Team-BHP - Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/187331-approved-engine-oils-maruti-suzuki-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh (Post 4816864)
Hi Leoshashi,

Currently i am driving VVT version with 10 spoke alloy wheels, manufactured in 2011. Can you tell me which type is it? Type 2 or 3 ?

If type 2 & type 3 have minor cosmetic differences, 0W20 would be suitable for both types considering both use same M16A engine with VVT technology.

Thanks in advance!

Be on the safer side and use 5W30. 0W20 is a very thin oil aimed at providing greater fuel economy at the cost of increased wear and tear. Even if your car is type 3 or whatever, using 5w30 will only benefit you as 0w20 is not well suited for harsh driving conditions in our country.

Thicker 5w30 will protect the engine and reduce wear and tear as compared to 0w20.

Quote:

Hi Leoshashi,

Currently i am driving VVT version with 10 spoke alloy wheels, manufactured in 2011. Can you tell me which type is it? Type 2 or 3 ?

If type 2 & type 3 have minor cosmetic differences, 0W20 would be suitable for both types considering both use same M16A engine with VVT technology.

Thanks in advance!

2011 is Type 2.

What's mentioned in your owner's manual? Do they have a range specified or have they clearly recommended any grade?

Regards,
Shashi

As i have read and seen in many videos, wrong viscosity oils can create havoc on the variable valve timing engines. Because phase advancing and retarding of intake camshaft is done with the oil pressure only.

As far as protection from wear and tear is concerned, manufacturer must have seen both pros and cons and then recommended any engine oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4816896)
2011 is Type 2.

What's mentioned in your owner's manual? Do they have a range specified or have they clearly recommended any grade?

Regards,
Shashi

I dont have any user manual as this is a pre-owned car. That's why hunting for correct engine oil.

Thanks Leoshashi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh (Post 4816899)
I dont have any user manual as this is a pre-owned car. That's why hunting for correct engine oil.

Thanks Leoshashi.

For your SX4 I'm pretty sure it was 5W30. Hope this image helps for the time being:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-capture.jpg

Meanwhile I'm trying to get you pics of actual owner's manual from a similar Vintage SX4.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Also don't follow that Ecstar brochure or the pics I have shared blindly. Always trust your owner's manual. I can point out many mistakes in that compilation. My main motto of creating this thread was to make people aware of the different brands which are approved. For volume of oil or viscosity, always trust the manual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rshrey22 (Post 4816884)
Be on the safer side and use 5W30. 0W20 is a very thin oil aimed at providing greater fuel economy at the cost of increased wear and tear.Thicker 5w30 will protect the engine and reduce wear and tear as compared to 0w20.

Its not always the case. It was in earlier times that tolerances within the engine were on the higher side along with friction due to which manufacturers would recommend multiple grades of oils based on ambient temperature and usage. However these days engines are built with tighter tolerance and very less friction due to which manufacturers are preferring thinner oils. The Type 3 SX4 got revised engine internals which are meant to use 0w20 oil whereas the older versions used 5W30. Using thicker oil in an engine built for a thinner oil will mess up the piston rings earlier than expected and also might create excess oil pressure. Hence its best to stick to the recommended grade. Slowly Maruti switched to 0W20 for the newer engines and the latest K15 engine uses 0W16 as the grade. It will not be a good idea to use a thicker oil in these engines.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4816914)
For your SX4 I'm pretty sure it was 5W30. Hope this image helps for the time being:

Attachment 2013202

Meanwhile I'm trying to get you pics of actual owner's manual from a similar Vintage SX4.

This should be the best reference. 5W30 it is. I will try to fetch the owners manual from my cousin's type 3 SX4 to see what's the recommendation.

I apologise. The correct info about SX4 types are:

Type 1: May 2007 to Aug 2008
Type 2: Sept 2008 to Sept 2009
Type 3: Oct 2009 and beyond

Confirmed this from SX4's service and parts manuals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioholic (Post 4816952)
The Type 3 SX4 got revised engine internals

Type 1 and 2 were largely same as far as engine was concerned. Type 3 however had many changes like:

1. Different Gaskets
2. Cylinder Head
3. Block
4. Pistons(were localised in T3)
5. Camshaft, Valves and some associated parts
6. Timing Chain Assy
7. Throttle Body(localised in T3)
8. Air Cleaner Assy and parts like MAF(localised in T3)
9. Exhaust manifold and catcon
10. Some exhaust pipe components
11. Oil Pump
12. Thermostat
13. Emission control and EVAP was entirely different in T3 due to BS4

Etc.

Type 2 was largely about suspension related changes.

Also Maruti shifted to lower grades like 0W20 around late 2014/ early 2015. Before that it was mostly 5W30. SX4 was gone before that. So in my memory, any version of SX4 always got recommendation of 5W30.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4816958)
12. Thermostat

Hello Shashi,

By seeing these changes in type 3 model, something flashed in my mind.

My SX4 has got the new head gasket before 15k kms. At that time when we were installing new MGP thermostat, it was not opening at a proper time, leading to the temp. needle climbing up!

So at that time, FNG mechanic just removed thermostat and i am driving the car without it. No one was able to understand the real reason behind it. Even FNG checked thermostat before installing second time & again it didn't work.

What i think now it is, that thermostat might not be of type 3.

Can you please share the part number of thermostat for SX4 type 3?

Thanks a lot for all this help!
clap:

Quote:

Hi Leoshashi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4816914)

Thanks to Leoshashi for pointing me out to this discussion. I have the same vintage (2010) petrol SX4 (VVT with M16A engine) as the in the discussion above, and below is what my owner's manual says about engine oil. Hope this helps!

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_20200604_162839.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.AD (Post 4817460)
Thanks to Leoshashi for pointing me out to this discussion. I have the same vintage (2010) petrol SX4 (VVT with M16A engine) as the in the discussion above, and below is what my owner's manual says about engine oil. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh (Post 4817185)

What i think now it is, that thermostat might not be of type 3.

Can you please share the part number of Thermostat for SX4 type 3 ?

Type 1 and 2:

Name: THERMOSTAT WATER
Part Number: 17670M55K00
MRP: Rs. 410

Type 3:

Name: THERMOSTAT WATER 82
Part Number: 17670-63J00
MRP: Rs. 982

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4817475)
Thanks a lot! clap:

Type 1 and 2:

Name: THERMOSTAT WATER
Part Number: 17670M55K00
MRP: Rs. 410

Type 3:

Name: THERMOSTAT WATER 82
Part Number: 17670-63J00
MRP: Rs. 982

Regards,
Shashi

Hello Leoshashi,

You have been a great help for me! Thanks a lot really.

As my fear has pointed out & now became evident by seeing your post, at the time of Thermostat replacement, we were trying with this 17670M55K00 thermostat having price of around 400/-. Resulting in the temp needle climbing up. Obviously, it was a wrong part.

Now i think, i got the solution of my problem.

Thanks again! clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh (Post 4817505)
Hello Leoshashi,

While a correct Thermostat is a necessity, hope you have checked ECT sensor in your car. That is mainly responsible for informing the ECM about coolant temperature which gets reflected on the speedo. Also that triggers the fan.

Regards,
Shashi

I have a Jan 2020 Alto 800 BS6 that has run 4200 kms till now. Can I change to MGP Fully Synthetic Oil 5W30 at the 5000km service?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatmarch (Post 4821961)
I have a Jan 2020 Alto 800 BS6 that has run 4200 kms till now. Can I change to MGP Fully Synthetic Oil 5W30 at the 5000km service?

Replying here since this is an appropriate thread.

This is your first oil change I guess? Stick to mineral for the time being. Let it run on mineral till 10k kms then shift to Shell Synthetic.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4822987)
Replying here since this is an appropriate thread.

This is your first oil change I guess? Stick to mineral for the time being. Let it run on mineral till 10k kms then shift to Shell Synthetic.

Regards,
Shashi

Thanks a lot. I'm using Shell 5W30 in my 2005 Zen LXi (69000 kms run till date) and I am very happy with the increased smoothness. I will stick to mineral oil for my Alto till 10000 kms.

Some more information about the new 0W16 oil used by all K series engines today:

-There are two vendors, Idemitsu and Shell.

-Idemitsu is widely available across dealerships.

-Came to know that Maruti uses Shell at factory.

-Part number for Idemitsu is 99999MN0W16-IDT. For Shell it is 99999MN0W16-SHL

Idemitsu:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img20200724wa0037.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img20200724wa0038.jpg

Shell:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20200730_115055.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20200730_115106.jpg