Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 12:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
With the handbrakes on, and if the vehicle moves? Then brake gone right?
That is exactly what I had in mind---but you've beaten me to it!!
Old 7th September 2010, 14:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuj View Post
Hi experts, I've a 2000 model Santro that's done 80K and occasionally when I start the car in the first gear, the car jerks and shudders and moves. I took it to a Hyundai A.S.S. and they say that the entire clutch assembly needs to be changed to rectify this problem. The cost quoted by Nimbus Hyundai, Noida is 4300. Should I get the entire assembly changed, and how is this service station in terms of reliability as this will be my first time there.
Since you are from GZB, try MR Hyundai at Shalimar Garden, Sahibabad.

I got mine replaced there this weekend and the change is very evident in the driving.

Costs would be around 4k (approx) as I got other jobs too.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:09   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I have the same issues as DieselFan's swift has, my car also does 100 at 2200 RPM and hence I dont see the clutch is slipping.

Next week, am handing over the car for the clutch issue and 50k service. Would keep ya all posted.
Was suspecting my clutch since few week now. I checked the speed yesterday, and it was doing 85KM at 2200 rpm. Also, the mileage dropped from around 14.85 to 13.3 in the last 5-6 tanks. Is this an indication of clutch wear?
Old 8th September 2010, 00:00   #199
BHPian

@Jkdas The fact of clutch wear diagnosis is hosted on howstuffworks.com and ehow.com to name a few. But its always better to search through Google search engine to get a wider chapter. Your question has a point, esp where poorly maintained automobiles prevail like India. Many cars may not be having a working handbrake. You are right. You are absolutely right.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:29   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Was suspecting my clutch since few week now. I checked the speed yesterday, and it was doing 85KM at 2200 rpm. Also, the mileage dropped from around 14.85 to 13.3 in the last 5-6 tanks. Is this an indication of clutch wear?
I dont know if the compromised mileage indicates clutch wear. And which gear were You hitting 85kph at 2200rpm? If its fifth, it should be fine. If the rpm rises rapidly when the acceleration stays poor, it could be the clutch slipping.

Gave my car for the 50K service yesterday and the clutch judder is gone. All they had to do was bleed the clutch and its back at its best.

No idea why the technician didnt think of this earlier, when he was hell bent on changing the pressure plates.

Dropped a mail to maruti regarding the same.

PS: @DieselFan, please see if bleeding the clutch helps.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 8th September 2010 at 14:33.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:17   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I dont know if the compromised mileage indicates clutch wear. And which gear were You hitting 85kph at 2200rpm? If its fifth, it should be fine. If the rpm rises rapidly when the acceleration stays poor, it could be the clutch slipping.

Gave my car for the 50K service yesterday and the clutch judder is gone. All they had to do was bleed the clutch and its back at its best.

No idea why the technician didnt think of this earlier, when he was hell bent on changing the pressure plates.

Dropped a mail to maruti regarding the same.

PS: @DieselFan, please see if bleeding the clutch helps.
Yes, it is in 5th gear. Today I checked the rpm again in a highway, and it did 100 kmph at 2600 rpm, and 90 kmph at 2400 rpm. I am also having the judder in 1st gear with the engine hot.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:20   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is in 5th gear. Today I checked the rpm again in a highway, and it did 100 kmph at 2600 rpm, and 90 kmph at 2400 rpm. I am also having the judder in 1st gear with the engine hot.
My bad
It should be hitting 100kph @2200rpm in 5th, this may not be a sign of worn-out/ weak clutch but better get it checked. If You experience judder even when the engine is upto operating temperatures, its better to first check if bleeding helps. Incase it doesnt, ask them to inspect the clutch in detail.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:33   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess that the longest I have driven a manual-box car is about two years, although that car was used for daily commuting and business, so the mileage would have probably been much higher than my current 3-year Swift. The daily commute was London, so quite a lot of bumper-to-bumper clutch work there; perhaps as much or more than my out-of-rush-hour Chennai driving. I never experienced any sort of clutch wear, or even needing adjustment.

Now, in past few weeks, I find my Swift VDI (3 years but only 15,000km) clutch response changing. The biting point is with the pedal much higher off the floor.

We have quite a big hump across our gate to keep flood water out, and I found myself revving much higher to get across it. Something not-so-good is happening!
Old 9th September 2010, 18:21   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

<Later...>

Went to Ignite Garage today to discuss rust, dents and scratches with Raghav. He tested the car and said it is fine... just normal that I should feel some change like this as the plates wear.
Old 26th September 2010, 06:55   #205
BHPian

Guys,

if you press the clutch little bit without touching the accelerator and your other foot is on brake (to control speed on a very very bad surface), does it affect your clutch?
Old 26th September 2010, 08:32   #206
Senior - BHPian

Why you are pressing the clutch a little bit? This can probably wear the clutch disc faster.
The methodology on very bad roads is to downshift to the appropriate gear and release the clutch to maove as normal. In other words rather than pressing half release similarar as you move.
Old 26th September 2010, 23:24   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Guys,

if you press the clutch little bit without touching the accelerator and your other foot is on brake (to control speed on a very very bad surface), does it affect your clutch?
Thats what exactly 'riding a clutch' is. It will definitely wear the clutch.

For such situation you have to be on the right gear and control the vehicle with accelerator only.
Old 27th September 2010, 00:20   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

You can control the speed using the clutch when manoeuvring. You are supposed to do so in 1st or Reverse gear only --- "supposed," that is, according to one of my UK driving instructors, who told me off for doing it in another gear. Some things stick in the mind!

I guess that, every time we do it, it costs a bit of clutch, but sometimes it is inevitable.

This bit I don't understand: " and your other foot is on brake". Normally, your other foot would be on the accelerator? If braking is what you need, then let your engine help --- by being in a low enough gear.

There is a turn that I take on my home, into a lane off Chennai's Old Mahabalipuram Road. The lane itself has no tarmac or concrete and is is a very rough state, but where it meets the main road it has been repeatedly dug and never relaid properly, meaning that it is now a substantial mound. A manhole cover has been broken, so there is hole, with a substantial drop. There is a bus stop nearby, and a substantial number of people wander about, not to mention the substantial amount of bikes and the occasional car vying for the not-at-all-substantial piece of road. The manhole makes it one way traffic; sometimes I have to wait.

What all this (substantially) amounts to is that it is just about impossible to ever get a run at it. It comes down to a short session of high revs and clutch control to get me up that hump until I can ease off and drop down the other side. Every time, I reflect it is costing me some clutch. The alternative is a longer trip home!
Old 27th September 2010, 01:13   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much does it do 120 at ? mine does it at around 2900.
Old 27th September 2010, 07:54   #210
BHPian

Thank you.

So in safari, or may be in any diesel vehicle, if you slot the car into first gear without touching the accelerator, the speed is substantially high.

If you slot into reverse gear, it is even higher.

Now if you slot it into first, and then try to control its speed using brake without touching the accelerator, the engine starts shuddering.

Even then the speed is kind of high. But it would help to get out of most of the situations. Still, there may be sudden drops where you need to take it to a very slow speed which is not possible by just pressing the brake alone and the only option would be to ride the clutch may be?

This brings to another question. If you do not ride the clutch and the engine shudders, is it bad for the engine?

Last edited by sumannandy : 27th September 2010 at 08:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks