Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2007, 09:02   #46
Team-BHP Support

Arent we forgetting out good old M800s???

There are owners still living happily with the first series of M800s, that too without any major work on the engine...
Old 1st January 2007, 13:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've also heard that Fiat engines(both petrol & diesel) are as good as Honda/Toyota. If that is not the case, we'll never ever see the geriatric Fiats even today !!!
Most of the priemier cars have thier engines redone.. coming to todays fiats my Palio 1.2 is coming close to 75000k and i feel its more lively now..

but i saw a Palios engine being rebuilt at a workshop, its odo showing some 86300k.. when i enquired the mechanic told that was consuming too much oil and emiting smoke.. made me think what could have possiblly happened as engine being opened at just 86000k.

can anyone tell me whats the approx. life of a Fiat 1.2 engine...
Old 1st January 2007, 21:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It would be difficult to guess a figure just by looking at the engine, an expert could give you a ball-park figure by driving her but it would be an estimation. A well-driven & properly serviced engine can fool even the best of experts since it's life is enhanced by the proper care taken of it. A poorly maintained engine can also go wrong with very low mileage on the clock.

Again depends on the usage & driving conditions. My OHC clutch has done 124k & is still going strong whereas some people have experienced failure even at 40k. Depending on usage the replacement time varies vastly.

Thanks for the reply Raghav!!
Actually i bought an 2000 OHC last year which showed 40K on the odo,but now i guess the odo was manipulated.... so i am just wondering how much had it originally run?? It was a company car.Now that it has logget to 60K the clutch has started to fade a little but still workable.Just guessing the engine health!! How much of good working life one can expect.?? Any guesses??
Regards
Spark.
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Now that it has logget to 60K the clutch has started to fade a little but still workable.Just guessing the engine health!! How much of good working life one can expect.?? Any guesses??
Honda engines are generally very reliable. In the OHC here are a few examples known to me personally:

OHC 1.3 - 175k still running fine.
OHC 1.5 - 155k still running fine.
OHC VTEC - 125k still running great (belongs to me!)

So given proper & regular sericing you have nothing to fear till 150-200k atleast. Of course there can be instances of freak failures due to poor maintainance but generally the engines are pretty tough.
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

@spark...normally clutch will wear out at approximately 70-80K, i am not sure about honda, iraghava could help you there. you can visit any of the Honda service centres and ask for the history of your car. they will let you know exactly when this car was serviced & at what kms.
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:29   #51

It doesn't matter if the car is running fine, the thing is; is the car's fuel average same and consistent, what about the sound of engine....etc...the car may be clocking 100k's of kms but point to ponder is ..... Whether ur cars engine is in healthy shape........

I think the estimated (from company) life of normal car engine is 100K kms, some cars do have their engine life around 500K kms like Mercs....Company recommends overhauling of engine after that.......
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipul.Sharma View Post
I think the estimated (from company) life of normal car engine is 100K kms, some cars do have their engine life around 500K kms like Mercs....Company recommends overhauling of engine after that.......
Why only 100K. There is no reason that a well maintained engine should work perfectly fine for more than 100K. Even badly maintained indicabs do 150K before requiring an overhaul due to engine eating oil.
An engine which has had its oil changes regularly and is serviced regularly will be in optimum running condition even beyond 100K. Badly maintained engines can go bad aroiund 80-90K
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:43   #53
BHPian

I have seen many Toytota Avensis taxis in UK with odometer reading over 400,000 miles - in fact one had it 440,000 miles! [that's an amazing over 700,000 km]. These cabbies say that these cars are expected to run till 500,000 miles without a serious problem!

Honda, Toyota, Mazda - 200,000 km is just nothing to them!!!
Old 2nd January 2007, 16:36   #54

What u r saying is ok....but cannot be accepted as a general fact..........what company says is for mass and for general
Old 2nd January 2007, 18:07   #55
Team-BHP Support

Can you cite your sources? Which company says their engines will last only 100K kms? Any documents released by companies? Please back your arguments with facts
Old 2nd January 2007, 19:32   #56
Max
BHPian

my OHC which i sold 2 years back done 50k and engine was running like brand new. No problems at all. I know the current owner and engine still runs very smooth without any maintenance. I think now it has covered 60k (current owner do not run his car much).
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:25   #57
BHPian

The Toyota Camry (taxis) running in the UAE have all clocked 500000 km and every single car runs trouble free, starts up in the first crank, is smooth and no vibrations and also picks up decent speed.You know how they handle these cars there..I gues theres a lot witht he fuel in the cars as well especially the octane content and unadulterated fuel available there.
Any Ideas what shall be expected from the little ESTEEM???
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Most of the priemier cars have thier engines redone.. coming to todays fiats my Palio 1.2 is coming close to 75000k and i feel its more lively now..

but i saw a Palios engine being rebuilt at a workshop, its odo showing some 86300k.. when i enquired the mechanic told that was consuming too much oil and emiting smoke.. made me think what could have possiblly happened as engine being opened at just 86000k.

can anyone tell me whats the approx. life of a Fiat 1.2 engine...
I use a Fiat Siena 1.7 TD and I have clocked 110000 so far, the diesel engine is still smooth and as good as it was when it had done 20k Kms. I still get 11-12Km/l. My FASP says the engine will run 2.5 lakh KM in Indian conditions. So my guess is Fiat petrol engine should do even more than that.
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

A coolcab Indica on the Mumbai-Pune had clocked 270K and going strong!
Old 3rd January 2007, 13:09   #60
BHPian

What I've heard is 200,000 Kms is what you can expect on an average from a Honda or a Toyota for Indian conditions; so on an average if some one drives his/her car for 20,000 Kms per year then it's around 10 years It's like buying an opportunity to get another car 10 years down. Off course depends on how the engine is maintained, like oil change every 5000 Kms, Oil and Fuel filter change, cleaning the piston rings every 50,000 Kms etc…

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks