foreign car manufacturers need to drastically reduce to the price of ORVM and there needs to be a law controlling the price of these mirrors in view of drivers adopting safe driving practices, safety of motorists and the pedestrians.

Please excuse my verbose / lengthy style of writing.
Old 6th September 2006, 19:10   #57
BHPian

I had driven a Sumo fitted with LHS Rear view mirror. Its hugely advantageous when riding in bad traffic situations. It was on one of the busy streets of Goa. While reversing too, it really helps a lot.

But as many have said here, and in teh case of the veh which i drove, the rear view mirror on the LHS broke off, hit by a mad vehicle overtaking from the left. So that leaves with only the RHS and in vehicle mirrors.

Also considering the chaotic situation in Bangalore esp, I guess many drivers simply drive a straight line only. And secondly with mad traffic, if we have to look at 3 mirrors we will surely ram into someone ahead of you.
Old 6th September 2006, 19:23   #58
sx1

Anyone having an Ikon will tell u the importance of haviong an LHS mirror.The stupid guys didn't have it in flair.U gotta buy it.
Old 6th September 2006, 20:33   #59
BHPian

I dont have a LHS rear view mirror.

Never thought it was that important.. Ill get it done immediately

Cheers
M516
Old 6th September 2006, 20:39   #60
BHPian

Normally used while changing lines. Helps a lot specially, in highway's..also used while parking your babe.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2007 at 03:52. Reason: text edited

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks