Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 20:16   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
As far as I remember Punto 90Hp was not introduced in 2009,it cam in late 2010 after Auto Expo debut in Jan 2010, so there are no 2009 Punto 90Hp on the road or ever sold by Fiat.
The recall includes 2010 cars as well,mine is a 2010 Linea MJD,and its currently going through timing chain upgrade.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 21:15   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
we cant feel any change after the timing chain replacement.The problem was the timing chain fiat used in 90bhp engines was that of 75bhp engine in some cases the timing chain expands and starts rubbing with the pump(the distance between these two is verysmall) which is placed below the timing chain and as a result metal grains are formed and it gets mixed with engine oil,circulates throughout the engine and this causes severe engine problems.usually these problems are found in vehicles with underbody damage(damage which happends because of low ground clearence).Its highly recommended to change to new timing chain which is developed for 90bhp engine.
I read somewhere,that new timing chains,are less noisy as well.
I will have the details tommorow.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 21:59   #18
BHPian
 
BuRnT RuBbEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DL 1
Posts: 367
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

^ which month in 2010? mine is dec 2010 and m getting calls form *** since last two days about 'satisfaction'. they have not mentioning any timing chain recall.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 22:23   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRnT RuBbEr View Post
^ which month in 2010? mine is dec 2010 and m getting calls form *** since last two days about 'satisfaction'. they have not mentioning any timing chain recall.
march 2010,i never got a call either,i followed up on it on my own.
and tele callers from aftersales would hardly know about a recall,get in touch with works manager
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 16:41   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 136
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

I am using Feb 2009 Linea MJD. In few days I will be going for a replacement of timing chain. As few others have done it wanted to know the difference in engine. Like engine noise, vibration, or any other difference anyone has noticed after the chain replacement?
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 17:31   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash View Post
I am using Feb 2009 Linea MJD. In few days I will be going for a replacement of timing chain. As few others have done it wanted to know the difference in engine. Like engine noise, vibration, or any other difference anyone has noticed after the chain replacement?
In my car, there used to be a slight KRRR sound for 5 seconds after first start,it vanished after the timing chain upgrade,and engine feels slightly silent than before(may be it just in my head).
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 23:33   #22
BHPian
 
one-77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: KL08/MH01
Posts: 358
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

How much do they charge for the replacement?
Or is it covered under warranty, as it should be?
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:20   #23
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
How much do they charge for the replacement?
Or is it covered under warranty, as it should be?
Its covered under warranty.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 14:26   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
How much do they charge for the replacement?
Or is it covered under warranty, as it should be?
It is covered under warranty,but you need to pay for consumables,and if the chain guide\support needs to be replaced,you have to pay for that as well,I had got oil and filter changed as well,so the total bill was around 4.6K
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 08:22   #25
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

My worst fears became true yesterday. When I was driving back home on my Punto 90HP the vehicle stopped on the road all of a sudden. It wouldn't crank. So I parked it off the road. Thought the issue was with the battery as it was already 2.5 years old. But it turned out to be the timing chain issue. The timing chain had broke.


After going through this thread, I'd been to the dealership more than a year back to check if there was a recall. The answer was a no then. The SA has informed me that the timing chain will be replaced under warranty. But I think I'll have to shell out for the oil change.

P.S: My car is a OCT 2010 make.
Rufus_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 10:45   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
My worst fears became true yesterday. When I was driving back home on my Punto 90HP the vehicle stopped on the road all of a sudden. It wouldn't crank. So I parked it off the road. Thought the issue was with the battery as it was already 2.5 years old. But it turned out to be the timing chain issue. The timing chain had broke.


After going through this thread, I'd been to the dealership more than a year back to check if there was a recall. The answer was a no then. The SA has informed me that the timing chain will be replaced under warranty. But I think I'll have to shell out for the oil change.

P.S: My car is a OCT 2010 make.
Sorry to hear about this. How many km's on the ODO? It's the first time I have heard timing chain break on MJD. Mostly heard about it getting a bit loose (developing slack) and hence Fiat advised to change every 60k km's.

Any engine damage your SA mentioned about? I think MJD engine cam shafts have rocker arms to protect valves hitting pistons in case of timing chain issue but not sure if it really does the same?
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 11:17   #27
BHPian
 
Rufus_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Sorry to hear about this. How many km's on the ODO? It's the first time I have heard timing chain break on MJD. Mostly heard about it getting a bit loose (developing slack) and hence Fiat advised to change every 60k km's.

Any engine damage your SA mentioned about? I think MJD engine cam shafts have rocker arms to protect valves hitting pistons in case of timing chain issue but not sure if it really does the same?
It's done only 35k kms on the odo. Thankfully no damage on the engine & other parts. I did not get too much time to look into it, but the F.A.S.S are still checking for any other faults. I drive sedately and at the the time of the incident I was doing 40kmph.

Yes, the Fiat service schedule recommends the change of timing chain every 4years/60,000kms, whichever is earlier.
Rufus_M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 11:26   #28
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 574
Thanked: 308 Times
Default Re: Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall

I have had a timing chain replacement as a part of standard 60000Km service a couple of days back. It is not under warranty and I paid about 10000Rs for Timing Kit and Labour.
vikrantj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 17:57   #29
BHPian
 
justin.das's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 94
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: (90 BHP) Owners .High Oil consumption After timing chain replacement

A Brief Introduction To My Car
  • Model : Fiat Linea Diesel Emotion Pack
  • Date of Purchase : 23-03-2009
  • Kilometers Covered : 78000kms
  • Current Issue : High Oil Consumption
  • Past Issues : Replaced Timing Chain Twice(Once as part of a Recall and second timing because of timing chain noise .
  • Last Timing Chain Replacement At : 68307kms as part of goodwill warranty

My car is a Fiat Linea Emotion Diesel (2009 make) and it clocked 78000km till date, within these 78000kms I changed the timing chain twice, first as part of the recall and second time after almost 15000kms from the initial replacement because of noise from timing chain .Fiat was kind enough to change it under good will warranty. Within the next 10,000 kilometers from the last timing chain replacement the engine started consuming oil and the dealer is asking to change half engine which will cost me more than a lakh and the dealer is not giving any confirmation that it will solve the issue and it will not occur again.
My car is properly maintained and serviced at fiat dealerships and I have all the service records with me. As per my research and within my friends the same issue is there with 5 Linea’s. One thing similar with all the reported cases where that all of them changed the timing chain. I am not able digest the fact that my car engine failed pre-maturely at 78000kms. Fiat being an engine manufacturer and MJD the national engine of India, how can be an engine this much unreliable .Is it a manufacturer issue or a dealer issue? As per the dealership they don't know the exact reason why the engine failed and this issue is there in many Linea's. My car doesn’t have any power loss and is still returning very good mileage.
Dealer's Opinion
1) It happens to old linea's the issue is common among these cars
2) The engine is underpowered and vehicle is very heavy so the engine is having high stress hence pre-mature failure
3) No point in repairing these cars as the issue may re occur even after replacing half engine better sell it
justin.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 18:13   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default Re: (90 BHP) Owners .High Oil consumption After timing chain replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
A Brief Introduction To My Car
  • Model : Fiat Linea Diesel Emotion Pack
  • Date of Purchase : 23-03-2009
  • Kilometers Covered : 78000kms
  • Current Issue : High Oil Consumption
  • Past Issues : Replaced Timing Chain Twice(Once as part of a Recall and second timing because of timing chain noise .
  • Last Timing Chain Replacement At : 68307kms as part of goodwill warranty

My car is a Fiat Linea Emotion Diesel (2009 make) and it clocked 78000km till date, within these 78000kms I changed the timing chain twice, first as part of the recall and second time after almost 15000kms from the initial replacement because of noise from timing chain .Fiat was kind enough to change it under good will warranty. Within the next 10,000 kilometers from the last timing chain replacement the engine started consuming oil and the dealer is asking to change half engine which will cost me more than a lakh and the dealer is not giving any confirmation that it will solve the issue and it will not occur again.
My car is properly maintained and serviced at fiat dealerships and I have all the service records with me. As per my research and within my friends the same issue is there with 5 Linea’s. One thing similar with all the reported cases where that all of them changed the timing chain. I am not able digest the fact that my car engine failed pre-maturely at 78000kms. Fiat being an engine manufacturer and MJD the national engine of India, how can be an engine this much unreliable .Is it a manufacturer issue or a dealer issue? As per the dealership they don't know the exact reason why the engine failed and this issue is there in many Linea's. My car doesn’t have any power loss and is still returning very good mileage.
Dealer's Opinion
1) It happens to old linea's the issue is common among these cars
2) The engine is underpowered and vehicle is very heavy so the engine is having high stress hence pre-mature failure
3) No point in repairing these cars as the issue may re occur even after replacing half engine better sell it
Hey, very sorry to hear about your car justin.

I have a few questions.

1) How was your daily running and at what intervals/kilometers was the oil changed ?

2) Have you asked Fiat to sort the engine trouble out for goodwill warranty too as your car has already faced a lot of problems earlier ?
humyum is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Linea 1.3L MJD - Timing Chain octy9833 Technical Stuff 49 16th September 2016 13:34
520 Chain (Karizma Chain) Query DeepakMenon Motorbikes 11 10th December 2009 12:29
Timing (cam) belt vs chain sbasak Technical Stuff 33 10th November 2009 16:00
ford ikon 1.6 timing chain noise? silver_shadow Technical Stuff 7 29th November 2008 19:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:14.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks