Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2018, 14:08   #376
BHPian

Re: About clutch wear & replacement

is it possible to suffer clutch failure without the usual symptoms like juddering or lack of pickup. Could not slot my gear while driving to office today (happened a few mins after i started the car). And experienced clutch burning smell. The vehicle has been towed to A.S.S and am awaiting their diagnosis. The vehicle in question is XUV500 AWD and is 2 yrs old with 36K on odo- mix of highway and city driving.

No symptoms experienced like juddering etc.
Old 26th April 2018, 14:28   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
is it possible to suffer clutch failure without the usual symptoms like juddering or lack of pickup. Could not slot my gear while driving to office today (happened a few mins after i started the car). And experienced clutch burning smell. The vehicle has been towed to A.S.S and am awaiting their diagnosis. The vehicle in question is XUV500 AWD and is 2 yrs old with 36K on odo- mix of highway and city driving.

No symptoms experienced like juddering etc.

Yes, a clutch can fail without any of these system. Not slotting into gear is not necessarily an issue with the clutch plate perse. It is usually to do with the mechanical linkage, cable or otherwise or maybe the pressure plate.

The burning smell could be related to the fact that it did not fit into gear properly. So it really needs checking out. If you are lucky it is something relatively simple on the gear linkage/cable. If not then the gearbox needs to be removed for further investigation most likely.
Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 14:32   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Yes, a clutch can fail without any of these system. Not slotting into gear is not necessarily an issue with the clutch plate perse. It is usually to do with the mechanical linkage, cable or otherwise or maybe the pressure plate.

The burning smell could be related to the fact that it did not fit into gear properly. So it really needs checking out. If you are lucky it is something relatively simple on the gear linkage/cable. If not then the gearbox needs to be removed for further investigation most likely.
Good luck

Jeroen
They have opened the gear box and it looks like the clutch plate is worn out.
Old 26th April 2018, 14:39   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
They have opened the gear box and it looks like the clutch plate is worn out.
That in itself would not cause the problem with it not slotting into gear! Two very different things!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 14:41   #380
BHPian

Quote:
That in itself would not cause the problem with it not slotting into gear! Two very different things!

Jeroen
Ok, will ask them to investigate further
Old 26th April 2018, 16:32   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive a WagonR 1.0 which has done 61.5k kms. The transmission oil was changed while the ODO was 18k, 3 years ago. The next change is scheduled at 80k kms. The car is running on stock clutch. Once in a while, I find the following issues:

1. It is difficult to slot into 1st and 2nd. I can feel a resistance.

2. After crawling in traffic for some time in 1st, gear lever feels to be 'stuck' in the 1st gear. Some throttle or re-clutching and a firmer pull helps me move to N or 2nd.

3. False shift while moving to 3 or 4 (has happened 2-3 times in past 1 year).

These issues are rare and I haven't found a pattern to these. At all other times, the gearshifts are as smooth as expected of a WagonR. If I report to my FNG, he doesn't face this issue during his TD and brushes me off.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Note: I get shuddering in my car at low RPMs but this car is very famous for poor low end torque. The clutch pedal is soft and there is no slippage observed till now. Again, FNG says clutch is absolutely fine.
Old 29th April 2018, 11:04   #382
BHPian

I have a querry related to my clutch. In my new Safari Storme 400, initially I had to press hard for 1st gear to engage. After few kms it gets a bit smooth. Now my car is 5 months old and it has become a bit smooth but still not as other vehicles. I was told that 6 speed GB are a bit hard than its 5 speed counterpart. Is it normal or any issue ?

Secondly, from past 1 month I am feeling a vibration on my clutch pedal when depressed 1-2 inches. It is there during idling and also when gear is engaged. I have been told that there is an issue of clutch release bearing. Can anyone suggest what are the solutions for both my problems?

Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 13:29   #383
BANNED

I have a 2008 Hyundai Accent petrol. 97k kms done. It has a Hydraulic Clutch.

I am facing slight judder in 1st gear in slow speed, stop and go traffic.

Sometimes the reverse gear doesn't engage in one go.

At times I feel the clutch lever isn't depressing fully. I just "feel" it cant say if it actually happens.

I had the same problem at around 80K, got the clutch plate and pressure plate replaced (aftermarket parts) at an FNG.

I do not drive in rush hour traffic. Typical slow speed driving in NCR, noida etc. Yet the problem has reoccurred.

1. Where should I start the trouble shooting process? - Change Gear Oil and clutch cable 1st?

2. Would the master and slave cylinders nearing the end of life?
sinhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:27   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
1. Where should I start the trouble shooting process? - Change Gear Oil and clutch cable 1st?

2. Would the master and slave cylinders nearing the end of life?
Trouble shooting is not replacing something and see what happens. Try and do a proper diagnosis. So a very good visual inspection of the clutch cable and all it’s components is in order. You also talk about the master and slave cylinder? Not so sure what you have on your car, but usually you have either a clutch cable or a hydraulic system with a master and slave.

Irrespective, a good visual inspection can be done on either. Try and unhook them from the clutch and feel how much resistance or how easily you can depress the clutch pedal. If you feel noticeable resistance, try and figure out what is causing the resistance. Maybe the hinge of clutch pedal itself needs a drop of o/grease. Does it have free travel? (Im asking because we once had similar problem and it was just an old slipper that got bunged up behind the clutch pedal!)

If you have a hydraulic system when was the last time it was refreshed. Most manufacturers recommend changing out the fluid every 2-3 years.

Good luck.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:53   #385
BANNED

Quote:
Not so sure what you have on your car, but usually you have either a clutch cable or a hydraulic system with a master and slave.
Thanks a lot!

I am sure that the car has a Hydraulic Clutch.

I got confused reading articles on google and many posts here. hence the "cable" appeared.
Old 3rd May 2018, 16:31   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Trouble shooting is not replacing something and see what happens. Try and do a proper diagnosis.
Jeroen
Hello sir

First of all, I am in awe of your DIY skills and the perseverance with which you work on your cars. I keep following your posts regularly.

Can you shed some light on my query below? I dread if I walk into the service center with these complaints/symptoms, they will be happy to replace everything even if it ain't broke. In the end, it might not solve the problem.

Thanks,
Ashis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I drive a WagonR 1.0 which has done 61.5k kms. The transmission oil was changed while the ODO was 18k, 3 years ago. The next change is scheduled at 80k kms. The car is running on stock clutch. Once in a while, I find the following issues:

1. It is difficult to slot into 1st and 2nd. I can feel a resistance.

2. After crawling in traffic for some time in 1st, gear lever feels to be 'stuck' in the 1st gear. Some throttle or re-clutching and a firmer pull helps me move to N or 2nd.

3. False shift while moving to 3 or 4 (has happened 2-3 times in past 1 year).

These issues are rare and I haven't found a pattern to these. At all other times, the gearshifts are as smooth as expected of a WagonR. If I report to my FNG, he doesn't face this issue during his TD and brushes me off.

Any idea what could be the issue?

Note: I get shuddering in my car at low RPMs but this car is very famous for poor low end torque. The clutch pedal is soft and there is no slippage observed till now. Again, FNG says clutch is absolutely fine.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:12   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello sir
Can you shed some light on my query below? I dread if I walk into the service center with these complaints/symptoms, they will be happy to replace everything even if it ain't broke. In the end, it might not solve the problem.
Hi Ashish,
When shifting into 1st; Is there a noticeable difference when you try to shift into 1st when you are standing still, or when the car is still rolling?

Jeroen
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:55   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashish,
When shifting into 1st; Is there a noticeable difference when you try to shift into 1st when you are standing still, or when the car is still rolling?

Jeroen
Most of the times I can feel it when shifting to 1st (and even 2nd), as if there is some metallic grind. Lets say 30% of the times, the shifter just moves into the 1st sleekly without any drama.

When comparing Stand-still vs. rolling shift to 1st, I can always shift to 1st (with the above drama) when the car is rolling. When standstill, sometimes it doesn't slot in the first attempt. Shifting N->2->1 in the same breath or reclutching again fixes the issue.

I hope I understood your query and answered it correctly.

Thanks,
Ashis
Old 3rd May 2018, 23:51   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the times I can feel it when shifting to 1st (and even 2nd), as if there is some metallic grind. Lets say 30% of the times, the shifter just moves into the 1st sleekly without any drama.

When comparing Stand-still vs. rolling shift to 1st, I can always shift to 1st (with the above drama) when the car is rolling. When standstill, sometimes it doesn't slot in the first attempt. Shifting N->2->1 in the same breath or reclutching again fixes the issue.

I hope I understood your query and answered it correctly.

Thanks,

Ashis

Thanks. The reason I asked is because if there is a significant difference between shifting in 1st whilst at stand still compared to still moving that might indicate an problem with the respective synchromesh.

It is always very difficult to judge whether something is stiff or not from a description. No offense, but-it might be worthwhile to check a similar car of similar mileage and age.

Based on your symptoms it might be a fairly simple problem with the gear lever linkage or a problem with the gear box itself. I would always try and get the gear linkage checked first. I am not familiar with your car, but on most cars it is quite rare for the gearstick to go straight into the gearbox. There are usually some mechanical linkages. Those need to be checked for free movement, play, wear and proper adjustment.

Whilst you are at it, similar checks on the clutch pedal and the varies linkages to the hydraulic cylinders or cable. Make sure everything moves freely and without any due resistance. Only if all of that checks out would I consider removing the gear box and clutch. Again before opening the gear box, check the proper operation of the clutch and the various components. There is usually some sort of fork that on one end is connected to the slave cilinder and the other side moves the pressure plate. Again, you need to check this works as it supposed to, no undue wear and tear, properly adjusted etc.

Jumping out of gear, stiffness etc can all by caused by the various items I just mentioned. Doing the visual checks and the linkages and so is relatively easy and wont tkake much time. Taking the gear box off and inspecting the clutch and its components is usually quite a job, several hours on most cars just to remove. Opening a gear box is really last resort.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 08:14   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is always very difficult to judge whether something is stiff or not from a description. No offense, but-it might be worthwhile to check a similar car of similar mileage and age.

Based on your symptoms it might be a fairly simple problem with the gear lever linkage or a problem with the gear box itself.

Whilst you are at it, similar checks on the clutch pedal and the varies linkages to the hydraulic cylinders or cable.
Good luck

Jeroen
Thank you the detailed explanation sir.

I have a fair idea now where to look at. I will get the linkages for gear lever and the clutch pedal movements checked first. And then move further into the system.

Regards,
Ashis

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks