Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 09:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Single-driver vs multiple-driver Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
To try and illustrate lets say driver A has a driving style that results in wear of X per kilometer. Driver B has a driving style that results in wear of Y per kilometer. Their collective wear is (X+Y) per kilometer. There is no additional multiplying factor, as some seem to suggest, for having multiple drivers. Its just the cummulitive total of wear and tear per driver.
Assume A drives for x kilometers and causes X wear and tear while B drives for y km and causes Y wear and tear.

Shouldn't the per kilometer wear and tear be (Xx+Yy)/(x+y)?

If wear and tear is indeed X+Y as you mentioned, then it is not in sync with your previous argument that the additional wear and tear is due to more miles on the car due to combined usage.
Old 5th December 2014, 14:12   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Single-driver vs multiple-driver Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Assume A drives for x kilometers and causes X wear and tear while B drives for y km and causes Y wear and tear.

Shouldn't the per kilometer wear and tear be (Xx+Yy)/(x+y)?

If wear and tear is indeed X+Y as you mentioned, then it is not in sync with your previous argument that the additional wear and tear is due to more miles on the car due to combined usage.
Lets recognize we are trying to put something in a formulea just for the sake of simplification.

So let's look at a 'simulated' case with (unrealistic numbers), just to understand/illustrate how I think it works

Driver A: his/her driving style gives 1mm wear on the tyres per 1000km
Driver B: his/her driving style gives 0.6mm wear on the tyres per 1000km

Driver A does 5000 km and Driver B does 3000 km, so a total of 8000km

The total (absolute) wear: (5x1) + (3x.6) =6.8mm.
The toal combined wear per km is (6.8/8) = 0.85 per km.

The combined wear depends, of course on the driver A mileage versus driver B. So it depend a bit on how you want to see it, in absolute wear or wear per km.

So whichever way you look at it, underlying is the fact that the actaul mileage determines the absolute and the wear per km.

Jeroen
Old 6th December 2014, 11:06   #93

Re: Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape

My Jeep Willys (Mogha) has a Toyota 2D engine. Last night decided to take her out for a spin seeing that the weather was wonderful. After I clicked on the ignition the heater sounds usually come on for about 10 seconds but it continued to go on for over a minute. So I got bored and started it anyways. Even after that the noise continued. Please help!
Old 6th December 2014, 16:35   #94
BHPian

Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Santhosh,

Probably i am responding very late since i was travelling. Harvesting rain water is fine if it rains, right ! in Karnataka, we have reached almost a famine condition and interstate meaningless debate to share water. Wonder where all these issues will end ?

I was only suggesting that we in the forum avoid washing the cars with corporation water when there is an issue with this precious natural resource. Mind you, the stores selling mineral water have started charging 10 % more on the MRP in Bangalore these days understanding the grave situation we are going into.

i have 5 cars to take care, but i ensure that none of cars are getting a wash unnecessarily whatsover. If you happen to see my cars on the road, probably you will stop me and suggest a free wash.

My intention here is to get real in life and nothing else. The cars can stay without a wash. Lets get judicious and discreet in everyday life, lets change India, let us work together to get INDIA on the top. let us set aside our egos. Let us all make a start. There is a severe shortage of cooperation in us. Lets remove it.

Everyone thinks " Me alone cant change

This is a very delicate albeit important issue. I want my car clean (hey it's probably the second largest investment after house) at the same time I want to not waste too much of water for the sake if 1.25b Indians.

My observation: when I wash car myself I end up wasting more water than my society's watchman! Though I am getting better when I must these guys ( at least my society watchman) are very keen on washing tens of cars in just one bucket full of water

Last edited by TMRT : 6th December 2014 at 17:01.
Old 13th July 2015, 21:25   #95
BHPian

I have a doubt.
Let's say a car is 6 years old but has run only 25k kms. Does it still need a change of tyres?
I've heard that by the time the tyres are 6 years old, they have dried up and are not grippy anymore. How true is that?
Old 13th July 2015, 21:33   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I have a doubt.
Let's say a car is 6 years old but has run only 25k kms. Does it still need a change of tyres?
I've heard that by the time the tyres are 6 years old, they have dried up and are not grippy anymore. How true is that?
With age the rubber gets hard and develops cracks that make it weaker and would give way if gone over any debris/pothole at high speeds irrespective the miles that set of tyres would have clocked.

You can see fine, small cracks on them which tell you that they need to be changed!

Posting a picture of my bike's tyre that was old and begging to be changed:

Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-old-front.jpg

Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-old-rear.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th July 2015 at 21:35.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 15:48   #97
Senior - BHPian

My dad's 2005 Swift has been dripping green fluid on the front drivers floor for few days now. It is at a very slow rate and after a week is noticeable since it forms a small puddle right below the clutch pedal.
This morning I checked the source and it seems from a pipe under the dash right behind the center console. The pipe is a metal one with a rubber pipe on one half and it seems it's leaking from this joint.
I took the car for a spin with the AC running and checked again and although I couldn't find fresh fluid since I had wiped it clean earlier, the pipe was warm to touch.
Recently the coolant reservoir was almost empty and I had topped it up and has reduced just a bit since.
Is this the coolant or something else?
AC works fine except for the compressor cutting on/off more than often. It was overhauled around 4 years ago.
I wanted some inputs and info before heading to the service center.

Bottom and side view from under the dash. A drop of green fluid can be seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-img_20150816_123622.jpg  

Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-img_20150816_124143.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 17th August 2015 at 15:52.
Old 18th August 2015, 07:33   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
...dripping green fluid...
Is this the coolant or something else?
That's coolant leaking from the cabin heater coil inside the dashboard. Either a pipe, or the heater itself.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:11   #99
BHPian

Wonderful article that I stumbled upon by compulsion!

Little backstory, we were planning to book the new Ford Figo. Did test drive and fell in love with the 1.5D, puts a wide grin on your face.

So decided to go ahead with the booking, as we already had a team-bhp review of Aspire so was assured about Figo too.

Then came the hardest part, choosing the color. My heart said Black and my head said anything other than Black and White. Then, wifey said Black. Long story short, booked a Tuxedo Black Figo yesterday.

Now, I am already having nightmares of maintaining the black beauty even before getting the car delivered.

But this thread, gives me hope and gives me confidence that it can be done. A little extra effort and time to care for your prized possesion can keep it in pristine condition. I don't know if I can be as meticulous as some of the members here, but rest assured I am going to try.

Wish me luck!
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 16:12   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another car that deserves to be on this thread.

Manuuj's Fortuner with 150,000 kms on the clock & still on the original clutch. Looks like a 1 year old car to my eyes!

Ownership Report
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 16:28   #101
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...• Monitor your fuel economy. There’s no indicator of a car’s well-being as its fuel economy. If the FE nosedives, that’s your first clue to something going wrong.
Monitoring PUC test results is another indicator. Though the individual gas emissions remain under the OK cut off, emissions can rise up to 10 times in an abnormal car when compared to readings of a normal one.
ImprezaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 08:09   #102
BHPian

My 2002 Honda City. Completed 97000kms last week. I drive this car daily (50-75kms). Recently changed the shocks, bushing, lower arm, axle, tires (205/60 r14) and got the car serviced.
I polish the car(in&out) every Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Practices : Maintain your Car in Top Shape-fb_img_1466524703349.jpg  

Jassy1313 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 22:20   #103
BHPian

Need some advice.

My mom picked up a pre owned A4 in 2014. It was 2.0TDi 3years old and 20000 on the clock.

I had a service done as soon as it came home.

My mom had it driven for 2000km in the last 2 years.

I have brought it to Bangalore with me.

The advice I need.

It has been two years since the last service.
The car was used very sparingly.

Everything seemed to be working fine during the ride to Bangalore.

But I want to go the preventive route.

All the fluids are still tank full from last service two years ago.

What all need to be replaced?
Oil?
Tyres?
Other fluids?
Mechanical components?
Old 29th June 2016, 22:52   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What all need to be replaced? Oil? Tyres? Other fluids? Mechanical components?
I'd say change engine oil and filter for sure! Maybe even brake fluid if that was never done in the past. Get the tyres checked too. Low use cars are prone to having tyres with flat spots or minor cracks due to their being parked for long periods of time. Have the fuel tank and filters checked as well.

Get the car checked by an Audi workshop they should be able to advise you in detail.

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th June 2016 at 22:54.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 01:02   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Need some advice.
What all need to be replaced?
:
Ensure that you grease all components that use grease as a lubricant. The grease would have dried up by now. Perhaps the best suggestion is to give it to Audi or to a FNG for a complete regular service. You definitely need to change oil and the filters need to be replaced or cleaned (air filter cleaned most likely). Also, have them check all the fluids.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks