Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 21:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Very well said ImmortalZ.

I was desperate to say all this is this thread but you got the right words and description.

I am enjoying this for 2 years 4 months and 10 days.

Normally I don't drive fast but once in a while if a friend is sitting besides me and says that automatics are slow, all you need is just press the accelerator quickly to the fullest and the cars runs like a bullet and the friend feels as if he is being left behind. He cannot even lean forward at that point of time because of tremendous force that is pushing him behind.

People who say Automatics are sluggish, should experience it just once. I know there are experts out here but all I want to say that all the car lovers should experience new age Automatics once at least and should not believe what they have been hearing.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah, one more thing. The automatic's torque converter multiplies torque at low RPMs (a unique effect of its design), so even at low RPMs, a dab of the accelerator will push you back into your seat while in a manual, it is much more subtle.

The car also inches forward at idle RPMs ( in reverse too - as my rear bumper found out much to my chagrin ). When you combine both of these things, it's like a diesel engine that revs to the stratosphere with no turbo lag and gives petrol-esque mileage :o
Old 14th December 2008, 22:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

a Honda civic is by most Indian standards a fast car, and the A/T shouldn't be much of a slouch either.
I was talking about the auto box santros and 3 speeder wagon R's

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th December 2008 at 22:26.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:27   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a honda civic is by most standards a fast car, and so should the A/T.
I was talking about the auto box santros and 3 speeder wagon R's
I cant comment on the Santro gearbox but I can say one thing about the Maruti auto trannys. They are the worst gearboxes ever. I have been through two Maruti AT cars, an 800 and a Zen. The trannys were really bad. Even the authorised service station guys were not trained to handle situations in case there was a problem with the slush box.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Greenhorn, I would love to give you a joyride in my Civic-AT if you planning to land anytime soon in Delhi.

On a serious note, go and test drive a Civic-AT in your own City. It will be a great fun to test drive that car. You can not drive your own car as you can drive a demo car.
Old 14th December 2008, 22:53   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
What would that mean.
I did not drive an AT for 160,000kms and it took me not more than 2 mins and 1-2 kms to get the hang for it. A person who drives (as opposed to one who is learning) should have no problem at all switching between the two.
Well.. there was a typo which was utilized to the fullest
Anyway, what I meant was - if you have driven auto all your life, switching to manual is no mean task.
I am not talking about your case wherein you switched from manual to auto - which anyway is a cakewalk
Old 14th December 2008, 23:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
drove (driven)
New reply since I missed mentioning this in my original response, and am unable to edit it now -
OT - were you trying to correct a grammatical mistake here? If yes, you ought to refer to drove definition | Dictionary.com which not only suggests 'drove' as a perfectly valid verb but also that it can be used interchangably (synonym if you like) with 'driven'..

Last edited by AlokSriva : 14th December 2008 at 23:28.
Old 14th December 2008, 23:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

mukeshji, they don't have AT for TD in TVM. Peninsular is a bunch of thieves really.
Old 14th December 2008, 23:48   #69

there is only one reason why i like a Manual Tranny over an Autobox. You cant really do massive wheelspins in an Auto can you??

Ohh and you cant rev the pants of the car in an auto.
Old 14th December 2008, 23:54   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
there is only one reason why i like a Manual Tranny over an Autobox. You cant really do massive wheelspins in an Auto can you??

well you can do both. for the first one just depends how powerful the engine is and if the tcs can be switched off.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can, in the Civic. Put the gear into S, hit the paddles, floor the accelerator. The car will hit the same redline as the manual and stay there, bouncing off the limiter until you upshift. And with the gear lock system, you aren't losing half the power in slip.

As for wheelspins, I haven't tried, honestly.
Old 15th December 2008, 06:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
greenie, one of these days we must meet. I shall let you take my car for a spin and experience the auto 'box and see how you like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Greenhorn, I would love to give you a joyride in my Civic-AT if you planning to land anytime soon in Delhi.

On a serious note, go and test drive a Civic-AT in your own City. It will be a great fun to test drive that car. You can not drive your own car as you can drive a demo car.
maybe i should take up your offer Immortalz. lets see

ooh, and i rip my own car well enough TY - I've only seen taxiwallas do it better
Old 15th December 2008, 09:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hey ImmortalZ. Good to see after our (your and mine) posts, not many people are complaining about Automatics.

It was like I used to feel about diesel cars till few years ago. A clear No-No. Unless I drove new generation Diesels like Innova, Swift, Fiesta, etc. Now, I love good diesel cars equally.

A saying in Hindi which means (Don't Trust what you hear, trust only what you see yourself).
Old 15th December 2008, 10:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oh yes you can . Try it at a TD sometime. The Accord V6 does massive wheelspins once you floor the pedal in D. Its the same with any other AT, you just need to know the technique to do it.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Oh yes you can . Try it at a TD sometime. The Accord V6 does massive wheelspins once you floor the pedal in D. Its the same with any other AT, you just need to know the technique to do it.
Isnt it the same wheelspin that makes the cars to get to a screatching start in Hollywood movies ? and they are ATs
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks