Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2020, 18:25   #316
BHPian

Re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Hello,

I have an issue with the Air conditioner of my car (Corolla Altis 2011 D4DG model, Automatic AC). The Car's AC seems to usually work fine, and chills the cabin even in extreme temperatures of Rajasthan without any problems.

However, sometimes, the cooling effect is extremely reduced, but about 90.00 %. I took the car to the Toyota showroom here in Aurangabad and they suggested I replace the entire AC unit along with the condenser coil. They gave me a total estimate of about Rs. 75000.00. I thought a Toyota was more reliable than this.

Anyway, I had asked this question on teambhp sometime back and received the suggestion to check the AC clutch. The showroom people said that the AC clutch was fine. So I am not sure what is exactly wrong with the car.

One thing I have noticed is that the CAR AC usually stops working for a couple of days when the car stops abruptly, for example if I let go of the clutch suddenly.

I don't understand how can the AC work fine some times and not so fine at other times. Can any of the experienced people here suggest what I should do? I really cannot be spending 75k on the car right now and any workaround would be a great help.

Thank you.
Old 26th July 2020, 08:36   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukhrajsingh93 View Post
The problem could not be identified by outside experts too.
To be honest, this appears as a thermostat issue, have you looked into this?

Will also suggest to get it evaluated at a competent workshop dealing in VAG cars or service centers dealing exclusively in car A.C. can be of help too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
However, sometimes, the cooling effect is extremely reduced, but about 90.00 %. I took the car to the Toyota showroom here in Aurangabad and they suggested I replace the entire AC unit along with the condenser coil.
Something similar had happened with my SUV, cooling coil had developed a leak. My SUV was still in warranty and all parts were changed free of cost, cooling stabilized too, but now, I have to keep it at 25 degrees instead of earlier 27 degrees. My other car chills at 27 still.

There is an actuator / valve too, check if its functioning. Will suggest to get a second opinion from a reputed garage / exclusive A.C. repair workshop.

There are A.C. parts which a manufacturer may not be making and merely would be rebranding it, if you do a bit of research, you may come across similar parts and get the exact parts replaced at half or even lower than what it is quoted by at the manufacturer.

Last edited by Sheel : 26th July 2020 at 08:51.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 14:55   #318
BHPian

Dear Team BHP'ians,

I have a 2010 Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI which has clocked 118K kms.

The AC system needs a complete overhaul - compressor, condenser & cooling coil need replacement.

I am looking for a reliable Car Aircon workshop in Mumbai or Thane as I am not too keen on getting the job done from the ASS.

Any suggestions from fellow Team BHP’ians will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sid
Old 8th October 2020, 23:33   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpak View Post
Dear Team BHP'ians,

I am looking for a reliable Car Aircon workshop in Mumbai or Thane as I am not too keen on getting the job done from the ASS.

Any suggestions from fellow Team BHP’ians will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sid
I know a trusted air con shop in Navi Mumbnai. You can call Muzzamil on 9867824917. You can give my reference as Shom.
Old 16th November 2020, 14:45   #320
BHPian

Can someone please throw some light into the problem. Car Alto lxi 2007, A/C serviced before two times, last being 2 months back. AC cools very effectively, but blower motor will not turn on after starting the car. Sometimes it turns on after 5 minutes sometimes after 1/2 hour. Once it is on, no performance drop either in the fan speed or AC cooling. Sent to the workshop, they could not diagnose as per them every time they try it works. While taking the delivery from workshop guy, it
was working. Again today same issue. This is becoming irritating now. Any insight will be much appreciated.
Old 16th November 2020, 15:46   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Can someone please throw some light into the problem. Car Alto lxi 2007, A/C serviced before two times, last being 2 months back. AC cools very effectively, but blower motor will not turn on after starting the car. Sometimes it turns on after 5 minutes sometimes after 1/2 hour. Once it is on, no performance drop either in the fan speed or AC cooling. Sent to the workshop, they could not diagnose as per them every time they try it works. While taking the delivery from workshop guy, it
was working. Again today same issue. This is becoming irritating now. Any insight will be much appreciated.
Most probably the capacitor of the motor is on it's way out, it could even be a loose connection in the wire, best thing is to replace blower motor and see if problem resolves.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:50   #322
BHPian

Car : TATA Zest XMS MJD 90ps / 2015 / 47K

Symptoms : No A/C effect and small noise is heard if A/C is on.

Diagnosis by TATA A.S.S : Cooling coil need to be replaced. Estimate Around 17,000.

Diagnosis and estimate by Independent mechanic : Pending

Car was serviced just 2 days back, no issues before service.

All four tyres were replaced after service, and wheel alignment / balancing done outside.

Will update here once Diagnosis and estimate by Independent mechanic is done.

Main Question is any possibility that problem happened due to service?
Old 20th December 2020, 15:30   #323
BHPian

My 2015 Alto K10 AMT is having an issue with the AC - while the switch shows it is on (Orange LED) the compressor doesnt really "click" on and so there is no cooling whatsoever. FNG said that they will have to inspect for leaks with Nitrogen and then refill the gas. But my concern is - if gas leakage was a problem it would have progressively gotten worse, whereas the AC was fine earlier this week. Also, wouldnt the compressor atleast "click" on but just not be able to cool due to low gas? Im afraid the problem may be a simple switch / loose wire contact issue that I will end up overpaying for.
Suggestions?
Old 20th December 2020, 16:05   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Car : TATA Zest XMS MJD 90ps / 2015 / 47K

Symptoms : No A/C effect and small noise is heard if A/C is on.

Diagnosis by TATA A.S.S : Cooling coil need to be replaced. Estimate Around 17,000.

Diagnosis and estimate by Independent mechanic : Pending
Vishal, did you find out what went wrong? And were you able to resolve this? Please do update.
Old 27th December 2020, 16:19   #325
MSA

Non-working AC/ Blower/ non-cooling AC (XUV W10)

Not so much a reply but just an update on my experience. 50,000 km and 5 years later, post-lockdown traveling from Delhi to Bangalore on Agra highway and my AC stopped - absolutely stopped with no air, no cooling just sound. I SOSed the engineer who serviced my car at Koncept Mahindra and he suggested turning off the AC and gently tapping the portion above the glovebox. I did this and it worked from Mathura till Gwalior. According to him, ice crystals were forming in the inner pipes leading to choking the air flow - the gentle tapping would help break down the crystals.
However next day from Gwalior to Khajuraho this kept happening. I perfected the solution - after two hours the airflow would stop and I'd turn off the thermostat keeping fan on. After 10 odd minutes, the AC sound would get robust and I'd turn on the thermostat.
A quick visit to Mahindra workshop (Star) at Jabalpur yielded nothing great. The problem persisted all the way to Bangalore - with the jugaad technique.
A visit to Mahindra Bangalore (Sireeh) left me with findings that there was possible gas leak, evaporator and condenser problem and that it would cost nearly INR 30k to repair (INR 1,200 for review). I sought a second opinion using gomehcanic's suggested workshop (Autoline, Narayanapura). Mahindra said they'd provide warranty for new parts. Autoline was cheaper by few thousands for same diagnosis. I decided to go with Mahindra. INR 20,000 and one week later, I was shocked to find that air speed is still way too feeble for an INR 20 lakh car (2.2l)! Calls and social media SOS' later, Mahindra said they would look into it again.
However, it appears, Mahindra's AC is just not as a powerful as a Hyundai with which I have almost similar experience. Surprising considering Indian summers! Mahindra had said they'd take a look at my car and the AC again - will update after that!
Old 27th December 2020, 20:20   #326
Senior - BHPian

This seems very hit and trial. Scorpio inevitably has a cooling coil issue around 60k km plus or minus 2-3k, I assume the same with your xuv.

Replacing the condenser is probably very hit and trial
Old 10th February 2021, 12:58   #327
BHPian

Hi can anyone suggest a good AC mechanic in Coimbatore, TN. My Maruti Ritz has started giving weird grinding noise when I was driving the car a few days back. When the AC is switched off, the noise goes away. The cooling is also almost non existent for the past few days. I have a doubt that there may be a coolant leak and also some issues in compressor. Any one please suggest what might be the issue and a competent person to look into the issue, as the nearby ASC is just plain bad in carrying repairs.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:30   #328
BHPian

My car AC was fine till the afternoon. I started my car and suddenly there is smell like like dead rotten rat. Any pointers?
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:05   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
My car AC was fine till the afternoon. I started my car and suddenly there is smell like like dead rotten rat. Any pointers?
A dead rotten rat in the engine bay?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:13   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
A dead rotten rat in the engine bay?
A/C was in recirculation mode still smell persist. It becomes prominent if A/C is switched off and blower is on. A/C cooling is fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks