Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 14:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced

Ball joint popping off cannot be due to improper screw, right ? There is a tear in the metal after the joint and wish if the part towards the wheel was also provided in detail.

Maybe the part itself was defective mostly and its really bad on a vehicle which claims off-road prowess.

Now I really need to tend to my car's lower arm issue :(
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Posting on behalf of friend, Jayanta Phukan
Thanks for sharing this, I hope you are reporting directly from the affected person.

What good are Airbags, ABS, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Brake Assist, Hill Assist, Electronic Stability Program and Tractional Control when the wheels pop out just like that.

I adore this car just like many BHPians who voted it as COTY 2017. For the sake of numerous fans of this car, I hope Jeep offers a free of cost inspection to ensure safety of consumers.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:46   #33
BHPian

Such a failure reported for COTY, is unimaginable. The crown of COTY helps build a lot of confidence for owners and prospective buyers, but one such incident is enough to shatter it. Now it will be interesting to see how Jeep acts on it and how much time it takes for them to compensate the owner. Feels like Jeep has Indianised their QAQC procedures too.
skchettry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 15:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

This particular FIAT factory at Pune handles FIAT cars, TATA cars & now JEEPS too.
Do I see the saying that "Too many cooks spoil the soup" getting true!!

My last visit to that factory had left me with some inhibitions, especially in the way the cars were being handled inside the factory and if I remember it right then I was told that only random pieces are chosen for testing. I don't know if it is true for JEEP vehicles too.

But this is scary. In fact I had got this news last night through a common friend of the new JEEP owner.

My new tagline to people buying Jeep "PEEP DEEP BEFORE YOU BUY A JEEP"

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 1st February 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Grammar
ariesonu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 15:25   #35
BHPian

Very disappointing and totally ridiculous.

Such things simply should not happen with premium automobiles - I use the word premium because that is how Jeep is positioning itself here in India.

I wish Indian laws were strong enough to ensure the owners take Jeep to the cleaners and extracted a huge Million $ penalty. How can they charge INR 20L and deliver a vehicle whose wheel pops out?

And yet, this thread is so benign towards Jeep.
And we have seen totally over the top comments when the vehicle in question was a Mahindra or a Tata, even when the issue was a squeaking door or a malfunctioning auto-wiper or some such non-life threatening issues.

Blinded by the shine of foreign brands, are we?
lazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 16:00   #36
Team-BHP Support

Since India is the main manufacturing hub for RHD Compass, I don't think they will compromise on quality. Even on other FIAT models, we have mostly known them for solidly built cars. Let's give them time to check and answer. Best will be to reach out the customer on priority and assure him that they stand behind the product and will do everything possible to resolve, shying away is not going to be helpful.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 16:11   #37
BHPian

If possible, the COTY on Compass should be retracted, retroactively. Though this would be without precedent, it would shed the right light on FCAs attitude. Such a move would do more good than harm - by the way of negative publicity making them sit up and take notice, rather than making others buy a defective product.
bsdbsd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 20:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
If possible, the COTY on Compass should be retracted, retroactively. Though this would be without precedent, it would shed the right light on FCAs attitude. Such a move would do more good than harm - by the way of negative publicity making them sit up and take notice, rather than making others buy a defective product.
I agree with you!. Jeep has been using the COTY award on our forum as one of their proud marketing statements while promoting the Compass.

Let us pull it down to show our displeasure on this incident .

A slight slip up here or there can happen sometimes when a new car is manufactured/delivered. But this is mind boggling .

What can they do now? Firstly acknowledge, apologise, regret, fix, shower some goodwill on the affected customer and pro-actively check recently sold cars for any similar issues by issuing a recall of some sort.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 21:17   #39
BHPian

Wow! that is some news. I feel really sorry for the owner who purchased this seemingly premium car only to have this on the very first day. At the same time I'm happy that all occupants are safe.

How can this happen to a brand new car. No matter how reliable or unreliable the company may be. If something like this had happened to say Alto or Nano, we would have gone crazy about cost cutting and build quality of their respective brands. What good is the build quality of an European car if it fails on its very first day. That too of this nature. I think Jeep should replace this car and the owner should insist for that.
Old 1st February 2018, 22:44   #40
BHPian

I would encourage the Moderators to retract the COTY award if this is not a one off defect -

if other safety problems (minor or major) are known, these should be highlighted (URL link to team bhp thread as well), in the official review that tbhp has
vivekrvcse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 23:57   #41
BHPian

One small doubt! Jeep claims this is the exact same compass that goes to export markets as well. Wonder what is the quality of those Jeeps, and what image will compass or jeep lead to in those markets too.
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:11   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Posting on behalf of a friend
That's scary.

Was there any update from your friend or FCA in these couple of days? If possible please get the cleat snaps of knuckle & ball joint (highlighted in below snap)

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-13118-184605.jpg

PS: Jeep is still well built, even the fender cladding and mud flaps are intact, leave apart the (sheet) metal parts.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Just read the latest update by the owner in the original poston Facebook :

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-screenshot_20180202094346_01.png
Screenshot taken at 09:43 AM today

Would appreciate if OP could get more details from the owner
Klub Class is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

Attachment 1723152
Screenshot taken at 09:43 AM today

Would appreciate if OP could get more details from the owner
Very good and appreciable move on Jeeps part... awaiting confirmation.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:09   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
If possible, the COTY on Compass should be retracted, retroactively.
I don't agree. This will be too harsh, IMO. Incident like these are unacceptable, no doubt about that, but this is one off case and not some manufacturing defect plaguing all the vehicles. Although it looks like that the defect rolled out from the factory itself, we cannot rule out possibility of mishap during transit or at dealer end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Kudos to FCA for not lugging the matter and doing the right thing in just two days.
Moto_Hill is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks