Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 13:46   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I was thinking of getting a full service done on the AC and get an opinion on the compressor. Any recommendations for a good AC mechanic in Chennai - I mean other than Suresh, I have seen the thread about his place.

Thanks in advance
This guy is good and I've used him for my Scorpio. On North Usman Road. I've since driven past his tiny shop and seen him working on a S Class and a Lexus SUV.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...r-chennai.html (A/C mechanic - S.Jagannathan Auto Air conditioner (T Nagar, Chennai))
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:56   #242
BHPian

I own a Swift (P) , 2008 .
6 months ago , the Ac started to throw normal air. Showed it to a neighbour Ac mechanic. He said there is some leak in the pipes and gas leaked. He refilled the gas and closed the pipes.
The Ac ran good for 4 months and again, it stopped working.
I took it to Maruti ASS . My Service Advisor said the Cooling Core went kaput and needs replacement and informed the cost would be around 10K

Meanwhile, one of my father's friends knew a Mechanic and we took the car to him. He said the same ( Cooling core) but the estimate he told was half of it .

My uncle says he is reliable. He informed procuring the coil would take some time and he said filling the gas would make the Ac work for a couple of months or so though I said I would wait.

Does the Swift Cooling core cost 10 k in the MASS ?
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:44   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
I own a Swift (P) , 2008 .
6 months ago , the Ac started to throw normal air. Showed it to a neighbour Ac mechanic. He said there is some leak in the pipes and gas leaked. He refilled the gas and closed the pipes.
We are also facing a similar issue in Swift (P) 2006 model. We filled gas and it just worked fine for a couple of weeks. It is sure that the gas is leaking out and it's leaking fast.

MASS is suggesting to replace both AC Condenser (6K) and also compressor (18K). Since AC worked fine after filling gas, my guess is that compressor should be fine. The leakage is probably in the condenser and/or pipes. Since its already 12+ years old, we are planning to replace only the condenser.

Any suggestions from experts here please?
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:27   #244
BANNED

Quote:
The Ac ran good for 4 months and again, it stopped working.
I took it to Maruti ASS . My Service Advisor said the Cooling Core went kaput and needs replacement and informed the cost would be around 10K

Meanwhile, one of my father's friends knew a Mechanic and we took the car to him. He said the same ( Cooling core) but the estimate he told was half of it .
This cost ratio is pretty normal. If the 'fix' does not work then you still blame the garage/xASS and expect them to fix it for free. On the other hand the local is not made responsible. Further, there are margins etc. So the 2x is pretty normal.
Old 25th November 2018, 09:31   #245
BHPian

The Mechanic from the FNG procured the Cooling Core , gave us a call.
We took the car and he asked us a time of 2 hours to fix it and started to open the dashboard in front of us which made me worried about how perfect would It be refitted back.

After a couple of hours, as we took the car out, I was surprised to see the work. There was no clue that dashboard was open and no grease marks around.

He charged 5200/-

Part- 2400
Service- 2600
Misc- 200

The Ac seems fine and I hear no rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
MASS is suggesting to replace both AC Condenser (6K) and also compressor (18K). Since AC worked fine after filling gas, my guess is that compressor should be fine. The leakage is probably in the condenser and/or pipes. Since its already 12+ years old, we are planning to replace only the condenser.

Any suggestions from experts here please?
My SA said if Compressor has gone kaput, the Ac would make noise and wont throw out air ( and I think he is knowledgeable guy ) . Other experts may comment.

But I guess since Ac I working fine after gas fill , it may not be the compressor issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This cost ratio is pretty normal. If the 'fix' does not work then you still blame the garage/xASS and expect them to fix it for free. On the other hand the local is not made responsible. Further, there are margins etc. So the 2x is pretty normal.

Yes sir, I understand when I looked at the numbers.
The guy who did the job said his charges would be around 3300 when he does the same job in MASS.

So, I could guesstimate the other numbers and 10k would be an easy number.
Old 25th November 2018, 09:37   #246
BHPian

Quote:
My SA said if Compressor has gone kaput, the Ac would make noise and wont throw out air ( and I think he is knowledgeable guy ) . Other experts may comment.
I guess you mistook blower motor for A/C compressor. These are the symptoms of bad blower motor.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2018, 09:48   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I guess you mistook blower motor for A/C compressor. These are the symptoms of bad blower motor.
Ok

How much would that be to replace ?

Is that as serious as the compressor issue ?

AFAIK, the compressor is a pretty big burden !
Old 25th November 2018, 09:50   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Ok

How much would that be to replace ?

Is that as serious as problem as the compressor ?
Blower motors are much cheaper than compressors! But are you facing the issues that SA mentioned? Otherwise there is no need to replace the blower motor.
Old 25th November 2018, 12:37   #249
BHPian

Quote:
My SA said if Compressor has gone kaput, the Ac would make noise and wont throw out air
I think either you mistook the SA guy, or didn't hear him out properly or then mistook what he said. What I think the SA said/meant was that if the compressor has gone, the ac won't throw out COLD air. Not "won't throw out any air at all." I'm sure he didn't say that. This is a common point of misunderstanding in these cases. There's a huge difference in not throwing out any air at all and throwing out air but uncooled warm air, and the culprits, remedies and situations are vastly different in both cases.

No air at all point to the blower while air but not-cooled air could mean the compressor, among a ton of other things/components malfunctioning either independently or together.
Mostly its the cooling coil or evaporator core these days. But it could be others too.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 15:58   #250
BHPian

OK, here I am again with the question regarding my Santro's AC.
This is observed while doing long highway trips. While starting the trip, AC performs quite well.
5-6 hours into the journey (typically when I'm close to my destination), the cooling drops considerably.

I've observed this a couple of times till now.

Another problem is: whenever I park the car in the direct sunlight and it gets hot, the AC simply refuses to cool no matter what blower setting I choose.
Last year when I serviced the AC, the mechanic said the gas is at correct level.

What could be the issue for both these cases?
Old 25th March 2019, 17:13   #251
Senior - BHPian

Bad temperature sensor? Or cooling efficiency reduced due to a clogged AC filter and dirty cooling coil? Or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Another problem is: whenever I park the car in the direct sunlight and it gets hot, the AC simply refuses to cool no matter what blower setting I choose.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 17:20   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Bad temperature sensor?
I'm not very sure if Santro has temperature sensor.
Quote:
Or cooling efficiency reduced due to a clogged AC filter and dirty cooling coil? Or both?
If that was the case, cooling should be poor before I parked it in the sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That'd be if it were entirely clogged. If it were just dirty but functional you'd notice a loss in cooling efficiency - which would be more obvious as the AC tries to keep up with the hot sun.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Check your car's thermostat if you have one - and are coolant levels ok in your car?
I'll get these checked. The car's due for service anyway.

Thanks for your inputs, Suresh!

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 25th March 2019 at 17:41. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 25th March 2019, 17:22   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not very sure if Santro has temperature sensor.
If that was the case, cooling should be poor before I parked it in the sun.
That'd be if it were entirely clogged. If it were just dirty but functional you'd notice a loss in cooling efficiency - which would be more obvious as the AC tries to keep up with the hot sun.

Check your car's thermostat if you have one - and are coolant levels ok in your car?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 23:33   #254
BHPian

Quote:
OK, here I am again with the question regarding my Santro's AC.
This is observed while doing long highway trips. While starting the trip, AC performs quite well.
5-6 hours into the journey (typically when I'm close to my destination), the cooling drops considerably.

I've observed this a couple of times till now.

Last year when I serviced the AC, the mechanic said the gas is at correct level.

What could be the issue for both these cases?
OK, here's what I suspect.

Firstly about the drop in cooling after 5-6 hours, I think if a properly working Ac stops properly cooling when the car has run for a considerable time that most probably points to the fact that, at that point of performance drop, your car ecm is cutting of the Ac and the only reason it would do that is that your car engine is overheating at that point. The first precaution the car takes on engine overheat situation is shutting off the Ac. It won't let the Ac turn on again until your engine is at safe temperature levels. So the problem is possibly with the cars engine cooling system/s. Not the Ac.

Now considering the above possibility, you have to diagnose why the car is over-heating at 5-6 hour intervals. The reasons could be various, like for example:
1) Internally clogged and dirty radiator, thermostat valve, pipes, etc., and/or dirty/old and ineffective coolant.
2) Faulty water pump which doesn't work properly when heated up after running for couple of hours.
3) radiator and condenser externally clogged with dirt.
4) weak Ac compressor.
5) faulty head gasket (least likely, hard to diagnose with present type of symptoms and should be dealt with if all other repair doesn't have results).
6) Faulty coolant temperature sensor.

Things you can do for repair is, pressure wash the condenser and radiator externally with water and check if any foreign material is stuck between or on top of them. Clean/replace the radiator, check and replace water pump if need be, clean out the cooling system with pressurized water after removing the coolant thermostat at a service center. Never put in the same thermostat back if it's dirty and cloggy. Check the pumping of the Ac compressor. Replace radiator coolant temperature sensor.

About the second problem, I personally think that the Santro's Ac is not as powerful as most other small cars like the i10, Jazz, Brio, Etios, Beat, etc especially if you're talking about cooling rate of the car parked in the sun. Anyway, you're not supposed to directly turn on the Ac of a car parked in direct sun and rely on the Ac alone to cool the car fast. Least for a small car like the Santro. You should ideally open all the windows and wait for a minute or two for the hot air to go out and it will take at least ten minutes for the whole superheated interiors like plastics, rexine, etc to totally cool down because they have literally soaked up the heat. Putting the Ac on in these situations with the windows up puts tremendous load on your Ac compressor and also guzzles up a lot of extra fuel for that which could be easily avoided just by using some free ambient air. It's a good habit. For your car and your pocket. Also definatley get that compressor checked for pumping and performance.

All the best. Hope this helps.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 10:08   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
OK, here's what I suspect.

Firstly about the drop in cooling after 5-6 hours, I think if a properly working Ac stops properly cooling when the car has run for a considerable time that most probably points to the fact that, at that point of performance drop, your car ecm is cutting of the Ac and the only reason it would do that is that your car engine is overheating at that point. The first precaution the car takes on engine overheat situation is shutting off the Ac. It won't let the Ac turn on again until your engine is at safe temperature levels. So the problem is possibly with the cars engine cooling system/s. Not the Ac.
The radiator has been replaced just a year back, so we can rule that out. Also, the engine did never overheat.

Quote:
<snip>
4) weak Ac compressor.
5) faulty head gasket (least likely, hard to diagnose with present type of symptoms and should be dealt with if all other repair doesn't have results).
6) Faulty coolant temperature sensor.
Faulty coolant temperature sensor sounds related. My car also has this habit of cutting the AC off every now and then. I was anyway looking for a reason for that behavior, and no mechanic gave me satisfactory reason/diagnosis till now.

Quote:
About the second problem, I personally think that the Santro's Ac is not as powerful as most other small cars like the i10, Jazz, Brio, Etios, Beat, etc especially if you're talking about cooling rate of the car parked in the sun. Anyway, you're not supposed to directly turn on the Ac of a car parked in direct sun and rely on the Ac alone to cool the car fast. Least for a small car like the Santro. You should ideally open all the windows and wait for a minute or two for the hot air to go out and it will take at least ten minutes for the whole superheated interiors like plastics, rexine, etc to totally cool down because they have literally soaked up the heat. Putting the Ac on in these situations with the windows up puts tremendous load on your Ac compressor and also guzzles up a lot of extra fuel for that which could be easily avoided just by using some free ambient air. It's a good habit. For your car and your pocket. Also definatley get that compressor checked for pumping and performance.

All the best. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks