Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2016, 17:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

I have an unique issue in my Linea.
on my way to native, while at the cruising speed of 100+, i felt, the air chillness from AC is relatively low even i changed to 18 degrees.
But once i entered some congested road and slowed down the car, AC was back to normal and throw almost bone chill air @ 18 degrees.
I have checked it with FASS and they wanted to remove entire dash board to assess the condenser coil and some other relative parts.
I am not much comfortable to remove dashboard. is there any way to check the AC.
Old 27th June 2016, 17:09   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
What else can I do to increase the air flow speed? At 1, it flow barely reaches the front seat occupants.
Can you check the blower motor once?! I hope it rotating freely?!
Old 27th June 2016, 17:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The amount of air that comes out of the blowers from my 2013 Dzire VDI at speed 1 is very low. the cabin filter is replaced regularly, but has had no impact on the air flow. The SA says this is normal, But I am sure it cannot be this low. What else can I do to increase the air flow speed? At 1, it flow barely reaches the front seat occupants.

Compare it other Dzires, you get loads of them as UBER/OLA cabs. May be it is normal. I can feel air at speed 1 only after the desired cooling is achieved in my Swift.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 17:25   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you check the blower motor once?! I hope it rotating freely?!
How do I check if it is working as desired?
Old 27th June 2016, 17:35   #110
BANNED

Quote:
How do I check if it is working as desired?
Try using another Dzire's blawer motor and also dismantle the blower and see if it is rotating freely.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2016, 00:13   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
on my way to native, while at the cruising speed of 100+, i felt, the air chillness from AC is relatively low even i changed to 18 degrees.
But once i entered some congested road and slowed down the car, AC was back to normal and throw almost bone chill air @ 18 degrees.
I have checked it with FASS and they wanted to remove entire dash board to assess the condenser coil and some other relative parts.
I am not much comfortable to remove dashboard. is there any way to check the AC.
Could it be due to higher speeds of highway and thus a greater engine load power was directed to keep the car moving rather than running the compressor of the AC ? Also it could be a normal cut off and on situation.
Old 29th June 2016, 02:28   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Most probably the evaporator coil is icing up. Turn-off the AC switch while on the highway for 10-15 minutes (so that the ice melts away and airflow is restored) and then turn the ac back on. If the ac starts to blow cold air after this 10min gap then evaporator coil is icing up on highways where the engine is at an higher rpm for longer duration. There could be several reasons- anything from a chocked filter to low side refrigerant pressure switch. A faulty temperature sensor/thermostat can also cause this.
Old 29th June 2016, 07:48   #113
BANNED

"interc00led; You missed out one and imho most common cause. A low refrigerant charge. This will lead also to the icing situation which is being described. It may also trigger the low side switch pressure switch tripping.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 16:02   #114
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone!!

I have a 2010 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4X4 which has done over 1 lakh kilometers. Yesterday the a/c stopped working; i.e. a/c is on but no air flow from the vents. Sent the car to Correa Car Cool at Malad West and was told that the a/c blower motor has failed and that this part is not available with them and should be sourced from the company itself.

Called up Skoda and they told me that the part costs around 15k and was wondering whether I should spend on a car that is already pretty old and due to be sold after a year or so. Decided to check around and were given 3 options:

OPTION 1
Skoda Authorised Centre
Part cost - 15k (Brand New)
Warranty - 2 years

OPTION 2
Wagenwerkz at Andheri East
Original Part Cost - 14k
Warranty - 1 month from Wagenwerkz

Replacement Make - 6.5k
Warranty - None

OPTION 3
Gomes Car A/C at Santacruz West
Refurbished Part - 7k
Warranty - None

Since I also have a Volkswagen, I also spoke to the service advisor there and he told me that there is a possibility of the A/C Blower Motor Register that has gone kaput and not the entire motor.

Initial symptoms were the a/c air flow was erratic; used to stop without warning and used to start whenever the blower unit (located under the glove compartment) was tapped. Now there is no response.

Experts please advise.
Old 3rd September 2016, 23:51   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
OPTION 1
Skoda Authorised Centre
Warranty - 2 years
Hi, If you plan to keep the car for a bit more time, I suggest get it done at the Authorised service centre, Added advantage being you can be 100% sure of the parts used will be original, With Germans i would personally never take a chance to use an Independent garage. Warranty of 2 years seems good too!
Old 4th September 2016, 03:53   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone!!

I have a 2010 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4X4 which has done over 1 lakh kilometers. Yesterday the a/c stopped working; i.e. a/c is on but no air flow from the vents. Sent the car to Correa Car Cool at Malad West and was told that the a/c blower motor has failed and that this part is not available with them and should be sourced from the company itself.

Called up Skoda and they told me that the part costs around 15k and was wondering whether I should spend on a car that is already pretty old and due to be sold after a year or so. Decided to check around and were given 3 options:

OPTION 1
Skoda Authorised Centre
Warranty - 2 years

OPTION 2
Original Part Cost - 14k

Replacement Make - 6.5k
Warranty - None

OPTION 3
Refurbished Part - 7k
Warranty - None

Since I also have a Volkswagen, I also spoke to the service advisor there and he told me that there is a possibility of the A/C Blower Motor Register that has gone kaput and not the entire motor.

Initial symptoms were the a/c air flow was erratic; used to stop without warning and used to start whenever the blower unit (located under the glove compartment) was tapped. Now there is no response.

Experts please advise.

You car has run quite a bit now. I would advise you not to spend so much unless you really plan on keeping it for long.

Besides, find a trusted local AC guy. They do pretty reliable work if you find the correct person.

Speaking for personal experience, I was quoted 45K from H.A.S.S for my i10. They wanted to change the entire air conditioning system which included the compressor, cooling coils, hoses, etc.

Got it done from the local guy at Rs. 3,800/-. Local made evaporator coil was replaced and gas was filled. Lasted me flawlessly. I sold the car with the same setup. No complaints.
Old 4th September 2016, 20:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

Check out Top Beat AC in Santacruz W also. Its diagonally opposite HDFC in the corner building next to Lila Nursery. They have been around for ages and are pretty good. Start by telling them the motor register has gone and take it from there.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:17   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone!!

OPTION 1
Skoda Authorised Centre
Warranty - 2 years

OPTION 2
Original Part Cost - 14k

Replacement Make - 6.5k
Warranty - None

OPTION 3
Refurbished Part - 7k
Warranty - None

Experts please advise.
So further to my issue above. The a/c in my Yeti has started to work again but the issue still exists and seems to give a better indication of what the problem might be.

So I turned on the a/c blower settings to full and noticed that the airflow is not as strong as it is supposed to be. On driving the car over bumps, I noticed that the airflow will increase and then decrease again.

I am fortunate to have a very good relationship with my VW Service Center where I service my Polo 1.6 and on mentioning this issue to them, as mentioned above I was told it could be the A/C Blower Motor Resistor which controls the airflow and not the entire blower assembly. This can be known for sure only once the car is scanned. To prevent any hanky panky by Skoda, the VW guys are willing to scan my car and pin point the fault so that all I will have to do is just inform Skoda to order the part and get the work done from them there. They are also willing to speak the Skoda Authorised Service Centre through their contacts there. Whoever said VAG after sales is not up there
Old 6th September 2016, 11:47   #119
BHPian

Need urgent help. Is there any trustable AC service and repair shop in Bangalore?

Thanks,
Selective
Old 6th September 2016, 11:56   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as mentioned above I was told it could be the A/C Blower Motor Resistor which controls the airflow and not the entire blower assembly.
Did they at least check gas levels and clean the AC cooling coil? Substantial dust (and leaves, mud etc) will be on it after extended use and that will decrease cooling levels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks