Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: VW owners, how was your experience?
I got the update & it was good / neutral 20 12.99%
I got the update & I'm unhappy with it 50 32.47%
I'm not taking my car in for the update 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 22:03   #31
BHPian

Re: VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?

Make: 2011 Polo
Engine: 1.2
Experience in words: Unhappy. Lost the turbo kick. It's a very linear acceleration now. Still manages to take off the start line in a traffic signal in a jiffy, but sorely miss my neck getting pulled back to the headrest.
kutts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 08:48   #32

Polo 1.5 TDI - 2014

For the past four months I've been receiving calls from my dealer once in two weeks saying that they have organised a camp for a free software update and that it includes a free water wash . When asked about its effects, they said there might be more engine noise for a few weeks and that my FE might improve. Every time they call I've been asking them to send a sample vehicle with the update to my home for a test drive and that if I am happy with it, I will come and get it done. Each time they said that they will check with a service advisor and get back to me but they never did. Then after a couple of weeks they call me back and start with the free camp BS. I am never going to get it done. Now that my car is out of warranty I am thinking I should never take it to them again because they might do it without my consent. It would be really useful if some lawyer who owns a TDI files a case against VW asking for proper compensation .
Dusk Tiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 11:58   #33
BHPian

Make: VW Passat Highline (2012)
Engine: 2.0 TDi with DSG
Experience: I have been called 5 times for a software update. Every time I have asked VW Downtown to get me a letter from VW India in writing that there is no change in engine power & torque characteristics after the modification. Till date there is no letter. I am not going to do do the update - VW can keep their Rs. 1,000/- kit.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:52   #34
BHPian

Car is 2011 Vento with 1.6 TDI engine.

I was told there will be a change in performance. I also did some research. It turns out that the 1.6 TDI engine in fact gains some performance in terms of Power and Torque but the gains come later in the RPM curve. Was on the fence at the dealership and called dad. He was all for it more for the green concerns.

Post fix the turbo surge at around 2000-2500 RPM it not there. It was frankly a bit unsettling sometimes. Now the output builds in a much more linear manner. I have no track times but I think this will be a better performing engine all round even though the surge is now gone.

I will do fuel efficiency calibration and post results as well.
BowMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:53   #35
anb
BHPian

My Polo 1.5 GT TDi got updated yesterday. The punch in the mid and high rpms has reduced and engine noise has increased considerably .

Last edited by GTO : 22nd June 2017 at 08:20.
anb is online now   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st June 2017, 22:14   #36

Mine was done a few months back, and I was amongst the first to do so.. I drive a Jetta 2.0 automatic.

The first thing I noticed was I was driving some other car, it was much refined, linearly responsive, torquey at a lower rpm, means the stop start traffic seemed a bit more responsive, whereas the power delivery when pushed seemed like that of a lower spec engine.
The car stopped responding the way it used to do earlier, and I started feeling a lot disconnected..
I just did not get the grunt any more.. overtaking was not as simple as before..

In all the car has lost what it had.

Post that of course, I have had plenty of issues starting after the 45000 KM service.. and the experience has started to wear out.. no problem is resolved but a part is replaced..

Does our country have any rules for manufacturers changing specifications in between?
vaskarnag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 23:45   #37
BHPian

Make: Polo HL 2013
Engine: 1.2 TDI

Experience: I haven't found any difference in performance after the update except the gear downshift notification in MDI. I feel engine sound is better after the update. I am satisfied overall though disappointed with useless freebies given by VW.
msiva75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 10:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Voted : I got the update & I'm unhappy with it.

Make: VW Jetta 2 TDI Highline MT
Engine: 2 TDI (1968 cc)
Experience in words: I totally disliked the car once it was updated,
Could not have agreed more, i own a 2012 Jetta TDI comfortline, the car has become dull to drive, I am going for a remap now.

Thanks
Motoringlover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:26   #39
BHPian

I own a Skoda Rapid 1.6tdi and was being forced to carry out the software update during my 45000 kms service. I knew that my vehicle was likely to loose the punch and so I went all out to ensure that it's not done.

Mahavir Skoda didn't close the job card and didn't give me the invoice for the servicing.

Subsequently I spoke to their CRM stating that Skoda can't enforce this on me as the vehicle belongs to owner and not Skoda. If something is mandatory then it had to come from the RTO and not Skoda SA and finally managed to get the invoice also.

I can't let go of the punchanged that comes from 1750-4000 RPM and it is as simple as that.
cruising_rapid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:34   #40
BHPian

I got the update & I'm unhappy with it.

Make : VW Jetta 2 TDI CL MT
Engine : 2.0 TDI
Verdict after remap: The punch is gone. As many have stated before, I don't feel the difference much in city driving. But once you are on the highway - you keep waiting for the beast to wake up but it doesn't happen.
FireFoot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:33   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.nishant89 View Post

One difference i noticed after the update is the suggestion for earlier upshifts. At first i didnt notice it because i do not rev the engine high. I change my gears around 2200 rpm. It was when i took off from the start, after about 4 days, that i saw that the gear shifts are being suggested at a lower rev range. I preferred to ignore this and drove as normal and didnt find much of a change. The engine seemed smooth and the noise seemed controlled.

Thanks,
Nishant
Hey can you ascertain the exact RPMs at which the MID shows an upshift? From above it seems that you upshift later than suggested by MID computer (after the ECU flash) so has it taken toll on FE? Or there aint any difference in FE?
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:40   #42

Make: VW Jetta 2.0 TDI Highline MT
Engine: 2.0 TDI
Experience in words: Not updated yet, and not going to either. Have got four calls from VW for the update, the latest one this morning but have been telling them that I will get it done when I send the car for the yearly service. Now that the time for servicing has come, I am going to categorically tell them not to run the software update on my car. Have read & heard of many experiences of fellow BHPians, most of which tell me that I am going to lose the "punch" of the car, something I definitely am not up for.
Voted- I'm not taking my car in for the update
AjayS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 02:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Hey can you ascertain the exact RPMs at which the MID shows an upshift? From above it seems that you upshift later than suggested by MID computer (after the ECU flash) so has it taken toll on FE? Or there aint any difference in FE?
So, i will put both scenarios and the FE in perspective to eachother:

Prior to the update:
Upshift was being prompted only at 2000 rpm and as i wrote before, i used to upshift around 2200 rpm then, while in city and in highway both. while driving in the 5th (last gear) on highways, i still use to keep to the rpm range of a max 2500.
FE in city: 14 in really bad traffic condition, 18-20 at night depending on how light the traffic was.
FE in highways, for most of the long trips i did, FE stayed constant at around 23.

Post Update:
Upshift is being prompted at 1500 rpm while i still upshift at 2200 rpm.
FE in city: still the same. No change despite maintaining
FE in highways: I tested it out once and i was getting around 22 for a 65 km drive on Hyderabad ORR from the Airport to Bollaram Exit 4. The usage pattern remained the same and so did all other metrics.

One point to note and this is immediately after the service, i did experience the vehicle stop twice or thrice when i released the clutch from stand still but that said, once i got a hold of it and since then have not had any issues after the initial hiccup.

Hope this helps
gopal.nishant89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:44   #44
BHPian

So glad that i drive a 2015 vento TSI, feel sorry for others who are now driving detuned volkswagen's. I was always and will always be against diesel cars, volkswagen must not be left off so easily in India.
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:31   #45
BHPian

Post the diesel gate annoucement my car has been to the workshop twice. My car was picked purchased in Pune but I live in Bangalore. Apparently the dealer in Pune called me couple of weeks back to get my Engine Management software updated. I am not sure if this is the same as the person calling was not aware of the details. Also since I have already gotten it serviced for different reasons I thought the patch was already applied. I don't think they have done it since the car pick up seems to be unaffected.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks