Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 18:22   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If i understand correctly , RPM increases from 4k to 5k but the speed does not increase proportionately? Or is it that the speed and rpm increase from 4k to 5k without your accelerator input?

If it is the former then mostly it is a clutch issue.

You can try a hard ECU reset. Remove a battery terminal and re-connect after 30 mins.
RPM increases disproportionately to speed (which also increases)
Old 6th July 2017, 19:48   #332
Senior - BHPian

Finally it doesn't happen if I floor it at 3k RPM
Old 31st July 2017, 09:17   #333
BHPian

Re: RPM Issue with IGen i20 at 3k rpm in top gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I have a 2012 i20 sportz petrol which has around 45k kms on the odo. Regularly serviced and no issues so far whatsoever.

Had been on a out station trip this Saturday and faced a really wierd issue. I was doing about 80-100 kmph with the RPM around 3k. At times when I tried to increase the speed above 100 in the 5th gear, the engine would rev and the RPM would keep climbing without any increase in speed till I let the foot of the A pedal. This happened a couple of times before me having to switch to lower gears because of the traffic. For once I faced this problem in the 4th gear as well and the problem disappeared as soon and suddenly as it had appeared. Also this happened only for a small part of the onward trip and the return leg was absolutely fine

The first thing which came to my mind was a worn out clutch but there were no symptoms of it (no soft pedal, not shifting issues, no grinding noise, no shuddering etc.). I even tried the 3rd gear test a day before the trip and it showed the clutch was in shape so far. The car was pulling absolutely fine in all gears and was easily even reaching 130-140 without any issue otherwise (this was done only for a second or 2 to recheck the issue and in places where the road was straight giving me visibility of at least 1-1.5 kms).
An update here. Got the 50k service done and mentioned about this issue to the SA. While getting the car back I asked him about this and he replied it was the O2 sensor and nothing else. He said the clutch is absolutely fine and they found error codes for O2 while doing the OBD scan. He mentioned that for now he has fixed the problem but if it reoccurs, I will have to change the O2 sensor.

I am still not sure if its true but I took the same trip again and there were no issues in any gears at any rpms with 4 people on board. The car pulled without a problem all through. So probably what he did mention was right. Just wanted to share it here as a possible cause (?)
Old 31st July 2017, 09:46   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: RPM Issue with IGen i20 at 3k rpm in top gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I am still not sure if its true but I took the same trip again and there were no issues in any gears at any rpms with 4 people on board. The car pulled without a problem all through. So probably what he did mention was right. Just wanted to share it here as a possible cause (?)
Was it raining when the first event happened? Or did you drive through waterlogging when the issue occurred? I am saying this since I experienced this in my SX4 after driving through a waterlogged road. Once I started accelerating after clearing the waterlogged stretch, I could sense that the car was slipping in third and fourth gear at high RPMS. This happened for a minute or two and later things were back to normal.

If everything was right and still you faced this problem then it is a very early sign of clutch getting weak. When the engine is around its peak torque zone but the car is under load, as in your case when the engine would have been at ~3k RPM but in fifth gear, which puts load on the engine. In such a condition, the clutch will have to bear the brunt and will slip if its weak. The engine would be eager to go further, but the vehicle weight, aerodynamics and similar factors would be pulling it back. Thats what happened in your case. But the clutch can be used for some time. Same is the case with my uncles i10 kappa2. The clutch slips at high RPMs but is totally fine at lower gears and lower speed.

Hence, keep an eye for this and if this issue turns up again or becomes more prominent consider changing the clutch assembly.
Old 31st July 2017, 09:57   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Was it raining when the first event happened? Or did you drive through waterlogging when the issue occurred? I am saying this since I experienced this in my SX4 after driving through a waterlogged road. Once I started accelerating after clearing the waterlogged stretch, I could sense that the car was slipping in third and fourth gear at high RPMS. This happened for a minute or two and later things were back to normal.
No Water/raining as such. Infact it was peak summer. But yes, now that you bring it up, the washing center where I get my car washed, sometimes pressure wash under the hood. So if water can be a reason this is the only way it can be. Whenever I am around I always ask them not to use water under the hood for washing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If everything was right and still you faced this problem then it is a very early sign of clutch getting weak.

Hence, keep an eye for this and if this issue turns up again or becomes more prominent consider changing the clutch assembly.
Yes this was my fear and asked the SA but he replied in negative. He said the clutch is in very good shape and there is no reason to change it.

Probably will have to change the clutch assembly like you mention, the next time I get the issue.

Last edited by centaur : 31st July 2017 at 10:01.
Old 12th August 2017, 06:45   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes, you are. However, since you are buying spares from a dealer, it is best to get them installed there too.

If you can get a genuine clutch kit from the open market, take it to a good garage and get it fitted there.

Is the maker Exedy Corporation, a supplier of genuine parts? I fitted a clutch made by Exedy.

Though the power delivery and fuel economy (got an FE upwards of 16 on my recent Pune trip) has increased, may be due to improper fitting, the shuddering remains. The car shudders when I leave the clutch in first.
Old 12th August 2017, 10:16   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Is the maker Exedy Corporation, a supplier of genuine parts? I fitted a clutch made by Exedy.
Exedy is amongst the largest manufacturers of clutches worldwide and as long as you got an original clutch and it was fitted properly, there should not be any issues.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:06   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2012 WagonR has run about 38K kms. The clutch had started becoming hard about 1 and ½ years back. Now it's too hard, maybe 10 times more than my Brezza. The car starts moving in last inch of clutch release. I'm having trouble in driving it, especially in bumper to bumper traffic. I've to put in extra throttle and car suddenly moves when clutch releases. The efficiency in city has gone down quite considerably. Could it be due to wire or the whole clutch assembly? The car is mostly driven by my driver, I've tried to improve his driving but in vain. One reason why we are also looking for an automatic some time next year.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 8th December 2017 at 08:07.
Old 8th December 2017, 12:45   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My 2012 WagonR has run about 38K kms. The clutch had started becoming hard about 1 and ½ years back. Now it's too hard, maybe 10 times more than my Brezza. The car starts moving in last inch of clutch release. I'm having trouble in driving it, especially in bumper to bumper traffic. I've to put in extra throttle and car suddenly moves when clutch releases. The efficiency in city has gone down quite considerably. Could it be due to wire or the whole clutch assembly? The car is mostly driven by my driver, I've tried to improve his driving but in vain. One reason why we are also looking for an automatic some time next year.
I believe there are two issues in terms of what you have described:
1. Operating the clutch pedal, which is now hard, and
2. The clutch engaging very high-up when releasing the pedal, which indicates some slippage and consequent loss of efficiency (fuel??)

1.> Could be due to the clutch cable requiring lubrication/replacement as well as the pressure-plate movement mechanism getting hardened.

2.> Most likely is due to the clutch-plate (and maybe the pressure-plate??) getting worn-out.

Once the entire clutch system is dis-assembled, you can take a call on which parts need replacement, including the release bearing.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 23:02   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My 2012 WagonR has run about 38K kms. The clutch had started becoming hard about 1 and ½ years back. Now it's too hard, maybe 10 times more than my Brezza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
1.> Could be due to the clutch cable requiring lubrication/replacement as well as the pressure-plate movement mechanism getting hardened.
I had sent my driver with WagonR to service center as I was busy. The car was checked and clutch replacement was suggested. By that time I had reached. I asked them to replace the clutch wire and check it again, if we still find some issue, we'll go ahead with clutch assembly replacement. The wire was replaced and voilà, all the hardness vanished! The car is butter smooth now, total expense ₹550/-. The one reason why I make it a point to visit service center with my cars is that they can't flecee you.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 01:37   #341

Rubber band effect in a MT!!??

I've a VW Polo 1.2 TDI Highline (2011). It has been driven for 99,700-ish kilometres. Recently, I noticed that in 3rd and 4th gears, the revs tend to rise suddenly and abnormally post 1500-1800 RPM without significant increase in the speed. The rev holds at around 2800 RPM and will only rise further once the car has reached subsequent speed (similar to that of a rubber band effect of a CVT). I didn't notice any such behaviour in 1st or 2nd gear. I haven't tried to test the 5th gear since I drive it in the city and have not found suitable time or place to go fast enough to drive the car in the 5th gear above 1500 RPM.

I believe that this could be because of the gears being grinded. Can anyone please throw some light and let me know what the problem could be and how to rectify the same?
Old 28th December 2017, 07:10   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rubber band effect in a MT!!??

Sounds like the clutch is worn out. Has the clutch kit been changed earlier or are you on the original one?

Please do not drive too much in this condition, and get it checked and changed ASAP.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 07:10   #343
BHPian

Looks like a clutch related issue to me, possibly slippage. You would need to get this checked. Has the clutch changed during the mileage covered?
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 08:04   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennischoksi999 View Post
Can anyone please throw some light and let me know what the problem could be and how to rectify the same?
Your clutch friction plate is worn out and it’s slipping. Please get it sorted out asap.

This happens only beyond 1.5k rpm because that’s the time when the turbo kicks in and the clutch is not able to transfer the power generated to the drivetrain. You are not experiencing it in 1st or 2nd gears because you aren’t using that much torque. Try launching a 0-100 in first gear and you’ll find the same thing happening.

Please get this fixed to avoid a breakdown and related hassles.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 14:45   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sounds like the clutch is worn out. Has the clutch kit been changed earlier or are you on the original one?

Please do not drive too much in this condition, and get it checked and changed ASAP.
I'm still driving on the original clutch. It has never been changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Looks like a clutch related issue to me, possibly slippage. You would need to get this checked. Has the clutch changed during the mileage covered?
The service centre people picked up my car today and they will check if there's any other issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Your clutch friction plate is worn out and it’s slipping. Please get it sorted out asap.

This happens only beyond 1.5k rpm because that’s the time when the turbo kicks in and the clutch is not able to transfer the power generated to the drivetrain. You are not experiencing it in 1st or 2nd gears because you aren’t using that much torque. Try launching a 0-100 in first gear and you’ll find the same thing happening.

Please get this fixed to avoid a breakdown and related hassles.
Thank you all for your expert insight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks