Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2006, 18:48   #16
BHPian

off late the quality of maruti cars are going down. if u look at the head castings, the ports are just not as good as they used to be. That is the main reason why the older cars rocked!
Old 27th April 2006, 19:38   #17
BHPian

I was told so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Maruti salesman told that 94 bhp is @ 6000 rpm and 91 bhp is @ 5500 rpm...so nothing has changed itseems.

www.marutibaleno.com mentions 91 bhp @ 5500 rpm

[so i am not sure where you got "91bhp@6000 RPM" from?]
Yep you are right...Correction! ...I think the car can only produce 91bhp@5500RPM
But the earlier one did a 94@6000RPM.
Old 27th April 2006, 19:48   #18
BHPian

EGR valve? & ECU flash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Also something that we found out was the E-III's have a EGR valve which is absent on the E-II's .. ..........
Thanks for your inputs mate...
I'm dropping my ideas of Super Esteem, thinking of a 2003 Baleno
So what is EGR valve, does it benifit?
and can we get the ECU flashed? or upgraded?
Old 28th April 2006, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed true that the BHP figures of the Euro-III baleno have dropped down to 91 ps from 94 ps .. However the peak power is now produced at 500 rpms lesser at 5500 .. Same is the case with the torque as well i guess .. Peak torque is developed at 500 rpms lesser ..

However against the company claims of 91ps , the E-III balenos feel more like they are putting out nothing more than 80 horses at the wheel .. V1p3r's and monish's baleno the two E-II that i have driven move way faster .. And im sure just 3 bhp drop in power cant make that much of a difference ..

E-III cars have much better ECU's .. Its difficult to fool around with them .. We tried removing the revv limiter on a E-III ECU and the revv limiter started kicking in at 20 , 40 , 60 km/hr ... However given the right set of tools these E-III ECU's have a lot of potential ..

Also something that we found out was the E-III's have a EGR valve which is absent on the E-II's .. Also , the cat con has been moved closer to the manifold and thus acts as a major restriction to the flow of exhaust gases .. These are the resons for the power drop in the Euro-III balenos .. Also there are two more mufflers to muffle the sound by a long margin ..

To overcome this , pyscho has disconnected the EGR valve and also removed the cat con and installed a free flow on my baleno .. The end muffler growls like crazy at anything over 1600 rpms , thus my shifts have now got down to 1500 rpms and with all the engine mods im still getting a mileage of around 15 ... This along with a brilliant headwork has just transformed my car into the next level of performance nirvana ..
Hey McLaren,
the above post looks very technical. Can you please clarify these..

1. What is ECU?
2. If power was reduced from 94 to 91, did it result just in reduced emission or it also increases FE?
3. 'brilliant headwork' ...what is this?
Old 28th April 2006, 16:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed true that the BHP figures of the Euro-III baleno have dropped down to 91 ps from 94 ps .. However the peak power is now produced at 500 rpms lesser at 5500 .. Same is the case with the torque as well i guess .. Peak torque is developed at 500 rpms lesser ..
That is not the case with peak torque. There is a slight drop in the amount of torque (132N-m down to 130.5N-m) but the rpm is same for both and it is 3000... if I remember correctly.
Old 28th April 2006, 17:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also something that we found out was the E-III's have a EGR valve which is absent on the E-II's ..
What is EGR valve? what is it meant for??

Quote:
Also , the cat con has been moved closer to the manifold and thus acts as a major restriction to the flow of exhaust gases .. These are the resons for the power drop in the Euro-III balenos .. Also there are two more mufflers to muffle the sound by a long margin ..

To overcome this , pyscho has disconnected the EGR valve and also removed the cat con and installed a free flow on my baleno .. The end muffler growls like crazy at anything over 1600 rpms , thus my shifts have now got down to 1500 rpms and with all the engine mods im still getting a mileage of around 15 ...
Isn't removing exhaust flow restrictions supposed to INCREASE FE? I believe thats why auto guys (in bangalore at least) remove the silencer and create a hell lot of noise pollution And also it may be making engine more rev-happy (leaving aside embarrassment due to the roar ), does it?

Last edited by santosh.s : 28th April 2006 at 17:42.
Old 29th April 2006, 16:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
thus my shifts have now got down to 1500 rpms and with all the engine mods im still getting a mileage of around 15 ... This along with a brilliant headwork has just transformed my car into the next level of performance nirvana ..
Hey McLaren, I am amazed u are getting 15KMPL with all that mods.. looks like some one is doing magic on ur car .. Would love to see your car some day !!
Old 29th April 2006, 17:39   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
What is EGR valve? what is it meant for??
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation .. As the name suggests , the exhaust gases are re-circulated such that a faint amount of warm air enters thus making the engine run lean , thus reduced emissions , thus drop in power and better FE ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Hey McLaren,
the above post looks very technical. Can you please clarify these..

1. What is ECU?
2. If power was reduced from 94 to 91, did it result just in reduced emission or it also increases FE?
3. 'brilliant headwork' ...what is this?
1. ECU stands for Electronic Control Unit .. This is nothing but a chip that controls the AFR (air fuel ratios , ignition timings etc ) and the other engine parameters ..
2. The answer to ur 2nd question lies above in the explaination of the EGR thingy ..
3. By headwork i mean porting and polishing of the head .. Basically it increases ur power ..

[QUOTE-shazikon]Hey McLaren, I am amazed u are getting 15KMPL with all that mods.. looks like some one is doing magic on ur car .. Would love to see your car some day !![/quote]

Well im amazed too .. I guess psycho is waving his magic wand around .. Just came from the garage after finishing a few pending works .. The car now sounds like a rally car ..
Old 9th May 2006, 13:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
However against the company claims of 91ps , the E-III balenos feel more like they are putting out nothing more than 80 horses at the wheel ..
Isn't that taking it too far. I assume Maruti would have tested the E-III Baleno before publishing the revised figures which were 3 bhp less. They did delay the official figures and the early E-II cars (like mine) had published specs of 94 Bhp.
I know Maruti does goof ups but i don't think they would err by 5-10 bhp range of negative error.
Anyway if it's true then Maruti deserves to be sued royally!

Quote:
V1p3r's and monish's baleno the two E-II that i have driven move way faster .. And im sure just 3 bhp drop in power cant make that much of a difference ..
Were these stock cars? I have driven a E-II Baleno myself. It's pretty decent but nothing like a fire breathing monster that you seem to say about the E-II cars. I did notice that the noise was more compared to my car. But the E-II car's almost done 1Lakh km on the OD.
Old 9th May 2006, 21:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Isn't that taking it too far. I assume Maruti would have tested the E-III Baleno before publishing the revised figures which were 3 bhp less. They did delay the official figures and the early E-II cars (like mine) had published specs of 94 Bhp.
I know Maruti does goof ups but i don't think they would err by 5-10 bhp range of negative error.
Anyway if it's true then Maruti deserves to be sued royally!
How is a car's power measured? is there any agency which monitors this?

if the bhp came down from 94 to 91 i assume even the 0-100 timing would have increased now.....??
Old 9th May 2006, 21:16   #26
ECM
BHPian

Bharat II is better than Bharat III

Don't ask me how I know this but B-III leaves lot of junks on head,pistion in longer run,also note one picular thing of all B-III engines that the horrible smell comes out of silencor when car is in idle positon and engine is running.better go for B-II than B-III.
Old 9th May 2006, 22:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Don't ask me how I know this but B-III leaves lot of junks on head,pistion in longer run,also note one picular thing of all B-III engines that the horrible smell comes out of silencor when car is in idle positon and engine is running.better go for B-II than B-III.
Horrible smell comes from the silencer during idle??????? Thats news to me.

I own a BS!! as well as a BS!!! Esteem and i never noticed any smell in the latter...You mind explaining that . Haven't even noticed any smell emanating from my BS!!! Baleno.

Yup, but i do agree sadly the BS!!! cars do feel less powerful than their BS!! counterparts
Old 9th May 2006, 22:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Damn it, then why is maruti selling B-III
Old 9th May 2006, 22:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
better go for B-II than B-III.
How is that possible???? In Mumbai if i deceide to buy a new car, it has to be a BS!!!. BS!! cars are not even available anymore.......Or am i missing something
Old 9th May 2006, 22:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Better to have less polluting cars for a slight loss of power.

I don't like this idea of removing the cat con..its there for a purpose ..i.e. reduce pollution.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks