Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: VW owners, how was your experience?
I got the update & it was good / neutral 20 12.99%
I got the update & I'm unhappy with it 50 32.47%
I'm not taking my car in for the update 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2017, 13:08   #61
BHPian

Re: VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Over 2000kms of driving after the ECU update, its disappointing to drive the car to say the least. The car has become noisier and NVH has gone up.

The in-gear acceleration per gear has come way down and the ECU intervenes by suggesting an up-shift sooner and limiting the acceleration.

Remap is imminent to get the car back to its character.
What car is yours? I drive a Vento TDI 2012 model and I am not seeing any increase in noise after the update. Anyway 1.6 TDI is already a noisier engine. I did see that the power delivery is bit linear than before. But still not so much that it feels slower or drought of power.

Last edited by Crank : 1st July 2017 at 13:08. Reason: Better clarity
Old 1st July 2017, 16:37   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
What car is yours?
Mine is a Vento HL 2011 done about 113000kms.
I was looking to take it to a FNG to get the car checked thoroughly once.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:29   #63
BHPian

wondering if there is a way to Undo what is done, without voiding the warranty ?

Has anyone done it ?

Thanks
kk
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:46   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
wondering if there is a way to Undo what is done, without voiding the warranty ?

Has anyone done it ?

Thanks
kk
Technically, it should be possible to get the software to the original factory version and then update (if applicable) up to the diesel gate level. After all, it is just certain codes and configurations that are setup.

The question in point is, would VW want to do that! Currently the answer is NO. However, considering the diesel gate issue has no relevance to Indian emission standards, we should be collectively able to impress upon VW.
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:24   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have read on this site, they say it cannot be undone. There is a very good chance that this means that they will not undo it.

Some members have mentioned getting their vehicles tuned after the fix to restore (and even enhance?) the performance. I confess, I have not searched: I wonder if there is a thread devoted to post-fix VW tuning?
Old 4th July 2017, 20:31   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder if there is a thread devoted to post-fix VW tuning?
A remap can be done to fix. I think, I read somewhere in this thread only where somebody has rolled back to the original software. Also, many threads exist where remaps, performance tuning and mods have been done.
Old 11th July 2017, 14:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

I got a call last Friday from Vinayak Skoda asking me to get my Rapid 2012 1.6 TDI for the dieselgate software update. I said I was not interested. They said ok and hung up.

I didn't know it was going to be so easy. Will have to watch out during next service though. I plan to explore Bosch's Coco service center for my next service, since it is already five years since purchase. That should keep me insulated from Skoda's software update. Lets see.
Old 11th July 2017, 14:29   #68
Team-BHP Support

I had my Jetta updated during its service at the end of March. Having driven it around town and a trip to Hyderabad comments are as follows

1: Idle speed 900RPM - makes clutch a bit heavier
2: Initial pickup - slightly less
3: Mid Range - not too much change, a little less blunt
4: High Speed Cruising - No change
5: Fuel consumption - 5-10% worse

Car has 53000km on the clock. I used Shell V-Power on the trip to Hyderabad and normal diesel on the way back - not too much difference.

I might look at a remap for a little more zing
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 15:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

Majority of the votes are for option 3. People who decided to stay away from the upgrade. My car (Skoda Rapid 1.6) is due for the upgrade this Friday. I will ignore the opinions of those who voted for option 3. Looking at the opinions of those who have done the update, I can see there are more unhappy owners than happy ones. Now I'm in a dilemma what to do. Is there any way of reverting to the original software if I'm not happy with the update?
Old 12th July 2017, 15:04   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Now I'm in a dilemma what to do. Is there any way of reverting to the original software if I'm not happy with the update?
I doubt this would be possible.

What makes it worse is that I doubt Skoda will give a warranty and free of cost repair for any part that may go wrong after the update - especially given so many people are facing small issues with the car.
Old 12th July 2017, 19:04   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way of reverting to the original software if I'm not happy with the update?
As T-BHP is just-about my only source of such news, it must have been here that I read that VW claim this update cannot be reversed. I'm sure that what can be done can be undone (software tuning changes can't be undone?) but while VW maintain this flat denial it is effectively impossible to do. Unless/until someone discovers how to hack it.

If VW were not so hard-line with this write-only stance they might find more customers willing to try it.
Old 15th July 2017, 14:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Majority of the votes are for option 3. People who decided to stay away from the upgrade. My car (Skoda Rapid 1.6) is due for the upgrade this Friday. I will ignore the opinions of those who voted for option 3. Looking at the opinions of those who have done the update, I can see there are more unhappy owners than happy ones. Now I'm in a dilemma what to do. Is there any way of reverting to the original software if I'm not happy with the update?
At the time of posting the opinions are as follows:
- 60% have not done it but have decided not to do it based on other peoples experience.
- 12.17% are happy.
- 27.83% are unhappy.

I will stick with my decision to ignore the opinion of those who have not done it (thought I'll probably join them). Looking at the 40% who have done the update, the unhappy ones are more than double.
I was to do the update on Friday but the machine at the dealership broke down so I've rescheduled for 25th. I will go there and talk to the dealer and tell them I don't want the update. My reasons for the same are as follows:
- As stated earlier, the number of unhappy people are more than double the happy ones.
- I don't want to loose out on driving pleasure (even though I hardly use the car).
- The update is not reversible (at least officially).
- Dieselgate was cheating the American regulations. The cars still comply with the Indian regulations at the time when my car was purchased without the update.
- I maintain all my cars and will maintain this one too as long as I own it to ensure it complies with all environmental and safety regulations applicable to the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I doubt this would be possible.
One of the reasons why I want to skip the update.

Quote:
What makes it worse is that I doubt Skoda will give a warranty and free of cost repair for any part that may go wrong after the update - especially given so many people are facing small issues with the car.
My car will soon be out of warranty anyway.

Quote:
As T-BHP is just-about my only source of such news, it must have been here that I read that VW claim this update cannot be reversed. I'm sure that what can be done can be undone (software tuning changes can't be undone?) but while VW maintain this flat denial it is effectively impossible to do. Unless/until someone discovers how to hack it.

If VW were not so hard-line with this write-only stance they might find more customers willing to try it.
I guess the only way to do it is to do a remap. Most reamappers maintain a copy of the original map so it won't be difficult to find one. But if I'm going to pay someone for that I might as well go in for a proper re-map.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 11:47   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishore1984 View Post
wondering if there is a way to Undo what is done
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Technically, it should be possible to get the software to the original factory version and then update (if applicable) up to the diesel gate level. After all, it is just certain codes and configurations that are setup.
Quote:
From what I have read on this site, they say it cannot be undone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajthere View Post
A remap can be done to fix. I think, I read somewhere in this thread only where somebody has rolled back to the original software.
Quote:
... I read that VW claim this update cannot be reversed. I'm sure that what can be done can be undone (software tuning changes can't be undone?) but while VW maintain this flat denial it is effectively impossible to do.
From all the above it looks like the fix can be reverted. I checked with the VW service personnel known to me to understand what comprises the fix. It is a two step process in simple terms
  • adding a additional filter element
  • software remap
These two go hand in hand and hence if you have to revert it, the filter element also had to be removed as the software remap may screw up the whole thing with an additional filter in place. I hope this answers all the questions above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I got a call last Friday from Vinayak Skoda asking me to get my Rapid 2012 1.6 TDI for the dieselgate software update. I said I was not interested. They said ok and hung up.
Quote:
Majority of the votes are for option 3. People who decided to stay away from the upgrade. My car (Skoda Rapid 1.6) is due for the upgrade this Friday. Is there any way of reverting to the original software if I'm not happy with the update?
OK, to bust the whole thing a group of 8 of us set out for a 1000+ kms trip consisting of highway, city, narrow roads and hill/ghat road in my Vento and a friends Rapid. Both are high end 1.6 TDI, bought in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

The following were the inferences.
  • Engine noise is a bit increased than before
  • Acceleration is a bit linear though not annoying
  • Mileage was around 19+ kmpl - would have been better if we maintained cruising speeds.
  • Some of the drivers in the group felt Rapid took a bit longer to accelerate from rest than before
  • Vento's acceleration from rest also had a negative impact but not as much compared to the Rapid - as the owner of the vehicle, driving it for the last 4 years, I can clearly say its not that significant to bother
To summarize, I feel as it is good for the environment lets do it. To me, I didn't feel much of a difference and I am no laid-back/sedentary driver. You may need to change your driving style - if you have been driving your Vento/Rapid like a Swift then try to switch to Punto mode, which has a much linear acceleration than the former. That will bring back your smile.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th July 2017 at 14:27. Reason: High speed references removed. Thanks.
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 14:00   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
To summarize, I feel as it is good for the environment lets do it. To me, I didn't feel much of a difference and I am no laid-back/sedentary driver. You may need to change your driving style - if you have been driving your Vento/Rapid like a Swift then try to switch to Punto mode, which has a much linear acceleration than the former. That will bring back your smile.
Hi friend. I saw your earlier post (before editing by bblost) on the speeds at which you went. I am relieved that you and your friends are in one piece and nothing untoward happened when you went at such high speeds.

I would like to request all BHPians to please remember that there is someone waiting at home whenever you take the wheels. Please drive responsibly and safely, not only for your sake but also for your near and dear ones.

bblost, thanks for editing the message. Appreciate.

Last edited by hrman : 20th July 2017 at 14:04.
Old 22nd July 2017, 11:16   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi friend. I saw your earlier post (before editing by bblost) on the speeds at which you went. I am relieved that you and your friends are in one piece and nothing untoward happened when you went at such high speeds.

I would like to request all BHPians to please remember that there is someone waiting at home whenever you take the wheels. Please drive responsibly and safely, not only for your sake but also for your near and dear ones.
Agreed. It is certainly not safe to drive more than say 120 kmph in our roads. Just to note that the speed mentioned is not the one sustained for a longer duration. It is the peak speed for testing purposes. I used to touch high speeds normally, though mostly I may be running between 80 to 120 kmph. However, after the trip, based on the advice by friends, we made a resolution that we will not go more than peak speeds.

Not to deviate from the topic, have you shared your experience after the fix?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd July 2017 at 11:24. Reason: Removing references of high speeds. PLEASE REFRAIN. Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks