Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 07:31   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6S, well maintained, AC hardly cooling after replacing AC temp sensor.

You diagnosed it yourself looks like, show it to the local mechanic and ask him to check all the packing
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:47   #242

Re: 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6S, well maintained, AC hardly cooling after replacing AC temp sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You diagnosed it yourself looks like, show it to the local mechanic and ask him to check all the packing

Thanks for guiding in the right direction.

Today I tried to diagnose it myself without opening the whole dashboard. Following are my observations:

1. Recirculate (inside outside air) motor was working but the cable was stuck! I forced it by hand in the fully close (full recirculate) position. It stays there since motor is unable to pull this jammed cable.

2. 2 years back, I had stuffed some sponge around the heating coil. If I remove the sponge, little bit of air will leak from there, despite the temp selector knob at full COLD position. How much air leaks: Temp knob at full hot then say the air leaking out is 100. By turning knob to full cold, leaking air is around 10-15.

The air vent temp doesn't change whether I stuff the sponge or not.

Even after doing all the above changes, the air vent temperature stays around 13-14 degree celsius i.e. no change.

3. Cabin air filter is missing.

Can I TOUCH the cooling coil (evaporator) with my fingers or thermometer probe to check its temperature (will touch gently not to bend the fins)?
I have a multimeter with a thermocouple type sensor. I wish to check the evaporator coil's temperature to see how cold it gets before the compressor cuts off.
Old 18th February 2021, 16:57   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arya809 View Post
Thanks for guiding in the right direction.

Today I tried to diagnose it myself without opening the whole dashboard. Following are my observations:
Please fix the packing and the recirculate cable and install a cabin air filter. Without the filter you probably have a clogged cooling coil so you may still have to strip the dash and check.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 13:57   #244
Senior - BHPian

Are rear air vents useful?

So do the rear Air Vents (Not separate rear Air Con), help in keeping the rear cool? I have never had the experience of using these till now (for long durations), with both our recent cars not having them (Amaze and Ecosport). While the AC in Ecosport is fantastic and even the rear passengers don't complain, I am curious if the cooling offered by a Nexon/Venue by courtesy of their rear Air vent is better?

If we move a segment or two higher, I had the experience of using these in my test drives of MG Hector and Kia Seltos. I believe in such cars, where the greenhouse area is large, these might serve some purpose, but not sure of their necessity in sub 4 metre cars.

Thoughts on this?
Old 16th April 2021, 14:11   #245
BHPian

Re: Are rear air vents useful?

i have this on the grandi10 . It was advertised as first in class having this feature back then. normally my parents or inlaws are the the back seat and its a nice feature to have for them. Its perhaps the only 'flashy' feature of an otherwise 'normal' car.
Old 16th April 2021, 14:26   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

It really depends on the car. I own a VW Jetta and to say that the rear ac vents are useless would be an understatement. They only manage to blow out a whisp of air even when the front blower is set to speed 3 or 4 and contribute little to overall cooling especially when ambient temps cross 35. On cooler days, they do help but again, not by much. My guess is this bias is more suitable for European climates.

I would much rather prefer an independent blower (was available on the Nexon earlier but has been deleted now). The advantage of a rear blower as the name suggests is that you can adjust the amount of air coming out of the rear ac vent and there's more than adequate amount of it that makes its way to the rear.

The disadvantage is that most of the rear blowers have their intakes placed towards the front of the cabin (Nissan Sunny is an example). Until and unless the cabin cools sufficiently, the rear blower will keep throwing out hot air by sucking it from the front. Most MPVs have an independent coil for the rear blower but sedans (Sunny) and compact SUVs (earlier Nexons) don't.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 14:28   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
So do the rear Air Vents (Not separate rear Air Con), help in keeping the rear cool?
For the the first 10-15 mins and especially when the car's cabin is hot, yes they make a difference. They help recirculate the air and cool down the car quickly. They also provide instant relief for the passengers in the rear seat.
However once the cabin is cool (and remains cool), I don't mind if you remove the front vents as well
Old 16th April 2021, 14:30   #248

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

A friend of mine has a grand i10 at home.
When they bought a new top end Maruti Vitara Brazza, first thing they noticed while n the rear seat is missing air vents.

So I think, once you have experienced the slightly airier cabin, there is no turning back.
Old 12th January 2024, 21:09   #249
BHPian

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

Hi. I am considering the Prestige and Prestige Plus variants of Kia Carens and one of the useful features in Prestige Plus is Auto AC. I was wondering if there are any drawbacks other than convenience with manual ACs. Like, will the compressor wear out faster? Is the compressor different?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks