Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 16:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The "kinks" in the beams do not need to be centered / pointing forward. Cover one headlight and see the spread of the other and aim accordingly.
What I was trying to do is get the kinks close to the bulb axes, as suggested under "Horizontal Aiming" on Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Quote:
You say the L<>R adjustment wasnt working at all... in either direction, or does it just not move further in the direction you want?
Neither direction, for both headlamps.
Quote:
If it doesnt work in either direction, maybe the gear/screw doesnt have a stop at the end and has been turned so far that the two parts are no longer in contact. If this is the case, try pushing the headlight in the desired direction while turning the screw too... this might make them contact each other once again.
I will try this out... thanks!
Old 16th February 2008, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Found this link very useful.

Honda-Tech.com: Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000): DIY: How to Aim Your 1992 - 2000 Headlights
Old 18th February 2008, 15:48   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Nice find and very detailed !
Old 18th February 2008, 19:39   #19
BHPian

Yeah, finally i have been able to adjust my beams.

Till date i was struggling to reach the adjusting crowns behind the HL assembly.
Thanks to this article, and the detailed pics, i was able to do it easily.
Old 25th February 2008, 15:25   #20
BHPian

Actually my Hyundai manual clearly explains how to adjust the headlamp beams. Consult your manual..else look for the tiny screws on top of the headlamps..switch ON and adjust..see if there are changes to beam. If nothing works, take it to ur dealer and get this fixed
Old 16th March 2008, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Guys, have been trying to get the perfect spread from my headlights for quite sometime now.
The problem im facing is with my right side HL. when i adjust it as per standard procedure (left light covered and right on High Beam pointing to a wall), i adjust the High beam to where i would like it to be. When i switch to the Low beam, it points left.

Now if i adjust the low beam and point it straight, to where i want it and try the High beam on, i find that the High beam is pointing right.Like .. waaaay right. Like off the road directly blinding oncoming traffic.

Earlier i was happy with this setup, as i drive mainly in city and the low beam spread was really good, and that i rarely needed to use the High beam.
But recently i was out on a highway and was really dissappointed with the High Beam. I have been trying to fine tune the spread for the past few days, hoping to find a sweet spot. but i think there is a problem with my HL assembly.

The left side HL asssembly is perfect, both High and Low. Could someone let me know if there is anything that i may have missed. Or do i need to get a new HL cluster. (how much damage should i be looking at if that indeed is the case ?)

Oh before i forget. Its a Type 1 OHC, with Mico 90/100w H4 bulbs.
Old 16th March 2008, 18:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Here I go. Y'day I took my Ford Ikon flair to mechanic for headlamp adjusting. He tried to focus the headlamp with some kind of machine. He also tried with screwdriver adjusting some screws behind headlamp. But he failed and gave up stating that he cannot do it. Can anybody of you inform me how to adjust the headlamps for Ford Ikon Flair? Or you guys got any linky to this.
Old 16th March 2008, 19:30   #23
BHPian

hey guys,

i have a similar prob with my headlight height too n the time has come for them to b adjusted. My left headlight focus is lower than my right one, which is already become low in the first place. Is it the same system of adjusting screws that needs to be done for the NHC? If so, could anyone plz tell me how to go about it. or if anyone could post a link on how its done. I have searched the manual but coudnt find out anything.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:18   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
..... i adjust the High beam to where i would like it to be. When i switch to the Low beam, it points left. .....

Oh before i forget. Its a Type 1 OHC, with Mico 90/100w H4 bulbs.
Interesting problem. If i had to guess it could be two things :
1. Your bulb is not seated correctly in the HL housing. The (H4) bulb has a couple of tabs sticking out of the flat metal mounting plate (see pic), make sure that these are aligned into the correct cutouts for them in the HL assembly, otherwise the bulb sits misaligned and the resultant projected beam can behave strangely.
How to adjust headlight beams-h4hp_2401.jpg
2. Faulty bulb (misaligned filaments / cup). Put in another bulb and see if you have the same problem.

I'd be interested to know what happens, do post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
....Can anybody of you inform me how to adjust the headlamps for Ford Ikon Flair? Or you guys got any linky to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
....could anyone plz tell me how to go about it. or if anyone could post a link on how its done. ....
Did you guys read this thread ??? (as well as follow all the links in it)

All the info in here should work for your cars as well.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2008 at 23:23.
Old 16th March 2008, 23:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Interesting problem. If i had to guess it could be two things :
1. Your bulb is not seated correctly in the HL housing. The (H4) bulb has a couple of tabs sticking out of the flat metal mounting plate (see pic), make sure that these are aligned into the correct cutouts for them in the HL assembly, otherwise the bulb sits misaligned and the resultant projected beam can behave strangely.

2. Faulty bulb (misaligned filaments / cup). Put in another bulb and see if you have the same problem.

I'd be interested to know what happens, do post back.

cya
R
Thanks for the response Rehaan.
I have even tried replacing the bulb from the Left HL to the Right one, but the problem persists. So i guess the problem area is not the bulb. I can only understand that there is something wrong with the assembly.
Wierd problem, i know. Just wanted to know if there was anything else i could tinker with before i get completely fed up and go for a new HL assembly.
Old 17th March 2008, 21:07   #26
BHPian

Guys, any suggestions on this ?
Old 7th April 2008, 12:34   #27
BHPian

I don't know about other cars. But I have adjusted my Fork Ikon Head Lights. There are two screws on top of each head lamps. Screws uses hexagonal type of screwdrivers. One is for adjusting the beams left-right, the other for up-down. Theoratically it seems simple, but practically it was quiet problmatic as the left-right hardly seems to work. Up-down was easy and works perfectly. There seems to be no way to adjust the spread though. My head lamps does not spread properly, and I am attributing that to cheap quality...you see, I got me one of those malaysian stuff called depo and not OEM .
Old 11th August 2008, 00:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynmantis View Post
Theoratically it seems simple, but practically it was quiet problmatic as the left-right hardly seems to work. Up-down was easy and works perfectly.
I am in simillar situation and need help. I can't go to dealer's workshop immediately but need to adjust headlight as soon as possible. If there is any Getz user who have successfully done headlight adjustment, please share your technique.

The up-down adjustment works fine but the left-right adjustment does not seem to move at all. In fact the headlights point more towards the right whereas I need to see pedestrians and road edge to the left.

In fact this evening I was to take a left turn at a no streetlight, no signal crossing. I missed the turn and almost took a left onto oncoming traffic. Luckily I saw some headlights approaching at a distance, did some steering adjustment and proceeded straight. That's how badly I need help.
Attached Thumbnails
How to adjust headlight beams-getz_hl.jpg  

Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2008, 01:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

okay you found the screws now, good, but i strongly recommend you get this done at the service center, they would have a wall painted with levels for low beam and high beams, adjusting them according to these levels would ensure the proper leveling.

i got this done for my accent at the HASS and realized it then, its best done this way than doing it at home unless, you have the measurement of the levels to be marked on a wall and know the distance you need to park your car from the wall, and you will need to park the car perpendicular to the wall.

happy leveling.
Old 11th August 2008, 01:22   #30
BHPian

Dear rider60, thanks for the response. Levelling is not the issue here, I just need to have some correction done for sideway (left-right) throw, atleast until I get the time to visit HASS.

Most Viewed