Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 02:19   #211
BANNED

Is your climate control dumb? And in cabin pollution.

This thread is about cars equipped with automatic climate control.
My question to you? Is it dumb? Does it cause fumes inside? Does it fog your windows?

I'll explain with the cars I own.

1. VW Polo GT TSI & Ameo DSG Highline

Super smart climate control.
Keeps AC on permanently and does not revert to fresh air mode.

2. Hyundai Creta AT facelift petrol top end

Absolutely rubbish AC.
Auto mode turns ac off at higher temperatures causing humidity and fogging up. DUMB AUTO.

Automatically forces switch to fresh air mode.

I would like any recommendations to force ac and recirculate on in the creta.

Would like to know what cars follow what procedure for their auto modes.

Secondly, if anyone has used an aqi monitor and successfully attained <50 levels do share.
I have a car air purifier CADR 25 and a HEPA cabin filter yet the purifier turns red when the car is stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Surprisingly once traffic cleared up I opened the windows for 10 seconds and it turned yellow. How was it that outside air was better? Would fresh air mode help and what causes this behavior only in traffic. Somehow car is sucking in fumes I guess.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 09:54   #212
BHPian

Solving AC Problems

With the summer already hitting us in full swing, I need to get my car's AC prepared for regular commutes through this scorching heat.

I own a Hyundai Santro Xing 2004 and have retrofitted a CNG kit for the same. Off late, I have been experiencing a problem with the AC as follows:

1. Cooling drops after a point of time and engine temperature soars high above the mid level mark. I have checked the Fan and it seems to start as required whenever I switch on the AC
2. Coolant levels go down drastically as I use the AC, while driving the car normally there is no impact on coolant level.

I did show this to the mechanic but he deemed it to not be a problem as the fan is running as it should. Few questions now:

1. Will an AC service help? Recently I had taken it to a renowned service center and was told AC temp is fine and doesn't need gas change or additional servicing.
2. The engine oil is a bit black and sluggish, would this have an impact on the heating up of the engine only when I use the AC?
3. I use a coolant which involves mixture with water (1/4 coolant and 3/4 water). Should I be changing the same?
4. Do I need to add coolant to the radiator? For now I've just added water to it. will a Radiator flush and refill help in any way?

I have tried to list down all the possible checks that I could carry out and hence need help from the forum. I do not want to be going to a mechanic just to get ripped off.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th March 2019, 10:00   #213
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solving AC Problems

Hi,

Hope these 2 threads might have some pointers for you:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...enance-17.html (Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ditioners.html (Understanding Car Air-Conditioners)

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th March 2019, 10:05   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay.Hemmady View Post
With the summer already hitting us in full swing, I need to get my car's AC prepared for regular commutes through this scorching heat.

I own a Hyundai Santro Xing 2004 and have retrofitted a CNG kit for the same. Off late, I have been experiencing a problem with the AC as follows:

1. Cooling drops after a point of time and engine temperature soars high above the mid level mark. I have checked the Fan and it seems to start as required whenever I switch on the AC
2. Coolant levels go down drastically as I use the AC, while driving the car normally there is no impact on coolant level.

I did show this to the mechanic but he deemed it to not be a problem as the fan is running as it should. Few questions now:

1. Will an AC service help? Recently I had taken it to a renowned service center and was told AC temp is fine and doesn't need gas change or additional servicing.
2. The engine oil is a bit black and sluggish, would this have an impact on the heating up of the engine only when I use the AC?
3. I use a coolant which involves mixture with water (1/4 coolant and 3/4 water). Should I be changing the same?
4. Do I need to add coolant to the radiator? For now I've just added water to it. will a Radiator flush and refill help in any way?

I have tried to list down all the possible checks that I could carry out and hence need help from the forum. I do not want to be going to a mechanic just to get ripped off.

Thanks in advance

If you have not changed the coolant in a couple of years, get it changed. Use Liqui Moly radiator flush before you drain the old coolant.

AC cooling can get low for multitude of reasons from a faulty thermostat, clogged evaporator coil , low refrigerant(gas) or a combination of these issues. If you have not got the evaporator coil cleaned even once since you bought the car, that should be the first thing you should get done. It is pretty extensive cleaning wherein the dashboard may need to be removed to get access to evaporator coil which is then thoroughly cleaned with soap water to remove all the dirt and grime that are clogged the coil. This process will also involve recharging the AC gas.

Engine oil does not have any effect on AC cooling.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 10:25   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If you have not changed the coolant in a couple of years, get it changed. Use Liqui Moly radiator flush before you drain the old coolant.

AC cooling can get low for multitude of reasons from a faulty thermostat, clogged evaporator coil , low refrigerant(gas) or a combination of these issues. If you have not got the evaporator coil cleaned even once since you bought the car, that should be the first thing you should get done. It is pretty extensive cleaning wherein the dashboard may need to be removed to get access to evaporator coil which is then thoroughly cleaned with soap water to remove all the dirt and grime that are clogged the coil. This process will also involve recharging the AC gas.

Engine oil does not have any effect on AC cooling.

Thank you for the info. However, the car heating more than usual on using the AC could be due to what reason?
Old 26th March 2019, 11:50   #216
Senior - BHPian

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

@Akshay.Hemmady
Your car is overheating with the Ac on, at a particular temperature the Ac compressor is designed to switch off. This is why the cooling stops.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 13:52   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the info. However, the car heating more than usual on using the AC could be due to what reason?
Could be a problem with the cooling system, viz, radiator, AC condenser, radiator fan.
Old 26th March 2019, 14:39   #218
BHPian

Quote:
These two points itself have shown the main problem and it's that your car is over heating prematurely which shouldn't be happening whether Ac is on or off. As a result your coolant gets overflowed and hence levels go down as over heating is causing it to spew out.

So that means the problem is with your cars cooling system and not the Ac. So you have to get that checked.

For possible causes and remedy please check my post in the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4564614

All the best.

Last edited by pixantz : 26th March 2019 at 14:42.
Old 26th March 2019, 17:10   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
These two points itself have shown the main problem and it's that your car is over heating prematurely which shouldn't be happening whether Ac is on or off. As a result your coolant gets overflowed and hence levels go down as over heating is causing it to spew out.

So that means the problem is with your cars cooling system and not the Ac. So you have to get that checked.

For possible causes and remedy please check my post in the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4564614

All the best.
The car overheats only on switching on the AC, not during normal running. Fans working as expected as per mechanic's opinion
Old 27th March 2019, 07:25   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
Your car's cooling system isn't able to take the additional heat load with the AC in operation.

This points to shortcomings in the car's cooling system.

1. Check the level in the radiator.
2. Check the condition and working of the radiator cap. Replace if you find the rubber seat stretched/expanded.
3. Check the condition of the water pump elbow, and radiator inlet .If you find too much scaling, you'll need a cooling system flush.
4.Check the water pump itself.Replace if its internals are pitted.
5. Coolant - should be a mix of Coolant: Water : : 1:3
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 08:44   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think you have a problem with the head gasket, and only on load (When AC is ON) it shows up. Please ask the mechanic to check the engine health, head gasket and also, get the entire cooling system of the engine checked.

If the AC is cooling normally when the engine is cold, there is no problem with the AC.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 09:09   #222
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Blown head gasket I think. Please get checked and replaced if required.

You could also try some sealant compound as a temporary measure. Example " BAR'S LEAKS 1111 Block Seal Head Gasket Fix"

But labor is cheap, so might be cheaper to just replace it. Don't let it get worse, it will damage the engine block (warping).

Last edited by mvadg : 27th March 2019 at 09:11.
Old 1st October 2019, 19:23   #223
Senior - BHPian

I have a Honda Mobilio RS 2015 model. About a year back the service center did an unsolicited AC cleaning for which they charged Rs. 3000/-. Immediately after this I noticed a reduction in the performance of AC cooling. On checking back with them they said AC gas has to be topped up and same was done. But there was no improvement. This service for the same complaint, they checked with a camera and have said that the Evaporator coil? is blocked. The dashboard has to be removed for inspection which will cost Rs. 5000/- and then any repairs will be extra. They are very sure that the clogging is not connected to the foam cleaning that they did previously, but I'm not convinced. Can anyone suggest what to do?
Old 9th December 2019, 07:55   #224

Hey!

My Linea T-Jet has an issue with it's AC.

The AC cools well when initially turned on and runs well for a while (20-25 minutes when it's hot outside, 40-45 minutes). After this, the cooling reduces and stops. After another 20-25 minutes, the AC starts cooling again, but for a reduced amount of time, before it stops cooling again. (5 minutes or so)

I've taken the car to FIAT who claim there is no problem each time I take it to them. So, I took it to an AC shop. They said the compressor would have to removed from the car and checked. In the process of doing this, they found black oil from the compressor, which they said would mean that the compressor, evaporator and cooling coil would need to be changed. (45k for all the parts at the shop).

I got the car pre-owned and when I went through the service history I can see that the compressor was changed around 2 years back. I'm not sure what the complaint of the previous owner was.

My worry would be changing the compressor again only to have the new one conk out too. Could there be some other underlying issue causing this?
Old 9th December 2019, 10:40   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjt96 View Post
I got the car pre-owned and when I went through the service history I can see that the compressor was changed around 2 years back. I'm not sure what the complaint of the previous owner was.
Looks like only the evaporator was changed earlier and not the compressor after checking with the FIAT service center.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks