Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 16:30   #46
BHPian

re: How to adjust headlight beams

Experts - really need your help with my Figo's headlamps. I have already taken this up with Ford couple of times, but they either ignore or don't know how to fix it.

Problem: My headlight beam goes to the lowest level (both in high/low beam) - focused right after the bumper when I hit a bump and remains there. Changing the focus/leveler knob does not change anything. Next time I hit a bump, it comes back to the original position. Then leveler knob starts working again. Clearly seems like a loose contact! I mentioned this to ford 2 times and they say they fixed it but nothing's changed.

Need help in understand how the leveler works...is there a motor? or is it using some other mechanism. Can I do a DIY job? Please help - obviously this a very irritating problem and dangerous to drive in the night esp. in the highways.

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th September 2012, 17:08   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, to rule out loose contacts which could mainly be the cause, open the bonnet and remove the leveller connections. However, if your figo has a single connector for the entire circuitry of indicator, headlamp, parking lamp and leveller, then remove the connector and spray some cleaning substance like WD40 or zorrik. Sometimes even removing and refitting will help but I bet that has been done before.

The leveller motor is usually a three pin connector as far as I have seen. If cleaning does not solve the problem, the problem may lie in the controller, which has to be looked at or replaced.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 17:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Problem: My headlight beam goes to the lowest level (both in high/low beam) - focused right after the bumper when I hit a bump and remains there. Changing the focus/leveler knob does not change anything. Next time I hit a bump, it comes back to the original position. Then leveler knob starts working again. Clearly seems like a loose contact! I mentioned this to ford 2 times and they say they fixed it but nothing's changed.

Need help in understand how the leveler works...is there a motor? or is it using some other mechanism. Can I do a DIY job? Please help - obviously this a very irritating problem and dangerous to drive in the night esp. in the highways.
Rohing,
Before going through the rest of the description I assume that the wires are not partially bitten by rats.
The leveler assembly is inside the headlamp housing. The reflector is supported at 2 points to the housing and the 3rd is attached to a motor shaft. The system is like a screw and a nut. The nut is rotated by the motor and the screw moves forward / backward there by directing the reflector upward or downward. There is a position sensing mechanism inside this motor housing. When you set the position from inside the car, you are actually passing a reference voltage to the position controller. This inturn compares with the present voltage from the postion sensor and moves the motor to make the difference in voltage zero.
Coming to your problem, it could be because of a loose connection or 1 of the 3 support points being broken. Remove the cap behind the headlamp and try to move the reflector with your finger. If it swings, then the support is broken. You can fix it usng Araldite, I have done it in my Dad's Ikon.
If you feel that the reflector is held rigid then problem could be at the switch inside the cabin or the motor inside the reflector. If both reflectors move erratically but similarly, means that you have set to bottom most position on the levelling switch. After you hit a bump there is some response and both the reflectors simultaneously focus down, then the switch is gone, replace it. If one reflector moves in sync but other doesn't then replace the motor.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:21   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Problem: My headlight beam goes to the lowest level (both in high/low beam) - focused right after the bumper when I hit a bump and remains there.
If the problem is happening with just ONE headlamp, chances are its a problem inside that lamp unit.

If its happening on both, then chances are its a controller issue / loose connection somewhere up the line.

From what you've described it sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me. Get an electrician at a service center to look at it.

cya
R
Old 4th October 2012, 08:31   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

If the problem is happening with just ONE headlamp, chances are its a problem inside that lamp unit.

If its happening on both, then chances are its a controller issue / loose connection somewhere up the line.

From what you've described it sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me. Get an electrician at a service center to look at it.

cya
R
Thanks. It happens with both the lamps. Unfortunately ford has not set it right even after complaining twice. Given that it could be a simple loose contact, i was looking to see if i could fix it myself. Will update this weekend.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:09   #51
BHPian

Head Lamp Levelling without level gear?

Dear Folks,

Just wanted to know If there is any alternative to head lamp levelling other than the rack-pinion pair? My Lamp is literally 'screwed up' and it seems I have to replace the entire unit for ₹8000 [courtesy: Elite Ford (Marathahalli)] just to get the levelling done

My car is Ikon Flair and I'm having a tough time navigating with driver side HL looking leftwards. Help me!

Thanks in advance

Note fro Mod : TBHP rules permit 2 smileys max per post. Please make sure you read the rules before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th August 2015 at 17:23. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 18th August 2015, 17:28   #52
Team-BHP Support

Re: Head Lamp Levelling without level gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
Just wanted to know If there is any alternative to head lamp levelling other than the rack-pinion pair? My Lamp is literally 'screwed up'
Hard to judge what exactly you mean? Is the adjustment screw jammed? Is it broken? Etc.

One option is to open the headlamp (by heating and separating the lens from the container) and then adjusting the reflector by hand, securing it in place, and then sealing the whole thing up again.

Another possibility could be rotating the entire headlamp housing, but that won't be easy as you'll have to mess with the mounting points.

How far off is the aim? When did this misalignment start, and how?

Are you sure the bulb in that lamp has been seated properly? Sometimes they don't sit flat and that causes misalignment for the beams.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 20:09   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Folks,

Just wanted to know If there is any alternative to head lamp levelling other than the rack-pinion pair? My Lamp is literally 'screwed up' and it seems I have to replace the entire unit for ₹8000 [courtesy: Elite Ford (Marathahalli)] just to get the levelling done
.[/b]
Check if the screw adjustment will work. If not, then most probably the ball-socket joint between the reflector and the motor assembly would have detached. You can put it back to regain the adjustment function. But you will have to open the assembly though since its the only way you can fit the ball socket joint back in place. If this joint has broken, the headlights will dance when the car goes in rough patches.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 12:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hard to judge what exactly you mean? Is the adjustment screw jammed? Is it broken? Etc.
My adjustment screw is broken, Rack looks disconnected to the lamp. I tried removing the module and applied torque to the second gear which in turns connects to the rack I presume. This connection is broken I suppose.

Quote:
One option is to open the headlamp (by heating and separating the lens from the container) and then adjusting the reflector by hand, securing it in place, and then sealing the whole thing up again.
That should be the only option left, but have you tried this? Can I do this myself & what tools do I need? How do I put it back in place without water logging issues in future?

Quote:
How far off is the aim? When did this misalignment start, and how?

Are you sure the bulb in that lamp has been seated properly? Sometimes they don't sit flat and that causes misalignment for the beams.
The mountings are intact, No seating issues. Bulb is properly placed and is in sync with housing. I've got this problem after an alignment work at service centre, I suppose the mechanic would have over-torqued the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Check if the screw adjustment will work. If not, then most probably the ball-socket joint between the reflector and the motor assembly would have detached. You can put it back to regain the adjustment function. But you will have to open the assembly though since its the only way you can fit the ball socket joint back in place. If this joint has broken, the headlights will dance when the car goes in rough patches
Can you guide me to some place in Bangalore where I can get this inspected? I would need to open up the lamp assembly and fix the joints.
anoop.nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 16:36   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That should be the only option left, but have you tried this? Can I do this myself & what tools do I need? How do I put it back in place without water logging issue in future?
I've never done it, but most threads for "DIY Xenon / HID projectors" will have the procedure outlined.

Here's one : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tallation.html

And another : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cond-life.html
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 19:38   #56
BHPian

Reviving an old thread.
I have an old Non-CRDE Scorpio. The headlights had gone yellow after 12 years and I decided to change.
I was told that the New Headlights (Mhawk) have exactly the same fitting as the old ones so it's better to buy these. I bought original Mahindra(Lumax) headlights and they are installed.
I just needed to do some vertical adjustments but My Electrician and I could only find 1 screw for adjustment and that seems to have no effect on vertical beam.
We concluded that perhaps the MHAWK uses motorized vertical adjustment .
Can anybody tell me if the Mhawk uses a motorized adjustment.
What will be the best way to adjust these lights.
Styler
Old 6th November 2016, 19:00   #57

Swift Dzire ( old model)Headlight beam adjustment

Mod note: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Hi ,
I own a 2009 model swift dzire zdi.
I replaced the stock light bulbs last week ( yeah..... halonix- they worked well for 8 years).
I replaced philips xtreme vision plus ,,n both sides - did it on my own.
But afterwards , i noticed that the beam throw hss been greatly rreuced.
The hi highbeam throw is now only slightly better than the stock fog lamps.
The position of beam is at ZERO ( on the levelling switch inside the cabin )
I searched a lot online , to know bout information of beam levelling screw, but couldn't find.

Pls someone Shed light on How to increase the beam throw.
I tthik i messed up with some screw or position, accidentally cos i use the same H4 bulb in my bullet classic 350 and it has a LOOoong high beam throw.

Please help, guys.
It would be great if someone adds few photographs of the beam leveling screws/ knob uf any .

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2016 at 19:05. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.
Old 6th November 2016, 19:04   #58
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Dzire ( old model)Headlight beam adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4 View Post
The hi highbeam throw is now only slightly better than the stock fog lamps.
By any chance has the bulb been fitted ulta? Check on this before anything else. As far as bean adjustment goes, there are two small start screw heads at the back, they can be turned around. Hurdle is in a swift accessing them is a big paid due to the space constrains.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2016, 19:25   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
By any chance has the bulb been fitted ulta? Check on this before anything else. As far as bean adjustment goes, there are two small start screw heads at the back, they can be turned around. Hurdle is in a swift accessing them is a big paid due to the space constrains.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated.
And yeah , I did use the 'Search' facility a lot, in the past one week, on many sites , youtube , and this site too.
The closest i found was on this site - which read - simply turn the adjuster clockwise or anticlockwise , to raise or dip the beam.
But it was of little use, as i couldn't find such an adjuster, thanks the cramped space near the headlight dome.

Is there any chance , you can provide me with a picture of the leveling screws? It would be of great help.

I shall check the bulbs for the ''ulta' fitment too. It seems quite right for me though- the writing on the bulbs base comes on the top and its straight too. Pls advice how to make sure the bulb is not ''ulta" as you suggested.

Thanks once again.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th November 2016 at 19:58. Reason: Smileys limited to 2 per post, please do not post in SMS lingo. Please pay attention to the rules of the board. Thanks!
Old 7th November 2016, 08:44   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4 View Post
I shall check the bulbs for the ''ulta' fitment too. It seems quite right for me though- the writing on the bulbs base comes on the top and its straight too. Pls advice how to make sure the bulb is not ''ulta" as you suggested.
There will be 3 positioning pins that are kinda at 3 corners of triangle on the bulb base. The taller side of this triangle should be on top 12 clock position, whereas the other 2 should be at about 5 and 7. It will have corresponding slots on the headlight and bulb will slide into this smoothly. This is one thing you can check.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks