Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: VW owners, how was your experience?
I got the update & it was good / neutral 20 12.99%
I got the update & I'm unhappy with it 50 32.47%
I'm not taking my car in for the update 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2018, 07:56   #106
BHPian

Re: VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?

I am experiencing noticeable amount of loss in power and increased engine sound after the update. I am interested in a rollback if possible. Does anyone know a place in Kochi that can do this? Do they do it in Pete's? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Flyer : 9th June 2018 at 08:00.
Old 9th June 2018, 08:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I am experiencing noticeable amount of loss in power and increased engine sound after the update. I am interested in a rollback if possible. Does anyone know a place in Kochi that can do this? Do they do it in Pete's? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Refer to post no.94 in the previous page. There are contacts provided.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 09:45   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Does anyone know a place in Kochi that can do this? Do they do it in Pete's? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Check with Code 6 or Wolf Moto in Kochi. If your previous SW version is available with them, they should be able to do it.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 00:25   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Could someone throw some light into ARRAI's role regarding similar changes made to already ARRAI approved vehicles.

I mean, would it not require further approvals from regulators like ARRAI, MVD etc?

The local MVDs on the prowl, always have a ready statement that 'all non-approved modifications or changes to registered vehicles are illegal'.
ARAI isn’t interested in road test results as long as the vehicles are compliant upon leaving the factory.

“PUNE: City-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) will not retest fixed Volkswagen (VW) cars on road after the company is done with the recall process as “this is beyond the regulatory purview”.
“Retesting of cars will be carried out only to verify the regulatory conformance. Real driving emission measurement is not a part of the regulations,” said Rashmi Urdhwareshe, director, ARAI.”
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/54530792.cms

We can and should petition VW/Skoda India to return our vehicles’ ECUs to original condition.
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:12   #110
BHPian

I as most of you have been shrugging the voluntary recall for obvious reasons.

Recently, the Workshop Manager from Shaman sent me this letter on whatsapp and asked me to sign the same.

I told him that I am not interested in either speaking with you or getting this update done without speaking with some technical person from VW India.

My question to VW is:-
1. When these cars were sold to customers in India, did they meet Bharat Stage IV emission requirements completely?
2. If yes, then why do they want to carry out the software update? Specially since the software update results in loss of power & torque.
3. If the software update is necessary, then in the first place VW has sold non-compliant cars to customers and therefore the compensation needs to be much more than a Rs. 1,100/- cleaning kit.

Have any of you experienced similar situations?
Attached Thumbnails
VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?-e09701918d6c4ac3b84d637f3a211472.jpg  

rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 14:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebeauty View Post
Mod note: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for replies, it affects readability. Thanks.

Thanks for starting this thread. Can I opt "not-to" update the software in my car? I own a 2014 purchased Vento, I have been getting multiple calls from dealer to bring the car for update but I have not taken the car for update. My service is due this month and I am worried if they ll update the software without my knowledge.
Probably not anymore,

I just gave my vehicle Polo 1.5 for servicing today and they refused to open a job card without this software update. I had refused the update, in the past, including giving it in writing one year ago. The same advisor/manager recognized me and informed that the software update is not avoidable anymore.

It will be an interesting drive for me back home today.

Regards
Bharath
Old 18th July 2018, 14:20   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Probably not anymore,

I just gave my vehicle Polo 1.5 for servicing today and they refused to open a job card without this software update. I had refused the update, in the past, including giving it in writing one year ago. The same advisor/manager recognized me and informed that the software update is not avoidable anymore.

Regards
Bharath
This insistence was probably caused by the query to VW by the court, recently, asking about why a large number of vehicles haven't been recalled for the "patch".
Old 18th July 2018, 14:28   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

With my car entering the fifth year of its life, I no longer have any pressure to go to VW dealers for warranty-scam services, so even if they introduce a policy of mandatory update I can just stay away.

None the less, will still follow these topics. The law, the updated, or the recommendations of fellow members may change in the future.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 15:05   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
My question to VW is:-
1. When these cars were sold to customers in India, did they meet Bharat Stage IV emission requirements completely?
2. If yes, then why do they want to carry out the software update? Specially since the software update results in loss of power & torque.
3. If the software update is necessary, then in the first place VW has sold non-compliant cars to customers and therefore the compensation needs to be much more than a Rs. 1,100/- cleaning kit.
Quote:
Probably not anymore,

Regards
Bharath
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
This insistence was probably caused by the query to VW by the court, recently, asking about why a large number of vehicles haven't been recalled for the "patch".
VW had it easy in our country! Offer the customers cleaning kit which costs peanuts for bringing in their vehicles for an update which hampers the performance of the vehicle.

Why did not VW TDI customers in India (i was one) not get any sort goodwill package in India?
VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?-vwgoodwill.png

Why did VW have it easy in India? What does the VW customer get* for going through with the update which hampers the original performance of the vehicle? Now the court is after (asking questions, don't expect anything else) VW and they are forcing the customers by denying service? In the end customer is the loser and that is how things are in this part of the world. Sad.

*Its better VW use their cleaning kit themselves to get rid of the muck they are in. MRP1100/- cleaning kit probably costs half that much to make or less.

Last edited by Sankar : 18th July 2018 at 15:10.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2018, 21:16   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Probably not anymore,

Regards

Bharath

Hello All,

I got my car back this evening after the service and the software update. The drive back home was close to 30 kms and subject to a variety of driving conditions.

The car is now behaving like a perfect gentleman doing only what it is told in a nice graceful manner. It is not the wild thing I fell for 4 years ago. For example the surge when I release the clutch, say in a second gear, is not there most times and the car just moves forward peacefully.

The sound of the clatter at times is more/different and is obviously new for me. For example climbing a slope in first gear will surely bring out the loud noise.

The low end is still strong in good measure and drivability is also fine. In fact it was very relaxing with not much for me to expect or to do. The high speed drives still seem the same. But there are sudden small jerks felt while sudden braking and this is different from earlier. Maybe the poise is missing.

I think I can get used to this. Hopefully no surprises in the days and miles to come.

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 21:45   #116
BHPian

Hello All,

I was contemplating a remap of the ecu on my Polo 1.5 TDI. It has been given the software update by the VW guys. Is it safe in all respects to get this remap? I am getting it done at Petes Hyderabad. I am concerned because the software update may have also included a mechanical change to the engine.

Please advise...

Regards
Bharath
Old 6th August 2018, 09:28   #117
BHPian

There are no mechanical changes to the engine.This is just a software update done by VW to cover their scam.
Nothing to worry you can get the car mapped.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 10:13   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
There are no mechanical changes to the engine.This is just a software update done by VW to cover their scam.
Nothing to worry you can get the car mapped.
Thanks for the message,

Isn't there a Flow Transformer/Straightener fitted on the 1.5 and 1.6 TDI as part of the update? This physical change is what I am concerned about.

Can we do a remap without removing this Flow Transformer?

Regards
Bharath
Old 18th August 2018, 01:31   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

I was contemplating a remap of the ecu on my Polo 1.5 TDI. It has been given the software update by the VW guys. Is it safe in all respects to get this remap? I am getting it done at Petes Hyderabad. I am concerned because the software update may have also included a mechanical change to the engine.

Please advise...

Regards
Bharath

Mine was the one of the first few vehicles(1.5 TDI) on which VW emission remap was done. It happened without my knowledge when i went to ASC for rectifying some minor issues and there was a significant decrease in power and torque after the remap with increased engine noise. Post the confidence shared by bhpians i did ECU remap from Petes an year back after which i am able to give tough competition to innova segment and the car is perfectly fine till date. Please ensure that you charge your battery when the remapping is done, failing which you run the risk of draining your battery totally , which happened in my case, as petes did the remap at my doorsteps in chennai. The flow transformer was not removed.
anandharamanp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 10:48   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
Mine was the one of the first few vehicles(1.5 TDI) on which VW emission remap was done. It happened without my knowledge when i went to ASC for rectifying some minor issues and there was a significant decrease in power and torque after the remap with increased engine noise. Post the confidence shared by bhpians i did ECU remap from Petes an year back after which i am able to give tough competition to innova segment and the car is perfectly fine till date. Please ensure that you charge your battery when the remapping is done, failing which you run the risk of draining your battery totally , which happened in my case, as petes did the remap at my doorsteps in chennai. The flow transformer was not removed.
Thanks Anandh,

Infact I got my Polo remapped with the Quantum Red Mapping option last week. It was done at home just like yours and took two iterations to get the desired drive feel. I may have paid amost twice as much as what it costs with Petes.

Good low end and appreciable mid range is what i experience. The in gear acceleration is great in all gears. I have not tested the top end and do not have intentions to. I also experience the sudden surge and a mild pushed back in the seat feeling.

Though when i press down the pedal, suddenly, on certain occasions, it reacts with the tractor sound that was introduced with the software update at the service center.

Also there is no hardware change at all including removing the flow transformer. These guys refer to it as Stage 1 remapping.

Regards
Bharath

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks