Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2006, 18:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Beleive me, My old M800 did about 85,000kms on LPG with the traditional conversion setup with home cylinder.

I was present at the workshop when my uncle's mechanic opened the engine to built it for lack of compression and heavy oil leak, he exclaimed the engine will run another 10-15000kms easily before it dies. We just changed the rings and pepped it up and disposed it for another M800. I bowed down in front of the car before I handed it over.
Old 30th November 2006, 19:19   #32
BHPian

M800 age....

My sis still drives a 1993 Maruti 800 that's done right around 165k.

Almost everything except the engine itself has been replaced and re-replaced on that car! And no, the engine isn't smooth anymore either, although it showed a marked improvement after the last servicing. Although it's still very driveable, we don't take the risk of driving it across town (anywhere greater than 15 km away) anymore......

I guess a number of factors influenced the greater wear and tear on this vehicle, including the fact that we had drivers for it until the late 90s. My sis has also not really given much weight to prompt service intervals either....
Old 1st December 2006, 00:29   #33
SuperSyn

Strange question. The "life" of an engine has nothing to do with the nation in which it was manufactured or assembled. A properly engineered engine's "life" depends on how it is serviced and used, no matter whether you measure life in kilometers or years.

Old 1st December 2006, 07:20   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Car Max. Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Hi All,

I was thinking about what would be the maximum life (in KM) of the engines used in the indian cars.
Cheers
Some examples for you:

1.1997 Esteem VX - 230000kms without an overhaul - still great to drive.This owner used to ensure the oil change every 10k kms.This car also went under water in 1998.
2.1998 Ambasador ISUZU Taxi- 250000 kms and then engine rebored.another 125000 kms and going strong.

Two very important points:
1.Oil change as per schedule
2.Driving in correct gear/rpm range most of the time(say 3000 rpm max for Maruti)
Old 1st December 2006, 11:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Two very important points:
1.Oil change as per schedule
2.Driving in correct gear/rpm range most of the time(say 3000 rpm max for Maruti)
Very correct. Even though dealer did not feel oil change necessary for my swift at 12 month 10k km (it has done only 8k and changed at 1k service) free service, I am going tomorrow to change the oil to GTX2, so that for another year/8k km I am ok.

Another factor that dramatically affects engine life is where it is being driven. Start stop city driving is most stressful on the engine. On the other hand, highway driving at reasonable speed/load is very good (it blows away the carbon / goo, etc. buildups) and least stressful. My OHC engine becomes much smoother/quicker after a sustained 50-100km drive than when doing 10km ones.

It is of course essential that one lets the engine idle to warm up when cold starting for at least a minute or two and then also rev it gently. Most drivers start the car and then rev it sky high (to charge the battery? or afraid it will not start again?). This will effectively halve your engine life.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:51   #36
BHPian

Sandeep
Quote:
" Very correct. Even though dealer did not feel oil change necessary for my swift at 12 month 10k km (it has done only 8k and changed at 1k service) free service, I am going tomorrow to change the oil to GTX2, so that for another year/8k km I am ok
"

It is widely recommended to change your oil every six months regardless of the kms clocked.
Old 1st December 2006, 15:34   #37
BHPian

I too think that engine life depends on how you maintain your car. But since engines consist of mechanical parts, metals, alloys etc and they have their own characteristics/limitations. Its quite possible that a fully alloy-made engine might survive longer than a cast-iron engine. But fact remains fact that you have to maintain your car very well otherwise alloys too can be destroyed!
Old 1st December 2006, 16:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
Sandeep "

It is widely recommended to change your oil every six months regardless of the kms clocked.
That was with the older oils. With today's better more modern oils and/or synthetics, 1 year or 10k km (whichever is earlier) is also ok. This is most manufacturers. Honda however, insists 6 months or 5k km (but that may again be due to the standard idemitsu oil they use)
Old 28th December 2006, 23:00   #39
BHPian

Can we have a fairly good idea of engine run??

Hi , have soem apprehension in my mind, if some one can give his expert advice on the possibility to judge "How much miles honda city 1.5 engine has logged withoput looking at the odo?"If yes whats the best way??
Also if some one has an experience with 1.5 City type Z,when is a normal clutch change time?
I am in a kind of need to have this info handy,Shall appretiate your effort.
Regards.
Old 29th December 2006, 01:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman
depends on tuning of the engine a engine mildly tuned will always outrun the heavily tuned engine for example take qualis's engine it has more life than a scorpio's engine.
Well,if ur statement is a fact, then here's my explanation:
1) Toyota is japanese engineering and we all know Toyota=reliability
2) The qualis engine is NA and the scorpio's is a turbo-charged.
Moreover, for the cost u pay for a qualis' engine rebuild, it BETTER give more kms!!

My take on engine life:
Its totally based on the way it's maintained.Periodic oil change,idling the engine for a minute during cold-starts is healthier for the engine.An engine run on synthetic oil will have a lot of life(Its like eating healthy food).
Also,Hard-revving will decrease engine life.
Old 29th December 2006, 05:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Engines used for cruising on hwy are less stressed than city driving that involves stopping and acclerating back to speed.
Old 29th December 2006, 13:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Engines used for cruising on hwy are less stressed than city driving that involves stopping and acclerating back to speed.
agree to that. one of the reasons why cars in the developed world clock more before their expiry date.
Old 29th December 2006, 16:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
"How much miles honda city 1.5 engine has logged withoput looking at the odo?
It would be difficult to guess a figure just by looking at the engine, an expert could give you a ball-park figure by driving her but it would be an estimation. A well-driven & properly serviced engine can fool even the best of experts since it's life is enhanced by the proper care taken of it. A poorly maintained engine can also go wrong with very low mileage on the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Also if some one has an experience with 1.5 City type Z,when is a normal clutch change time?
Again depends on the usage & driving conditions. My OHC clutch has done 124k & is still going strong whereas some people have experienced failure even at 40k. Depending on usage the replacement time varies vastly.
Old 29th December 2006, 23:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Cars are like mistresses and remain in great shape if handled all through by a single male...

Disclaimer: No offence meant
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2007, 05:24   #45
BANNED

I've also heard that Fiat engines(both petrol & diesel) are as good as Honda/Toyota. If that is not the case, we'll never ever see the geriatric Fiats even today !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks