Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 10:28   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
I have a 2011 Jetta Tdi AT. It's done around 40K Km. For the past week, the ac has almost stopped cooling. It lets in just about luke warm air. The blowers work fine and the thermostat turned to heating throws great hot air. but no cold air at all. Any suggestions before I take the car to VW service and end up selling a kidney for repair?
Well, it's time for the annual AC service. Get it checked up/serviced at either FNG or ASS. If you're lucky you would be good to go after a quick cabin-filter clean-up/replace and refrigerant top-up. If it's more complicated then a more thorough diagnosis would be warranted.

If you're not so lucky then Jettas and Skoda's had chronic compressor failure issues which you should be aware of. All the best.
Old 31st March 2017, 22:33   #137
BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
I have a 2011 Jetta Tdi AT. It's done around 40K Km. For the past week, the ac has almost stopped cooling. It lets in just about luke warm air. The blowers work fine and the thermostat turned to heating throws great hot air. but no cold air at all. Any suggestions before I take the car to VW service and end up selling a kidney for repair?
Please go to a FNG first.

I had the same issue in my Civic. My garage told me after checking that a tube was leaking badly, I do not remember which one.

They changed it for around 3000/- and the ac started working like a charm.

HONDA A.S.S would have asked me to deposit one kidney before they touch my car.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:15   #138
BHPian

Well, I had this "AC Not Cooling / Blower giving out less air flow" issue in my 35K / 3 year old Ecosport TDCi. I decided to get it checked at the A.S.S and while at it, got the 40K servicing done as well.

Turns out, the pollen filter / AC filter was completely chocked. I have the old filter with me and a slight tap on it throws out a lot of black particulate matter. Along with this, the Service Center guys topped up the AC gas as well. Though I highly doubt the same.

Now the Air flow from vents has been restored back to it original condition and the cooling is good as well.

The cost of pollen filter was Rs.800/- (some 78x figure). I was not charged for the AC Gas top up though.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Please go to a FNG first.

I had the same issue in my Civic. My garage told me after checking that a tube was leaking badly, I do not remember which one.

They changed it for around 3000/- and the ac started working like a charm.

HONDA A.S.S would have asked me to deposit one kidney before they touch my car.
This tube was changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-ac-pipe.jpg  

Old 10th April 2017, 22:27   #140
BHPian

Yesterday evening, I found the A/C compressor oil was leaking from my 2014 Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi. The oil was greenish in color. Also I heard a faint hissing sound, like air leaking out from one of the tires. Upon inspecting under the car, I found that the leak was at the inlet tube to the compressor. I suspect it was the A/C refrigerant R134a that was leaking.

Seems that there is some brazing done already, which is where the hissing sound came from. May be the brazing has come off. Or, is there an oil seal there, which is worn out ?

Today morning, the oil leak as well as the hissing sound have stopped. I think the refrigerant and compressor oil have drained out completely.

Drove to office and back without switching on the air conditioner. Planning to take my car to the authorized service center tomorrow.

Have a few questions. Seeking expert opinion and guidance of fellow BHPians.

1) How much will it cost to repair it i.e plug the leak ?
2) Is is advisable to replace the tubing instead of plugging the leak ?
3) How much would a fresh charge of R134a refrigerant (0.5 +/- 0.02 Kg) cost ?
4) How much would the compressor oil WSH-M1C231-B (I believe it is Poly alkylene Glycol) cost ?

Attaching the pictures taken from underneath the car.

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170409_160212.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170409_160325.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170409_161230.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170409_161530.jpg

You can hear the hissing sound, in the video.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 10th April 2017 at 22:29. Reason: punctuation added
Old 12th April 2017, 18:39   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Have a few questions. Seeking expert opinion and guidance of fellow BHPians.
1) How much will it cost to repair it i.e plug the leak ?
2) Is is advisable to replace the tubing instead of plugging the leak ?
3) How much would a fresh charge of R134a refrigerant (0.5 +/- 0.02 Kg) cost ?
4) How much would the compressor oil WSH-M1C231-B (I believe it is Poly alkylene Glycol) cost ?
Took the car to the service center [Lakshmi Ford, Tanjore] yesterday.

Upon raising the car on scissor lift and inspecting underneath the car, he pointed that the low pressure hose which connects the expansion valve to the compressor, has taken a hit at its lowest point. It was scored at a couple of places too.

The SA recommended replacement of the hose line, which costs about Rs.3500. Spoke to the Service Manger, who agreed to get it replaced under extended warranty, and I have to pay for refilling the Refrigerant R134a and topping up of compressor oil, only. I think, I would have to shell out less than Rs. 2000 for the same.

A couple of weeks back, I misjudged the height of a sand hump, while parallel parking by the side of a gutter, resulting in a slight brushing of the underbelly. I inspected underneath and everything was fine. I suspect at that time, the hose line could have got scored and bent . The Figo has its A/C compressor and the inlet and outlet lines pretty low. To be extra careful, from now on.

Awaiting for the arrival of the hose line from Chennai.

Attaching a schematic, showing the hose that is to be replaced, for reference.

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-autoairconditionservice.jpg

Cheers ! Love and Live to Drive !!
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 20:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
A couple of weeks back, I misjudged the height of a sand hump, while parallel parking by the side of a gutter, resulting in a slight brushing of the underbelly. I inspected underneath and everything was fine. I suspect at that time, the hose line could have got scored and bent . The Figo has its A/C compressor and the inlet and outlet lines pretty low. To be extra careful, from now on.
That leak doesn't seem to have been caused by a "sand hump" as you suspect. Firstly because, at least going by the photos, the said pipe is not that low as to get scraped by a hump. Because to do that the hump would have to reach past the radiator bracket/radiator on one side and the silencer and compressor on the other and then even touch the pipe.

Further as the video shows, the leak is in the frontal position and seems to have happened due to the pipe grazing against the fan plastic. Ideally there has to be a gap which doesn't seem to be there presently. Maybe a small frontal nick or something pushed back the radiator and fan just a bit and the pipe and that black plastic started rubbing against each other resulting in the fiasco. It can happen when parking also if you misjudgement a stone or something and push the car into it and the lower bumper pushed these guys a bit in. Just my two cents.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 21:57   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Further as the video shows, the leak is in the frontal position and seems to have happened due to the pipe grazing against the fan plastic. Ideally there has to be a gap which doesn't seem to be there presently.
Thanks for the expert opinion pixantz.You have pointed out a very important thing for me.

The fan housing plastic should not be touching the hose right? But now I remember, when I was inspecting the under belly to find the source of compressor oil leak, I tried pushing up the fan housing with my finger, and the entire assembly moved up, like it was pivoted at one corner only. It should not be like that, I suppose.

I now suspect that the bolt or plastic lug which is supposed to hold the fan housing should have come off on one side, resulting in the fan housing plastic resting against the compressor inlet hose. This should have happened a while before. Over time the plastic would have punctured the hose.

Will take up with the Service Manager, first thing tomorrow morning.

There was no frontal hit and I don't scarpe the underbelly often, and at the rare times that I do, I keep blaming myself hard

Thanks again for the response and patiently going through the photos and video.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:18   #144
BHPian

Got the compressor inlet hose changed. Mouting of the radiator fan housing also corrected, and it is now intact.Refilled refrigerant R134a and compressor oil. The Figo's A/C is a bone chiller as ever !

Cost about Rs.2000 for R134a and compressor oil. compressor inlet hose costing about Rs.3000, was covered under warranty.

There is sufficient clearance between the fan house plastic and the hose. No rubbing whatsoever.

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170418_194607.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170418_195130.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170418_195225.jpg

Cheers! Love and Live to Drive !!
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:55   #145
BHPian

Hi people, I have a Ford Fiesta. Since about a year, the AC has been very week. It functions alright when the temperature is not too warm outside, but on a warm sunny day, it barely works. Just enough so that you don't get roasted. Since the last two servicings Ford Service Centre told me that everything is OK, that they topped up the gas (they deliver the car in the evening, and at that time it looks fine). So I went last week again (servicing was done about 3 weeks ago) and they checked the AC and told me after 2 hours that its something wrong with the evaporator and hose, and they have to be replaced. Also that this happens with Fiesta and I think Figo; and it was find during the last service (3 weeks ago). Thing is, I got the evaporator replaced less than 2 years ago. And if it was fine 3 weeks ago, it definitely is not the evaporator because it still works how it used to work before the last servicing.

Questions:
1. Any good AC servicing places around Indiranagar?
2. Any ideas / theories as to what the problem is?

Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:02   #146
Senior - BHPian

The blower makes noise I guess but no cool air comes in? There's a temperature regulator / sensor called a thermistor, have them check that.

Also check and if needed replace the cabin air filter, get the evaporator / cooling coil surface cleaned of dust and dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
Hi people, I have a Ford Fiesta. Since about a year, the AC has been very week. It functions alright when the temperature is not too warm outside, but on a warm sunny day, it barely works. Just enough so that you don't get roasted. Since the last two servicings Ford Service Centre told me that everything is OK, that they topped up the gas (they deliver the car in the evening, and at that time it looks fine). So I went last week again (servicing was done about 3 weeks ago) and they checked the AC and told me after 2 hours that its something wrong with the evaporator and hose, and they have to be replaced. Also that this happens with Fiesta and I think Figo; and it was find during the last service (3 weeks ago). Thing is, I got the evaporator replaced less than 2 years ago. And if it was fine 3 weeks ago, it definitely is not the evaporator because it still works how it used to work before the last servicing.

Questions:
1. Any good AC servicing places around Indiranagar?
2. Any ideas / theories as to what the problem is?

Thanks
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:23   #147
BHPian

Cool air comes at night and when its cool. I mean it does have some cooling, but its really inadequate when the temperature is hot outside. It does make it enough for a long drive, but when out to a hotter place like Salem or Coimbatore during noon time, it isn't adequate at all. Its a real problem for the rear passengers. I will get the sensor / thermistor checked, thanks. I get the air filter changed regularly (I believe it was done during the last service too, I will double check). The evaporator was cleaned too. Will ask them to check the cooling coil.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The blower makes noise I guess but no cool air comes in? There's a temperature regulator / sensor called a thermistor, have them check that.

Also check and if needed replace the cabin air filter, get the evaporator / cooling coil surface cleaned of dust and dirt.
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
Hi people, I have a Ford Fiesta. Since about a year, the AC has been very week. It functions alright when the temperature is not too warm outside, but on a warm sunny day, it barely works. Just enough so that you don't get roasted. Since the last two servicings Ford Service Centre told me that everything is OK, that they topped up the gas (they deliver the car in the evening, and at that time it looks fine).
If it's the type-1 Fiesta then these cars had an issue with a certain pipe/hose carrying refrigerant somewhere near the evaporator, not sure where. It is mentioned in some Ac forum or Fiesta forum. Apparently some ASS in Chennai took the customer for a royal ride and had him replace the evaporator 2-3 times each time within couple of months until he woke up and smelt the coffee .

They had charged him about 7k for the evaporator alone each time. Go to a competent FNG and have it looked into.

What is happening in your case is that the gas leaks out very slowly over a period of weeks and stays at a very low level hence giving out negligible cooling. Topping up the refrigerant gives a temporary fix and after time you're back to square one.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:25   #149
BANNED

The compressor of my Brio packed up with under 30,000 on the clock. I got it checked by a highly reputed mechanic and he confirmed the diagnosis of Honda. He put a gauger on the 'high' side and showed me that the pressure was low. Gas was full.

The Compressor is a Sanden, R134a, STR06 with another marking 97. I guess it is STR06 with a 97cc capacity. Seems Honda uses quite a few types of ACs. Now I am trying to get a replacement through a friendly spares dealer. The Delhi chaps wanted a photograph and I have requested my friend to try and do with this since a pic is impossible (no space).
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:37   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The Delhi chaps wanted a photograph and I have requested my friend to try and do with this since a pic is impossible (no space).
If you remove the front bumper you could get a clear view. If it's important enough for you, that is. It's the only way to get access to the comp. Even for any job to be done on it. You can give it a thought.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks