Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:09   #16
BHPian

my Zens done 92K on the 1st clutch... (and counting)... altho the clutch has become hard...theres no slippage as such..

as most of them said, a worn clutch will "slip", meaning, ur engine speed will rise faster than ur car's pace.
Old 4th November 2006, 08:17   #17
BMW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_tuner
my Zens done 92K on the 1st clutch... (and counting)... altho the clutch has become hard...theres no slippage as such.
Ditto is the case here. Done over 100k and still on the original clutch.. Its a 97 model Zen.
Old 4th November 2006, 18:05   #18
BANNED

Hi,

It is difficult to give correct advice without seeing the car and symptons.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saajan_20
this thread being dedicated 2 cltuch wear
i shall post my query here
can the 20k overhaul be delayed and clutch softened ?
regards
saajan
Old 4th November 2006, 18:34   #19
BHPian

hey guys, some days ago my car just refused to go in gear.....there was no feel from the clutch...

the mechanic told me that brake oil was less and he filled up brake oil and them pumped the clutch to remove some 'air' from the lines.....

it worked......but 2 days later again the same problem....

what could it be ????

also, when the car used to work....
when i would leave the accelerator while in second gear the car used to give a big jerk......is tht a sign of clutch wear ???

btw...its a palio
Old 4th November 2006, 20:53   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777
hey guys, some days ago my car just refused to go in gear.....there was no feel from the clutch...

the mechanic told me that brake oil was less and he filled up brake oil and them pumped the clutch to remove some 'air' from the lines.....

it worked......but 2 days later again the same problem....

what could it be ????

also, when the car used to work....
when i would leave the accelerator while in second gear the car used to give a big jerk......is tht a sign of clutch wear ???

btw...its a palio

Hi,

You probably got a leaky oil seal in the clutch cylinder. Dont think it is anything major.

Viper
Old 4th November 2006, 22:57   #21
BHPian

getting ur clutch done at 25k is waste and where as about the jerking thing in the 1st and 2nd gears could be due to the spark plug injectors also
Old 6th November 2006, 12:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Rahul

i go through one of the busiest subways in my city & i too have the same problem. sometimes it takes 20minutes just to get to the other side. in these circumstances, it is better to use your handbrake & wait till you get sufficient space in front of you & then move your car instead of having to move it as soon as the one in front moves. of course you will lose valuable minutes because of the darters who try to get in front, but that will save a lot of trouble for you in the near future.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2006, 12:42   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a santro before and did 35K and never had any problems with the clutch and I am sure could have done another 30K on the same without any problems.

Driving style makes a lot of difference, like all said, i practise using the handbrake on gradients instead of riding the clutch. Your pockets will thank you in the long run

Regarding your current problem, check with 2-3 mechanics before replacing them
Old 13th November 2006, 13:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

My Daewoo Matiz blew its first clutch plate at 110,000 kms, and I did a preventive maintenance job and chnaged the second clutch plate after the next 90,000 kms. Clutch plate wear is entirely a function of driving habits. Unfortunately, I understand that there is no proper diagnostic for clutch wear other than dismantling the clutch plate itself (although my Matiz guy used to use the cable position as a referenc epoint to judge wear. If your car has crossed 90,000 kms, I think it is better to change.

My present Scorpio has done 88,000 kms and is on its first clutch plate without any signs of wear, but one starts becoming apprehensive - a clutch breakdown is not a pleasant experience especially on busy city roads or on mountain highway roads.

In case you feel uncomfortable about the clutch, please have the clutch pedal cable checked - it gathers dirt making pedal action difficult (especially after rainy season when the pedal end can get encrusted with mud, etc). Replacing the clutch pedal cable is definitely a cheaper option.
Old 19th December 2006, 22:02   #25
BHPian

guys i face the similar symptoms in my santro ... its done 28000 kms ....
for the jerking i release the clutch in the first gear very slow ... compared to driving other car alto ...
wanted to see the problem for past 500kms but still didn't check it
will there be serious problems
also does anyone know how to slip the clutch???
Old 20th December 2006, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
put the car in 1st gear and then slowly release the clutch, completely, and at the same time slowly depressing the accelerator (very very little). you will reach a point where the car's engine is acting like a brake without stalling... normally for the slow crawls do not use the accelerator or the clutch and remain on 1st gear. the car will keep rolling. in my case i have found this cuts down the half clutch requirement to barely 10% or even less... try it out.
Zappo
Does this work on an incline as well, Not too sure since the retardation from the incline will limit the speed and hence stall the engine.
Then you are back to square one you either ride on clutch or the brakes
Old 20th December 2006, 12:59   #27
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayuin2004 View Post
getting ur clutch done at 25k is waste and where as about the jerking thing in the 1st and 2nd gears could be due to the spark plug injectors also
My Santro, which has done 40000 kms now, also jerks at times in first/reverse gears when releasing the clutch. I noticed that this happens only after going through a slow crawl with frequent operation of the clutch, often not releasing it fully. Once I have driven the car for a while in a clear stretch with proper operation of the clutch, the jerking disappears. So presumably the ECU needs some time to make the proper adjustment.

Last edited by rks : 20th December 2006 at 13:00.
Old 20th December 2006, 16:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
By the way the car has about 24000 kms on its odometer and is mostly driven by drivers.
Did your drivers name start with an 'A' and end with a 'Y'.If so,then a fried clutch is possible even at 15-25k on the odo
Old 20th December 2006, 16:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Did your drivers name start with an 'A' and end with a 'Y'.If so,then a fried clutch is possible even at 15-25k on the odo
HeHe, you will not believe it, but there have been drivers whose names started with A and till Y, I have actually lost track of the number of drivers we've had. Most of them last a month and quit, they say they can't sit in one place all day.
Old 20th December 2006, 17:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
HeHe, you will not believe it, but there have been drivers whose names started with A and till Y, I have actually lost track of the number of drivers we've had. Most of them last a month and quit, they say they can't sit in one place all day.
i think you got me wrong here buddy!I was talking about a bangy t-bhpian who fried the clutches on two of the balenos (namely,mclarens and memos).

im gonna get my A$$ kicked for this!

Last edited by binz : 20th December 2006 at 17:05.

Most Viewed