Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2016, 23:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Issues with my Maruti SX4

Today the handle of the oil dipstick broke so I went to buy a new one to the nearby MGP store and it was for 360 bucks. The guy said the others are for around 50 bucks but the SX4's is SGP.

Another example of SGP being much more expensive than MGP.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 15:54   #62
BHPian

So it turns out the "kat kat" sound in my SX4 is not the lower arm but the steering rack assembly. My local garage guy took a test drive of it and said that this noise is clearly because of the steering rack. And this is exactly what Maruti told me almost 2 years back. Now comes the bad part. The assembly is for 30k. So I can't make up my mind whether to get it replaced or not.
Old 24th March 2016, 22:06   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Team,
I have run 1.01 lakhs now. There was oil leak in left front and rear shock absorbers. Today I changed all 4 shock absorbers. I had bought TRW shocks online. I got it installed from MASS. Car feels more stiffer now and handling is slightly improved with little compromise on low speed ride quality.

Also I noticed very minor wheel bearing noise. It turned out to be rear left bearing. To my shock, bearing is integrated with hub and ABS sensors which comes as an unit and costs 13k. I have postponed wheel bearing replacement for now.

Rear wheel bearing assembly
Issues with my Maruti SX4-img20160324wa0011.jpg

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 24th March 2016 at 22:15.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 20:23   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I found out a diagnostic mode for the Climate control system in the SX4 today. The procedure is very simple:

Set the following selectors to specified positions below respectively with ignition switch off position.
  • Temperature selector to maximum cool
  • Blower speed selector to OFF position
  • Air flow selector to AUTO position
While pressing A/C switch and air intake selector switch simultaneously, turn ignition switch to ON position. Wait for about 5 seconds (start of diagnosis). Read the flashing pattern of Fresh air and recirculation indicator lights which represents DTC. Here is a video of the same:

The flashing should be separately counted for both lights. In my case, the Recirc light flashes once while the fresh air light flashes four times. That can be interpreted in the table below extracted from the service manual:

Issues with my Maruti SX4-dtc.jpg

So this indicates that in my car, error B1504 is throwing up which is to do with the sun light sensor. However this error occurs when the sun light sensor does not provide any date which happens in dark places. Hence, it is not a cause of concern. If the same test is done outside, the error will not show up.

Issues with my Maruti SX4-capture.jpg

Hence, you can troubleshoot the ACC unit without a scan tool(I tried using Launch EasyDiag, and the same sunload sensor error threw up) and any issues can be found out.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Guys, please just fit the lower arms of a swift for this problem. They are 3k for a pair from MGP and they are an exact fit. I just did this and it works perfectly!

The SX4 arms are SGP and 12.6k a pair so you can use the swift arms 4 times if required .
Hi straight6,

I am planning to replace the lower arms on my 2011 SX4 Zxi, currently running at 1,05,000, km.

How are the Swift lower arms serving on your SX4? Are Swift lower arms thinner and weaker than SGP SX4 lower arms, though they fit dimensionally? Would you suggest replacing any other parts while changing the lower arm?

Thanks and regards
Old 15th January 2019, 22:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi straight6,

I am planning to replace the lower arms on my 2011 SX4 Zxi, currently running at 1,05,000, km.

How are the Swift lower arms serving on your SX4? Are Swift lower arms thinner and weaker than SGP SX4 lower arms, though they fit dimensionally? Would you suggest replacing any other parts while changing the lower arm?

Thanks and regards
Using them since 3 years and they're fine. I had compared both at the MGA shop and they're not any thinner. The difference is made in Japan and India hence the price.

Even the oil dipstick of the SX4 is made in Japan so its 425 but all other Marutis its made in India and for around 60. In this case you have to use the SX4 one as others are shorter. Maybe the Scross one will be same but haven't checked.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th January 2019 at 22:05. Reason: Typo corrected.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 12:32   #67
BHPian

Wow, this is good news, any particular year swift that we need to purchase or are they same for all years?
I have recently inquired and it costs a whopping 6500 plus labor, so i was thinking of going for talbros which is around 2100 odd rupees and the FNG mentioned that talbros is also a good part manufacturer. But if the swift lower arms can be fit then i would stick to MGP.

Also the rear wheel bearing can be replaced with s-cross wheel bearing and cost 4k odd compared to sx4 which is around 13k. I got this replaced with scross bearing and it works perfect.
I think there is a lot of part sharing with the s-cross.

Quote:
Using them since 3 years and they're fine. I had compared both at the MGA shop and they're not any thinner. The difference is made in Japan and India hence the price.

Even the oil dipstick of the SX4 is made in Japan so its 425 but all other Marutis its made in India and for around 60. In this csae you have to use the SX$ one as others are shorter. Maybe the Scross one will be same but haven't checked.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 10:15   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Today the handle of the oil dipstick broke so I went to buy a new one to the nearby MGP store and it was for 360 bucks. The guy said the others are for around 50 bucks but the SX4's is SGP.
Does your SX4 run on petrol? Mine is a petrol car (VXI variant). Sorry to ask but may you help me up with the part number? The mobile gauge (dipstick) of my car is broken too. The local spares store in my neighborhood says that they may source it, if they are provided with a part number.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Does your SX4 run on petrol? Mine is a petrol car (VXI variant). Sorry to ask but may you help me up with the part number? The mobile gauge (dipstick) of my car is broken too. The local spares store in my neighborhood says that they may source it, if they are provided with a part number.
16910-69G01 is the part number.
This is SGP Part i guess since it has no M in the number.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 18:06   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Also the rear wheel bearing can be replaced with s-cross wheel bearing and cost 4k odd compared to sx4 which is around 13k. I got this replaced with scross bearing and it works perfect.
I think there is a lot of part sharing with the s-cross.
Thanks a lot for this information . There are many parts from S-Cross which would fit in SX4. Most of them are localised in S- cross , hence much cheaper. Brake master cylinder of SX4 costs 12k and it's 4.3k for S-Cross. Mostly they are compatible.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks straight6 for the information and confirmation.

I changed the lower arms of my SX4 yesterday. Purchased the lower arms of Swift (old). These costed me Rs. 3000 for the pair including the GST; purchased from the Maruti Suzuki Genuine Parts Store. Before paying for these, I also asked them to take out SX4 lower arm and compared the two to make sure.

As straight6 said, there is no difference in quality or thickness. It is the same.

The lower arm has three functional elements, which are it's connecting points. The steering knucle pin with ball joint, the hinge and the rubber bush. In my lower arms, the rubber bush had two arc shaped cracks, each measuring around 60°. Otherwise the lower arms were good. I noticed thud sound at around 85000 km and found these cracks, which were spanning around 45° that time. I continued the use till 1,06,000 km before replacing them yesterday.

The thud sound did not vanish upon replacing the lower arms. I had to replace the stabilizer link rods. Now there is no such sound. So the lower arms could have been used for another 10k - 15k. But better I replaced. Also replaced the stabilizer bushes. The old bushes removed from the car were found in good condition.

I got the job done from a local mechanic. The total work done:
Replacing the lower arms.
Replacing the stabilizer bush.
Replacing the stabilizer link rods.
Cleaning the dust and dirt below the cowl.
Replacing the broken engine under-guard.
Flushing out the old brake oil from the front calipers.

The labor charge was Rs. 750. Additionally, I paid Rs. 400 for the wheel alignment and 5-tyre rotation.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 2nd February 2019 at 11:34.
Old 2nd February 2019, 14:58   #72
BHPian

Sorry for Hijacking thread.
I have SX4 2007 ZXI. My audio knob gone kaput. ( Only Knob)
Not able to get from Maruti Workshops.They are asking to change the full system.
Any pointer from where i can get it.
Thanks in Advance.
Old 2nd February 2019, 15:17   #73
BHPian

Knob is not sold separately and nor is it listed as a separate part.
I guess instead of spending money on replacing the stock system which is quite expensive too, i would rather go for aftermarket player with the proper dash kit. Yes you will loose the integrated finish of the stock system but then the good side is if you buy a aftermarket player, you will get better sound and more possibilities of adding on to it, you can also connect your rear camera to it.
Old 3rd February 2019, 18:05   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Using them since 3 years and they're fine. I had compared both at the MGA shop and they're not any thinner. The difference is made in Japan and India hence the price
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Thanks straight6 for the information and confirmation.

I changed the lower arms of my SX4 yesterday. Purchased the lower arms of Swift (old). These costed me Rs. 3000 for the pair including the GST; purchased from the Maruti Suzuki Genuine Parts Store.
Thanks to both of you for this information. The lower arm bush of my SX4 has cracked at the suspension frame link and my cousins SX4 at the steering knuckle linkage. While the bush for the latter is available separately, I dont seem to have an option but to replace the entire lower arm. Hence I was wondering if I should go for the bushes which cost 700 or just get the Swift lower arm and replace it. The price difference looks significant the Swift lower arm is definitely not a big expenditure compared to paying 12k for the SGP.
What is surprising is that my cousins SX4 which is five years old has more wear and tear than mine which is 10 years old. Both have run 55k kms at the moment.
In other news, my SX4 is violently jerking in 2nd gear at low RPMs. Later on it runs smooth and fine. Have begun troubleshooting the issue and ruled out spark plugs, fuel, HT cables and even the ignitors look fine. Perhaps they have become weak and hence this issue. The engine can be clearly heard missing a spark when these jerks occur. If anyone faced a similar issue then please share your experience.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
While the bush for the latter is available separately, I dont seem to have an option but to replace the entire lower arm. Hence I was wondering if I should go for the bushes which cost 700 or just get the Swift lower arm and replace it.
What is surprising is that my cousins SX4 which is five years old has more wear and tear than mine which is 10 years old. Both have run 55k kms at the moment.
I will suggest you to change the lower arms. The part numbers are shown in the photograph.

I think that the bush replacement is not an option for Made In India Maruti Suzuki SX4; the lower arms will be damaged if you try to take out the worn bush.

As you would have already guessed, the two cars with 55k mileage would have been run with different gentleness to cause different wear.

About the jerk: Don't you notice the jerk in 1st gear?
Attached Thumbnails
Issues with my Maruti SX4-img20190203wa0035.jpg  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 3rd February 2019 at 23:34.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks