Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2017, 05:28   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Check the fuses / relays / temperature sensor for the aircon and one of them might have failed or have a loose connection.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:44   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
I have a Chevrolet Beat and my AC cooling stopped. Got the AC checked and problem was piston in the compressor had cracked and all the fragments were spread across complete AC system. Got compressor, condenser, cooling coil and filter replaced along with complete cleaning of the AC system. Now I am facing a very strange problem. As soon as I start the car there is no cooling and fan also isn't working. But if I disconnect and connect the battery and start the car everything works absolutely fine with superb cooling. Again If I shut the car and restart the problem is back. So for every time to keep AC working I need to disconnect/connect the battery. I am unable to understand this strange problem. Even the AC repair guy is unable to solve this problem. Can some one help me solve this strange problem???

I got the job done at UNICOOL Car Aircon in Ghatkopar which is quite famous among TEAM Bhpites with some good reviews.
This Unicool guy is reputed and tested so he shouldn't have had this issue, anyway some things can be checked.

Firstly this problem seems to indicate that some electronic component of the new AC is not communicating properly with the cars system and/or ECM and is probably causing this.

Now considering that most Chevy's don't have their thermistor connected physically to the evaporator coil (not sure of the Beat though), so you installer would not have put a new one because it was not connected to the main issue you had. That leaves us with the only other guy who has an electronic component- the compressor. If it was an OEM part, this wouldn't have occurred but it's almost impossible to get a Chevy comp these days.

So if the comp was not OEM, it must have some components ( like clutch, pressure-switch, resistance, etc) which are not communicating properly with the system and hence the issue is cropping up. One more electronic sensor is there in the high-pressure line. Check if that was replaced too (it was not necessary though).

All in all your description of the problem indicates an electronic/electric gremlin. Hope this helps.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 15:34   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
This Unicool guy is reputed and tested so he shouldn't have had this issue, anyway some things can be checked.

All in all your description of the problem indicates an electronic/electric gremlin. Hope this helps.
Thank you buddy for sharing your knowledge.

Do you know any FNG in Mumbai with expertise in car electricals ?

Since last couple of years I have stopped servicing my car at Chevrolet service centers as they charge a bomb and I was not satisfied with their service too. I get my car serviced at Select Auto in Dadar but since they are relocating they are not taking cars for servicing.
Old 11th October 2017, 17:58   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Do you know any FNG in Mumbai with expertise in car electricals ?
In this case I think you should try first with Unicool because it is the components put in by him that is malfunctioning. Unless he screwed up something else during the job that he did. Earlier it was all ok. So the problem is with the new parts. I think you should get a proper answer from him as to why his parts are not working. Because if you go to some other guy and he says you have to change some of the new parts then ideally it should be Unicool who has to be doing that.

Things you should ask him are:

1) we're all the new parts put in genuine or definite compatible parts?
2) did he do a scan to find any errors

If still there is no definite answer we can try another guy or electrician.

Personally I would have blamed Unicool and told him to remove his parts back if they're not functioning properly in the first place.
Old 20th November 2017, 14:39   #170
BHPian

My Swift VDI 2007 model AC is becoming week, the AC service done by MASS does not seem to restore the cooling to previous glory.

Any good AC exper in Bangalore ? Preferably around electronic city
Old 26th December 2017, 14:10   #171
Senior - BHPian

My 3.5 year old Hyundai Xcent suddenly had this problem. At the end of a 3 hour drive to Chennai the AC did not cool. I could hear the blower sound normally loud with blower in full setting but the air throw was feeble and barely cool. Thankfully we were only fifteen minutes from our destination. I stopped and started the car once before reaching, but it did not change things.
Fifteen minutes after reaching the destination and keeping the car switched off, it seems ok.
I have a one hour drive to go to Mahabalipuram and am wondering if I can wait till after that to get this checked.
Old 26th December 2017, 15:58   #172
BHPian

@BenjiRoss, I think there's ice formation in your case. When there's ice formation, the blower's air throw would be reduced. Moreover, if the situation improves after waiting for 10-15 minutes, then it's definitely an indication of ice formation.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 08:50   #173
BANNED

@BenjiRoss it can also be a rarer phenomenon. This is partial failure of the blower motor. The speed drops. It has happened to my Brio. I am waiting for the blower motor.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 08:55   #174
BHPian

If the blower throw is very low and it stays low all the time, then it is almost certainly a case of AC filter getting clogged. However if it works fine after 15 to 20 mins of no AC usage, then it is probably a case of ice formation.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 17:58   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My 3.5 year old Hyundai Xcent suddenly had this problem. At the end of a 3 hour drive to Chennai the AC did not cool. I could hear the blower sound normally loud with blower in full setting but the air throw was feeble and barely cool.
If the air throw was feeble then there is some block in the system. This can be either due to blocked grills, filters etc or even ice formation inside. Former type of blocks would not change irrespective of idle time, but latter can since the ice formation can melt off and system becomes normal.

On the other hand if the blower speed was not varying, you would need to check the motors speed control module. It is similar to a relay block and not very expensive (couple of hundreds), if the circuits are blown.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 18:18   #176
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for your advice. The AC worked without a problem after that. So it looks like ice formation that caused the blockage. I'll probably also get the filter cleaned or changed. I usually need to get it cleaned a couple of times a year as I stay in a very dusty place.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:35   #177
BHPian

Need some advice.
I have a esteem 2005 vxi, The AC was working fine. The car wasn't used for 4 months. When i started the car now, there wasn't any cooling.

After 5 mins of running, there was smoke coming from the compressor area.
The mechanic says the compressor has to be replaced.

Will a gas refill solve the problem?
Can the compressor be repaired? or should i replace it with a used one?
Old 2nd January 2018, 23:04   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
Need some advice.

Smoke from compressor area isn't enough data to deduce a possible solution to your problem. It's like calling up a doctor and saying that you're feeling nauseous and so should you pop a pill or drink lime soda or then undergo surgery. You want all the answers without even a diagnosis?

Things have to be checked. How can you expect a fellow-bhpian to even cough up a possible resolution with next to nill data regarding the situation? No offense, I just think that only a person who has physically inspected the vehicle can give you a credible reply which, in itself, is not a very common issue.

That said, as far as I know, Ac compressors never smoke. On their own, at least. There would be need for a proper sequence of investigation into the issue, like to start with seeing if the compressor is at all switching on, followed be checking if there is adequate refrigerant in the system, are the drive belt/s in the required condition and setting, then is the condenser fan also functioning, does the rpm increase when the ac is switched on as desired, etc etc. A collective remedial procedure can only be suggested after looking into such various symptoms and conditions. Please take it to an active technician/expert and see how it goes. Cheers.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:34   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
Need some advice.
I have a esteem 2005 vxi, The AC was working fine. The car wasn't used for 4 months. When i started the car now, there wasn't any cooling.

The mechanic says the compressor has to be replaced.

@T1000, The compressor can smoke out when it is working overtime to achieve its task. It is possible when AC gas is low or if the air side of AC condenser is blocked or not getting enough cooling. I'd immediately check these things:
- If there are any physical blockages to air flow on the AC condenser.
- If the cooling fan switches ON when you turn the AC ON.
- Take it to a service centre and get the refrigerant level checked.

Regards,
Subramanyam
subramanyam84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:22   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramanyam84 View Post
@T1000, The compressor can smoke out when it is working overtime to achieve its task. It is possible when AC gas is low or if the air side of AC condenser is blocked or not getting enough cooling. I'd immediately check these things:
- If there are any physical blockages to air flow on the AC condenser.
- If the cooling fan switches ON when you turn the AC ON.
- Take it to a service centre and get the refrigerant level checked.

Regards,
Subramanyam
Thanks Subramanyam for the response.

1. Cooling fan switches ON when the AC is turned on.
2. Condenser air flow is smooth, there are no blockages.
3. After running for 5 mins, normally the pipe which carries the refrigerant gets chilled, thats a simple way to check if ac is working. this wasn't happening.

I took it to a mechanic, his solution was to replace the compressor.
If i goto MASS they will definitely change the entire system.

Will top of gas help? Is it possible the internals of the compressor rusted as the vehicle was not used for 4 months?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks