Team-BHP - Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/187331-approved-engine-oils-maruti-suzuki-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chncar (Post 4211512)
I have used Mobil Delvac 1 for several oil changes and then the much cheaper semi-synth MGO Mobil 5W40 and actually felt the latter to be smoother and providing better mileage.

As a side note, I am looking for a fully synthetic 0W20 oil for K12M engine and not sure where to find it. The service stations have only IOC Servo in 00W20 and the Shell petrol stations don't seem to carry 0W20 HX8 or Ultra either.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-11.jpg

As I have replied in my MGP thread, you can order it from MGP store. For Shell in 0w20, part number will be 99999M00w20-SHL. The only reason why they can refuse/make excuses is because to give you one can of 3.5L, they'll have to purchase a carton with 4 cans in it(see the sales unit, it says 3.5L x 4). So if your MGP store owner is extremely money minded, he can either refuse you or ask you to purchase 4 cans(saying that no one prefers Shell etc etc). :uncontrol

It's not that he won't be able to sell the remaining 3 or it will be a dead stock. The stores avoid ordering Shell or other brands because for a particular grade oil, Maruti has kept the MRP same. That means if 0w20 costs 1000 rupees then every make will have the same MRP. But the cost price, and hence margins change for other makes. From what I have seen, IOC or Servo have the highest margins when listed as MGO, then comes Castrol and Shell.

Hope I am clear. Just letting you know what issues you can possibly face.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4211547)
Attachment 1646179

As I have replied in my MGP thread, you can order it from MGP store. For Shell in 0w20, part number will be 99999M00w20-SHL. The only reason why they can refuse/make excuses is because to give you one can of 3.5L, they'll have to purchase a carton with 4 cans in it(see the sales unit, it says 3.5L x 4). So if your MGP store owner is extremely money minded, he can either refuse you or ask you to purchase 4 cans(saying that no one prefers Shell etc etc). :uncontrol

It's not that he won't be able to sell the remaining 3 or it will be a dead stock. The stores avoid ordering Shell or other brands because for a particular grade oil, Maruti has kept the MRP same. That means if 0w20 costs 1000 rupees then every make will have the same MRP. But the cost price, and hence margins change for other makes. From what I have seen, IOC or Servo have the highest margins when listed as MGO, then comes Castrol and Shell.

Regards,
Shashi

Thank you sir, that was valuable advice.

I will try purchasing it and update the thread with my experience.

Wow..that is quite a lot of information.
Complete fluid department of MSIL covered in a single post! :D
Thank you sir, for this highly informative thread.

Just a small doubt - The recommended oil for my 2013 K10B WagonR is mentioned as 5W-30 in the owner's manual.
I have been using the 5W-30 Shell Helix MGO until now.
But according to the attached pics here, Maruti now recommends 0W-20 for all K10B engines including WagonR.

Since when did this come into effect?
I was under the impression that there has been no change in the engine and service related parameters of WagonR since the 2010 update to K series.

So is there any benefit if I switch from 5W-30 to 0W-20 for the next oil change?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 (Post 4212084)
Just a small doubt - The recommended oil for my 2013 K10B WagonR is mentioned as 5W-30 in the owner's manual.
I have been using the 5W-30 Shell Helix MGO until now.
But according to the attached pics here, Maruti now recommends 0W-20 for all K10B engines including WagonR.

Since when did this come into effect?
I was under the impression that there has been no change in the engine and service related parameters of WagonR since the 2010 update to K series.

When in doubt, always follow the owners manual. Your WagonR has the K10B, whereas starting from 2014, cars have been getting K-Next engines(WagonR got K-Next sometime in October 2014 IIRC).

They have made some changes like short skirt pistons, Molybdenum coated piston walls, some changes in head design etc, and have then changed the oil to 0w20 grade for increased fuel efficiency.

Since your car's engine is still the older one, I'd recommend you to use 5w30 only.

Also don't take those last two charts too seriously. They do have some errors as I have pointed out. WRT maintenance schedule, follow your owners manual. :)

Quote:

So is there any benefit if I switch from 5W-30 to 0W-20 for the next oil change?
The maximum benefit you can get is improved fuel efficiency, and a light feeling engine. But I won't recommend it as some people have also reported rough sounding engines, and too much blow by. So let 0w20 for new engines which have those changes.

BHPian Audioholic too had a similar doubt, and I had explained a similar thing to him. Request you to check the video here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4207791

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

As a side note, I am looking for a fully synthetic 0W20 oil for K12M engine and not sure where to find it. The service stations have only IOC Servo in 00W20 and the Shell petrol stations don't seem to carry 0W20 HX8 or Ultra either.

Quote:

The only reason why they can refuse/make excuses is because to give you one can of 3.5L, they'll have to purchase a carton with 4 cans in it(see the sales unit, it says 3.5L x 4)

Was browsing through some pics, and found a pic of the carton of 0w20. This was taken at my MASS few weeks ago. :)

Click to Zoom
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20170428_170249.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4214562)
Was browsing through some pics, and found a pic of the carton of 0w20. This was taken at my MASS few weeks ago. :)

Click to Zoom
Attachment 1647131

Regards,
Shashi

Thanks, the carton also confirms that it is fully synthetic (though it should be identifiable as synthetic based on the HX8 branding as well).

I had used the Mobil 0w20 (out of a random barrel) during my voluntary oil change at 5k kms. It was not as smooth as OE fill nor the current Shell.

So before the 10k service asked my MASS to procure this. It is very much available at MGP AFAIK.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_3209.jpg

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4212095)
When in doubt, always follow the owners manual. Your WagonR has the K10B, whereas starting from 2014, cars have been getting K-Next engines(WagonR got K-Next sometime in October 2014 IIRC).

They have made some changes like short skirt pistons, Molybdenum coated piston walls, some changes in head design etc, and have then changed the oil to 0w20 grade for increased fuel efficiency.

Since your car's engine is still the older one, I'd recommend you to use 5w30 only.

But I won't recommend it as some people have also reported rough sounding engines, and too much blow by. So let 0w20 for new engines which have those changes.

During my 2015 Swift VXi's service in 2016 I tried ordering 0W-20 from MGP. Nobody call me back. But when I tried procuring cabin air filter, I got a response even on Sunday.

Procuring 0W-20 oil other than Servo is difficult. Shall again try to get hold of one. Currently my car is running on Shell. Would try out Total subject to availability. The post above is enlightening and sheds light on the crucial topic of oil stocking and why Servo is so readily available.

Coming to second part about Wagon R K10. Your post about 0W-20 being used in Wagon R prior to 2014 update resulting into rougher idle is spot on. Extremely spot on. Since 2015, my 2010 K10 Wagon R is running on 0W-20 thanks to Maruti Authorized Service center (they did receive some notification on change of oil). Off late, I find the engine to be rough, noisy and free revving. The noise factor hits back and I even find 2012 Innova less noisy than Wagon R. Dad also told me this, why the car is making so much noise ? He thought I did mess up something or did some experiment on the car.

I did search about the oil and found that 0W-20 will be thinner and thought it will help the engine during cold start up and thats the time when most wear and tear takes place. Car has one around 25K kms. on 0W-20. Henceforth, I will revert back to what the manual says. I cant stand such a noisy engine with a rough idle. Glad you posted this, manual is what one should refer to. Hope my Waggie's engine isn't damaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 4215528)

I did search about the oil and found that 0W-20 will be thinner and thought it will help the engine during cold start up and thats the time when most wear and tear takes place. .

You can lower the first value of the viscosity index[xx in xxWyy] if you wish to have better cold starting properties but never ever play around with the "yy" value which signifies thickness and flow when engine is hot.

So if your manual suggests 5w30, you can safely opt for 0w30 but never ever change the W30 value.

I am no expert to comment on this topic, but this is what I have concluded from our Synthetic vs Mineral oil thread and my own experience. Please feel free to correct me if I have wrongly concluded anything. :)

Regards,
Shashi

After viewing this thread, I just casually glanced over the last service bill of our F10D Wagon R which is now with my brother in Delhi and was last serviced at DD Motors, Peeragarhi, five months ago.

I was shocked to see that the oil replaced was of 0W20 grade while Maruti recommends 5W30 for this engine.

Wrote to Maruti that how can a dealer workshop make a mistake like this and what if any mechanical problem occurs due to this?

No reply from either Maruti or the dealer.

After waiting for five days, forwarded the mail once again and this time cc'ed to Mr. CV Raman and Mr. RC Bhargava.

That did the trick. GM of the dealership called me the very next day and was very apologetic for the mistake caused by them and told me they use 0W20 in the K series WagonR and this was a mistake from their side.

He assured me the oil will be replaced and he will also do a compression check on the cylinders to make sure everything is okay.

Gave them the car and got it the very same day with oil and filter replaced. The compression test gave a reading of 14, 14, 13.5 and 13.5 for the cylinders.
Are these okay?

And many thanks to Leoshashi for starting this informative thread.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlocked (Post 4221435)
Gave them the car and got it the very same day with oil and filter replaced. The compression test gave a reading of 14, 14, 13.5 and 13.5 for the cylinders.
Are these okay?

And many thanks to Leoshashi for starting this informative thread.:)

The compression test results look okay. Nothing to worry about!!

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Request everyone to follow the owners manual to the T. Not only Maruti, but I have seen ASCs of other brands too doing the same mistake. More often than not, it's a deliberately done mistake. They do this so that they don't have to stock different grades of oil. They don't care about the engines which can get damaged because of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4221453)
PS: Request everyone to follow the owners manual to the T. Not only Maruti, but I have seen ASCs of other brands too doing the same mistake. More often than not, it's a deliberately done mistake. They do this so that they don't have to stock different grades of oil. They don't care about the engines which can get damaged because of that.

In such cases Shashi, can I insist them to use the MGO Shell Helix can that I will buy from MGA store in my city and take it to them with seal intact ?

My M.A.S.S makes a huge fuss and talk all rules that is unheard of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prithm (Post 4221521)
In such cases Shashi, can I insist them to use the MGO Shell Helix can that I will buy from MGA store in my city and take it to them with seal intact ?

My M.A.S.S makes a huge fuss and talk all rules that is unheard of.

Is your car still under warranty?? Also usually these rules are usually at the dealer owned workshops, and not normal MASS. Which type of MASS do you visit??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4221555)
Is your car still under warranty?? Also usually these rules are usually at the dealer owned workshops, and not normal MASS. Which type of MASS do you visit??

Yes under warranty and its Dealer owned workshop. And they fill out of barrel with no label on it.

What I get on bill is Castrol/Mobil (changes every time and at different locations) Semi synth w40 oil, but I have no clue if at all it is true. Red color barrels, that's all I know.

I shouted at them last time too and they showed me their log book of their shop which showed Mobil as shipper, but grade was not mentioned anywhere.

Not at all happy with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prithm (Post 4221609)
Yes under warranty and its Dealer owned workshop. And they fill out of barrel with no label on it.

What I get on bill is Castrol/Mobil (changes every time and at different locations) Semi synth w40 oil, but I have no clue if at all it is true. Red color barrels, that's all I know.

I shouted at them last time too and they showed me their log book of their shop which showed Mobil as shipper, but grade was not mentioned anywhere.

Not at all happy with this.

Request you to try out normal MASS, and not dealer owned workshops. Not only are they incredibly cheaper, they also allow you to get oil from outside. I also never go to the dealer workshops. They are more than 50% expensive.