Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2006, 00:30   #1
BHPian

Brake Pads "cheen-cheen" Screeching Sound While Braking

My accent has been making a "cheen-cheen" noise on braking for a few months now, and everytime I have taken the car to a service station, they have tried something new (ranging from replacing some 'pins' to cleaning the pads with sandpaper, to repolishing the brake disc). But every time the noise comes back after 2-3 days.

Most (hyundai-authorized) mechanics I have shown it to say that this noise is because the new brake pads which were put in (in Jan this year) were locally made, and not authentic Hyundai parts (which is true).

Any advice, or do I have to hear this darn noise till it irritates me to the level where I am willing to shell out Rs. 1800 to change the pads again?!?

(p.s. the "cheen-cheen" noise sometimes comes even while driving normally on an even road while not braking)
Old 18th October 2006, 00:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Usually, this noise is caused due to the dust that accumalates on the disc and sometimes inside the cover of a drum brake. I remember when working in a garage, this noise usually disappears once the disc / drums are cleaned.

Last edited by Stratos : 21st October 2006 at 03:24.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:17   #3
BHPian

What brand of the After Market Brake pads did u purchase, I had a friends ikon do this when he went for brake pads from SK auto, Suggest you get another pair like RANE or Auto clutch which in my opinion are the one of the best available OEM after markets.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

hyundai's haev this metalic sound when its time to change pads . and u got your pads polished??? can someone explain that...polishing thing
Old 19th October 2006, 03:16   #5
BHPian

@wolfinstein: I don't know what brand it was since the driver went and got them changed (mistake, I know).

@strratos: The sound did immediately go after the guy cleaned it superficially, but then it came back in a matter of half an hour or so.... it would be too tedious to have to clean the pads everyday!!! Is there some kind of solution I can clean them with, so as to prolong the "cleanliness" of the pads?

@jkdas: The pads are definitely not worn anywhere near that warranting replacement. And the Brake disc was polished, not the pads (I believe the brake disc is also known as the brake drum or something like that, and polishing is also called rotating AFAIK).
Old 19th October 2006, 08:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite sure its your pads. They must be much harder than the OE. Change them.
When the brakes are "cleaned", they are not theoretically cleaned. They would have become so smooth that they need to be roughened with sandpaper.
The sound happens because 2 really smooth surfaces are coming in contact with each other, ever so lightly.
@JKDas: "Polishing your discs" are to make them even again. They are not really polished but made true on a lathe.

Last edited by jyobeb : 19th October 2006 at 09:05.
Old 19th October 2006, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Brake Pads Clean Clean, please.
Old 19th October 2006, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Veb - I don't know what brand pads you have used but yes the service stations analysis is correct. On one of our cars we had once tried using KBX (Kalyani earlier, now bought out by Bosch) pads and the major problem with them was the screeching noise. It started coming literally within the first week of installation.

At the last Auto Expo I had a long chat about this with a senior person at Bosch and he accepted that there was a manufacturing problem & agreed to give me a new set free of cost but specifically mentioned that it might not solve the noise issue. His reasoning behind this was that they were targeting the lower end of the amrket (taxis, CV's etc.) and hence noise made no difference to those customers. But when they were fitted to higher-end cars it was a problem. They were looking to rectify this in the future but he did not specify a time frame.

My advice to you would be to put up with the noise for the time being and once the pads get worn out replace them with OEM ones. Anyways Hyundai pads are pretty reasonably priced unlike Honda! And yes if you do scout around in the market you can get OEM pads at some good shops for about 25-40% discount to service station prices.

P.S. Since you're in Delhi PM/Email me & I'll tell you a few good sources where you can source OEM stuff for a discount.

Last edited by iraghava : 19th October 2006 at 12:19.
Old 19th October 2006, 14:29   #9

noise from brake pads can come due to various reasons and of which some have been worked also. The doubt is that have the guys done a quality job. However if the noise is coming on normal road while not braking the source of sound can be from some place else other than brakes also and if that is not looked into or we are targeting at the wrong place. If we assume its from brakes and noise is always coming then we need to look at the caliper assembly
Old 19th October 2006, 16:29   #10
BHPian

Aftermarket pads in BLR?

I face the same problem after about 20 mins of driving due to the built-up heat and dust on my pads and rotors....worse, I get squeals AND groans from my front discs (car: Ikon 1.6)

Is anyone around that can point me in the right direction for getting a good/performance set of aftermarket pads for an Ikon? I've talked to the folks at N1,Viper, Speedworks, etc. (and their dealers for good measure), to no real avail. I'll give Jignesh (Viper) credit for at least mentioning that he has done brake upgrades on Ikons before, but he's a state away!

I COULD go for Ford's OEs, but a performance set would be better.
Old 19th October 2006, 22:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

another reason of the noise is that there is a metal strip attached to the pad. when the brake pad is worn out the metal strip starts touching the disc when the brake is applied or even then when the brake is not applied when the pad is worn out more.....it for the indication of worn out brake pad.....

check out that the pad has worn out or not.....
Old 21st October 2006, 00:00   #12
BHPian

Just confirmed it right now - there is a "cheen-cheen-cheen-cheen" noise that is coming from the general area of the front tyre(s) while driving even when not applying the brakes AND the brake pads are not worn out. This noise does not come all the time, and is more pronounced at lower speeds.

What could this be?
Old 21st October 2006, 01:25   #13

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

it could be that the afermarket brake pads are thicker than the oem pads and are constantly rubbing against the disc.
Old 21st October 2006, 10:28   #14
BHPian

@ vez..try RANE OEM brake pads and system, good replacement for my Lancers Sumi Tomo Brake set.

@ Veb..If the brake pads are not worn out that much, things will improve after a 1000+ KM on the new pads..! Since they will adjust better. I agree with hellspawn..the brake pads might be thicker and so with use they will adjust better..!

Is the tyre groove all clear, could be a small stone in the groove..! The sound is generally noticeable at lower speeds and is more of clik clik clik rather than Cheen Cheen- which is sounding like something Mettallic..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 21st October 2006 at 10:33.
Old 22nd October 2006, 01:36   #15
BHPian

wolfinstein, the pads are actually kind of old at this point... at the very least I am sure they have done 1000km - most probably 2 or 3 times that figure! But they are not worn out at all in the sense that would require replacement.

I don't think it's a stone problem, since the sound is a metallic "cheen-cheen" and the tyre and brake pads have been opened up 3-4 times on various visits to the mechanics to determine the cause of this problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks