Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 16:26   #226
BHPian

re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
... The reason, when asked, according to him is that the clutch biting point or engaging point is with the pedal much higher off the floor.

I am not convinced... Is the contention of the non MASS guy correct?
No, if the reason alone is that the engaging point is higher from the floor then why not just loosen the clutch wire a bit? I am not sure of Alto but I think it won't have a hydraulic clutch in which case loosening the wire is a 30 sec job. I adjust it myself every year or so in my Santro.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:52   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
...The quote is as follows:

Clutch and Pressure Plate Rs 2000/-
Release Bearing Rs 1700/-
Clutch Cable Rs 250/-
labour Rs 1400/-

Do these prices look ok. Please advice.
WagnoR clutch release bearing costs only about Rs.600. Please see the MGP prices in this thread. Hope this helps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1965179
Old 20th January 2011, 21:48   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Classic case of the clutch scam

As long as your clutch isn't slipping (i.e. rpm rising disproportionately higher than the speedo), don't sweat.
Many Thanks Boss.
There is no clutch slipping at all. I was thinking of not doing any clutch overhaul and now with your piece of advise I would clock many more trouble free KMs.
Old 20th February 2011, 18:18   #229
BHPian

hi, need some help on a small issue, my wife started learning yo drive on our 2 year old i10. inadvertantly , she changed the gear from 2-3 at about 20kmph without pressing the clutch. it was a one time occurance in an otherwise trouble free and accident free car. now,i have started to find a slight bit of resistance (at times, not always) when i shift from any other gear to 1/2. is it because of the above incident? during these times, i have to release the clutch again and try a couple of times before it goes in to 1st/2nd gear. its a minor thing but sometimes happens in the middle of traffic. do i need to get it checked by the service center? i don't know their proficiency and certainly wouldn't want them messing around with my gearbox.
Old 20th February 2011, 18:32   #230
BHPian

have a small problem, am not sure if this is the right thread so mods please move it if it isn't.
my wife started her driving classes in our 2 year old i10. one day she shifted from 2nd gear to 3rd while at 20 kmph without pressing the clutch. now it may be me, but i have found a little bit of resistance while downshifting to 1st/2nd since then. this happens once in a while (not every time) but is very embarrassing when it happens in traffic. during such an occurance, i have to release the clutch,press it again and try again, sometimes it works and sometimes i have to do it the third time, can this phenomena be attributed to the above incident? whats the way out? i am reluctant to have a service centre guy fooling around with my gearbox. i have had no other issues with this car at any point in time. experts, please help.
Old 22nd February 2011, 00:45   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
E_L - The mileage varies as you mentioned due to driving patterns & there is really no standard life expectancy of these parts. For eg. the Clutch on my earlier Santro popped at 45k but the new one is running fine on the original clutch even at 73k!! Similarly my OHC VTEC is running fine on the original clutch at 120k!!

Luke - I would recommend you get a second opinion about the clutch from another trustworthy workshop. There have been a few instances of delaer's fiddling with the adjustment mechanism of the clutch to make it hard deliberately to make a quick buck.
But if the clutch is indeed worn out maybe you should consult an expert on driving techniques (fellow t-bhpian or otherwise) and make sure that you are not using the clutch in an incorrect manner.

+1 to that.

Last week when I took my car for a few adjustments, I met a swift owner who had run 14,990kms and needed a clutch replacement.

He said that its his wife's car.

I guess it boils down to how one drives and how congested the roads are.
Old 29th April 2012, 14:18   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

In my 2005 model, 99.6 K KMs Getz, when I depress the cluth there is a very faint whooshing sound (like air passing from an empty pipe). But when I take off my foot from clutch, the sounds gora away.

In the last service, the service advisor told me that clutch bearing is nearing it's end and I will have to replace it in the next service. Is this problem due to same, or can it be indicator of something else?

Please advice.

Cheers

Nitin

Hello guys,

Kindly excuse me in this front. I am quoting the same issue since I facing the same issue with my Getz 2005 currently, which has not been answered on the forums (this post spending almost 5 days on the forums).

I have purchased a 2nd hand 2005 getz. I purchased my Getz in 2009 when the odo read 12000 odd kms and paid a premium for it. Post all checks from Hyundai A**, it seemed genuine, and since I have had very less failure based maintenance, I have reason to believe that the odo was genuine. The current odo is at at 67,800 (ownership report with maintenance of Hyundai on that soon).

I require your help with the following issue:

About 2 weeks ago, my wife complained that there was some whooshing noise when she depressed the clutch to change the gears.

I then took it out for a test drive and recorded y observations as follows (the local mechanic was not able to diagnose the issue...I love this car being my first purchase and hence am paranoid ):

1. Whooshing noise when I slightly depress clutch. The noise however is non existent when I start from cold or engage the first gear.

2. When engine warms up to half way of optimal temp and there after, each time I change gears from 1-5 the whoosing noise appears when I slightly depress clutch and then appears only at the fag end of the depression stage.

3. No noise is heard when I change gears, however the "whooshing" goes up in noise when I rev up the engine in these two points. (The point where the clutch pedal is in motion...in the middle)

4. Kindly note that I can hear the noise only when clutch is depressed or released (at start of pressing and end, also at the time when the clutch pedal just about touched the metal and then again when just about I release my foot from the pedal). This is not a spring noise since a whooshing is heard at these times and it is not squeaky noise.

5. Also, there is no decrease in pickup however, since it is a city cruiser, I have not tested it on inclines,

Request you all to kindly provide feedback on the source of the issue and/or the likely cause of the issue and the ensuing repairs.

Mods,
I have spent considerable time on research and therefore believe that the issue I am currently facing is not answered. Therefore am posting/reviving such an old query.

Thanks again guys,

Riteshest
Old 16th October 2012, 16:36   #233
BHPian

My Santro (2009 Xing) has developed this weird problem. During gear shifting, the engine keeps revving but the car won't gain the momentum for sometime; feels like the clutch takes time to disengage even after I have taken the foot off the pedal (kind of like riding the clutch). Is it time to change the clutch? If so, what would be the approx cost? Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:38   #234
Senior - BHPian

There is a slight (very slight) grinding feeling on my friend's Brio's clutch- this is almost non existent to a normal driver who may not be that observant, however, to me its quite an irritating niggle. The car is a brand new one, and has just run 500 odd kms, with first service not done yet.

The feeling persists throughout the clutch travel, its like the clutch is grinding against something while being RELEASED slowly (not while depressing the clutch)- especially in first, second and reverse gears. There is no particular difficulty in changing gears, save for the slight notchiness (which is the normal one felt on new gearboxes before being run in).

On a quick release, the feeling is not even noticeable. Otherwise, there is no hardness while depressing the clutch or releasing it.

What could be the problem?? Is it a simple case of the clutch needing some lubrication?

Please advise!

MODS- have posted this in the Brio thread also, to know whether existing Brio owners have faced this issue. However, reposting my query in this technical issues thread.
Old 29th October 2012, 23:39   #235
gemi_kk

Guys!! Need help.

When i am trying to accelerate in 3/4/5 gears, the vehicle is not making much progress, however the RPM is shooting upto 4000 /5000 Levels.

Not sure whether it is a clutch wear or not. Tried searching for such problems however couldn't find any.

All gears are slotting in perfectly. Car is 6 years old and has done 38K.

This problem occurs only some times and during rest of the time, the car behaves normally. Is it something related to Clutch master / slave cylinders or throttle body?

I have read somewhere that some sensors might need some cleaning. Not sure which are those sensors. Please advice.

Old 30th October 2012, 12:30   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Guys!! Need help.

When i am trying to accelerate in 3/4/5 gears, the vehicle is not making much progress, however the RPM is shooting upto 4000 /5000 Levels..
38K kms is too early for a clutch change, unless you have been riding the clutch real bad.

I guess you drive a Palio 1.6?

Check the speed of the car in all gears at 2,000 & 4,000 RPM (after the car has warmed up) and keep a note of that.

in the mean time, check the Throttle body and see if that requires cleaning. A dirty throttle body / IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) will throw sticky RPM problem. Also check for cracks in the Air Intake pipe from the Air Filter box.
Old 6th November 2012, 20:57   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Is it time to change the clutch? If so, what would be the approx cost? Thanks in advance.
Thanks people, for all your replies. It was indeed clutch wear. Got it changed through a Bosch authorized center.

Clutch & pressure plate = 2400.
Labor = 1000.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 17:14   #238
BHPian

From the past couple of months I have this problem of my Alto's clutch pedal not travelling all the way to the floor smoothly. It gets stuck/stops when it travels about half way. It does produce a "cluck" noise and moves down. I feel as if a pebble is stuck in the pedal. Same thing occurs when it is released.

I noticed this a few days after giving my vehicle for service at Bimal's in Whitefield, Bangalore. I took it back to them and the person at service told that it was due to the "hook" near clutch which does that but was not an issue. He attributed it to the car washing during servicing and sprayed anti-rust spray. One day later the problem resurfaced.

I took it back to them and a different service guy took the vehicle for a short drive and told the same thing as before and the same anti-rust spraying was done. I asked him if the problem was with clutch wear but he replied it was not. He said if that was the case the vehicle's pickup would go down which was not the case.

For 15 days the issue was not there and the problem has resurfaced. I do not know what the issue is but I am scared as the clutch pedal does not get released 100% of late but I need to "pull it" - by a few millimeters - up with my toe.

The vehicle has done 25000 kms and is 5 years old.

Experts please help me know what might be wrong.
Old 29th January 2013, 17:41   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
From the past couple of months I have this problem of my Alto's clutch pedal not travelling all the way to the floor smoothly. It gets stuck/stops when it travels about half way. It does produce a "cluck" noise and moves down. I feel as if a pebble is stuck in the pedal. Same thing occurs when it is released...
Have you had the clutch cable checked. Worn out cable tunnel (not cable itself but the plastic housing in which cable moves) can be the reason. Also looking at the hooks, hinges, springs holding the cluch padel in place/ facilitating it's movement might be helpful.

Hope this helps.
Old 29th January 2013, 17:51   #240
Senior - BHPian

In my view the best,correct,simple way to check the worn,burnt out,slippage of clutch is.. In case of burnt clutch,one can smell it.To check the worn out clutch..pls engage the car in 4th gear,press the clutch,start the engine,release the clutch,now if the clutch plate is healthy ,the engine will stall and stops,but in case the clutch is worn out ,the car starts to roll.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks