Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2021, 20:20   #61
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Is there anything else that I can do in this scenario?
Hi GKR, just went through your thread and it is giving me mixed feelings.

1. Any work close to the engine compartment is a pain, not to mention taking it down? Outside warranty, this will put the labour at Rs. 15,000 premium - and I had to go through the same twice.
2. Thank god this happened within the warranty period, at least it gives a lot of relief on the replacements, cost of repair etc.

There is nothing much to do beyond what you have done by keeping your eyes open to all possible leaks etc. But trust your car and be a bit cautious on service visits to ensure that all your unanswered queries are handled well with convincing answers.

Last month I took our car to ERAM Calicut since I am back home in Wayanad since lockdown for our 1.5 Lakh service.

I had a few suspected noises, which I attributed to Turbo. I got them to check for all possible leaks as well I get my oil drained and replaced all 5K since my car drives within Wayanad.

I think for a Customer like me, that's the max I could do beyond being watchful for oil marks, the right noises etc.

But do note that these cases are very rare and look like your car is in some really good shape. Just enjoy the car, it goes like a breeze along Wayanad roads.

BTW: The pic of your car looks like Chundale - Meppadi road? Do you work there?
Old 8th March 2021, 21:28   #62
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
There is nothing much to do beyond what you have done by keeping your eyes open to all possible leaks etc. But trust your car and be a bit cautious on service visits to ensure that all your unanswered queries are handled well with convincing answers.
Yep..I guess we need to be a bit more attentive when it comes to our steeds. Hopefully we can enjoy them to their fullest.

Quote:
BTW: The pic of your car looks like Chundale - Meppadi road? Do you work there?
Yeah..I used to work at Aster DM WIMS hospital, Meppadi. Not anymore though. I shifted my work place close to my home town in Ernakulam this February. Maybe we can have a meet next time I come to Wayanad?
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:42   #63

Re: My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required

Hi Team mates,

Looking for your valuable suggestions and views on the issue being faced by me with my 2015 model XUV 500, W6 model.

During the 40000km servicing at Kochi through Mahindra ASC (Ms Pothens Mahindra), the engine oil was changed. However, around 46000+kms, momentarily the engine oil warning started illuminating, while negotiating sharp bends at reasonable speeds and thereafter it vanishes. During the oil level check using dipstick, to my hoarer, the oil level was found way below the minimum mark. The vehicle was immediately taken to to the nearest Mahindra ASC at Pathanmthitta (Ms Intrepid Works ) for a checkup and they could not identify any external leak. At that point of time, it was suspected that during the 40k service, probably the oil was not topped up to the required level by the technician (to which there is no way I can prove it). As advised by the ASC, the balance oil in the sump was drained and replenished with new oil and oil filter. Thereafter, the vehicle was running satisfactorily.

However, again now around 58000+ Kms, the engine oil warning started illuminating momentarily, while negotiating sharp bends at reasonable speeds and upon checking the oil level, its found below the minimum level mark. Also, during the first startup for the day, white smoke exits from the exhaust considerably for the initial few seconds and thereafter it subsidize.

Would be grateful if you could throw some light on the manner in which the issue should be tacked, especially looking at the manner in which Mahindra ASCs deals with such complicated engine issues and puts the customers into very difficult situations.
Old 21st December 2021, 21:24   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyjoein View Post
Hi Team mates,

Looking for your valuable suggestions and views on the issue being faced by me with my 2015 model XUV 500, W6 model.

During the 40000km servicing at Kochi through Mahindra ASC (Ms Pothens Mahindra), the engine oil was changed. However, around 46000+kms, momentarily the engine oil warning started illuminating, while negotiating sharp bends at reasonable speeds and thereafter it vanishes. During the oil level check using dipstick, to my hoarer, the oil level was found way below the minimum mark. The vehicle was immediately taken to to the nearest Mahindra ASC at Pathanmthitta (Ms Intrepid Works ) for a checkup and they could not identify any external leak. At that point of time, it was suspected that during the 40k service, probably the oil was not topped up to the required level by the technician (to which there is no way I can prove it). As advised by the ASC, the balance oil in the sump was drained and replenished with new oil and oil filter. Thereafter, the vehicle was running satisfactorily.

However, again now around 58000+ Kms, the engine oil warning started illuminating momentarily, while negotiating sharp bends at reasonable speeds and upon checking the oil level, its found below the minimum level mark. Also, during the first startup for the day, white smoke exits from the exhaust considerably for the initial few seconds and thereafter it subsidize.

Would be grateful if you could throw some light on the manner in which the issue should be tacked, especially looking at the manner in which Mahindra ASCs deals with such complicated engine issues and puts the customers into very difficult situations.
Please ask them to check for oil leak from the sump or timing side. If that is fine then maybe the piston rings are troublesome. This calls for major work. Please take a second opinion with an FNG.
Old 21st December 2021, 22:45   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Before starting the vehicle for the day, check the oil level on the cold engine. If it is between the marks, you are good. mHawk will clatter at cold start for a few seconds and then it will be smooth once the oil pressure light goes off, you will hear this only on cold start.

Oil pressure warning light can flash randomly if there is a loose contact between the oil pressure sensor and instrument cluster. However due to whatever reasons that turbo has started to consume oil, the damage may already be done.

If you are in Kochi take the vehicle over to Vayalat Mahindra, meet Senthil the SM and explain the situation to him.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, during the first startup for the day, white smoke exits from the exhaust considerably for the initial few seconds and thereafter it subsidize.
Small concern here.

A little white smoke is okay at cold startup. Not thereafter.

If there is no leak to be found anywhere (from the sump, floor pan or on the floor where the vehicle is parked), I suspect your engine is burning oil. Not a good sign for a vehicle that has run only 58,000km. You need to check for white or blue smoke under acceleration. The latter is usually a sign of a blown head gasket which results in coolant and oil mixing and burning. Keep a close check on coolant levels too.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 15:52   #67
BHPian

UPDATE

Here comes 2022 November and the car had multiple running repair over the year including replacement of suspension and vacuum modulator.

August 2022:

Around August when I was back home for Onam Holidays - there was some additional noise on engine idle, which increases on throttle. Though ERAM Wayanad & Calicut took some time to diagnose, they pointed fingers at a suspected faulty AC Compressor. The compressor replacement including labor was quoted at 32K by mahindra.

I thought of saving some money here, and had the work done by my FNG, who sources genuine spares and during the process I replaced, Compressor, Evaporator & Condenser along with associated fittings - including AC gas replacing. I got the whole thing at around 40K - and I am quite satisfied by the way they could handle the case.

Nov 2022

Given that I had a previous running repair at FNG, I took my car of 150,000KM service at the infamous Pothens Mahindra. Just because I had an SA who had previously worked on my car while he was with KTC back in 2014-2016.

Beyond the regular service, I had a few checks including cleaning of the intercooler hose as I see some black smoke on hard throttle.

The SA gave me a call about suspected oil leak from timing cover, and asked for my feedback. I was shocked as after such a major work which was done 20K KMS back has returned.

I advised him not to touch the car, and I took the car back. Now I have written to Mahindra - on their word on this.

Quite unlike the previous Mahindra engagement, they routed my email back to Pothens.

I have clearly mentioned that I do not plan to engage Pothens at this point, and I am waiting for Mahindra's word on it.
Old 21st February 2023, 18:07   #68
BHPian

UPDATE on February 2023

In 25,000 KMs my car needs another oil leak repair around the timing chain.

This time I thought of dealing directly with Mahindra service alone, and looks like they are in no plans to help a 10 year old car.

The timing cover leak is minimal and has popped up in less than 25K of use. As the company policy does not provide warranty on the work post 6 months or 25,000 KM we are stuck.

So as per the Service Manager of Mahindra in Kerala I have to be prepared to spend
Rs. 15,000 min every 20K KM odd to repair my timing cover as they cannot vouch for the craftsman ship of the MASS.

I would have stayed silent and calmly done the work if this was the first time for the car, given this is 10 years plus. But given the fact that this is the 3rd time despite taking this to MASS - I am disappointed.

Just scared of how much more money will burn into the car. We are actively considering a beater car at home for my dad so that we can save the amount of money we spend on repairing the XUV5OO.

Not to forget the way she still drives, its a pain when Mahindra SA's and dealers drop such bombs for customers like us.
Old 21st February 2023, 18:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
In 25,000 KMs my car needs another oil leak repair around the timing chain.

This time I thought of dealing directly with Mahindra service alone, and looks like they are in no plans to help a 10 year old car.

So as per the Service Manager of Mahindra in Kerala I have to be prepared to spend
Rs. 15,000 min every 20K KM odd to repair my timing cover as they cannot vouch for the craftsman ship of the MASS.

I would have stayed silent and calmly done the work if this was the first time for the car, given this is 10 years plus. But given the fact that this is the 3rd time despite taking this to MASS - I am disappointed.
I think you really should look at a competent a FNG if possible as if the engine was overhauled competently such issues should not arise OTOH you can if possible contact a mechanic called Mukesh Chandra Gond from Noida and you will have to bring the car here but seeing his videos on youtube i think he should be able to help you out.

Another possible solution is replace an engine with either an accident vehicle or get a good engine from Delhi with the 10 year rule in place it shouldn't be hard to find an one.
Old 21st February 2023, 18:58   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE on February 2023

The timing cover leak is minimal and has popped up in less than 25K of use. As the company policy does not provide warranty on the work post 6 months or 25,000 KM we are stuck.

I did not understand why you need 15k to fix timing chain cover leak. In cars with timing chain, there is a timing chain cover gasket that is replaced whenevr the chain cover is opened. If the oil leak is from the chain cover then replacing this gasket should fix the leak. This will definitely not cost 15k

This is how the gasket looks like for the Scorpio engine.

Timing cover gasket
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-gask...cover-6596861/

Crank cover gasket
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-gask..._rtnr-6596860/

Add a few hundred bucks of labor.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 21st February 2023 at 19:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks