Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 15:02   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post
hey vivek u r from gurgaon.. i m sure u r very well aware of metropolitan peak hour traffic.. and i m sure some times u must b shifting to 1st gear on roads than keeping ur car in 2nd gear and puttin more stress on ur clutch ( practically half clutch driving)... and if u r not... then i think u must start afresh .. erasing ur previous driving style... no offence.. just a reply and frank thought.
hey guysthnks.. i ll chek it rite away and ll get back to u with the problemsolution... thnks
I do not know what to say.
Only think I can say that I have been in Delhi for last 16 years and driving the car for last 14 years. Point to be noted

1. Last car (ZEN 99) sold at 80xxx KM on OD without clutch work (does not speak itself some thing????)

2. I have been using baleno for last 26 months and done about 35xxx KM and there is no sign of any broblem with the clutch.

Whatever I said was based on my experience only. rest is up to you.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

For the past few months, my WagonR's mileage has come down to 12 kmpl in city driving, with 30% AC. Earlier, I used to get around 14 in winter months.
Not sure if it is due to clutch wear, or my son's style of driving---yes, he has learnt driving a few months ago.
But when I am stationary and press the clutch, the engine sound changes slightly. The same sound comes when I press the clutch while driving.
Any clues, dudes??
Old 15th November 2007, 16:11   #78
BHPian

change in engine revs is suggestive of clutch problems.. get it checked!
Old 15th November 2007, 16:27   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the sound might change: when stationery in neutral and clutch engaged, you are driving the drive side of the gearbox. I don't know that the engine revs should drop noticeably (like when turning on AC).

Clutches are not really consumer items. I recall clutch failure happening to my mum once. That would have been in about 1968.
Old 15th November 2007, 16:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadoos baby View Post
change in engine revs is suggestive of clutch problems.. get it checked!
I don't think the engine revs are changing, but only a slight variation in the sound to something a wee bit shriller.
Old 15th November 2007, 23:45   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes... different mechanical stuff is happening.

I think my Swift may have a tiny increase in revs, but I'm afraid I forgot to think about after I got stuck behind two cows turning out onto the ECR near my house tonight...

I will try to remember another day.
Old 16th November 2007, 00:01   #82
Senior - BHPian

Nick, Clutches are consumables.
Old 16th November 2007, 00:03   #83
BHPian

Guys even i am joining this bandwagon..But can mumbai guys quote me the approximate rate of getting the complete clutch assembly replaced for the Santro 2000 model?

Niki
Old 16th November 2007, 00:41   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Nick, Clutches are consumables.
I mean it when I say that the last friend/relative I remember having to have one replaced was nearly 40 years ago!

Ah... you mean consumables... Yes, consuming them is an option.

When my parents learned to drive, clutches were probably rationed or something: they made them last.

And I hope I've picked up similar habits. As I now own the first Manual car I've driven for a while, time will tell...
Old 16th November 2007, 02:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Point to be noted

1. Last car (ZEN 99) sold at 80xxx KM on OD without clutch work (does not speak itself some thing????)

2. I have been using baleno for last 26 months and done about 35xxx KM and there is no sign of any broblem with the clutch.

Whatever I said was based on my experience only. rest is up to you.
Well here's the analysis for my current cars:

1. OHC VTEC: Clutch changed at 1.4 lac kms. only because the whole suspension was being repalced & we wanted to save on labour & time which was going to happen some time or the other. Mind you, the clutch was still going strong.

2. Santro - Mum's car still going strong with around 1L kms on the odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikibusa View Post
Guys even i am joining this bandwagon..But can mumbai guys quote me the approximate rate of getting the complete clutch assembly replaced for the Santro 2000 model?
Should be around 3.5-4k for all three items.

Last edited by iraghava : 16th November 2007 at 02:27.
Old 16th November 2007, 03:31   #86
BHPian

Thanks a ton Ishan.But does this cost include the labour and all?Sorry to bother you..& is this the price of the Autohorised Service Station or from a local garage?

Niki.
Old 16th November 2007, 12:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Should be around 3.5-4k for all three items.
But service centre (Noida Sector 63) rate is 6300 (Including labour). Are you quoting out side *** rate?

I just come to know this rate, 10 days back when one of my relative got it changed at 27K on OD in his Sentro eRlx (2005 August).
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:33   #88

clutch wear out in 200 Km ?!

One of my friend bough a Santro few weeks back and has run just 200 km. Already he is facing issues with the clutch.

-The RPM is unstable especially when the clutch is depressed.
-There is excessive vibration during reversing.
-Not enough power in lower gears (engine revs up but the car doesn't move fast enough).
-He said he also noticed a burning smell few times.

1. Is this the indication of clutch wear-out? Can the clutch of a brand-new car wear out so quickly (200 Km ) - how much ever bad the driving may be ? I've observed his driving and it is pretty bad. He rides on the clutch very often.

2. What should he do now? I've suggested him to avoid driving the car until the issue gets resolved. How should he approach the service center?

3. Is the clutch wear out covered under warranty? Though normal wear & tear is not covered, a clutch-wear-out in 200 km is definitely not normal !

4. How much would it cost him if at all this is not covered under warranty?

5. Or is this related to something entirely different and requires just some minor fixes (this is what he is hoping!)

He has learnt driving very recently and is a novice in terms of car-technicalities. I've promised him to help out as much as possible. Any guidance from this avenue is highly appreciated.

Thanks much!
Old 22nd January 2008, 17:26   #89
BHPian

@k2_4_u - Looks like your friend was riding his clutch & has burnt the plate. He should go & speak to the person in-charge of the dealer's workshop. With luck, the car may get repaired under warranty. While the repairs are going on, ask your friend to polish up his driving skills. No way they'll do it again under warranty.
Old 27th January 2008, 11:05   #90
BHPian

Palio 1.9D Clutch Problems !!

Dear Fellas,

My 2003 Palio 1.9D has 51K on the odo, recently i started facing problems during clutch release. The clutch would get jammed on the floor and after pumping it 2-3 times it gets released. The gear-shift refuses to budge during the time when the clutch is floored.

Also, after doing my research on this thread, i realized that i also get the judder on the 1st gear, Initially i disregarded it due to the torque factor of the 1.9D engine, but now i am having second thoughts. I am also getting some noise/ vibes in the 2nd and the 4th gear, is it because of the clutch only or does it also mean that my gear-box is having a problem.

Its worth mentioning that last month, when i was fixing the oil-leak with a mechanic, he also did some external adjustment to prevent something from touching the gear-box, something that i could not really understand. A point note-worthy here is that i did not have any clutch problems before this adjustment.

Yesterday, I went with our good friend Satish Appasani to one of his mechanic to take a second opinion and after taking a small-test ride, the mechanic asked to replace both the clutch cylinders and refill the brake-fluids, something that would cost around Rs 4000/- He did not even do a detailed investigation of the problem.

I am just trying to understand, if i am being fleeced for money. I live in Banjara-hills in Hyderabad and who-ever knows the area is also probably aware of the steep inclines and the heavy traffic woes in this part of the city.

I've heard good things about AutoFin service for Fiat vehicles in Hyderabad, but their phone-lines are almost always busy and one has to take a prior appointment to service the vehicle. Please help.

I bought this pre-owned vehicle about 5 months back and its worth mentioning that i am getting very good mileage out of this vehicle about 18KMPL on highways and 13.5 in the city.

Last edited by man23ish : 27th January 2008 at 11:12.

Most Viewed