Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 20:49   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Guys, This is my honest opinion. I agree that TKM should have checked for this defect during quality assurance testing and rectified before delivery. However, according to me, this is NOT a major issue. Again repeating the point, the car should NOT have been delivered with the issue. But, it has happened, so now, what? should the car be replaced as some are suggesting? ...
No. It is not a major fault. But it absolutely needs to be fixed, and any damaged trim should be replaced. The car should be returned to its owner as he should have got it in the first place: water-tight and as new.

Some leaks are harder to trace than others. A colleague had a leaking-windscreen issue which took two goes for the dealer to fix. It doesn't matter what car it was (but it was a higher-end model), at this might have been 30 years ago! But that doesn't mean it doesn't still happen. And get fixed.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:32   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Sir, I meant the same that they will not replace the car, and even if they decide to replace it(which they won't) I would get stuck between my financer and TKM.
My reference was to some of the 'reactions' on this thread. I know that you don't expect a replacement and instead expect TKM and the dealer to resolve this issue.

I am very keen to know the cause of this issue (windshield, antenna or something else) and just as certain there would be more than a few red faces at the factory.

As I mentioned before, my new car used to screech like those Tata/AL trucks every time I braked. Quite embarassing I tell you! It was set right by the company and I've been very pleased with the Toyota ownership experience spanning over a decade.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th June 2017 at 21:36.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 11:58   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Now, what is the new buyer suppose to do?
How about keeping a vehicle for a TD for 24 hours and pay a nominal amount? This will help prospective buyers to know more about a car which they intend to buy.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 12:31   #64
BHPian

Anything mechanical will fail eventually. Lemons are as old as the automobile industry itself and is an accepted possibility. What is not acceptable is the response to such issues by the dealer and manufacturer. One phone call from Toyota would have worked wonders here in inspiring customer confidence. Sadly the powers that be think that their brand is big enough to ignore a single customer's plight, even more so when the customer in question believes in the Toyota brand.
Old 6th June 2017, 12:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I've never been much of a fan of Japanese cars, even in their prime age of "quality" they have at best been a jack of all and master of none..

There were reports in this very forum about Toyota Etios which when first launched, didn't even come with weather gaskets on the doors and also had rattles all over the place. The current Etios though vastly improved is still far from a good car.
Okay, This is a Crysta thread and I apologise for going OT here, but calling the Etios "far from a good car" is uncalled for and just plain unfair on the car.
Yes the 1st gen Etios was a rattle-king and interiors felt below par, but it did the basics right. Reliable, punchy petrol, decent commuter diesel. Toyota did many years of on-road and simulated testing for it, so it turned out to be pretty much a bulletproof car. Samba da's car on the forum is proof of that!
The new platinum Etios is improved in almost every respect compared to the old car :
Insulation, Refinement - Decent
Handling - Very good
Steering - Good, by Jap standards
Power - Very good (Petrol)
Safety - Good

So, all in all, as a car it is very good. Even GTO praised the engine's peppy, fun-to-drive nature.
Where it does lack is in the infotainment department, no Apple Carplay,etc. But I don't think a CAR should be judged for it's entertainment gadgetry, at least by us petrolheads. It's after all a car and not a smart TV, or an iPhone.

Again, apologies for going OT.
Old 6th June 2017, 13:15   #66
BHPian

A new point to be added to Team BHP's PDI List: Take a bucket (or two) of water and pour it over the car - watch for any leaks within the cabin and request for a different car immediately if there is water in the cabin!

With this level of cost cutting by manufacturers, I don't know whether to look forward to new cars or be happy with our existing "old models".
vsathyap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:23   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
A new point to be added to Team BHP's PDI List: Take a bucket (or two) of water and pour it over the car ...
You need more than a bucket or two. You need a hose. And concentrate it on glass edges, antennae, etc. This should be a good test, but, depending on the available water pressure, a monsoon storm might be better!

Whilst a pressure washer might, in some ways, be the ideal tool, I feel that people are over-enthusiastic with pressure washers anyway, and, if used on full, concentrated force, they could cause a problem. On the other hand, as I mentioned already, if there is a problem already, I'd expect the dealer to be using high-pressure water to locate it.
Old 7th June 2017, 10:05   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

All vehicles are washed using a pressure washer or an automated car wash before delivery. These short bursts of water would highlight a leak provided the water jet was aimed the same spot on the body where the seal is faulty.

The OP has faced leakage in (heavy?) rain and exacerbated by a moving vehicle. There's a difference in the volume of water that can enter the car body when in operation and during a PDI or a wash at the dealer. The soak test at the factory tries to emulate continuous rainfall.

Assuming no post shipment (from the factory) damage to the windshield sealant and antenna rubber seals I believe this is a fault that originated at the factory due to a QC screw up.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 00:11   #69
BHPian

Quote:
r, and even if they decide to replace it(which they won't) I would get stuck between my financer and TKM.

With regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
A ₹25 lakh Innova Crysta leaking like an autorickshaw is totally unacceptable. Also the pathetic response shown by the dealer towards you is frustrating to say the least. I hope the dealer has managed to rectify the issue in the first go and henceforth you experience the same ownership as you did with your older Innova.

All Toyota had to do was say, "We are sorry" and give you a proper reason for the leak with proof. This would have lead to a major cut down on all the mental stress you underwent.

Same as you I have a 2009 Innova and am looking to buy a Crysta next year, will I not buy the car after reading this thread ? No, I will buy but just hope that Toyota gets their act together and not let such incidents occur.

A company that is usually on top of any manfacturing/component defects and recalls vehicles to ensure the customer has the promised Q experience should not be lax towards these incidents. Even I tweeted this thread along with a small rant to Toyota India but got no response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
A new point to be added to Team BHP's PDI List: Take a bucket (or two) of water and pour it over the car - watch for any leaks within the cabin and request for a different car immediately if there is water in the cabin!

With this level of cost cutting by manufacturers, I don't know whether to look forward to new cars or be happy with our existing "old models".
Why lift heavy buckets of water? Might I suggest buying a tube of heavy-duty silicone sealant and applying it around possible leak prone areas on the outer body. I would much rather be at peace knowing my car is now double strong against leaks rather than increase my blood pressure after spotting leaks in the shower test.

Now don't nobody go around applying silicone sealant on your new cars around the sharkfin antenna and windshields.

This is just a spur of the moment joke no offence meant.

Last edited by Shanksta : 8th June 2017 at 00:16.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 21:09   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
1. However, according to me, this is NOT a major issue. Again repeating the point, the car should NOT have been delivered with the issue.
So, this is somewhat similar issue. Not that Metal ROOF is leaking OR WINDSHIELD HAS A HOLE for water leak.

2. Note: I am Toyota Die hard fan and personally know what is Toyota Quality. My honest opinion, There is no other car company in India who cares so much for quality even today.
1. Not a major issue ? There is a leak in the roof, (dunno if there is an external antenna mount there) and the water is percolating through a large enough hole, through the roof liner and into the light assy. Can you imagine where all water ingress could have occurred ? Have the dealer guys taken out the roof liner for a detailed inspection ? I'm sure they have cleaned the place after probably replacing the light assy !

2. That's the precise reason Toyota holds us to ransom with those insane prices. Because we pay ! And still are die hard fans !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
1. Yes the 1st gen Etios was a rattle-king and interiors felt below par, but it did the basics right. Reliable, punchy petrol, decent commuter diesel.

2. The new platinum Etios is improved in almost every respect compared to the old car :
Insulation, Refinement - Decent
Handling - Very good
Steering - Good, by Jap standards
Power - Very good (Petrol)
Safety - Good
1. The 1st gen Indica was on the same lines, albeit 15 years ago. The Q king Toyota can pull that off in 2010 with the etios, and we STILL believe in the greatness of the Q !

2. The new Indica / Indigo gave one better features and value was there no doubt ! Stop being biased to the point of running off the road ! Good, by Jap standards ! TATA's quality is heaven by Indian standards, should I say ? what sort of comparison is that ? Please agree to the fact that the etios is a dud and no matter what Toyota does to it, it will remain a dud. Period.

Sadly, they had one cash cow, the old Innova. And like the golden goose story, they got greedy and killed it !

Last edited by Aditya : 20th June 2017 at 07:31. Reason: Objectionable words deleted
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 21:53   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
1. Not a major issue ?
2. That's the precise reason Toyota holds us to ransom with those insane prices. Because we pay ! And still are die hard fans !

The Q king Toyota can pull that off in 2010 with the etios, and we STILL believe in the greatness of the Q !

Stop being biased to the point of running off the road ! Good, by Jap standards ! TATA's quality is heaven by Indian standards, should I say ? what sort of comparison is that ? Please agree to the fact that the etios is a dud and no matter what Toyota does to it, it will remain a dud. Period.
Dear BHPians, I am using the post by @lifebuoy only as an example of what I see often on our otherwise lovely forum. This is not an indictment against @lifebuoy in any way.

The forum is about exchanging opinions, sharing facts, sharing wisdom, solving problems...and these actually BHPians deliver on with great competence and timeliness. But often times I can't help notice our passions run over and we start attacking the other member and his wisdom instead of offering our (different) opinion. as we know each member here is entitled to his/her view - we may disagree but we should refrain from attacking the member. His view is as valid in his eyes as ours is in our eyes. Just a small suggestion.

Maybe at 57 I am out of sync with the mores of social media but after seeing rude anonymous attacks several dozen times a week I felt compelled to voice this view. Age wise I am probably in the bottom 0.1% of T-BHP so if this is out of sync with the group consign it to a generation gap.

Dear Moderators - please feel free to delete this post if it is against our rules.
Dear @lifebuoy - no offense meant to you. Just that after reading your post the cup ran over.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th June 2017 at 07:28. Reason: Quoted text edited
V.Narayan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 11:19   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
1. The 1st gen Indica was on the same lines, albeit 15 years ago. The Q king Toyota can pull that off in 2010 with the etios, and we STILL believe in the greatness of the Q !

2. The new Indica / Indigo gave one better features and value was there no doubt ! Stop being biased to the point of running off the road ! Good, by Jap standards ! TATA's quality is heaven by Indian standards, should I say ? what sort of comparison is that ?
How can you compare the Indica and Indigo to the Etios?!
I do admit, the Indica was revolutionary for what it brought to the Indian market at the time. But it never really evolved after that.
I am not being biased at all. If I was, I wouldn't have listed the car's shortcomings like infotainment, dash quality, etc. I do like a well put-together car though, and in terms of driving experience, the new Etios definitely isn't a dud.

And to clarify, "Good, by Jap standards" is what I used to describe the steering, not overall quality! That is, in terms of feel, feedback and weighing up at high speeds. These are some basic traits every well-engineered car must have, because after all it's a car. Speaking of overall quality, yes, it's definitely not up to Toyota standards, but then this IS available for what can be considered a "bargain price" in today's market, what, with the Ignis pushing 10L OTR.

I think we should stop this discussion here, because it's way OFF TOPIC now. Hope you agree.
Old 10th June 2017, 10:14   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sadly, this isn't a one-off issue. Here's another Innova Crysta with a water leakage problem. Thanks to Husain Mohammed for sharing!

Quote:
We got the Innova Crysta just in time for the marriage. Then the leaking issue happened.

This is what transpired after I reached out to you.

The dealers sought help from Toyota engineers, obviously they were trying to avoid any replacement of the vehicle. Solution they came up with was to replace the whole windshield assembly. They replaced the windshield glass, various window dams etc (Please refer the attachment) under warranty. After extensive testing, it was ready to go. We also checked and we were satisfied.

Since then, the leaking problem never came back. Now the Innova is thriving in heavy Kerala Monsoons.
Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?-kl07bztp7105page001.jpg
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 13:32   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear @lifebuoy - no offense meant to you. Just that after reading your post the cup ran over.
Dear Sir,
That was exactly my reaction on reading the post I commented on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
How can you compare the Indica and Indigo to the Etios?!

I think we should stop this discussion here, because it's way OFF TOPIC now. Hope you agree.
I was comparing the gullible mindsets that we "kaalu" Indians had, have and seem to gloat about even now ! Why cannot the Indigo be compared to the etios ? They fall in the same functionality, size, appx cost bracket. Both are extensively used as taxis. What else are comparison parameters ?

What I understand from your reply is that Toyota cannot be compared with a TATA !
Old 10th June 2017, 14:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:

If this is what Toyota is doing in Quality Control then our next car would surely be a Hexa.
Hey Shreyas,
So sorry to know about the agony you're going through. After paying 25 big ones on a Toyota, I would expect some peace of mind. Despite the asking price from Toyota is more than what the vehicle is worth, we as consumers are paying a premium over its competition just for that 'T' reliability, quality and peace of mind which was re-assuring. But Alas!! Despite it's ever increasing price, there's no increase in their levels of quality and the quality levels have deteriorated over time. Secondly, even the TASS has to be blamed for not taking any proper reaction to ensure customer satisfaction.

I feel that my Hexa has definitely been successful in giving me both peace of mind and a good ASS for the time-being though.

It's high time that folks @Toyota pull up their socks and ensure they give the customer the service what they deserve.

Do update us on your situation.

Thanks,
Varun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks