Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 12:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Did they at least check gas levels and clean the AC cooling coil? Substantial dust (and leaves, mud etc) will be on it after extended use and that will decrease cooling levels.
As clearly mentioned in my posts, the issue I am facing is not cooling but intensity of airflow from the blower.
Old 6th September 2016, 12:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
As clearly mentioned in my posts, the issue I am facing is not cooling but intensity of airflow from the blower.
Same issue that I faced on my amaze. Lack of "throw" from the blower. The reason was cooling coil being choked - and cleaning that out + the blower out fixed the issue.
Old 6th September 2016, 13:11   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Initial symptoms were the a/c air flow was erratic; used to stop without warning and used to start whenever the blower unit (located under the glove compartment) was tapped. Now there is no response.

Experts please advise.
The symptoms indicate a classic blower motor malfunction/failure case. In such cases replacement is the best option as it will eventually stop working completely
as it already seems to have. Imagine that happening in stiffling heat or heavy rain on some highway in the middle of nowhere. Not a good scene.

I recommend asking your VW or Skoda guys at the tech level if the blower motor unit used in any other of their models has an identical part used. This is common within the family on most brands and also across brands as the Ac unit is sometimes manufactured by the same companies. And they charge a heftier premium for the same part when it's labelled for a costlier car.

For example, a Ford Fiesta blower unit fits perfectly even in an XUV W8 though their individual prices are far apart. Most engine parts on an Innova and Fortuner are identical but cost vastly different in their respective packings.

So you might try this angle and see. An independant Ac garage should easily be able to do this job for you at roughly half the price or less from what Skoda quoted. And a good job. Not hanky panky .

Theres also Alibaba or ebay to try out.... All the best.

Quote:
Same issue that I faced on my amaze. Lack of "throw" from the blower. The reason was cooling coil being choked - and cleaning that out + the blower out fixed the issue.
Mr Hserus, your issue is different. As you can see in the part from his post which I have quoted in my reply, his problem is erratic working and stalling of the blower which is different from constant "lack of throw" from the blower as in your case.

Both are distinctly different symtoms arising due to different malfunctions/issues caused by problems at different parts of the Ac system. They have different remedies too. And he didn't have a cooling problem when the blower worked too, so gas/refrigerant issue also wouldn't be part of the diagnosis.

Happy cooling.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 14:11   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Why this issue? Are you running the unit of outside air most of the time, or is there no cabin filter installed? Very surprising. Amaze had the filter box which is sealed. What you can do is to get a filter from Amazon (Altec), then using a sharp knife cut the box open and insert it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...mobilio-3.html

Then close the flap with tape. I did the same on my Brio and was a cinch. Why Honda re not installing the filter (with a sealed off box). I found the box in my Civic but no filter, so bought and installed one there also.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th September 2016 at 14:14.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 14:29   #125
Senior - BHPian

I had to get the cooling coil cleaned out. It ran for a few months going back and forth on kutcha road shortcuts to whitefield in Bangalore, and on the mostly polluted Outer Ring Road and that might have helped.

Once the coil was cleaned and replaced, I had the mechanic install a cabin air filter in the method that you suggest - cutting open the dummied box and then sealing it back with tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Why this issue? Are you running the unit of outside air most of the time, or is there no cabin filter installed? Very surprising. Amaze had the filter box which is sealed. What you can do is to get a filter from Amazon (Altec), then using a sharp knife cut the box open and insert it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...mobilio-3.html

Then close the flap with tape. I did the same on my Brio and was a cinch. Why Honda re not installing the filter (with a sealed off box). I found the box in my Civic but no filter, so bought and installed one there also.
Old 7th September 2016, 08:11   #126
BANNED

@hserus; When I had a Zen I found the car overheating. Took it to my mechanic and he found a totally choked up condenser. A good clean with a pressure hose (used for washing during service) cleaned it up.
Old 7th September 2016, 10:09   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hserus; When I had a Zen I found the car overheating. Took it to my mechanic and he found a totally choked up condenser. A good clean with a pressure hose (used for washing during service) cleaned it up.
Yes .. that was needed. Honda ASS only vacuumed out the blower and left it at that. I had to go to a 3rd party AC mechanic (recommended in a tbhp thread on chennai aircon mechanics) who stripped the dashboard and did a more thorough job.

Unfortunately for me I let myself be conned into getting the cooling coil replaced instead of just cleaned - some random made in Thailand aftermarket part that seems ok, but still, oh well. The AC works fine now anyway, back to feeling like when it was brand new.
Old 7th September 2016, 13:02   #128
BANNED

@hserus; Please read my post again. I was talking of Condenser and NOT Evaporator. The cooling coil is the evaporator, since it is where the liquid refrigerant is converted to gas from liquid. It is the latent heat which leads to the cooling.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 13:20   #129
BHPian

Quote:
.....who stripped the dashboard and did a more thorough job.

Unfortunately for me I let myself be conned into getting the cooling coil replaced instead of just cleaned - some random made in Thailand aftermarket part that seems ok, but still, oh well. The AC works fine now anyway, back to feeling like when it was brand new.
Why did he strip the whole dashboard ? You never have to strip a Honda dash man! He must have charged you a lot for it. Honda's only need their blower assembly to be removed in order to access the evaporator core/ cooling coil. You don't need a dash removal for that. All the dirt and grime never gets past the coil so all you need is to clean that up. Along with wiping out the blower motor housing with damp cloth and blowing out the fins with pressure air.

Also, if you have let him keep the cooling coil which he removed from your car then you got not one but two people conned. One is you and the other is the guy who he will sell your coil to as new maybe. And that guy will have better cooling than you because it is the original part. Because from my experience, with most good brands like Honda, Ford, etc you will never get the original performance out of a spurious part. It may feel like it for a while but down the line you will get caught up in bad karma for treating your ride with a spurious part . Very few components allow you to get away with it, upto a certain degree. Thought it would help keeping that in mind. Always love your Honda.

From a fellow Honda lover.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 13:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

I kind of realize that. He charged me 2K totally for labor which sounds a touch excessive for simply pulling out the cooling coil + gas filling (for a two year old car??)

Stupid of me, but well - hot summer's day and I was in a hurry. Always a bad mistake.

Here's where I got it done by the way - Suresh Car AC

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2322995

Last edited by hserus : 7th September 2016 at 14:09.
Old 13th September 2016, 17:50   #131
Senior - BHPian

So I finally went to the Skoda Authorized Service Centre and explained my problem of erratic working of the a/c blower and they were convinced that the issue was a busted a/c blower motor. They did not have the part with them and on haggling with them a bit they decided to remove the blower motor and check. On removing the blower motor we found a crazy amount of dust which was not allowing the blower motor to move freely. So they had the blower motor and a/c filter cleaned with high pressure air and the a/c worked flawlessly after that. This was done around a week back and the car was not used post that.

This morning I decided to take the Yeti to work today and on starting it found the a/c blower not working again. A gentle tap to the a/c blower unit under the glove compartment got it working again. So even though I am glad that the a/c is working normally, I am disappointed that the problem is not really solved completely but at least the problem has been identified. I think it is time to get the a/c completely serviced and the a/c blower changed.
Old 15th September 2016, 18:48   #132
BHPian

Quote:
This morning I decided to take the Yeti to work today and on starting it found the a/c blower not working again. A gentle tap to the a/c blower unit under the glove compartment got it working again. So even though I am glad that the a/c is working normally, I am disappointed that the problem is not really solved completely but at least the problem has been identified. I think it is time to get the a/c completely serviced and the a/c blower changed.
Please check the blower motor wiring connector for any loose connection. It might not be connected properly during your last check up. It happened in my Punto also.
Old 16th September 2016, 11:53   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Please check the blower motor wiring connector for any loose connection. It might not be connected properly during your last check up. It happened in my Punto also.
We had checked this initially itself but it is not the problem. When the blower motor was removed during the last check up we found a lot of dust which was preventing the fan from moving freely and hence the erratic blower speeds.

After looking at the state of the blower motor, I suspect the cooling coil would require a good cleaning too. I am planning to just give the car to an independent workshop and get the entire a/c serviced.
Old 29th March 2017, 18:09   #134
BHPian

I have a 2011 Jetta Tdi AT. It's done around 40K Km. For the past week, the ac has almost stopped cooling. It lets in just about luke warm air. The blowers work fine and the thermostat turned to heating throws great hot air. but no cold air at all. Any suggestions before I take the car to VW service and end up selling a kidney for repair?

Last edited by clix22 : 29th March 2017 at 18:09. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 29th March 2017, 18:16   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
I have a 2011 Jetta Tdi AT. It's done around 40K Km. For the past week, the ac has almost stopped cooling. It lets in just about luke warm air. The blowers work fine and the thermostat turned to heating throws great hot air. but no cold air at all. Any suggestions before I take the car to VW service and end up selling a kidney for repair?
Go to a reliable ac mechanic and get the gas topped up, cooling coil cleaned. He may try to convince you to replace the cooling coil, if so go to VW for that.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks