Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 18:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Even I drive a Civic-AT and ZEN LXi.

Manual Car gives a feeling of Self-service fast food restaurant (not dhabas) whereas AT feels like a fine dining restaurant, something like 4-5 star.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:37   #32
BHPian

Major reasons for default manual trannys in india:
1. Automatic transmissions are relatively expensive and bump up the price which may push a car out of its competing segment.

2. Manual trannys give better fuel economy ( there are some exceptions like civic in US). In US fuel is subsidized and pretty cheap compared to india, so people can afford to trade in some fuel economy for convinience.

3. Automatic tranmissions perform better when mated to bigger displacement engines.
A 1.3L engine in india is considered as of decent size, where as in US even entry level compact cars carry a 1.8L engine.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:41   #33
BHPian

Automatics are for week day commuting

Manuals are for week end spirited driving
Old 5th December 2008, 18:02   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayrv View Post
"Driving an automatic transmission is like marrying a pregnant woman "
Well Said..
I am sincerely thinking about marrying with pregnant lady.

Can any one inform here about regular maintenance issues involved with Auto Transmission in i10 kappa magna and also its fuel consumption.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:09   #35
BHPian

dunno abt maintenance but expect an FE of 9-11 kmpl in city
Old 5th December 2008, 21:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

As far as Civic is concerned, there is absolutely no special maintenance required.
Old 7th December 2008, 13:37   #37
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking for a small car with A/T for only city driving (primarily to be driven by my wife). With what ever I read so far, Santro A/T is a decent choice. From the website I found that there is A/T model for i10 available now. Any feedback on this model will be very helpful for my decission.

Also please feel free to suggest on the maintenance cost and FE as I am not at all sure on that.
Old 7th December 2008, 22:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Hi All,
I am looking for a small car with A/T for only city driving (primarily to be driven by my wife). With what ever I read so far, Santro A/T is a decent choice. From the website I found that there is A/T model for i10 available now. Any feedback on this model will be very helpful for my decission.
Also please feel free to suggest on the maintenance cost and FE as I am not at all sure on that.
Make sure you check the Santro AT too, IMO The deal is a better one. rather than the i10, but i could be wrong. Maintaining an automatic is easy, coz the excessive abuse that a manual can go through is not there, Gear changes and braking, revving and other manual 'features' are missing...
But the flip side is a 'lower FE' from the manual counterpart. My dad drives a Santro AT and he gets about 11.5 and and maybe 13 on highway.
Once you drive it you are gonna love it.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:54   #39
BHPian

The major grouse against A/T seems to be the rather low FE in Indian city conditions. Would this not be a valid case for the entry of a Diesel A/T in around the 6-7L segment. I have always wondered why no manufacturer has not even attempted this? Agreed the cost could be a double premium(Diesel Engine+A/T) on a similar petrol M/T car, but I believe there is a very good market for such a car. Imagine a Fiesta Diesel A/T for around 9L on road BLR, giving a FE of 12Kmpl in City instead of the 14kmpl for the Diesel M/T variant.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica View Post
The major grouse against A/T seems to be the rather low FE in Indian city conditions. Would this not be a valid case for the entry of a Diesel A/T in around the 6-7L segment. I have always wondered why no manufacturer has not even attempted this? Agreed the cost could be a double premium(Diesel Engine+A/T) on a similar petrol M/T car, but I believe there is a very good market for such a car. Imagine a Fiesta Diesel A/T for around 9L on road BLR, giving a FE of 12Kmpl in City instead of the 14kmpl for the Diesel M/T variant.
I have been waiting ( getting grey hair now) for Tata, Maruti, Fiat, now even GM and Ford to look at this market and launch a deisel hatch with AT and even a sedan with AT in the B+ and C+ segment. There is a market available for people who just dont consider FE as be all and end all for buying a vehicle. Driving comfort, less wear and tear and eventually less maintenance for essential parts of the vehicle should be a top priority while considering buying such cars
Old 8th December 2008, 14:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Maintaining an automatic is easy, coz the excessive abuse that a manual can go through is not there, Gear changes and braking, revving and other manual 'features' are missing...
Of course you have braking in an auto
I have not used an AT but I think it is far more easier to keep the revs low and still drive in decent speeds in a manual trasmission than an auto.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Can any one inform here about regular maintenance issues involved with Auto Transmission in i10 kappa magna and also its fuel consumption.
I get about 8 KMPL now on i10-Asta. Pure city driving, short commutes. Zero rupees spent on maint so far (2300 Km done).
Old 8th December 2008, 14:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Even I drive a Civic-AT and ZEN LXi.

Manual Car gives a feeling of Self-service fast food restaurant (not dhabas) whereas AT feels like a fine dining restaurant, something like 4-5 star.
I think you are talking about the general experience in each of your cars, not just the transmission.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:08   #44
BHPian

Have been driving in an a/t santro since may 08 ,7000km till date ,2 services done ..

what i have noticed is after the 2nd service the pick up has definately improved....(but it can never match the pick up of a M/T)

touched about 135km/hr on it as the top speed( have installed k&n replacement air filter,so maybe an extra 2-3 bhp is is beacuse of that)...

FE would range between 10-11...

out and out the santro automatic is a good car ,total hassle free driving in the city,no worries on the highway too ( have done hyd-mum-hyd) and i coudnt feel any difference on the ghats/uphill/downhill/while overtaking in comparision to the manual transmission...

Anybody wanting to buy a santro A/T ,i would say go for it !
Old 10th December 2008, 17:23   #45
BHPian

1. As quoted already, Fuel Economy, Low power of engines and to some extent competitive pricing are the reasons why MT prevails over AT in India.

2. A/t are certainly not going to have too many problems. However, because they have more electronic and mechanical parts that are relatively more complex in engineering and manufacturing, the chances that there might be a problem is slightly high over a manual. Adding to it, since the volume of a/t boxes sold in India are very low, these are fully imported and spare stocks are low and scarce and hence could be
expensive and time consuming to fix problems. (I had troubles with my chevy optra A/t, this version is no longer available)

3. Apart from the Santro and the City, i10, Wagon R(made to order) Scorpio offer Auto tranny option.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks