Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:08   #271
BHPian

Re: SX4 Diesel Gear Shift Down Issue : 38K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
faced the same issue today with sx4-D, the interesting part is the vehicle showed the issue at 40K.It almost matches the Kms which you have mentioned .

The SA said that it would be covered under warranty.

A note to other Sx4-D owners, if you vehicle is out of the warranty period the cost would have to be borne by the customer .

Will keep the thread posted about the details.
True, this is an issue. Got the gear synchro rings replaced under warranty at 40k though the clutch plate was in decent shape yet got a new one as the part costs just 1700 and the labour is under warranty
Would recommend you to do the same. The car is now on 60k with the extended warranty just over and the gearbox is a little harsh. Let's see. But those around 40k should watch out for this.
Old 4th December 2013, 21:58   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
. Got the gear synchro rings replaced under .

I got the rings replaced under warranty, i was asked to replace the clutch plate . I indeed asked whether it was needed and SA mentioned that it could be because of a clutch plate that the rings would have got loose.

I was not convinced, but then opted to change it .I was also asked to change the Gear oil, i had changed it just few days back during the 40k service.

At the end of the day, am totally unhappy with this incident , a defect on a vehicle is not fixed proactively and Maruti can save money if the customer just went out of the warranty period .
Old 4th December 2013, 22:36   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I indeed asked whether it was needed and SA mentioned that it could be because of a clutch plate that the rings would have got loose.
I was also asked to change the Gear oil, i had changed it just few days back during the 40k service.
Attributing synchro ring failure to clutch wear is absolute rubbish but changing the lubricating oil once the gear box is worked on, is definitely essential.
Perhaps there would have been considerable wear (not alarming though) in the clutch and as the gear box was taken out replacing the clutch is recommendable.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th December 2013 at 22:46.
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:49   #274

Clutch Issue with My Wagon R (LXi)

Hello Friends

Recently I am having an issue with my 2008 Wagon-R LXi Petrol. I see that the pick-up has gone down poor and it takes more time to attain speed.

When recently I took to Kalyani Motors in Bangalore, they confirmed that the the clutch is worn out or burnt out and I need to get it replaced. They gave an approximate of Rs. 7000/-

Could any of you suggest if I can go ahead with this or should I get it done from a known mechanic.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.
-Srinivas
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:49   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Clutch Issue with My Wagon R (LXi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasu1976 View Post
....When recently I took to Kalyani Motors in Bangalore, they confirmed that the the clutch is worn out or burnt out and I need to get it replaced. They gave an approximate of Rs. 7000/-...
How much has the car run? For a Wagon R, 7K bill looks too high! For my Swift D, MA$$ had quoted 5K inclusive of all. I suggest you take a quote from multiple MA$$ and then take a call based on it. For a clutch replacement, I would rather trust a MA$$ than an FNG.

Since you are in Bangy, I suggest you talk to Surakshaa (Bommanahalli) too. I had always great experience with those guys.
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:06   #276
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Friends

Recently I am having an issue with my 2008 Wagon-R LXi Petrol. I see that the pick-up has gone down poor and it takes more time to attain speed.

When recently I took to Kalyani Motors in Bangalore, they confirmed that the the clutch is worn out or burnt out and I need to get it replaced. They gave an approximate of Rs. 7000/-

Could any of you suggest if I can go ahead with this or should I get it done from a known mechanic.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in Advance.
-Srinivas
Try the handbrake test to know the condition of the clutch by yourself.

-> Start Car in Neutral-Hand Brakes engaged fully and put the car in first gear, Release clutch and simultaneously increase throttle.

A Good clutch will ensure the car turns itself off at one point (when you release the clutch almost 70%) while a weak one will ensure the revs keep increasing with no signs of car turning off.

Anurag.
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:24   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
-> Start Car in Neutral-Hand Brakes engaged fully and put the car in first gear, Release clutch and simultaneously increase throttle.

A Good clutch will ensure the car turns itself off at one point (when you release the clutch almost 70%) while a weak one will ensure the revs keep increasing with no signs of car turning off.
When you release clutch and simultaneously increase throttle, the car moves inspite of handbrake applied. Why would the engine switches off?

Or do you mean "not" press the throttle?

With problematic clutch too, the engine cuts off at some point.
Its difficult to judge the 70% clutch release mark.

I might be missing something. Can you explain this clearly?
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:04   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

re: About clutch wear & replacement

What about a simple check - is your engine speed corresponding to a particular vehicle speed (i.e. 80kmph in 4'th gear attained at 2000 RPM), changed? Does it now show higher RPM for the same kmph?
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:07   #279
BHPian

Quote:

I recently got the clutch work done for my 2004 WagonR.
See the screenshot for the cost incurred. Please note that in my case, the Fly Wheel and Fly Wheel Bearing were not changed as the SA said that they were fine upon inspecting. Add another Rs. 1200 (approx) to my bill if they are to be replaced.

About clutch wear & replacement-clutch.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
When you release clutch and simultaneously increase throttle, the car moves inspite of handbrake applied.
Why would the car move when the handbrake is applied fully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What about a simple check - is your engine speed corresponding to a particular vehicle speed (i.e. 80kmph in 4'th gear attained at 2000 RPM), changed? Does it now show higher RPM for the same kmph?
I don't know about this technique, but in my case, it won't be helpful since my car does not have a tacho.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 3rd January 2014 at 16:10.
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:55   #280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I don't know about this technique, but in my case, it won't be helpful since my car does not have a tacho.
Other than the handbrake test, the one told by Anand is another way to check the clutch condition.

If your car doesn't have a Tachometer, I guess you will be able to know by the sound of the engine. Tacho are a recent addition to automotive world, before that it was all on the sound.

So if the car feels like revving higher than the speed your travelling at then the clutch can be doubted.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 17:43   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
True, this is an issue. Got the gear synchro rings replaced under warranty at 40k though the clutch plate was in decent shape yet got a new one as the part costs just 1700 and the labour is under warranty
Quote:
I got the rings replaced under warranty, i was asked to replace the clutch plate . I indeed asked whether it was needed and SA mentioned that it could be because of a clutch plate that the rings would have got loose.
SX4-diesel does have this issue. It is very common with this model. I think it is a manufacturing defect. We have one in the family and it has happened twice in 1 lac KM.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:20   #282
BHPian

I have a 2002 Accord and lately i hear a strange noise when i depress the clutch.Sometimes i see a raise in the rpm which settles down soon.When the car is in gear and clutch depressed i don't see any slipping.My neighbour hood mechanic says it is the release bearing.He is confident of opening and lets me to oversee what he is doing. Iam confident of him doing it,but iam not sure of the parts.He has done suspension jobs for me ,but i felt the quality of spares to be suspect.Is it advisable to change the clutch plate,pressure plate etc if only the release bearing was bad.How much do you think it would cost if i did the job at Honda asc.Do they allow you to make a choice on what parts to replace? If there is anybody in surat who can guide me to a good independent workshop, it would be nice.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:43   #283
Senior - BHPian

Our Xylo starts moving forward after releasing around >80% of Clutch Pedal. Does this mean it required Clutch Replacement.
The Pickup is still good. And also the RPM-Speed funda seems proportionate- The Rpm corresponding to the speed is similar to that of when new for e.g. 5th gear-> 2000rpm->80kph
Old 30th September 2014, 21:00   #284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Our Xylo starts moving forward after releasing around >80% of Clutch Pedal. Does this mean it required Clutch Replacement.
The Pickup is still good. And also the RPM-Speed funda seems proportionate- The Rpm corresponding to the speed is similar to that of when new for e.g. 5th gear-> 2000rpm->80kph
If the speed:RPM is fine along with the pickup being normal then there is nothing much to worry.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 17:05   #285
BHPian

Guys, need help.

My 2008 WagonR on flat road behaves well and clutch press also seems decent. When in last trip I drove it on slops, where at 30-35kmph speed on second gear, I found clutch quite hard to press. is this normal? Does this need any kind of checks?

Currently my odo. is around 55K. Also I don't see other issues on flat roads and speed to engine revv. seems normal. Appreciate any advice on this.

Regards
SE

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks