Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:51   #151
BANNED

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

@pixantz; The Brio (like most Honda's) is a rats nest. My friend has not come back to me. Once the full info from the compressor plate is there then a pic or not should not really matter. One interesting thing I found out (the mechanic also told me that) one of the hoses from the compressor (turns out to be discharge) attaches to the bottom.
Old 27th May 2017, 13:39   #152
BHPian

It has been just a month after the A/C Compressor inlet hose of my 2014 Ford Figo TDCi was replaced Link to the post, due to a small puncture near the hose coupling, which led to leaking of the refrigerant. Now a couple of days back, I took out the car as usual in the morning, switched on the A/C and you guessed it right, there was no cooling at all. The blower fan was spinning, but there was no cool air, only hot air was being blown.

Took the car to the authorized service center M/S Lakshmi Ford, Thanjavur. Met the Service Manager Mr. R. Pandiyarajan, with whom I have a good rapport, owing to his sound technical knowledge and practical experience. Also he is a great fan of Team-BHP and has a lot of respect for the community. He immediately assigned a technician to look in to the issue. A failed/leaking evaporator coil was the suspect. Since my car is under extended warranty the Service Manager told that the evaporator coil could be replaced under warranty, I would have to pay for the A/C refrigerant R134a refilling, compressor oil and labor.

Left the vehicle at the service center and left for the day. In the evening while I was browsing through related threads in Team BHP, I found this thread on evaporator coil failure in Fiesta and Figo. Seemed to be common problem with Fiestas and Figos. So made up my mind to get the evaporator coil replaced. Now here comes my worry. For replacing the evaporator coil, the entire Dashboard has to be dismantled. A tricky job, which if not done properly, will result in rattling and squeaking while driving. Sent my concerns about it to the Service Manager through Whatsapp, quoting the relevant Team-BHP thread. Gave some pointers on how I want the job to be carried out and what points to be taken care. He immediately called upon receiving the message and asked for an additional day’s time so that he could allot his expert A/C mechanic on the job. I agreed, fingers crossed.

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170526_185847.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170526_185901.jpg

Yesterday evening, went to take delivery of the vehicle, hoping and praying that factory fit and finish has not been spoiled. I must say I was in for a pleasant surprise. First thing on reaching the service center, I peered in to the cabin to look for any signs of the dashboard removal, blunt/bruised plastics, prying tool marks, any dirty grease marks etc. Nothing. The SA in charge made me sit in the cabin, switched on the A/C and wow! it was terrific, the cabin got cold in seconds. Paid the bill of Rs. 3136/- and took delivery of the car. Drove for about 50 Kilometers on different roads, not rattling or squeaking sounds whatsoever.Overall happy about the service done.

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-new-doc-20170527_2.jpg

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 27th May 2017 at 13:43.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:02   #153
BHPian

I am facing certain issues with the a/c in my 2014 grand i10 diesel. Since the last two months or so I have been noticing that after about half an hour to 45 minutes of usage of ac the force of the air from the ac vents gradually decreases to a very minimal air with reduced cooling. If I continue to use the ac in the same manner the ac comes back to normal in another 5-10 minutes or if I switch it off completely or by pressing the a/c button and just run the fan it comes back to normal in around 2 minutes. Over this period I have also noticed that as soon as I switch on the ac there is a faint noise that comes from the ac, something like "shhhhh" for about 5 seconds.

During this time I had taken the car for the regular service as per the maintenance schedule. The Hyundai service engineers were not able to come to a particular diagnosis or correction of the problem as per the description of the problem that I have been noticing. It is partially my fault too as I haven't been able to find time to give the car to Hyundai service centre as they told might have to keep the car in service centre for two days or more.

Anyone here as an idea regarding what this could be due to?
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:36   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazonater1911 View Post
Since the last two months or so I have been noticing that after about half an hour to 45 minutes of usage of ac the force of the air from the ac vents gradually decreases to a very minimal air with reduced cooling.
Does the fan blower speed reduces (throw of air becomes low) or only the cooling is reduced ?

From your post I assume that there is no problem with the blower. The cooling drop may be due to a realtively simple clogged or dirty A/C filter or a clogged evaporator coil or may be a little complex like a leak in the coil, one of the hoses or the condenser resulting in slow loss of refrigerant. Failed compressor clutch may also one of the reasons.

I am wondering why the Service center was unable to pin point the problem. Did they check the refrigerant gas pressure ?
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:34   #155
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing certain issues with the a/c in my 2014 grand i10 diesel.
Try taking your car to an independent AC technician, by the face of it, it looks like the refrigerant level in your AC system is low. I remember doing some research about a similar problem with my AC and reading about low refrigerant leading to the evaporator core or cooling coil freezing up. A frozen cooling coil blocks air from passing through it and hence you receive lesser air gradually as the coil freezes. The swishing sound u hear in your blower when you switch on the AC is the gas building up pressure but the sound is due to the low gas. Give it a check with your local AC guy and one more reason could be a faulty thermostat but its very unlikely for that to happen as you can clearly hear the swish sound. By the way its not a two day job, it takes barely 30 minutes to recharge the system. But if there are any leaks be prepared to leave the car with them for one full day to do a full leak test.
Cheers.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2017 at 19:35. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:35   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
Does the fan blower speed reduces (throw of air becomes low) or only the cooling is reduced ?
It's the fan blower speed that reduces. In my opinion the cooling remains the same. There is a definite hissing sound as soon as I start the ac which goes away after about 5 seconds.

The Hyundai service centre people have not really investigated the situation in my opinion.
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:48   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Try taking your car to an independent AC technician, by the face of it, it looks like the refrigerant level in your AC system is low. I remember doing some research about a similar problem with my AC and reading about low refrigerant leading to the evaporator core or cooling coil freezing up. A frozen cooling coil blocks air from passing through it and hence you receive lesser air gradually as the coil freezes. The swishing sound u hear in your blower when you switch on the AC is the gas building up pressure but the sound is due to the low gas. Give it a check with your local AC guy and one more reason could be a faulty thermostat but its very unlikely for that to happen as you can clearly hear the swish sound.
Cheers.
Talking about cooling coil freezing up I remembered one thing. About a month back while I was on a long drive (somewhere around Salem) I had stopped for lunch. This particular cycle of normal blower speed followed by reduced air flow and then back again to normal speed was observed during my entire trip. But then after I started the car after having lunch and I started the ac there were very small pieces of ice that just blasted out from the air con vents for about 5-6 seconds which soon melted (thanks to the heat in Salem at that time). Note that this issue had cropped up after about 4hours of air con usage with intermittent breaks of about 15-20mins.Seeing this ice blast I really had a gut feeling that it was some kind of a block within the ac coils( I really have no idea regarding the working of the ac, thats why the poor terminology) which was causing this particular issue. After the trip I had asked the Hyundai guys in Mysore to check it out but they were little hesitant to open up the AC and investigate. Seeing their hesitancy I just got the car back and I have'nt been using that much ac too as the climate here in Mysore is pretty good. So I had put this ac repair in the back seat for the time being.

Anyways I haven't noticed this ice blast issue after that and the ac is good enough for minimal city usage. The problem is more pronounced in long drives.
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:55   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@pixantz; The Brio (like most Honda's) is a rats nest. My friend has not come back to me. Once the full info from the compressor plate is there then a pic or not should not really matter. One interesting thing I found out (the mechanic also told me that) one of the hoses from the compressor (turns out to be discharge) attaches to the bottom.
The supplier in Delhi insisted on a photo. my AC service guy had a pic of his Brio compressor on the bench, so I got one from him, and sent it on. Then the whole thing got stuck in the GST changeover. I have been advised to also get a new expansion valve, and the condenser filter, which too have been ordered.

Now I hear it has arrived in Delhi, so Inshallah one of these days it may show up.
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:42   #159
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing certain issues with the a/c in my 2014 grand i10 diesel.

Anyone here as an idea regarding what this could be due to?
You most probably have a malfunctioning thermistor or what they also call thermostat. It regulates the cooling. When it fails, overcooling causes icing. Also, keeping the temp at 'Low' can cause this as it has the same effect, if I'm not mistaken.

Try keeping temp at 20-23 and observe under same conditions. If the same problem occurs, you need to fix that 'bug'.

Don't take the issue lightly. Prolonged use of ac with icing issues can blow you compressor. Which in turn can compromise the whole system and need a full new system. Costly that. So I would strongly suggest avoiding running the AC with this condition.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:37   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

I had gone to MASS for some work on my Wagon R and also got the annual service done. The AC was working perfectly fine nevertheless I asked them to clean the cabin air filter. I was shocked to see the state of the cabin filter. It was full of rat excreta and rendered useless. Thankfully rats had not nibbled through it and intruded the cabin. Then I realised that if the cabin air filter is missing in a Maruti (not sure about other brands), the rats can easily damage the AC blower and other parts and can even get into the cabin. Inspite of such sad state of filter, there was no smell inside the car. The cabin air filter was last replaced in April 2017 during AC service. I'll suggest everyone to keep an eye on this as it can lead to serious health issues.

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170829_112934.jpg

Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance-img_20170829_112903.jpg
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 22:24   #161
BHPian

I have a 2011 verito aka Logan diesel 1.5dci. AC was all fine till this summers in 2017.
The problem is opposite of what most cars have. AC just cools and cools - so much that we have to switch it off after some time. Even temperature control knob does not seem to have an impact. Mahindra ASS could not make out what could be the issue.
Filter is clean and so is the condenser. There is no problem in evaporator as blower speed does not drop. I saw that the grill temperature drops to almost 3C but compressor does not go off.
Any hints what could be the problem area ? And is there any good FNG in Gurgaon that is expert level on AC issues?

Also, I have noticed some periodic vibrations when idling with AC on. Though it is not happening always , but when it happens, it is very noticeable.
Old 9th September 2017, 17:38   #162
BHPian

Guys, I am facing cooling issues in my Ford Figo (2013). Almost never have I had to even push the fan speed to the second level for cooling, untill about 6 months back. Now when it's hot outside I almost have to push the speed to either three or even to max. And remember, the car is almost always parked in a basement.
It's cooling the cabin, just not fast or well enough. Any suggestions? The car is due for service in November, should I wait or go to FASS now?

Last edited by pratyush6 : 9th September 2017 at 17:39.
Old 9th September 2017, 19:30   #163
Senior - BHPian

Have you ever changed the cabin air filter? If not then check it. Probably filthy with dirt by now.
Old 11th September 2017, 19:10   #164
BHPian

You can also get the evaporator / cooling coil cleaned - if that can be done without opening up dashboard. Usually, FNGs do it for 500/- in delhi NCR using a mild soap-acid- water solution pumped through a small battery operated motor.
It is cheap and best option.
If you go for AC overhaul or cleaning at ASS, the charges can be pretty high. Not needed in your case
Old 10th October 2017, 13:05   #165
Senior - BHPian

I have a Chevrolet Beat and my AC cooling stopped. Got the AC checked and problem was piston in the compressor had cracked and all the fragments were spread across complete AC system. Got compressor, condenser, cooling coil and filter replaced along with complete cleaning of the AC system. Now I am facing a very strange problem. As soon as I start the car there is no cooling and fan also isn't working. But if I disconnect and connect the battery and start the car everything works absolutely fine with superb cooling. Again If I shut the car and restart the problem is back. So for every time to keep AC working I need to disconnect/connect the battery. I am unable to understand this strange problem. Even the AC repair guy is unable to solve this problem. Can some one help me solve this strange problem???

I got the job done at UNICOOL Car Aircon in Ghatkopar which is quite famous among TEAM Bhpites with some good reviews.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks