Team-BHP - Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/187331-approved-engine-oils-maruti-suzuki-21.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by babukvishnu (Post 5573501)
Do they make any special remarks in the service bill such as "customer supplied oil" ? Next time I plan to escalate it to MSIL customer care for permitting me to carry in my choice of oil.

Yeah, just at the bottom of the bill there is a header called - Recommendations. Under that they insert a line engine oil provided by customer.

Just got my Baleno's (K12M) oil change done at ASC.

The oil they used is 9999EMOOW20-CAS (ECSTAR PETROL OW20-CASTROL)

It costed 1250 rupees. Is this a good product? Has anyone used this before.

Please share your thoughts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroun (Post 5602488)

The oil they used is 9999EMOOW20-CAS (ECSTAR PETROL OW20-CASTROL)

It costed 1250 rupees. Is this a good product? Has anyone used this before.

Ecstar is Suzuki branded oil made by different manufacturers like Shell, Idemitsu, Castrol etc for Suzuki and is the correct oil

Hi Team,

My question is how well does the 0W16 oil work under high operating temps particularly in Delhi summers?

Is it safe?

I have bought a new Jimny and the recommended oil is 0W16.

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjunrudra (Post 5623182)
I have bought a new Jimny and the recommended oil is 0W16. Can anyone shed light on this issue?

I think the oils with 16 weight are a joke. They are as good as water. What kind of lubrication will they provide? How much closer tolerances can be practically designed? Will they recommend just zero weight oils at some point!

They are doing it to extract more and more fuel efficiency, while compromising on engine life. The idea is nothing will happen within the first five or six years, and most owners change cars at that point.

In your shoes, I will use 0W30 or 5W30 oil without hesitation for Chennai summers. Delhi summers are even hotter. Probably I will lose 1 kmpl in fuel efficiency, but that is fine with me.

Since your car is within warranty, you should use only the recommended oil. If possible during next oil change casually tell the SA to fill 0W30 or 5W30, if it is done at the MASS the warranty will hold good. Just ensure he doesn't write anything on the job card such as "customer wants 30w oil" and everything will be fine! They should have and fill the oil, don't take it with you. Not during warranty period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 5623361)
Will they recommend just zero weight oils at some point!

Japan already uses 0w8 grade engine oil. Won't be surprised if that would make it to India. For warranty claims, its better to stick to recommended oil.

My 2022 BS6 Maruti Suzuki Ignis's (K12M) owner manual states the oil grade as 0W20, but on my first oil change, Nexa service has billed 0W16 oil. Should I be concerned? My car is used mostly intra city in Bangalore.

I believe the prices for 0W16 and 0W20 is same, and from the drums at service center, I see the 0W20 is a shell fully synthetic oil. But the service adviser mentioned it as being semi-synthetic.

Ignis continues to use non-dualjet K12M engine unlike K12N, K12C). I think it also has lesser compression ratio compared to K12C.

Hi everyone,

Today, I took my Fronx Turbo 1.0 AT for its 1st service at 1000 km. I wanted to get the oil changed as a precaution.

As expected, the service advisor was not aware that the turbo model requires a different grade of oil (5W30) compared to the non-turbo model (0W16). They didn't have it at the moment, claimed to have it until 2 weeks back, and weren't very eager to arrange it soon enough or in smaller-than-bulk quantities.

What has confused me even more are the following 3 things:

1. The Quality mentioned in the manual is API SP, SN and ILSAC GF-6. In one page, only API SP or ILSAC GF-6 is specified, whereas other pages give option of API SN as well. Does it mean that older quality type API SN can be used? I have understood as much that API SP is the latest, API SP with Resource Conservation matches ILSAC GF-6, and API SN/SN+ is older than both of these. API SP and ILSAC GF-6 are specifically designed for new turbo models around the world.

2. I saw barrels of Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W30 in a corner of the service centre. In so far as I have checked, Castrol has one very specific grade of Magnatec that comes in API SP quality, whereas rest is maxed out at API SN. I called up another workshop, and they didn't have Castrol, but rather Idemitsu, for which I could not find any API SP quality 5w30 grade oil anywhere. Both have API SN though. I have checked at few MGP stores and couldn't find them there.

3. Manual has not mentioned any brands. I'd like to have a backup since they don't seem to be stocking it everywhere. Should I be looking for Maruti branded oils, or can I simply put the required grade and quality of oil from any brand - and whether this will affect my warrant? Note that the Service Centre was more than happy to write "oil provided by customer" on the bill. I would be very happy to put the best oil, cost no bar, but I definitely don't want to blow the warranty.

Page where manual clearly says API SP or ILSAC GF-6. Also that MS Genuine Oil is recommended.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-image-051223-9.35-pm.jpeg

Page where both API SP or API SN are specified.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-image-051223-9.29-pm.jpeg

Page where both API SP or API SN are specified. No brands are mentioned.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-image-051223-9.30-pm.jpeg

Yes, API SN of any brand can be used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowDough (Post 5674434)
Hi everyone,

Today, I took my Fronx Turbo 1.0 AT for its 1st service at 1000 km. I wanted to get the oil changed as a precaution.

As expected, the service advisor was not aware that the turbo model requires a different grade of oil (5W30) compared to the non-turbo model (0W16). They didn't have it at the moment, claimed to have it until 2 weeks back, and weren't very eager to arrange it soon enough or in smaller-than-bulk quantities.

Engine oils are usually changed for every 10,000 kms or every 1 year, which ever comes first. All the metal dust and particles will be stored in the engine oil filter and the oil filter is also changed when the engine oil is changed.

And for 5W30 viscosity of the engine oil, I would recommend to go for Shell HX5. Maruti Suzuki has a Shell MGO Premium Multigrade Oil (Part Number: SHELL5W30MGO3). But this is an API SL grade oil which means there could be more percentage of additives which could poison the catalytic converter or may not meet the BS6.2 emission standard. Also note that this is a pure mineral oil and not semi-synthetic or fully synthetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyblr (Post 5677363)
Engine oils are usually changed for every 10,000 kms or every 1 year, which ever comes first. All the metal dust and particles will be stored in the engine oil filter and the oil filter is also changed when the engine oil is changed.

And for 5W30 viscosity of the engine oil, I would recommend to go for Shell HX5. Maruti Suzuki has a Shell MGO Premium Multigrade Oil (Part Number: SHELL5W30MGO3). But this is an API SL grade oil which means there could be more percentage of additives which could poison the catalytic converter or may not meet the BS6.2 emission standard. Also note that this is a pure mineral oil and not semi-synthetic or fully synthetic.

Thanks mate! I wanted to get the engine oil and oil filter changed as a precaution after the run-in. I know that it is not needed as per manual, but changing oils sooner than recommended is a practice that I have followed for my other vehicles. Fronx's manual mentions driving precautions similar to run-in period for 1st 1000 km, and hence I felt that this precautionary oil change would be good for long term ownership.

I have seen that Shell oil, thanks for helping with it!

I found out that Maruti has only one synthetic based engine oil of 5W30 grade - Castrol Magnatec Professional 99999MS5W30-CAS - and is API SN rated. This is the only one to be found in all of their workshops and official brochures. They don't have an authorised fully synthetic 5W30 oil, even from Castrol, which sells other API SP rated fully synthetic oils under the same Magnatec brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowDough (Post 5677672)

I have seen that Shell oil, thanks for helping with it!

You can safely go for Idemitsu. It's trusted by major Japanese car makers, like Toyota, Honda and Suzuki. Toyota's entire lube lineup is by Idemitsu.
Else Shell too is good, currently my 2013 Wagon R K10 is running on Shell 5w30. Before going for Shell, was using Idemitsu. Switched to Shell as I have decided to get the oil changed at Shell Petrol station near my residence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakesh_r (Post 5677782)
You can safely go for Idemitsu. It's trusted by major Japanese car makers, like Toyota, Honda and Suzuki. Toyota's entire lube lineup is by Idemitsu.

Thanks Rakesh. Maruti didn't have a approved Idemitsu 5W30 oil, but I saw them, and good to know they are approved by Toyota. I am also planning to start using Shell for my other car which is out of warranty. Will do that for Fronx too once it's warranty is over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 5623361)
I think the oils with 16 weight are a joke. They are as good as water. What kind of lubrication will they provide? How much closer tolerances can be practically designed? Will they recommend just zero weight oils at some point!

I used to work at Maruti service. Initial K10B & K12B engines had 5w30 recommendation. They bought in 0w20 recommendation for post 2014 K series engines. Post 2014 K10 (K-Next), K12M and K14B engines had reworked internals, higher compression ratio and tighter tolerances. Then post 2020 engines like K15B, K15C, K12N dualjet and K10C dualjet have even higher compression ratio, hence the 0w16 recommendation. Yes these 0w oils flow like water, but they are one of the reasons behind the ultra-refined nature of current K series engines. And I've seen many Baleno's and Swifts with over 1.5 lakh kms on odo running on MGO 0w20 oil, so longetivity is not an issue.

I have myself shifted to 5w30 on my 2006 F10D WagonR. There is an oil chart shown in the owners manual depicting useable oil range from 5w30 to 20w50, but the recommended grade is 20w40. Shifting to 5w30 has totally transformed my car. For starters, the engine now likes to revv and it revvs freely & quickly. Engine now feels 'lighter', if that makes any sense lol: Overtaking is a breeze, 0-100 acceleration is quick. Overall driveability has improved significantly. Now the car pulls cleanly from as low as ~40 kph in 5th gear, without any struggle. Fuel efficiency has improved from 12-13 kpl to a consistent 15-17 kpl with A/C. A/C lag has also reduced considerably. Cold starting is quicker, engine warms up fast. And there is no drop in oil level even at 10k kms, which is the recommended oil chage interval. My car is now almost 18 years old and done 1 lakh+ kms, yet there is zero compression loss. Overall, I am fully satisfied. Never going back to thick oils like 20w40/20w50. Did used to get slightly better smoothness with 20w40, but that was the only good thing about it.

I feel that these thinner 0w and 5w oils offer superior protection. A cold start to warm up duration is where most of the wear and tear happens. These thin oils flow instantly during cold start and that really helps to reduce time required for engine warm up. In other words, they really help to maintain the 'tightness' of the engine. And at operating temperature, any grade be it w20, w30 or w40 offers more than enough protection. Even Honda now recommends 5w30 for their bs6 scooters and motorcycles, that is really saying something. My friend has a bs6 Activa run 60k kms on Honda OE 5w30 oil, it's engine is still as tight and refined as brand new!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RD410 (Post 5678408)
Yes these 0w oils flow like water, but they are one of the reasons behind the ultra-refined nature of current K series engines.

Another factor, its the variable valve train which uses engine oil to actuate the valve gears, another reason why I would stick to recommended engine oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowDough (Post 5678383)
Thanks Rakesh. Maruti didn't have a approved Idemitsu 5W30 oil, but I saw them, and good to know they are approved by Toyota. I am also planning to start using Shell for my other car which is out of warranty. Will do that for Fronx too once it's warranty is over.

The newest lineup from Idemitsu for your reference. This is one the engine oils that truly lasts 10000km.