Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 09:35   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
How much does it do 120 at ? mine does it at around 2900.
Did not check 120 yet. I will check it tomorrow while travelling to office, and post it.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:11   #212
BHPian

On my old baleno clutch pedal is very hard to press, sometime in bumper to bumper traffic where one has to press the clutch often , my leg muscles ache! Moreover in first or second gear sometime the car feels as if missing the beat(repeated jerky forward movement) particularly when i am only pressing the accelerator just a little, as if it wants to be revved harder. The problem goes when i press the accelerator. Mileage is Ok around 12 with AC. Car picks up speed well after 1200-1500 rpm and around 85 kmph in fifth gear rpm is around 2000.

What could be the issue? Is clutch showing signs of wear. Is baleno clutch hard by design and if not then what is to done to set it right?

Last edited by rock75 : 20th October 2010 at 10:25.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:16   #213
Senior - BHPian

Our Indigo LS (May 2004) Non-Dicor has covered 2,07,000+ kms.
I had replaced the Clutch Assembly (Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, York, Clutch Release Bearing, etc) at 1,43,000+kms.

For past 200-300kms, 1st, 2nd, and Reverse Gears sometimes refuse to get engage. But 3rd, 4th and 5th Gears can be engaged.
This problem does not occur often. Only Seldom.

I have shown to a known mechanic. He says that Pressure Plate has got damaged. Replace the pressure plate (along with clutch plate as well).

I am sure that this is not related to pressure plate. (I dont think pressure plate has got damaged).

Whether changing clutch cable solve this problem?

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 8th November 2010 at 18:17. Reason: Changed word sequence.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:21   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
For past 200-300kms, 1st, 2nd, and Reverse Gears sometimes refuse to get engage. But 3rd, 4th and 5th Gears can be engaged.

I have shown to a known mechanic. He says that Pressure Plate has got damaged. Replace the pressure plate (along with clutch plate as well).
It seems likely that the mechanic's diagnosis is correct. If engaging gears is difficult, but only seldom, then there is nothing else but the clutch (and gearbox).

If the gears are slotting ok at times, then the gearbox is ok.

Others, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 18th November 2010, 17:11   #215
Senior - BHPian

I dont remember correctly whether this problem occurs only when the Vehicle has run a lot or otherwise. I will check and post here. Also I did not check the Oil Level. I will do and report.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:44   #216
BHPian

re: About clutch wear & replacement

My Wagon R 2007 Vxi with 22K on the odo has been having some clutch related problems for the last 5 months. Changed the clutch cable some 4 months back and then last week reversing out of my office parking it would not engage reverse. I took it to a MASS Mahalakshmi in Mundhwa and the did a bit of adjustment and said the clutch needs replacement. The quote is as follows:

Clutch and Pressure Plate Rs 2000/-
Release Bearing Rs 1700/-
Clutch Cable Rs 250/-
labour Rs 1400/-

Do these prices look ok. Please advice.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:27   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
My Wagon R 2007 Vxi with 22K on the odo has been having some clutch related problems for the last 5 months. Changed the clutch cable some 4 months back and then last week reversing out of my office parking it would not engage reverse. I took it to a MASS Mahalakshmi in Mundhwa and the did a bit of adjustment and said the clutch needs replacement. The quote is as follows:

Clutch and Pressure Plate Rs 2000/-
Release Bearing Rs 1700/-
Clutch Cable Rs 250/-
labour Rs 1400/-

Do these prices look ok. Please advice.
Price is ok except the labour. 22K and clutch needs to be replaced? something seriously wrong with your driving style mate. You have fried the plate too soon.
Old 18th January 2011, 21:49   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Price is ok except the labour. 22K and clutch needs to be replaced? something seriously wrong with your driving style mate. You have fried the plate too soon.
Well its not my driving style, someone in the family used to learn driving on it and thus the damage i guess. The car still is driving fine after the adjustment , but since it my daily drive now I rather get it done then after a couple more months.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:44   #219
BHPian

I've covered 74K in 5 years and on my most recent highway trip doing a steady 120; started noticing burnt metal smell inside the cabin.
Does this signal the end of the clutch's useful life.
The car I drive is 1.6 Ikon.
Old 19th January 2011, 09:49   #220
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some help w.r.t a Santro. It's my dad's car & the clutch pedal though soft, comes back or literally bounces back. It's easier to depress it but then when you have to lift your foot slowly, it seems as if there's a strong spring & feels as if it's gonna bounce back too strongly.

Drive safe.
Old 19th January 2011, 13:57   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Is this happening first thing in the morning when you start driving the car? If yes then you would have to change the clutch fluid and bleed the clutch fluid(I am assuming the clutch is hydraulic here. I have faced similar problem in my swift and bleeding helped here).

Another area to investigate is the flywheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
I've covered 74K in 5 years and on my most recent highway trip doing a steady 120; started noticing burnt metal smell inside the cabin.
Does this signal the end of the clutch's useful life.
The car I drive is 1.6 Ikon.
Burnt smell doesn't mean anything. If one ofthe following is true then you have a clutch problem -

1. Has the RPM of the car increased recently for the same speed?
2. Does your car judder in 1st and second gears always.
3.Does your car face any problem climbing a steep slope.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:52   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Burnt smell doesn't mean anything. If one ofthe following is true then you have a clutch problem - ....................................
Hey thanks DieselFan.. here's my inference.
1. Has the RPM of the car increased recently for the same speed?
Avi: Not right now; but I've had cases of the RPM going to 4K without depressing the pedal and not reducing @ 4K for a few minutes; this again used to be too rare and used to get sorted by itself, so haven't been able to show the Service guys this problem.. not an issue right now though
2. Does your car judder in 1st and second gears always.
Avi: Yes, most of the time... but again I heard this from the service guys if the clutch is worn-out or due for replacement it would be hard to touch 100KMPH let alone 130.
3. Does your car face any problem climbing a steep slope.
Avi: Haven't had this over the past few months... so can't really comment
Old 19th January 2011, 23:01   #223
Senior - BHPian

Our petrol Amby in the 70s did 124000 before the clutch was replaced. It was great during those period when manufacturing techniques and materials were not as of today.

I had clocked 70000km in my Falcon nee Vijai during late 80s without clutch discs replacement.
Old 19th January 2011, 23:16   #224
Senior - BHPian

I gave my Alto VX1.1 purchased from True Value in August 2009 for repairs at a non MASS workshop for steering damper replacement and the guy told me that the clutch would require replacement very soon and he even advised me to avoid long journeys. The reason, when asked, according to him is that the clutch biting point or engaging point is with the pedal much higher off the floor.

I am not convinced. The clutch was like this from my first day with this car (ie., since August 2009) and I clocked 15000 KM since then. And further MASS guys have not so far indicated this where I had given the car more than three times during this period..

Why I took the car to a non MASS joint again is a long story which I would post separately.

Is the contention of the non MASS guy correct?

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th January 2011 at 23:17.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:27   #225
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I am not convinced. The clutch was like this from my first day with this car (ie., since August 2009) and I clocked 15000 KM since then. And further MASS guys have not so far indicated this where I had given the car more than three times during this period
Classic case of the clutch scam

As long as your clutch isn't slipping (i.e. rpm rising disproportionately higher than the speedo), don't sweat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks