Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2016, 10:24   #166
BHPian

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

Thanks Ankur. Do you think that the cost of the Cooling Coil would vary depending on the make of the car as well? In looking at some resources online, I see that the cooling coil for a Maruti Alto is much as compared to a Skoda Octavia.

So my question to guys on the forum is - as my car is a Mitsubishi Lancer, could it be that the cost of the cooling coil would be much higher than that of a Hyundai i-10?
Old 12th March 2016, 23:01   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonfish View Post
Thanks Ankur. Do you think that the cost of the Cooling Coil would vary depending on the make of the car as well? In looking at some resources online, I see that the cooling coil for a Maruti Alto is much as compared to a Skoda Octavia.

So my question to guys on the forum is - as my car is a Mitsubishi Lancer, could it be that the cost of the cooling coil would be much higher than that of a Hyundai i-10?
Really can't say how the price should vary among manufacturers but Hyundai i10 being more common on the roads may have some benefit of economies of scale...
Old 14th March 2016, 21:52   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niel@Figo View Post
Hi all,

My car (Figo 2010 model) AC is showing similar problem since last 2 days. Just throwing hot air.

I was not sure of going to ASS or local workshop but looking at suggestion, I think its better to go to local ac repair workshop.

I searched in the BHP directory, but unable to find recommended AC repair workshop in Hyderabad, so would like to get suggestion on any recommended AC repair workshops in Hyderabad(near Miyapur/Madhapur/Banjara Hills)

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I think you should first go to the Ford Dealer first and get your problem diagnosed. Its probably (in 90% cases) that the gas has escaped through some joint in the pipe work because of a failed O ring. But the case here is once you have it checked out and found the cause of the problem, you may then decide to sort it out from either a independent technician or the Ford dealer depending on their quote.
I once faced a similar problem when i drove our Ford fusion. i went straight to the best independent AC technician and they straight away told me "cooling coil gone sir" and because this was in 2007 he quoted a ridiculous price somewhere close to 15k. Just out of curiosity and because the Ford dealer had friendly service adviser I decided to try my luck there. The car was checked by the service adviser and after guessing that it should be the evaporator they actually quoted a similar price. And so I decided to leave the car with the dealer guessing a better job at opening up the dashboard and stuff. After a couple of hours the service adviser called and told me that the car is almost ready and it was a simple O ring that leaked and I only had to pay for the Refrigerant gas and labor. Job done in a couple of thousand rupees.
Happy motoring
Cheers
Old 14th March 2016, 22:41   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
After a couple of hours the service adviser called and told me that the car is almost ready and it was a simple O ring that leaked and I only had to pay for the Refrigerant gas and labor. Job done in a couple of thousand rupees.
Happy motoring
Cheers
You're actually blessed with a good dealer. That's like winning a lottery these days. Never trust them completely. Any brand dealer.

Speaking of Ford, for example, this forum is filled with cheater Ford dealers all over the place. I remember how in the older Fiesta days, the diesel models had a chronic pipe leak issue which used to recur a lot after period of time and the dealers used to say cooling coil problem and charge anywhere near 7k plus other charges. Sometimes more than once for the same customer. Thought you guys should know. But taking a second opinion from them is OK.

The way I see it, a motorist should have/acquire at least basic knowledge of how most mechanical things work. It helps in many situations. We know the world is passing from mechanical-to-electronic-to-computer-to-internet age but still....
Old 15th March 2016, 20:10   #170
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I just got the car back today. There was a leak in the condenser. It was replaced and gas filled under extended warranty. Its working great now and also feeling good because I got my moneys worth from the Extended Warranty which expires end of April.
Old 19th March 2016, 13:35   #171
BHPian

Ankur...I checked at multiple AC shops and found out that the cost of AC Cooling Coil for a Lancer is usually between 5-6k. Out of curiosity I also called up the official Mitsubishi showrooms to check how much they would charge - I had head stories about how obnoxious their AC spare parts were priced but my jaw almost dropped when they said it would be in the range of 40-45k plus 6k for the labour.

Yes, that's right - almost half a lakh if you go to the Mitsubishi authorized service centers. Needless to say I got the job done at an AC shop in Koramangala for about 7k in total including the AC Cooling coil, gas and labour included.
Old 19th March 2016, 15:41   #172
BHPian

Hyundai Fluidic Verna AC

I am driving Fluidic Verna since June 2012. The performance of the vehicle is superb and am fully satisfied with the car. Last week the AC stopped cooling suddenly. So took the vehicle to the nearest Authorized Service Station. The adviser there diagnosed a leak in the cooling coil and suggested me to take the vehicle to a local ac workshop

Now I am not comfortable with the local shop though it is a leading shop in my place because firstly the vehicle will be there with him for 2 days and it will be parked on the road.

Second most important is that to open the cooling coil they will have to open the dashboard completely and here is where I am a bit worried as the dashboard houses the AIRBAGS and hence I am in doubt weather they can re assemble it properly.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Old 19th March 2016, 18:04   #173
Senior - BHPian

You are saying that Hyundai ASS is not willing to do the repair in house? Strange! Have you tried taking the car to another ASS?
Old 19th March 2016, 18:37   #174
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Fluidic Verna AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
I am driving Fluidic Verna since June 2012. The performance of the vehicle is superb and am fully satisfied with the car. Last week the AC stopped cooling suddenly. So took the vehicle to the nearest Authorized Service Station. The adviser there diagnosed a leak in the cooling coil and suggested me to take the vehicle to a local ac workshop

Now I am not comfortable with the local shop though it is a leading shop in my place because firstly the vehicle will be there with him for 2 days and it will be parked on the road.

Second most important is that to open the cooling coil they will have to open the dashboard completely and here is where I am a bit worried as the dashboard houses the AIRBAGS and hence I am in doubt weather they can re assemble it properly.

Samir

1. What is the problem with AC.? Details would help us guide you better.
2. Have you seen the cooling coil leak location?
3. 2 days to fix the leak is strange !! Check with the local mechanic again.
4. I don't think the dashboard removal is required to fix the issue.
Old 19th March 2016, 18:54   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Samir

1. What is the problem with AC.? Details would help us guide you better.
2. Have you seen the cooling coil leak location?
3. 2 days to fix the leak is strange !! Check with the local mechanic again.
4. I don't think the dashboard removal is required to fix the issue.
Yes

Last week I drove the vehicle in the morning and everything was working fine.
parked the car at my workshop. In the evening when I started the car there was a hissing sound from the AC. The typical sound when you get when the refregrent pressure is low. I suspected a gas leak.

So took the car to the dealership. They checked the vehicle externally and later informed me that the car should be taken to the local AC mechanic to pinpoint the gas leakage. They also told me that they generally dont do the job at the dealership and all the cars are taken to that particular shop.

So took my Verna to that particular shop. There they checked the system by pressurising it. It showed big leakage. You could easily hear the gas leaking inside the cabin. So it is clear that there is leakage in the cooling coil.

The only thing I am worried about is the AIRBAGS.

Thanks & regards

Samir
Old 19th March 2016, 19:20   #176
BHPian

It's very very strange that Hyundai isn't willing to rectify the issue at their end. I used to have a Santro Xing which had AC issues 2 years ago. Got an estimate for 16k for refrigerant and some condensor issue. It seemed a little high so I took the car back. After pondering over it I gave it the following week and okayed the replacement/repair for 14-16k. On collecting the car, to my pleasant surprise I was informed it was a minor hose issue & something else and was rectified within a couple of thousands!

Recently in February my in-warranty Grand i10 developed AC issues, where the the AC made a racket and the the throw of air was very poor. Immediately booked an appointment. Thankfully it was diagnosed as just a clogged Air Filter issue which sits behind the glove box. Wasn't even charged it was such a small job and I was on my way in 15 minutes.

Please take a second opinion from another dealership. Would not recommend getting the car checked or fixed from outside. As said by others 2 days is too long for this and if you could provided a more detailed explanation of the issue with air-conditioner.

Last edited by promit : 19th March 2016 at 19:24.
Old 19th March 2016, 20:26   #177
BHPian

If you have confirmed a cooling coil leakage then the only way you can rectify it is by removing the whole dashboard including steering(just dismantling the dash mounts will do), center console, and basically making the whole front bare below which sits the HVAC unit. Yes it also involves removing the airbags of course.

Now firstly the dashboard has to be removed in almost 90% of cars for this job. Especially Hyundai's where it's a must. Barring some older cars like Santro.

Aircon technicians have to be adept with handling airbags as it comes as a part of the job in almost all cars these days. Not just your car. So if the guys in question here are AC guys in reality they should be able to handle it. Or else they are not proper AC people in the first place.

Other than the airbags you should also be worried about not getting nasty scratches and scuffs on your center console parts as this also happens with some guys.
Old 20th March 2016, 00:44   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...to open the cooling coil they will have to open the dashboard completely and here is where I am a bit worried as the dashboard houses the AIRBAGS and hence I am in doubt weather they can re assemble it properly.

Removing the dashboard is quite routine to access the cooling coil in most newer models of cars today. With the battery disconnected and headlights switched on, there is no issue of airbag explosion etc. Wires have connectors, just make double sure about labelling the corresponding male and female sides, to connect them back correctly. Only connect the battery back once all connections are verified.

As to scratches on the dashboard, a good mechanic would spare you that. And for minor scratches, a buffing and polishing afterwards should solve those.

The whole process can take 8-10 hours. No wonder they want to keep your car for 2 days.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 03:00   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Yes

Last week I drove the vehicle in the morning and everything was working fine.
parked the car at my workshop. In the evening when I started the car there was a hissing sound from the AC. The typical sound when you get when the refregrent pressure is low. I suspected a gas leak.

So took the car to the dealership. They checked the vehicle externally and later informed me that the car should be taken to the local AC mechanic to pinpoint the gas leakage. They also told me that they generally dont do the job at the dealership and all the cars are taken to that particular shop.

So took my Verna to that particular shop. There they checked the system by pressurising it. It showed big leakage. You could easily hear the gas leaking inside the cabin. So it is clear that there is leakage in the cooling coil.

The only thing I am worried about is the AIRBAGS.

Thanks & regards

Samir

They will disconnect the battery before doing anything so I guess there is no risk of the airbag system getting spoiled.

Opening the dashboard is a routine procedure for changing the cooling coil. I got my i10's cooling coil replaced just over a month back.

I too was skeptical about local folks opening up the dashboard and all but they're pretty used to it so IMO no need to worry.

Though when the work on my car was being done, I was standing there and watching so that no forcing around was done with my car...
Old 20th March 2016, 03:04   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonfish View Post
Ankur...I checked at multiple AC shops and found out that the cost of AC Cooling Coil for a Lancer is usually between 5-6k. Out of curiosity I also called up the official Mitsubishi showrooms to check how much they would charge - I had head stories about how obnoxious their AC spare parts were priced but my jaw almost dropped when they said it would be in the range of 40-45k plus 6k for the labour.

Yes, that's right - almost half a lakh if you go to the Mitsubishi authorized service centers. Needless to say I got the job done at an AC shop in Koramangala for about 7k in total including the AC Cooling coil, gas and labour included.
Yes, I was quoted a similar amount (Rs. 45,000/- including labor and taxes) by Hyundai for my i10 AC. It was just a leak in the evaporator coil that I got fixed locally for 4800.

Hyundai wanted to change the entire assembly which included the compressor, evaporator, condensor and the hoses.

Their argument was that since the compressor oil had turned black, it would contaminate any new part fixed in the AC system and hence they were asking for a complete replacement. Needless to say I didn't trust them...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks