Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 16:19   #316
BHPian

Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Hi,

I used to experience clutch judder every morning when I start from 1st gear and after few mins when the engine becomes warm there will be no clutch juddering.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Gopi, I am facing similar problem in my Honda Brio (2012 model, 50K KMs) since last couple of days. There is some vibration and noise while releasing the clutch pedel and this happens during cold start. It goes away after few minutes of driving. Did you have any update on your case which is quite similar with mine?

Mine is hydraulic clutch, had a look at the clutch reservoir and master cylinder, couldnt see any signs of oil leak around. However I couldnt look around slave cylinder since it is not easily accessible from outside.

Apart from the initial vibration during pedel release, there is no slippage observed in any gears. However I feel the clutch pedel has gone slightly smoother while pressing when compared to the normal operation.

I guess something wrong about master/slave cylinder pistons or clutch release bearing.
Old 13th April 2017, 16:43   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Hi Gopi, I am facing similar problem in my Honda Brio (2012 model, 50K KMs) since last couple of days. There is some vibration and noise while releasing the clutch pedel and this happens during cold start. It goes away after few minutes of driving. Did you have any update on your case which is quite similar with mine?

Mine is hydraulic clutch, had a look at the clutch reservoir and master cylinder, couldnt see any signs of oil leak around. However I couldnt look around slave cylinder since it is not easily accessible from outside.

Apart from the initial vibration during pedel release, there is no slippage observed in any gears. However I feel the clutch pedel has gone slightly smoother while pressing when compared to the normal operation.

I guess something wrong about master/slave cylinder pistons or clutch release bearing.
I have taken the car to a mechanic and he test drove it and told everything is okay. Now a days during cold start I am giving a little more gas while releasing the clutch and don't feel any vibration. I guess the vibration during cold start is due to engine not producing enough torque at low temperature so compensating the torque deficit with extra gas solves the problem. Please check whether it works in your Brio.
Old 13th April 2017, 17:27   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
I have taken the car to a mechanic and he test drove it and told everything is okay. Now a days during cold start I am giving a little more gas while releasing the clutch and don't feel any vibration. I guess the vibration during cold start is due to engine not producing enough torque at low temperature so compensating the torque deficit with extra gas solves the problem. Please check whether it works in your Brio.
Thanks Gopi.

But in that case I should not feel anything while engine is off right. Pressing/depressing the pedel without starting the engine also results in same experience. Anyways I am planning to take the car to my mechanic for an opinion. I shall uppate on the progress.
Old 24th May 2017, 17:33   #319
BHPian

Car in question - Corolla Altis Petrol, done 99000 kilometres.

Symptoms -

1. Car shudders in gear 1 and gear 2. Say I slow down to 5 kph to pass a speed breaker in 1st gear, the RPM drops down to 8-900 and the car shudders somewhat on acceleration.

2. When I'm up shifting, that is when I release the accelerator, press the clutch and up shift a gear, the RPM rises a little bit at that moment.

3. Engine braking effect is almost unnoticeable. The car does not slow down adequately.

4. The fuel economy has gone down.

Going by these symptoms (especially No 2 and No 4), am I in for a clutch overhaul? If yes, would it be advisable to buy the spares OTC from Toyota and get them bolted on from outside?
Old 25th May 2017, 08:19   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Going by these symptoms (especially No 2 and No 4), am I in for a clutch overhaul? If yes, would it be advisable to buy the spares OTC from Toyota and get them bolted on from outside?
It seems to be symptoms of a clutch wear. I would recommend that you get it done from Toyota. It's not just the quality of parts that leads to the durability in a Toyota. It's also the kind of best practices they follow during vehicle servicing. Even a task as trivial as screwing/unscrewing can create reliability issues, if not done with proper care. Even for accessory fitting, they get directly trained from Toyota for best practices on each of their models.

Last edited by amalji : 25th May 2017 at 08:22.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 10:46   #321
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Yes, you are. However, since you are buying spares from a dealer, it is best to get them installed there too.

If you can get a genuine clutch kit from the open market, take it to a good garage and get it fitted there.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 10:52   #322
Senior - BHPian

Weird problem in my Petrol Verna

This is a strange one. I was driving on 3rd gear low revs and then went on to floor it.. the car revs up and starts accelerating and then suddenly at around 4000 RPM, the RPM starts shooting up to 5000 RPM, car still accelerating!

It was like I had pressed the clutch, I hadnt ofcourse and the car was still accelerating but not in line with engine RPM.

This does not happen if I accelerate gradually.
Old 20th June 2017, 10:54   #323
BHPian

Re: Weird problem in my Petrol Verna

Clutch is probably slipping. How much has the car done on the existing clutch ?
Old 20th June 2017, 11:12   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Clutch is probably slipping. How much has the car done on the existing clutch ?
Car is 2.5 years old, done only 23000 kms.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:13   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds dangerous - suggest you avoid driving and take it straight to the Hyundai workshop or a competent mechanic. Seems to be clutch-related be it the cable, plate, flywheel or release bearing.

Can cause an accident very easily especially on crowded roads.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:39   #326
Team-BHP Support

Seems like clutch or pressure plates are giving away, better to get it attended and avoid the risk of getting stranded on road.
Old 20th June 2017, 13:21   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a strange one. I was driving on 3rd gear low revs and then went on to floor it.. the car revs up and starts accelerating and then suddenly at around 4000 RPM, the RPM starts shooting up to 5000 RPM, car still accelerating!

It was like I had pressed the clutch, I hadnt ofcourse and the car was still accelerating but not in line with engine RPM.

This does not happen if I accelerate gradually.
Clutch letting you know that its time you did something for its plates . Slowly the symptom will crawl into first gear. Little will you know that you are in highway at vellore the car failing to move an inch and you wonder what you should do.

Luckily pump clutch and drive to chennai to a mechanic is an option but that just needs calm head and steady 80kmph driving with 5% clutch. I am just sharing my experience but the result is clutch giving up.

You probably have another 3k to 4k driving aggressively or you can push it to 7-8K driving absolutely sedate and gentle.
Old 21st June 2017, 12:27   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sounds dangerous - suggest you avoid driving and take it straight to the Hyundai workshop or a competent mechanic. Seems to be clutch-related be it the cable, plate, flywheel or release bearing.

Can cause an accident very easily especially on crowded roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like clutch or pressure plates are giving away, better to get it attended and avoid the risk of getting stranded on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Clutch letting you know that its time you did something for its plates . Slowly the symptom will crawl into first gear. Little will you know that you are in highway at vellore the car failing to move an inch and you wonder what you should do.

Luckily pump clutch and drive to chennai to a mechanic is an option but that just needs calm head and steady 80kmph driving with 5% clutch. I am just sharing my experience but the result is clutch giving up.

You probably have another 3k to 4k driving aggressively or you can push it to 7-8K driving absolutely sedate and gentle.
Made the floor manager at Hyundai ride shotgun while I showed him exactly what the problem was. 1st/2nd gear has no issues.
He doesnt understand it though.

Said they will check.. someone mentioned could be Turbo related.

Last edited by Hatari : 21st June 2017 at 12:29.
Old 6th July 2017, 16:53   #329
Senior - BHPian

Update on the issue. Hyundai confirm its not the clutch but cant figure out what it is.
Its difficult to replay as need a long empty stretch and ave to start flooring the pedal at low speed and take it all the way up.

Doesnt happen under normal/hard acceleration.
Old 6th July 2017, 16:57   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Update on the issue. Hyundai confirm its not the clutch but cant figure out what it is.
Its difficult to replay as need a long empty stretch and ave to start flooring the pedal at low speed and take it all the way up.

Doesnt happen under normal/hard acceleration.
If i understand correctly , RPM increases from 4k to 5k but the speed does not increase proportionately? Or is it that the speed and rpm increase from 4k to 5k without your accelerator input?

If it is the former then mostly it is a clutch issue.

You can try a hard ECU reset. Remove a battery terminal and re-connect after 30 mins.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks