Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: VW owners, how was your experience?
I got the update & it was good / neutral 20 12.99%
I got the update & I'm unhappy with it 50 32.47%
I'm not taking my car in for the update 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 23:10   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

After remap on top off the EA189 'fix', I am noticing a leap in FE by around 40% based on the trip meters (refueled twice). Post the VW 'fix', in mixed of city and expressway driving, the mileage was not more than 10-11 kmpl, whereas now with the remap, its purportedly giving around 15-16 kmpl!
Old 24th August 2018, 00:00   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
After remap on top off the EA189 'fix', I am noticing a leap in FE by around 40% based on the trip meters (refueled twice). Post the VW 'fix', in mixed of city and expressway driving, the mileage was not more than 10-11 kmpl, whereas now with the remap, its purportedly giving around 15-16 kmpl!
That is very interesting. I was asked to check the mileage figures from the second tank fill after the remap on the 'fix'. The first one has returned me less than before.

What remap is your by the way?

Mine is Quantum.

Regards
Bharath
Old 24th August 2018, 09:16   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
That is very interesting. I was asked to check the mileage figures from the second tank fill after the remap on the 'fix'. The first one has returned me less than before.

What remap is your by the way?

Mine is Quantum.

Regards
Bharath
Mine is from Pete's, which is again based on 'Custom Code' stage 1.
Old 24th August 2018, 23:29   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's weird. What kind of power/torque gain are you experiencing?
Old 25th August 2018, 00:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
That's weird. What kind of power/torque gain are you experiencing?
I often got around that figure or slightly less before the EA189 'fix' too, so not so weird with the figure post-remap because:
* now engine responds more eagerly to the slight touch of the gas pedal
* smoother power delivery making city driving much easier with fewer gear changes
* improved acceleration for safer overtaking
* can speed quickly and switch to a high gear for economy.
* tuned specifically to provide better mileage by altering the fueling and timing.

Stock - 138 bhp / 320 Nm
Remap (stage 1) - 170 bhp / 393 Nm (at the minimum)

In short, 25-30% more torque and power.

Last edited by iTNerd : 25th August 2018 at 00:05.
Old 25th August 2018, 08:10   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
* tuned specifically to provide better mileage by altering the fueling and timing.
Since you say it’s specifically tuned for mileage, Can you please elaborate on how a tune is done to improve fuel efficiency?
Quote:
Stock - 138 bhp / 320 Nm
Remap (stage 1) - 170 bhp / 393 Nm (at the minimum)

In short, 25-30% more torque and power.
Are these figures on the wheel or at the crank? How did you get these numbers ?

Still wondering how the FE jumped from 10 to 16 in city, where the max gears used are 3?
Old 25th August 2018, 11:15   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you say it’s specifically tuned for mileage, Can you please elaborate on how a tune is done to improve fuel efficiency?
I am no geek on the technical. However, one of the main reason to opt for a remap was to restore the mileage characteristic (which was the case before the 'fix') as Skoda won't rollback the 'fix'. And that's what I demanded from the tuner - to improve the output and efficiency by fine tuning the map to suit the characteristics of the engine.

So drive it hard, FE drops more than it did before but take it easy, FE climbs more than it did before. And especially on remapped diesel turbo, due to the increase in torque, the engine revs reduce so therefore there is an increase in FE under NORMAL driving conditions.

Quote:
Are these figures on the wheel or at the crank? How did you get these numbers ?
The gain figure is at crank. The gain is consistent for stage 1 remap across VW 2.0 tdi engines from different tuners. Of course, I have not dyno'ed my car, so can't provide a precise gain at the wheel. What matters to me is that the remap improves the drivability and power delivery and hence FE when driven in normal condition.

Quote:
Still wondering how the FE jumped from 10 to 16 in city, where the max gears used are 3?
Before the dieselgate fix, the driveability was much better with good power delivery on the original stock map and consistent FE (around 13-14 kmpl) on mixed of city and expressway condition. It is only after the dieselgate fix, which made it under-powered and sluggish, depriving the linear and peaky city drivability and consequently, resulting in considerable drop in FE.

So about the considerable gap of FE after the remap, let's take it in another way. If I had NOT applied the desielgate fix and if I were to go for a remap on my car (which delivered FE of 13 kmpl on pre deiselgate 'fix'), the figure will be more realistic?
Old 25th August 2018, 19:10   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So drive it hard, FE drops more than it did before but take it easy, FE climbs more than it did before. And especially on remapped diesel turbo, due to the increase in torque, the engine revs reduce so therefore there is an increase in FE under NORMAL driving conditions.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
The gain figure is at crank. The gain is consistent for stage 1 remap across VW 2.0 tdi engines from different tuners. Of course, I have not dyno'ed my car, so can't provide a precise gain at the wheel.
You mentioned 393NM, which is very specific, hence asked. A ballpark figure will atleast be rounded off to nearest '10's.

The reason I'm asking you this is, even I tune vehicles, but, never go by the tuners word on these figures. If you need to be sure, you need to dyno it. It varies for each vehicle.
Old 13th November 2018, 20:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my Vento 1.6 TDi updated.

Observations:
  • The worst change - There is a very discomforting "missing" "jerk" when the engine is cold, and in low rpm/load.
Hey!

I've been noticing a violent jerk at low RPMs ( below 1500 RPM) while feathering the throttle. It's gotten worse with time and it happens after the engine has warmed up. And yours is the only such report I've heard on T-BHP for the 1.6 TDI Vento.

How did you address the issue?

I initially thought it was a clogged up fuel injectors or a dirty mass air flow sensor since performance and fuel economy are down. But yesterday I happened to check on the VW website and realised that my car got updated despite giving strict instructions not to perform the update.

Anyway, my warranty is out and I was wondering if a rollback is better or a full blown remap. I would like to retain my 4 year old car for another 6 years. Reliability is my main concern and I want the car to last for the remaining intended period.
Old 14th November 2018, 14:40   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Got my Vento 1.6 TDi updated.

Observations:
  • Clatter has increased.
  • The Clatter at a particular load/rpm is really loud. Like when taking off.
  • The worst change - There is a very discomforting "missing" "jerk" when the engine is cold, and in low rpm/load.
  • Can say, there is a slight change in power and torque delivery. May be the placebo effect, not sure. Have to dyno it.
  • I never look at the gearshift indicator, but, since remap I look into it, and have found it to be very subtle in all 4 gears except 5th.
  • Fuel Efficiency has not changed, if not, increased. Got a staggering 26kmpl from Karwar to Kannur.
My friend has Skoda Rapid 1.5TDI which has run 42000kms (3.5 years old). From past 3 months, he is also facing the same jerking issue. When the engine is cold & rpm is in 1000-1200 range, pressing accelerator gives a jerk.
Once the engine warms up to 90deg, the issue goes away and it drives normal. He got his car checked up at the service center. They checked all injectors, fuel line, fuel filter, high-pressure pump. However, they found everything normal and said no issues in the car. The software update was done more than 1.5 years ago and he had not faced any issues since then. From past 3 months only, he is facing the problem and it is really irritating to drive when the engine is cold. Did you find any solutions for your problem?
Old 14th November 2018, 15:53   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Anyway, my warranty is out and I was wondering if a rollback is better or a full blown remap. I would like to retain my 4 year old car for another 6 years. Reliability is my main concern and I want the car to last for the remaining intended period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
..Did you find any solutions for your problem?
I remapped my Vento and got rid of the Jerk. Well, in fact this jerk was one of the main reasons I remapped it! Did around ~40k kms after the remap, now sold the car. No further issues.

However, once in a blue moon the EGR (glow plug light) does pop up.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 14:23   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend has Skoda Rapid 1.5TDI which has run 42000kms (3.5 years old). From past 3 months, he is also facing the same jerking issue. When the engine is cold & rpm is in 1000-1200 range, pressing accelerator gives a jerk.
Hey Kavensri!

For my annual service yesterday, we complained about the jerks and they performed the fuel injector minimum adaptation test. They call it the 'basic settings'. After doing this, the jerks have reduced to a large extent and is nearly back to normal. Just make sure there is more than half a tank of fuel.
Old 21st November 2018, 14:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Kavensri!
For my annual service yesterday, we complained about the jerks and they performed the fuel injector minimum adaptation test. They call it the 'basic settings'. After doing this, the jerks have reduced to a large extent and is nearly back to normal. Just make sure there is more than half a tank of fuel.
First of all, thanks for the information.
I just discussed about your post with him and this is what he told me.
He has already visited the service center 3 times for the same problem. Altogether, his car was there with them for more than 10 days. All the time they were investigating the issue. Once they did ‘fuel injector bleeding’ and the issue went off after that. But, after a month or so, the issue popped up again. He don’t know whether this ‘bleeding’ is same as ‘minimum adaption test’.
Anyway, he is due for annual service in next couple of weeks. So based on the information provided by you, I guess he is going to pursue this issue further with the service center people. You know what, his thinking is, service center people are clueless on this issue and hence does not have any high hopes of getting this issue resolved.
Old 21st November 2018, 14:48   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know what, his thinking is, service center people are clueless on this issue and hence does not have any high hopes of getting this issue resolved.
I understand what he's going through! There's no harm trying again. But dealing with the service centre is a pain in the neck!

Besides, the service advisor admitted that there are a lot of complaints. He wasn't willing to get into the details. Honestly, I'm looking forward for the next update to fix all these bugs. The punch is certainly down but fuel economy has sky rocketed- on a fairly free day in the city, the average fuel economy can go upto 18.5kmpl. But while idling in the city, it drinks much more than before.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:21   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I understand what he's going through! There's no harm trying again
Yes, he is definitely going to discuss this with SA when he goes for regular service.

Quote:
The punch is certainly down but fuel economy has sky rocketed- on a fairly free day in the city, the average fuel economy can go upto 18.5kmpl. But while idling in the city, it drinks much more than before.
Wow! Exactly the same thing he also observed. Both city and highway mileage sky rocked immediately after they did ‘bleeding’! He does not remember the ‘idling’ scenario though.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks