Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 22:29   #46
BANNED

TNG pads cost about Rs.750 , i couldnt remember the exact price but +/- 50. But as others said Rane, TVS girling are better ones, me too have asked for Rane or TVS, but in the spares shop, where i bought, they had only Sumitomo OE and TNG brand.
Old 10th August 2009, 01:16   #47
BHPian

Ooops, I found one wheel on my santro is giving braking creeps.
Done 35k KM in 3+ yrs.

Can someone please suggest good brake pads.
Old 10th August 2009, 08:40   #48
BANNED

Go for OE, if not available or cost matters, then go for Rane , TVS girling (but TVS has two qualities, go for better one which might be costlier than other)

Dont go for cheap imported unbranded or unknown ones.
Old 10th August 2009, 10:14   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
No question of glazing ..! All pads OEM or Aftermarket are roughend with Sandpaper before being installed..! + Even if they are not a few spins will rough them
I know this abominable practice is unfortunately quite common The pad (or shoe) surfaces should never be sanded with sand or emery paper. You risk picking up the grit on the lining and then damaging the system for a long time.

If the replacement pads were metallic (longer life) then the squeal is more likely. Also, the discs should have been honed/faced before replacing the pads. Was this done?
Old 10th August 2009, 11:52   #50
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I know this abominable practice is unfortunately quite common The pad (or shoe) surfaces should never be sanded with sand or emery paper. You risk picking up the grit on the lining and then damaging the system for a long time.
sgiitk,

Sanding down or cleaning the pad surfaces with emry paper is common in most MASS. However, I have seen that the mechanics blow a shot of highly compressed air for a minute or so over the pads before they are put back into the calipers. Does this clear the pads of any grit?

If this process is not advisable, then what is the best way to get the pads and shoes cleaned? Am nearing the 20k kms service on my Alto and will be needing a thorough cleaning of the front pads.

Will be keen to have your inputs.

Thanks in advance,
gpa
Old 10th August 2009, 17:14   #51
BHPian

One reason for the screeching sound could also be water. It usually happens in rainy days when you drive your car a few hours after a drive on wet roads. The metal of the pads gets rusted because of the water. There might be water getting into the pads when the car is washed.
Old 24th October 2009, 13:27   #52

Optra Break Pad Issue

Hi,

I have got new break pads for my optra (not from GM A.S.S) and since then it is giving me that screeching sound, showed it to the mechanic and he replaced the pads, stating that they were faulty but the other set is also giving me similar problem ....initially for couple of hundred KM there were ok but then again now I get that sound..specially at high speed braking.
Can someone help please..
Regards
Shantnu
Old 25th October 2009, 19:51   #53

Screeching sound....

i hav experienced this sound in my bike. bajaj pulsar 150. i dismantled the brake pad.. and i noticed metal filling on the brake pad. and so i removed it using emery sheet. and after few months i noticed the problem again.. can anyone help me out????
Old 26th October 2009, 13:25   #54

What brakepads are recommended for Optra 1.6, apart from OEM?
Old 26th October 2009, 14:10   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantnusharma View Post
Hi,

I have got new break pads for my optra (not from GM A.S.S) and since then it is giving me that screeching sound, showed it to the mechanic and he replaced the pads, stating that they were faulty but the other set is also giving me similar problem ....initially for couple of hundred KM there were ok but then again now I get that sound..specially at high speed braking.
Can someone help please..
Regards
Shantnu
In 90% of the cases the squealing noise after change of pads is caused due to lack of greasing. When pads are changed always remember to apply grease to pad outer surfaces and other moving parts of the brake system i.e caliper etc.,

Last edited by novice : 26th October 2009 at 14:13.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:57   #56

kool, so will take my car to the mechanic this weekend and will ask him to apply grease on caliper... and will let you know if the problem is resolved..
Thanks !
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantnusharma View Post
kool, so will take my car to the mechanic this weekend and will ask him to apply grease on caliper... and will let you know if the problem is resolved..
Thanks !
also to the pad outer surface...
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:26   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
sgiitk,

Sanding down or cleaning the pad surfaces with emry paper is common in most MASS. However, I have seen that the mechanics blow a shot of highly compressed air for a minute or so over the pads before they are put back into the calipers. Does this clear the pads of any grit?
using Sandpaper and/or Emery is a BIG NO-NO, but is a widespread practice. if they must then let them use a file. This was there will be no embedded grit. I have forced the jokers to skip the emery/sandpaper bit.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure I have read/heard any auto company recommending applying grease of the brake pads either on disk contact surface or otherwise. One should apply grease only on the caliper pin and that is it.

Screeching sound on a new pad is generally there as the outer pad surface is slightly harder material compared to the rest and till the time the pad sets on the disk. In your case shantnu, I feel that the pad material is not right. The best Brake Pads in India are generally made by TVS Girling so I suggest you use them, unless you get GM authorised spares from the stockist/A.S.S directly.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:34   #60
Senior - BHPian

Had this problem in my new Spark. The dealership guys opened up the calipers and did brake bleeding and rubbing with sand paper. This did not help. The other dealership applied grease, not sure where, but the problem is now solved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks